Kool-Stop Thinline Pads Brake Pad

3.4/5 (20 Reviews)

The Kool-StopThinline Brake Shoe is designed for Linear pull use and includes mounting hardware.

Submitted by mahshroom a Weekend Warrior from Greeen, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2008

Strengths:    Excellent stopping power

Weaknesses:    Learning to setup properly (This goes for most cantilever brakes), not pad's fault.
Price (13 bucks per brake).

Bottom Line:
This review is for Kool Stop Mountain pad (thinline) black version.

I've put a good amount of miles past few months riding around Washington hills. They have much, much improved stopping power over stock suntour cantibrake pads due to its large rim-pad contact area. It stops as good as my old xt v-brakes with xtr pads. It took some trial and error to set them up, but once I figured out how to setup properly it was relatively easy to work with. In general cantilever brake is pain to set up so don't blame the pads. I first align the pad by holding the pad/brakes next to the rim to desired position and tighten the nut (10mm nut) using my fingers. Then I use allen wrench to hold the bolt that holds the stud of the brake pad, then fully tighten the nut that I had initially secured with my fingers.

Take note as the pad has arrow that indicates direction of wheel rotation. Make sure both ends of the pad are same distance from the rim. Aligning them this way will ensure pads to toe-in (front end of the pad closer to the rim) and eliminates squealing. I have not had any squeals since installation.

I dont know how well they stop in steep hills in wet condition as I have only rode them in sprinkles once, w/o a problem. Perhaps it wasn't wet enough.

Price is quite steep for cantilever pads (12-13 bucks per brake, plus shipping). Three chilis for being so expensive, and 4 chilis for good performance.

Happy riding~

Favorite Trail:   Any technical trails

Similar Products Used:   Shimano & Suntour cantilever pads

Bike Setup:   '91 Rockhopper, suntour xc pro cantibrakes, and other goodies.

Submitted by Scott Campbell a Cross Country Rider from Bainbridge Island

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2005

Strengths:    Fits really well with my thinner cyclocross rims. Pretty long lasting considering they don't chew my rims up like Shimano pads. Good stopping power when dry.

Weaknesses:    Scarey as hell when wet.

Bottom Line:
These pads are descent priced compared to others. They were fairly easy to set up. I usually go through 1 set of fronts and 2 sets of rear pads a year because I commute daily in all weather. These have lasted as well as any others I've used. I race cyclocross in the fall/winter and these pads shed mud great, but when they are wet they SUCK!!!!! I've been in situations riding in the rain down a moderate grade hill in traffic and had to drag my feet a couple of times, lest I be smushed in cross traffic at a red light.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Avid rim wranglers

Submitted by Jerry Serra a Racer from Michigan

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2004

Strengths:    they look nice

Weaknesses:    everything else

Bottom Line:
Here is mail I sent to Koolstop twice with no response. UGH

....your new Mountain Pads for threaded stem brake systems. I so much enjoy your brake products....have used many of them..... didn't hesitate to purchase four pairs of your new salmon, black combo pads at considerable expense compared to your other selections for threaded stem brake systems.

I really tried to like these pads. I fussed with them, tweaked them...done everything I know as a pretty decent bike mechanic to get these things to work their magic. I am semi-retired, a part-time wrench at the LBS that sponsors me and an owner of six bikes hand build from the frame by yours truly.

They have some design flaws for sure and are way to finicky to dial in. The nuts have barley enough recess to put a wrench in to turn without stripping the nut.....what's up with that....some engineer decided a cute way to stop idiots from over tightening. You have to put a good wrench on these pads so they will stay toed in. The choices if you don't toe in are squeaky brakes that required about 2/3 of lever pull to start to engage pads ;-( ....because of those flipper thingy's you have to back them off way too far for decent modulation if you don't toe in....even then the whole pad doesn't sit on the rim....pads are long and stiff and skinny and don't lay on the rim even.

Once installed in a Fashion that their is no brake noise. You have to go thru the process again every time you throw another wheel on the frame with a different type of brake surface.....ceramic...so..on....so..forth....never had this problems with your shorter stockier pads or any of your competitors pads.

These pads have to be toed in to get the little flipper you put on the end of pad to not rub....if you don't toe in you have too much room in the levers and can't get any kind of decent modulation and they squeak like Banchis of course I said that in the paragraph before....but I'm so frustrated with these pads that it bears mentioning again & again.

Best case scenario after you spend eternity to dial in....... they are pretty spongy and at least 1/3 of brake surface never sees the rim.....

I have yet to make a decision about what I'm going to do about changing these pads on my two race bikes. Since they do work.....very poorly I might add, I thought I would see what you folks have to say. I can't be the only one who has issues with these, there is just too many things that don't work very well with these pads to justify their existence.....

Rant over,

-Jerry

PS. I feel better now after getting that off my chest after playing with you pads for hours yesterday. ; - )

Similar Products Used:   xtr avid

Submitted by Genital Apparatus a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2003

Strengths:    Provide good modulation, were not difficult at all to set up.

Weaknesses:    Do not lock up very easily, have an annoying mud plow tip which I had to sand off.

Bottom Line:
Not worth the money if you want your brakes to lock up at the touch of a finger. Next up: Plaz.

Favorite Trail:   Etobicoke Creek, Urban Trials

Purchased At:   Cyclepath

Similar Products Used:   Stock black pads, Jagwire black pads.

Bike Setup:   2002 Specialized Hardrock Pro, Raceface handlebar and stem, Shimano Deore drivetrain.

