Ritchey Pads Brake Pad

4.19/5 (78 Reviews)

Ritchey Logic Pads

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2007

Strengths:    Kool "Whale Tail" design, Softer compound, Stops faster & Less rim sidewall marking when compared to stock pads.

Weaknesses:    Pads still cause a squeaking sound even if they are clean or dirty or set-up correctly or even in-correctly.

Bottom Line:
I purchased these in the funky red colour, when compared to my bikes matte peacock blue colour. There shaped like that of a Humped Back Whales tail fin & or like that of late 1990's Porsche 911 Turbos rear wing. The pads are of a softer compound then what came with the stock Shimano Acera X brake arms. They stop faster & mark up your rims a lot less. They still make squeaking sounds in any or all cycling situations. Compared to my Hayes (HFX 9 XC) - they make your bike stop on a dime, but only give back 3-4 cents.
Bottom Line: I still use them to this day, when ever my 2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk is in for service. It teaches me that you can't always do last second hard braking & to think ahead. I learned this lesson when a child ran out infront of me (crossing a waterfront bike path) and my front wheel nearly made contact.

Purchased At:   bike Nashbar (1997)

Similar Products Used:   Stock cantilever pads on a 1994 Raleigh Matterhorn & 1996 GT Ricochet.

Bike Setup:   1996 GT Ricochet - on this bike to this day, since purchasing them back in 1997.

Submitted by marxtrain a Weekend Warrior from Asheville, NC

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2003

Strengths:    Awesome stopping power, effortless braking ability

Weaknesses:    haven't discovered yet

Bottom Line:
Just screwing around in the yard I find them to have awesome stopping power. I was extremely impressed that qick. No way they can let me down on the trail. Supreme braking ability. Easy to endo with. Stop with minimal finger effort. I bought the blues for extreme conditions and they look mighty darn cool on the bike! Can't wait to get them wet and to test the longevity...... I like 'em! 5 flammin' chilis fer shur!!

Favorite Trail:   Cove Creek (so far)

Similar Products Used:   Sticky fingers, Diacompe

Bike Setup:   '03 Iguana, stock..... check the specs at Giant-bicycles.com

Submitted by Erik a Cross Country Rider from Sweden

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2001

Strengths:    The Blue pads are supreem in the wet and mud.

Weaknesses:    A little expensive for a students budget.

Bottom Line:
The BLUE pads stop quicker than any other pad on the market when your rims are wet and mudy. Are better than the Red pads. You have to be willing to trade a little "dry condition braking" to get superb "wet braking". Dam good pads for muddy XC riding.

Five Burning "Road Bikers" for these pads

Favorite Trail:   Hometown

Purchased At:   Sportson

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Backyard Pads, Other Richies

Bike Setup:   Crescent Balder, Michelein Comp s, Mavic 517.

Submitted by Gerr Hulme a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2001

Strengths:    Finally, after numberous other pads, brake boosters, toe ins, new Avid brakes, etc; no more front wheel noise. These pads stop all the braking Squeal, (even without proper toe-in.)

Bottom Line:
Stopped all my front wheel squeal with braking.

Favorite Trail:   Colorado Trail.

Purchased At:   REI Flagship store in Denver

Bike Setup:   Raven, Spinergy front wheel, Lockout (had the noise on any wheel I tried.)

Submitted by Kent a Cross-Country Rider from Brighton,MI

Date Reviewed: October 11, 1999

Strengths:
they react almost the same wet, muddy or dry

Weaknesses:
none found

Bottom Line:
I use the red logic pads on many lower Michigan courses.Many conditions to test these brakes...wet grimy dark mud in spring rides, dry dusty hardpack in summer, snow and ice in winter.These brakes work great for all conditions.The best choice for Michiganders.

POTTO

more than 3 years

GT RTS-3

Submitted by 3 Sigma a weekend warrior from Lakewood

Date Reviewed: December 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

I recently tried the Ritchey Red Pads on my Avid Arch Supreme brakes. These pads are AWFUL! They made my Avid brakes perform as if they were old cantilevers. After attempting to adjust the Ritcheys (toe-in, alignment, etc.) and having no performance increase, I replaced them with the Avid Wranger Pads. What a difference. My braking performance is back!!
Stay away from the Ritchey Red Pads.

Submitted by john a downhiller from md

Date Reviewed: November 12, 1998

Bottom Line:

i ride freestyle bmx and wanted one finger breaking so i could bust big on technical lip and street tricks. i heard these pads were the bomb so i got them. i am now VERY DISAPOINTED. i don't ride in the rain or mud so i don't know how they handel bad conditions but in otherwise perfect conditions where all break pads should kick but these did not. i used every toe, sand down, and rough up technique i knew and nothing worked. the only thing that i can think of is that they don't work well on rims that are chrome plated as mostly all good BMX rim's are including mine. they may perform greate on unfinished rims or under adverse conditions but under the conditions that i am performing i would not recomend them.

