Magura Brake Pads Brake Pad

4.24/5 (17 Reviews)

Replacement brake pads for Magura hydraulic disc brake systems. Various applications, as listed.Type 6.1 and 6.2 fitThe following models: Marta 09-Current Louise 07-Current Julie 09-Current All kits includes pads for 1 brake, order 2 if you need enough for one whole bike. Select "Endurance" compound for longest pad life, "Performance" for strongest braking power.

Submitted by Derek a Weekend Warrior from CA

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2008

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Not for someone looking an instant stopping power like trials riders and anyone that doesn't need modulation on their brakes.

Bottom Line:
My Magura HS33 came with these black pads so I decided to try it for fun. It's great if you're looking for some modulation but it doesn't work at all for trials riding.

I ended up purchasing the Rock blue pads from trialspads.com and the stopping power has been instant. (Price & service is wonderful also)

Good for anyone wanting some 'dragging' feel for their brakes but defintely a big no-no for a trials rider.

Similar Products Used:   Rock blue pads, plazmatic CRM pads, koxx bloxx brown

Bike Setup:   Megamo trials bike

Submitted by Calvin Delamere a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2007

Strengths:    pad life.

Weaknesses:    there are hs33 pads with MUCH better grip.

Bottom Line:
i have ridden on red, black, and gray. all suck for lock, red is the best of those. there is a reason i got all these pads for free, cause they suck, especially the gray. but why would you buy these pads when you can buy pads that give you a lot more power for the same price or even for cheaper...

Favorite Trail:   nope

Purchased At:   a magura rep/others came with my brake

Similar Products Used:   Plazmatic CRM, echo red.

Bike Setup:   (trials) GU typhoon mod, hs 33 raceline yellow, echo cnc clamps, adamant booster, koxx rim.

Submitted by Alan a Cross Country Rider from GTA, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2004

Strengths:    these pads wear out fast because they are soft by give A++ grip on to the rims.

Weaknesses:    wear out fast....thats all...you might need to clean your rim more often as I used magura hydro rim brakes.

Bottom Line:
great pads for XC/Hardtail used. I think it depends on the brakes if you go extream DH & Freeride with them because mine are rims and I mostly do hardtail

Purchased At:   came w/ brakes

Bike Setup:   Magura HS33, Klein, RockShox Pyslo SL, RaceFace, XT, Avid front disc, Mavic, Chris King, Profile Design

Submitted by Luke a Weekend Warrior from Uk

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2002

Strengths:    many types like Red koolstop for trails and greenfrog for ceramic coated rims. Powerful and cool.

Weaknesses:    none really that i can think of.

Bottom Line:
Hey mona no offence to the girls but you suck and it was probably your fault hahah you feel of your boy freinds bike hahahha LOSER! Theese brakes have so many types they are kick ass and that is the bottom line!

Favorite Trail:   dirt/ trails

Purchased At:   Surf 55 (kings lynn Norfolk)

Similar Products Used:   3 types of magura brake pads greenfrog. black and trail red koolstops

Bike Setup:   DDG shooter, azonic ors stem, magura hs33 brakes, easton EA50 monkey bar, FSA pig, front hope bulb hub, Marzocchi Dirt jumper 1, FSA power pro cranks, DMR saturn 32 th chain ring, shimano MX30 flat pedals, XT 9spd pod shifter, Halo combat rims, Ultima bash ring, Tioga 2.3 front and 2.1 rear, shimano XT 9spd chain set. Lx deore rear hub. shimano Deore derailleur, on one trials Dj seat' Boring seat post and race face goodn evil grips

Submitted by Martin Somerfield from Birmingham, England

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2000

Strengths:    All the pads have different strengths but overall there damn grippy!!

Weaknesses:    The wet, all the pads bur the grey ones just don't work i the wet. I'm talking about trials riding so locking up is important and thats what they don't do!!

Bottom Line:
The pads are great in the dry conditions but I don't trust them i the wet, if you get the pad thats specific for your rim then you can't go wrong!!!!!

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XTR V's, Hayes discs, Hope discs.

Bike Setup:   Pashley 26Mhz, Race face, Shimano XTR, Chris King, Mavic, Planet-X, Front Magura, Rear hope

Submitted by bladteth a Cross Country Rider from Lodz, Poland

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2000

Strengths:    + killer in dry conditions
+ lifespan (2 years)

Weaknesses:    - a bit pricey (black for $15, Koolstops $20 for 2 pairs)
- loose grip in seriously wet conditions (with my Vuelta Eagle rims)

Bottom Line:
My black pads are almost worn out after 2 years of rather heavy use and I will replace them with new in couple of days. Magura pads last a bit longer than these in v-brakes partly because of thicker rubber in them. They grip the rim tightly in most conditions except when used in heavy rain or wet (I mean WET) terrain, but it may be caused by Vuelta rims sidewalls and worn pads as well. Price is a bit high, yet comparable with good v-brake pads.

Bike Setup:   Giant Terrago '98 with upgrades

Submitted by Barnaby Taylor a Cross Country Rider from Fareham, Hampshire, UK

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2000

Strengths:    Excellent stopping power with fantastic breaking control during heavy breaking on variable and low traction surfaces. Very little brake fade in wet and muddy conditions.

Weaknesses:    In more extreme cross country with big climbs and steep decents such as in Mid Wales I've worn a set of pads out in 4 days but that is unusual Normal weekend riding will see them last for 6 months.

Bottom Line:
Fantastic for XC and mild to medium downhill. They burn out to fast once you start getting into serious downhill breaking.

Similar Products Used:   Standard Shimano Cable brakes.

