Kool-Stop Thin Line Threaded Brake Pad

4.17/5 (47 Reviews)

Designed for tight brake clearance systems Easy tire removal M-6 threaded post with washer assembly for four multiple spacing adjustments (3, 4, 5, 6 mm)

Submitted by BIRD a Racer from NC

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2006

Strengths:    THESE ARE GREAT PADS, I USE THE SALMON ONES, DONT ERODE YOUR EXPENSIVE WHEELS, WET OR DRY. OUTSTANDING VALUE.

Weaknesses:    I GET SOME SQUEAK IN THE FRONT, BIG DEAL,SCARES HELL OUT OF OBSTRUCTIONIST DEER AND SQUIRRELS.

Bottom Line:
I CANT IMMAGINE A BETTER PAD, I SAVED YEARS FOR MY DAVE THOMAS CUSTOM WHEELS, WHY WOULD I WANT TO GRIND THE PI$$ OUT OFUM WITH SOME OF THE OTHER GARBAGE OUT THERE. I ONLY POST THIS REVIEW CAUSE I WOULDNT LIKE TO SEE MY FELLOW RIDERS TRASH THERE GEAR UNNECESSARILY.

Favorite Trail:   ?????????

Similar Products Used:   ALL KINDS OF SANDBLASTERS

Bike Setup:   TREK 110 FUEL WITH A FEW TOYS

Submitted by Alex Tourangeau a Cross Country Rider from Gatineau

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2005

Strengths:    Very strong braking power, quiet pads, many pad spacing adjustments possible

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Due to some strange wobbling from my front brake, I took the pads off the brake, and noticed that the pad and post of both front and rear brakes were wobbly. I looked around for a replacement and these were suggested. Seemed very solid and well designed. I inquired into the amount of wear these pads caused on rims, and was told that the wear was comparable to standard Shimano pads.

Took a little while to break in, but these pads provide tremendous stopping power, so much so that it took a little getting used to, and a few minor adjustments in pad / rim spacing. Now, I wouldn't trade them in, as they are very quiet, modulate very well and stop my ride in a shorter distance than the originals.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere

Purchased At:   Mountain Equipment Coop

Similar Products Used:   Shimano pads

Submitted by Poya Musa a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2005

Strengths:    Strong...smooth And KOOL!!!

Weaknesses:    You gotta be joking!!! IF you ever find one call me!!!

Bottom Line:
You got to buy it!!! Saved my life a couple of times!!! the best part is mine works better on a rainy day!!! Think about that!!! No brake pad comes close to it!!!

Favorite Trail:   east coast

Purchased At:   Mamashop

Submitted by Patrik Skolling Möller a Cross Country Rider from Stockholm,Sweden

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2004

Strengths:    Smooth,silent and has a huge breakpower at all speeds!i actually maneged to lock my front wheel today at 35 km/h on a trail. Just for test. These pads are just awesome!

Weaknesses:    There are always more power when you need it.

Bottom Line:
Most bang for the buck !

Purchased At:   www.cyclecomponents.com

Similar Products Used:   Different Shimanos and Ritchey REDs... These are the best I´ve ever had !

Bike Setup:   Scott Expert Racing 2003.Lx/deore,Pazzaz stem and barends.
Marzocchi MX COMP ETA. Shimano PD-M420.

Submitted by Steve Eckardt a Racer from Markle, IN

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2002

Strengths:    -Brand Name
-Similar to Avid threaded pads
-Inside grooves for crud removal while braking

Weaknesses:    -Thin

Bottom Line:
Overall I would say a good set of pads that have so far (for ~ 1 month) performed very well. I have always had good experiences with Kool Stop pads, so I expect the same from these. When I switched to these from the worn out Avid pads, I found these pads to be so thin I had to add extra shims to get the correct spacing between the brake "arms". The thin pads are also a blessing when it comes time to remove tires that are still aired up. Other than adding shims, I have no complaints.

Favorite Trail:   Anyplace on Dirt

Similar Products Used:   Avid threaded brake pads - Kool Stop cantilever brake pads

Bike Setup:   Giant alum ht - Manitou - SRAM 9.0 - Race Face - Sun Ringle - Avid SD3 brakes

Submitted by Todd a Cross Country Rider from Indianapolis, Indiana

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2002

Strengths:    They look pretty cool.

Weaknesses:    They did not stop the bike after quite a bit of set up time spent on them.

Bottom Line:
I am not sure what everyone did to get these pads to work correctly. I spent a lot of time messing with the set up and they just never stopped. I cleaned my rims with steel wool but no dice.

I gave them one ride thinking they would break in and finally start to work. Several times I thought that I was going to snap the brake levers off trying to stop. I rode the entire time using my front stock breaks. Oh yea, it was dry out as well. I would hate to have been going down hill with these things wet.

Favorite Trail:   Nebo Ridge

Similar Products Used:   Avid SD3 Brakes and pads

Bike Setup:   2001 GF Sugar 3

Submitted by Dane Benjaminson a Racer from Bloomington,MN

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2002

Strengths:    Well I have not had these brake pads for a long time by any standard. But I can say, I have used these things for long a nuff time in dry condtions (only) to know you will stop and... stop when you want to.

