Scott Mathauser Pads Brake Pad

4.37/5 (30 Reviews)

Scott Mathauser Pads

Submitted by Rascal a Cross Country Rider from Lismore, NSW, AU

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2010

Strengths:    Amazing stopping power due to huge surface area, finned cooling, special compound. Awesome durability.

Weaknesses:    Fiddle to get it on first time and line up against rim. The convex/concave washers too a bit to understand. Squeals a bit when first on, don't they all?

Bottom Line:
Every other pad is rated against this one. Unbeatable stopping power, even in wet. Awesome durability, still running rears after 15 yrs! This is after many 1000s of km, with commuting day to day and touring in rain, mud and sand. This piece of kit, while more cost than other pads, has given me the least trouble and the most reliability. It never failed to stop. After using them for a few years, I had a near miss with a oncoming car at an intersection. I panicked, locked up both wheels, power-slid behind the car, and kept going across the intersection, then I realised I had a flat. The rear tyre was worn down to the tube! Other pads would have seen me in the back window of the car. I still have the old finned shoes which have worn to bear metal, just in case I can glue on some replacement pads! Wish I could get the cassette SMs! ooo, just found some unused 15yr old spare SM pads in bottom of tool box! woot!

Favorite Trail:   South Bruny Island, Tasmania

Purchased At:   Inner City Cycles, G

Similar Products Used:   Shimano trade pads

Bike Setup:   531 Reynolds steel touring road bike

Submitted by coltonherrera a Downhiller from federal way,WA, United states

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2008

Strengths:    classic cool look, stop like a disc brake,

Weaknesses:    the chance of when riding fakie and grabbin the brakes, the pads might shootout but no big deal

Bottom Line:
these pads are the best

Favorite Trail:   dsdfghj

Purchased At:   ghy bikes, where i w

Similar Products Used:   nothin compares

Bike Setup:   BMX fit aitken S 3.5, profile hubs, campy hiddenset, baller

Submitted by Mick Coyle a Weekend Warrior from San Anselmo, CA

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2005

Strengths:    Considering all types of conditions, probably the best pads I have ever used. Excellent power in dry and especially wet conditions. I like to ride in the rain down steep, switch-back roads. Decent modulation, more predictable than other pads, especially in severe conditions. As long as they are set up correctly from the get-go, ignore them, they willseemingly last forever. I have had them on my current bike for about 5-6 years, and there is plenty of rubber left. If you can find any 1980's-style Campy shoes, and "Mathauser C" pads, they slip right in for a road bike. I had some Mathauser pads left over from when I owned a bike shop (over 13 years ago!), and they still work better than any other pads (Dura-Ace brakes).

Weaknesses:    No longer made, so availability is an issue. They are not curved to fit the rim, so just be careful (as you normally should be) in mounting them to the brakes-no sweat!

Bottom Line:
From when I started racing in 1972, and then 17 years in the bicyicle business, these are the best pads I have found.

Purchased At:   My bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Kool-stop, Dura-Ace, Delta, and others...

Bike Setup:   Merlin, Dura-Ace, Mavic, etc.

Submitted by leximog a Cross Country Rider from Mannington

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2002

Strengths:    Long lasting, grippy, cool color

Weaknesses:    unavailability, takkes a little time to wear in and develop full stopping power

Bottom Line:
Brake pad manufacturers would go out of business if these pads were sold OEM, they last and last and last and stop on a dime. Running salmon kool-stops nowadays, I guess they are the same compound, have seen off two other sets of pads on the other wheel and yet to wear out...

Favorite Trail:   the blowhard track

Purchased At:   adventure cycles NZ

Similar Products Used:   shimano, kool-stops

Bike Setup:   kona explosif

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2002

Strengths:    Very grippy. Turns a sidepull into a canti. Turns a canti into a V-brake. Turns a V-brake into a disc.
Pads wear very well. Does not turn rims into a black gooey mess in the rain, like Shimano pads. Do not pick up chunks of rim material like other pads.

Weaknesses:    Have to be toed-in slightly to prevent squeal if you have flexible brake arms. This is more a weakness of the brake arms.

Bottom Line:
These are hard(!) to find, but worth it.

I discovered a supply of these 6 months ago, and installed them on 3 of my bikes. Best braking power I've ever had. Easy on rims, as they do not pick up metal from the rims or dirt/small rocks. I also found a lifetime supply of new pads for the finned magnesium pad holders. I want to pick up more of the finned holders (S pad version) if anyone has extras and is willing to part with them.