Submitted by steve a weekend warrior from Maryland

Date Reviewed: November 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

I recently put these on my touring bike to replace the OEM Shimano pads. What a difference! Now, I can actually stop without too much planning. The Shimano pads felt like they were carved from a block of granite, but still streaked my rims. Unlike an earlier post, I've had no problem in the rain. Having machined rims really helpds here.

Submitted by Guido Kerssens a cross-country rider from the Netherlands

Date Reviewed: October 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

Maybe some people won't agree (due to set up????), but...........
Red Ritchey Logic pads (no V-brake) are really great. In this wet land I am using the same pads for more than three years now.
Do I use my brakes? Okay not much but have you ever stopped for Amsterdam traffic?
I have been riding them in the Dolomites and still they look quite alright.
Next weel I'm going to the Cevennes in France and I'm not going to use new ones, cause they are still fine.Ritchey, please keep making these babies for us, the old fashioned cantilever users.

Submitted by Greg a weekend warrior from Point Mugu, CA

Date Reviewed: September 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

If you like spoungy pads these are for you. I got a set on my Avid braks and they were mushy until I put some XTR pads on. Watch them when you squeeze your brake levers, you can actually see pads flex and compess. I toss them right away. Other than that I have no problem with Ritchey. Except his magazine adds.

Submitted by Pete a cross-country rider from Milton, Ont, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 31, 1998

Bottom Line:

I replaced my LX pads with Ritchey black pads. What a difference! The Ritcheys have excellent stopping power, wear well, and so far (8 months) haven't worn my rims. They also work well (for me) in mud and wet, at least as well as I would expect under those conditions. My only complaint is the price ( about $12CDN per pair in Canada), about twice as much as Kool Stop (which I will try when the Ritcheys wear out). 5 chili's, minus 1 chili for the high price.

Submitted by Kris from AK

Date Reviewed: July 24, 1998

Bottom Line:

I put these BLACK brake pads on my bike for a wonderful tour of British Columbia(1800 miles). They work great when it is NOT RAINING, but in the RAIN THEY STINK. I COULD NOT SLOW MY FULLY LOADED TOURING BIKE(5O KILOS) DOWN AT ALL OVER AT LEAST 150 FEET, VERY DANGEROUS!!!!!!!!!!

Submitted by Ken Mitton a weekend warrior from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: July 10, 1998

Bottom Line:

A must if you want to stick with cantis.Used the Blacks to replace some stock pads---huge improvement. Great for commuting in the rain, and dry fire roads and singletrack. I won't ride a bike without them. The oversize format seems durable and long-lasting, and I haven't had problems getting my wheels off (1.9). Try the Reds for more serious stuff.

Submitted by Judd Austin a cross-country rider from Castro Valley, CA

Date Reviewed: June 25, 1998

Bottom Line:

Hey! How come no one is complaining about having to deflate your tires to get off the front wheel off if you run over a 2.0 with these pads?! I can name five people with three different forks, all with the same problem. Good pads,much better than stock. A solid upgrade but they don't compare to V-brakes.

Submitted by Felipão a weekend warrior from Brazil

Date Reviewed: June 1, 1998

Bottom Line:

Ahhhh,my set of red Ritchey pads!!!So sweet,so good....the best I ever used.The black ones are stinky,cause they dont work on mud and water,but the Red ones....are incredible...works anywhere,in any condition and lasts!!!!!I was riding six days per week,in muddy conditions and my pads are like new!!!In one word:SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!the best pads your money could buy!!!!!!!!

knee/shin pads thigh straps?

I don't have experience with this so hopefully someone can chime in. I mostly bike in regular shorts. I've noticed some pads have a thigh strap, some don't - what happens to the knee pad if it's not strapped down and I'm wearing shorts? Do they just flop all over the place? Anything else to consid ... Read More »

Anyone have the Demon Hyper knee x d30 knee pads?

anyone have the Demon Hyper Knee X D30 Knee pads? are they comfortable? are they low profile? [url=http://store.demonunited.com/Demon_Hyper_Knee_X_D3O_p/ds5125.htm]Demon Hyper Knee X D3O[/url]Read More »

Do thick pads in shorts hurt your B-hole?

Not sure if its the shorts, saddle or just part of getting old, but in the last few years my B-hole has been bothering me. Last night I rode 22miles in an old pair of knickers that have a thinner pad than my fancy PI elites and my anus is much less irritated. Anyone else have a similar issue? ... Read More »

Found helmet, pads, gloves at Duthie

Not exactly in the park, of course, but if you lost them you know where. Lemme know if they're yours. Oh, and the perfect amount of rain on the trails last night! :thumbsup:Read More »

Replacing pads and resetting pistons on Elixir 5

Hey, so I thought that replacing the pads on my Elixir 5 brakes would be an easy job, but I just can't seem to push the pistons back far enough to get enough space between the pads. I'm using a big screwdriver to wedge the old pads apart just like the pinkbike video says. Maybe I need to get into ... Read More »