Weaknesses:    I have had a tough time getting the pads not to rub and the guys at the shop said. "These things are too long." I dont really mind the length, but it is a little annoying to know you could be going a little faster than you are going.

Bottom Line:
I love that I have found a brake pad that performs great and is not much $money$

I am not giving it 5 out of 5 because I feel I have not used the pads for a long enough time to give it the full 5 but dont worry they work really good for the time I have used them.

Favorite Trail:   single track

Purchased At:   Erik's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   shimano XTR ceramic cartridge brake pads.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F1000SL (xc race setup)

Submitted by doug bailey from riverside

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2002

Strengths:    stops the bike, has a nice feel, much improvment over shimano.

Weaknesses:    what?

Bottom Line:
I just happened to stumble across them because my shimano pads sucked so bad that i figured anything would have to be better. after applying them to my single speed and doing a couple rides i came to the conclusion that these have to be the best pads ever. they have soft grippy feel, but also feel firm when you really apply the death grip. after the luck ive had with them on single speed i put them on to my freeride bike, replacing the high end xtr cartridge pads that would heat up and fade on long decents. bottom line is get these pads.

Favorite Trail:   just as long as im riding

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   shimano, avid cartridge type pads.

Bike Setup:   fisher hookooekoo made into single speed, gt lts 2000 all decked out for freeriding.

Submitted by Al a Weekend Warrior from CA

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2001

Strengths:    -Very good power
-Plows away mud and water
-Soft compound is nice on rims
-Good in wet weather

Weaknesses:    -None so far

Bottom Line:
These are great!!!
The power is way up there. These perform so much better than the Shimano pads. Whenever I got into the wet, the Shimano's would sorta "dissolve" and wear out REALLY fast. Also, the Shimano's would lose almost all braking power in wet or muddy conditions. But not the Thinlines. They have good grip on rims in all conditions. Plus, they clean the brake surface, too. Worth the extra few bucks. Get some of these, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Similar Products Used:   Eagle 2, Stock Shimano pads

Submitted by Jim a Weekend Warrior from Pa

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2001

Strengths:    After being broken in, they have great stopping power, even when caked with mud. They are also very quiet compared to my old pads.

Weaknesses:    None thus far, will have to see how they hold up over time

Bottom Line:
These work much better than my old brake pads. They have awsome stopping power, only second to disc brakes. I may have paid a couple dollars more at the bike shop, but hey...i figure support the local places before they all close.

Favorite Trail:   Local ATV trails

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   ProMax

Bike Setup:   Trek 820, shimano V-brakes w/ kool-stop pads, INSYNC exceed 288 front shock(nothing spectacular),shimano M858 pedals,Panaracer fire xc-pro tires... WHY DOES ALL THIS REALLY MATTER???

Submitted by Rob Fraser a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2001

Strengths:    These brakepads definitely are better than shimano, they don't collect grit, they will not scratch your rims and have a smoother softer feel.

Weaknesses:    They don't have the stopping power that a harder brake pad would. Brake wear happens really fast and the little plough dissolves in one week.

Bottom Line:
I have been using last years thin blue line brakes. This years have a dual composition. Since 60% of one's stopping power is in the front brakes, I rely on a hard brake in the front. (I do alot of city riding) However, when offroading weather conditions apply using the front brake is a useless proposition. These brakes clean the rim in one wheel rotation.

Purchased At:   Sporting Life

Bike Setup:   2000 Giant Boulder, campanello road crank, lx everything except deore levers.

Submitted by weather expert a Weekend Warrior from iowa

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2001

Strengths:    very good stopping power
never scratches rims
mud-ploughing!!! actually cleans up your rims
price (for which i got them)
very clear instructions on package
silent (w/ proper setup)

Weaknesses:    what's this box for?

Bottom Line:
excellent pads. the angled tip works great--they actually helps you cleaning up mud-covered rims. they don't scratch rims whatsoever. awesome stopping power, wet or dry.

bottom line--all bikers should remember to get a pair when they order shimano brakes.

Similar Products Used:   lx...POS

Bike Setup:   xcaliber, lx brakes

Submitted by Woodsman a Cross Country Rider from Oregon

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2000

Strengths:    Silent
No wear so far...
Secure (if not easy) setup
Do not score rim breaking surfaces
Stop you in short distance
Fair price ($10.00/ pr.), although could be a little cheaper
Come with all hardware and installation diagrams on package
Made in USA
Look good
Not Shimano
Soft and grippy

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
"Ricksom" (a few reviews down) from the esteemed city of Toronto has read my mind on this issue. What seems like noise from these pads (on the front brake, at least) is a result of slop in the cheap bronze bearing in the '98 LX calipers, NOT the Koolstop pads. These things are just excellent. Before I had read Ricksom's review I had already decided to lose the LX calipers and go with the new SRAM top-of-the-line calipers when they become available. Should be winners. And SRAMs come stock with Koolstops, like he said. Go, Ricksom!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Fireroads