Bike Setup:   Proflex Attack, Pace RC36 Evo Pro Eddie Ervine's, XT Group set

Submitted by danK a Cross-Country Rider from Idaho

Date Reviewed: November 18, 1999

Strengths:
price
ease of installation
modulation

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
I had the black pads come with my hs33's but a friend slapped on some red ones.
I like them better. He said he got front and rear pads for $14 from Nashbar.
They still modulate like crazy yet I felt they offered a touch more power (???).
I had the black pads for about a year or more and they are still going strong.
I liked how easily the pad change was.

3 months

everything

Magura hs33's

Submitted by Aaron a Cross-Country Rider from Santiago, Chile

Date Reviewed: September 8, 1999

Strengths:
Great stopping power.

Weaknesses:
Price and wear

Bottom Line:
These brakes are very good, but their pads are not cheap ($25 is the usual that I've seen lately thru mail order and down here they cost $40).
A piece of advice: Do not use the green pads on ceramic rims (217s) for more than a short time. I burned thru a set in, no BS, one week. My pads were so far gone at the end that I actually endoed because the lever throw was too long for me.
I'm currently using red pads and may go to grey as per previous recommendations.
Overall, pretty happy. Great stopping power and good modulation.

6 months

Submitted by Jon a Cross-Country Rider from State College PA

Date Reviewed: March 21, 1999

Strengths:
Long lasting
no grit pickup-red pads
easy to change
inexpensive

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
Excellent pads, but you need Magura's to appreciate them. The red compound is probably the best for all-around use, the greens are just a little bit better for wet conditions, but will pick up grit.

Poe Paddy

2 Years

kool stop Eagle Claw 2
shimano stock XT

cr-mo hardtail
1998 SX-R

Submitted by Niao Ren from cross-country rider

Date Reviewed: December 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

This brake shoe certainly give you good performance in all weather and it is not too expensive to bye. So it is very worth to give it a try next time.

Submitted by Mona Mergova a racer from Spain

Date Reviewed: December 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

I am not exactly any of the above types of rider but I use my boy friends bike to go to the shops on. He has the magura breaks and they through me over the handle bars. I am writing this from my bed where I have been for three days.

Submitted by Kai Visel a cross-country rider from Germany

Date Reviewed: October 12, 1998

Bottom Line:

Hi there,
I'm riding Maguras for about 6 years now and won't change to standard cantilevers again! These are the best brakes, I ever rode (included some disc brakes). OK, they are a bit on the heavy side and they occasionally pack up with mud, but you have a no hassle, no worry brake.
The brake pads are one reason of the Maguras performance, good stopping power (dry or wet), long lasting, no squealing, easy to change without readjusting. Something I forgot?
For the people using standard cantilevers: A small factory in Germany (Wendler) produces an adaptor to use magura brake pads with standard cantis!
Some people have complaints about having to readjust the brakepiston, after readjusting the adjuster screw at the lever. If the adjuster screw is screwed in to the limit, the pads aren't completely worn, that's right. Two ways to solve this 'problem': Store your half worn pads and readjust the brake piston only, when you have some sets in spare. The other way: After having a half worn set of brake pads readjust the brake piston at the front wheel (usually the longer lasting pads are on the front wheel) to accept these pads. If the pads on the other wheel are half-worn later, you can use them on the front wheel and no readjustment necassary for the rest of your life!
Greetings from Germany and have fun in the dirt!

Submitted by Sherman a weekend warrior from British Columbia, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have two sets of maguras and have the reds on one and the greys on the other at least I think they are grey they could be black. Anyways you can definately feel the difference. The reds are awesome for locking up the wheel while the greys are not that great. But in general they last long and are easy to change. I suggest getting the reds cause they are the best all around pad. The price is almost as much as a set of v pads maybe more but well worth it since they last so much longer.

Submitted by KUJO a downhiller from Sun Valley, Idaho

Date Reviewed: October 10, 1998

Bottom Line:

Hey, Big Dave!! You got your green and red pads mixed up!! Reds are for dry conditions, and green are for wet conditions. I think that all Magura pads are great!! They last forever, and if you have the right pads with boosters, they will work like disk brakes!!!!!

do I need to change my disc if the brake pads got oil on them

Hello, [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica Neue]In trying to change the brake pads on my mountain bike, I managed to get oil on my new pads and empty out all the brake fluid, and consequently also get some oil on the disc. I took the bike to the shop and they are now telling me I need to change the pad ... Read More »

New brake pads

I currently have avid trail brakes on the Chilcotin & am foreseeing the need to replace soon as 3 days in Whistler is coming up. I'm being proactive by ordering some instead of getting a lube job by buying locally. What is the current recommendation of compound & backing for gravity stuff?Read More »

How to adjust / center XT brake pads

My girlfriend just got a new ( demo ) SB95 which has the new XT disc brakes on it. The front pads are rubbing. I know how to center most brake calipers, but these don't have the adjustment slots. How do you center the pads on these things?Read More »

Odd finding with Avid brake pads

So I have been trying to solve that whole vibration/noise issue that is so common with Avid disc brakes. I have Elixir 5's with 185 mm on the front and 160 on the rear. The front has never made a peep ever, but the rear has had issues from day one. While messing around with rear pads, calipers, et ... Read More »

Magura Louise FR brake pads - Bikefridge Kevlar

I need to stock up on more pads for my multi-sets of Louise FR's and I noticed Bikefridge's regular pads were well liked (from threads several years old). He has another compound - Kevlar - that I haven't been able to find any feedback on. Has anyone used these and can speak to how they perform?Read More »