Favorite Trail:   Jumping Pound Ridge

Similar Products Used:   Everything. Koolstop, Shimano pads, Diacompe, Campy & Modolo road pads, all kinds of retro stuff.

Bike Setup:   5 bikes: 2 x road, commuter, 2 x MTB.

Submitted by Dan Charbonneau a Cross Country Rider from Orleans, Ont, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2001

Strengths:    These brakes have tremendous stopping power and they have a long life time.

Weaknesses:    With rain they squeak and gives small jolts, with sand or mudd, you here it rubb on the rim for a good while.

Bottom Line:
Good breaking in any weather at a reasonable price suits any rider needing replacement v-brakes. downer is the squeak.

Purchased At:   Orleans Cycle

Bike Setup:   Norco NX2000 '00 FS

Submitted by gargantuo a Cross-Country Rider from wi

Date Reviewed: August 23, 1999

Bottom Line:
Heres current info, it looks like I can't get no more pads for my finned aluminum SM's, but I guess I'll try the kool stops

Submitted by jmarc a Cross-Country Rider from parker co

Date Reviewed: August 4, 1999

Strengths:
The best I've used in 18 yrs of serious bicycling

Weaknesses:
They are scarce. Usually a product that works as well as this is more popular--due to Market forces, but.....

Bottom Line:
In many years of bicycling, I've used some that work almost as good, but none better than Mathauser pads. I've turned other people on to them, (people who use every trendy component that comes along) and most agree that they are unbeatable.

several up the Poudre Canyon

more than 3 years

Some stock shimano and the like that came with various bikes

I have a Ritchey Ultra from 1988 (no suspension whatsoever) and a couple of road bikes

Submitted by Thomas Smith a Cross-Country Rider from Champaign, IL

Date Reviewed: July 15, 1999

Strengths:
excellent stopping power
very long-lasting

Weaknesses:
squeal a bit when new (disappears after the glaze wears off the rubber)

Bottom Line:
Excellent pads, although (as I understand) no longer made.
NOTE: Kool-Stop now makes pads with the wonderful (iron oxide) Scott-Mathauser rubber compound. These are the salmon-colored (only) pads, available in several styles (including V-brake style). A bit hard to find. Sheldon Brown at Harris Cyclery (on the 'net) sells them (and his website explains why they're the best).

Shimano
Kool-Stop reds
Aztec

Submitted by Eric FAUCON a weekend warrior from STRASBOURG, FRANCE

Date Reviewed: January 20, 1999

Bottom Line:

I was very disapointed by these Mathauser Pads. I was told that they broke hard, and bought them 200 F, which is very expensive for 2 pads here. Ya, they're light. No, they don't brake ! My former pads bought 20 F were better ! That's why I gave them to my little brother, who likes cool riding. Don't buy them !!! I'm sure you brake better with just ONE shimano XT pad on your bike !
One star 'cause my brother needed new pads...

Submitted by Lola Montana a racer from Texas

Date Reviewed: December 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful. awful.

Submitted by Erik a cross-country rider from Jettingen in Black Forrest -Germany

Date Reviewed: June 30, 1998

Bottom Line:

I was riding with Lx cantis and lx shim. pads with mavic 217's ub sup.
No problems what so ever with shimano - got these over mail order as replacement pads just out of curiosity to all the praising.
How are these supposed to be set up ? They have no curve as the shimanos.
On my rim their corners would either hang out on the bottom of the rim or scrape the tire . To braking - i don't really know -swtched back to shimano too
soon . Make em curved and i'll try again.

Submitted by Stewart C. Russell a cross-country rider from Glasgow, Scotland

Date Reviewed: January 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

With a bit of ingenuity, you can fit these to LX V-brakes (look for the shoes designed for U-brakes). These have survived a couple of months of wet winter commuting, and are hardly worn; the original Shimano pads lasted less than two weeks. They're a little noisy sometimes, but the extra control in fast traffic is useful.

Submitted by Patrick Leung a weekend warrior from british Columbia, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 2, 1998

Bottom Line:

These Mathausers are quite different than most pads that I have tried. Five: stops excellent in dry or wet, *long* lasting, mushy brake feel, cheap looking, expensive. Both road bike and MTB have these. My road pairs outlasted 3 bikes and no, they didn't chew up the rims like some people believe. I heard that Koolstop's pads that have the scott/math. colour are really the same compound?

Submitted by Paul Weeks a cross-country rider from Hampton, NH

Date Reviewed: December 1, 1997

Bottom Line:

I have used the original Mathausers (curved shoe with aluminum cooling fins) for over 20 years(not a misprint) on my Raleigh Competition road bike. They never wear out! 5 chillies!