Submitted by Tim Cook a Weekend Warrior from Lyons. OR USA

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2003

Strengths:    well.. i took my precious time adjust my kool stop thinlines (v's) and wheel so they were perfect, and i think their strengh would be their ability to piss you off.

Weaknesses:    Weaknesses: where do i start... I couldnt figure out which way to install them so I went online to find the correct way. after i rode on them i could only endo if i was standing up. Then they started to squeak like hell and move around and rub on my tire. The second they hit water they were pointless.

Bottom Line:
THIS IS A MUST READ
I only had these breaks installed on my bike for one day. ONE DAY. It was so embarising having a nice bike and then your all thanks, and hit your front breaks and they squeak like hell. ANYWAY>>> i tried to give them a second chance so i called my local bike place thingy and asked for every way to make them so they wouldnt squeak. in that process i got a little more strengh, and the squeaking stoped for about a minute then it was worse than ever before. So i got pissed, and my friend looked at his OLD Pacific Bike and laughed and said it had V brakes... I took a closer look at those pads, and the seemed to be worthy of a try. so i installed those pads and the squeaking stoped, and the power went WAY up and they are soo much smoother stopping than the thinlines. You can endo SOOO much harder and for less $ than the thinlines.

Bottomline, dont waste your money on Kool Stop Thinline V brake pads when you can get better pads for half the cost. By the way, that pacific bike also had ProMAx v brakes. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS PRODUCT

Favorite Trail:   hmmm... not really one in specific

Purchased At:   RC PLUS

Similar Products Used:   ProMax V brakes

Bike Setup:   KHS ALITE 500 with some hop ups

Submitted by Jeff Small a Cross Country Rider from Dundas, ONT, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2003

Strengths:    They have a wedge at the front to peel mud. They dont leave marks on my rims.

Weaknesses:    havent ridden enough to find out. We'll see how they do when i play in the mud. I think that if i sand them with fine sandpaper, these pads should be adequate in wet conditions.

Bottom Line:
Looks good so far. I put them on the other day and i get pretty good stopping power. I think the trick is to adjust your brake arms pretty close to the rim.

Favorite Trail:   Fire Pit

Purchased At:   Full Cycle(Ottawa)

Similar Products Used:   avid

Bike Setup:   bla bla bla

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Bethlehem, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2002

Strengths:    NONE

Weaknesses:    Everything about these pads is pathetic. They perform crappy in wet, muddy, and even dry conditions.

Bottom Line:
I wouldn't recommend these pads to a rails to trails rider, much less a mountain biker. I considered replacing my whole brake system to disc brakes because of these pads.

Favorite Trail:   American Standard, Jim Thorpe

Strengths:    - Excellent stopping power
- Stop well in mud
- Don't gouge my rims like the stock Shimanos

Weaknesses:    - Damn hard to set up
- The allen bolt on all four pads had to be replaced

Bottom Line:
I've got the dual compound ones (salmon/black), and they are so much better than the stock Shimanos. The only real problem was adjusting them properly. They actually managed to remove all the gouges and metal shards on my rims left by the Shimano pads. I can't really comment on wet performance as I haven't had experience in the wet yet, but they don't make any noise and the feel is nice and progressive.

Favorite Trail:   Narrow Neck - Blue Mountains

Purchased At:   Bicycle Express

Similar Products Used:   Shimano stock pads

Bike Setup:   Deore LX brakes, XT levers, Shimano cable.

Submitted by Nick from Tempe, AZ

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2001

Strengths:    This is a review of the Salmon thinline pads.

Very good grip when dry, and a good price. I switched from Maguras to Avid SD-7's on my trials bike, and threw on these pads. I haven't noticed any loss of power.

Weaknesses:    Like most any v-brake pad they lose a lot of power when wet. I live in Arizona so I don't really care, though.

Bottom Line:
They grab and hold tight. If you want the ultimate in braking performance for trials with v-brakes, go for the Plazmatic CR-V pads. If you want something that will get the job done for a reasonable price, try these. Keep them dry. I'm giving them 5 overall because I don't have to worry about wet weather braking. If I did it would probably be a four.

Favorite Trail:   urban trials

Similar Products Used:   Red pads for Magura HS-33's (similar performance), shimano stock pads, Avid rim wrangler's

Bike Setup:   Zebdi stock trials

Submitted by nick a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2001

Strengths:    Looks, Awesome in the dry, price(compareed to shimano), good in mud.

Weaknesses:    Crap when really wet.

Bottom Line:
Very good in dry and dryish mud, but useless in rain on wet rims. Better value than shimano and last a long time.

Similar Products Used:   Std Shimano deore

Submitted by chris a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2001

Strengths:    None (for me)

Weaknesses:    poor control, worthless when wet

Bottom Line:
When I first put these on, I noticed that I needed to squeeze the brakes much harder than usual, and force at the brake lever wasn't proportional to stopping power (i.e.: sqeezing twice as hard only slowed me down a fraction more.) Then I rode through a puddle. The downhill that followed could have killed me. Feathering the brakes did nothing. Cranking them hard did nothing. Cranking them REALLY hard locked them up and catapulted me 6 feet. I immediately put my stock pads back on, with a greater appreciation for them. Also, like many of you, I have stock rims that I true on the bike w/ a spoke wrench and patience. I do a pretty good job, but not perfect. The Kool Stop pads deposit pad material on any imperfections on your rim surface, leaving 'sticky' spots on your rims. Very annoying on the road, very dangerous off.