Kool-Stop MTB Brake Pad

4.8/5 (10 Reviews)

Another rim friendly pad by Kool-Stop formulated for top braking performance in all riding conditions. Kool Stop MTB Brake Pads are a longer and more rigid pad that fits to the contour of the rim for better braking. Angled tip and plow.

• Dual compound
  • Formulated for top braking performance
  • Patented process blends two top compounds
  • Angled tip and plow
  • Knurl-Lock (TM) washer system

Submitted by Uzzi_PA a Cross Country Rider from Central PA

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2012

Strengths:    Great stopping power even on cheap rims. They last a long time. Unparralelled performance in wet or dry conditions, dare I say better than disc brakes? No queeling*. No black grime coating the tires and rims.

Weaknesses:    *The angled rear mud clearing portion is worthless and only handy as a conversation peice. I sanded mine off and still get perfect braking in the wet, plus no more squeeling.

They are a little more $ that stock pads, but worth it since you wont feel like upgrading to disc brakes every time it rains.

Bottom Line:
Best brake pads for vbrakes, just be sure to (carefuly) remove the wedge from the pads. They are pricy, but how much is perfect braking worth? I justs got back from a ride that was very muddy and soft with wet leaves and rocks everywhere and didnt have a single incedent where I was out of control even on the steepest, nasty decent, no unwanted wheel lockups or endos either. Quite an improvment over shimano pads which either lock up and throw you over the handlbars or overheat and start grinding grooves in youre rims.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Ridge Park

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Similar Products Used:   Koolstop; salmon and eagle talons. shimano lx and xtr pads. Magura hydroics with wet weather pads.

Bike Setup:   Ive only used these on the front wheel, where braking is imperitive. Ive used them on steel touring rims and managed not to kill myself riding through the city in the rain; they still had weak braking power, but that was due to the rim, and not the pads. Im currently using mavic 221 rims and avid brakes and levers. Id like to upgrade soon to a ceramic rims and these pads front and rear for even more reliable wet braking; I suspect this combo might even some be conperable high end disc brake performance, maybe a little touchy though.

Submitted by momomo68 a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX, US

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2011

Strengths:    Awesome brake pads! They do the job, and do it well.

Weaknesses:    None found yet.

Bottom Line:
These are totally worth the money! $10 replacement pads sure beats a buying a disc setup; especially when they seem to work just as well as the discs on my STP1, well, almost as well.

Favorite Trail:   Barton Springs Greenbelt

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Stock Trek 6000 pads, Gatorbrakes vpad replacements

Bike Setup:   Trek 6000, WTB velociraptor 2.1s, rockshox tora 302

Submitted by dubthang a Cross Country Rider from Portland, Maine

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2009

Strengths:    look cool, great braking power, angled tip to clean rim

Bottom Line:
These are the best pads I have ever owned for canti brakes. They have great power in the dry and the wet. They are easy to set up, just use a card stock's width for the toe, and there will be no squeal. I had the stock Avid pads on my new Shorty cantis, and they were awful. Kool Stop pads are one of the best upgrades one can make for their bike. It is the first upgrade I always make for mine and my friends bikes.

Favorite Trail:   any

Similar Products Used:   Avid pads, Shimano pads, other Kool Stop pads

Bike Setup:   old school xc - '93 Bianchi running the new style Avid Shorty cantis.

Submitted by yashimoto16 a Cross Country Rider from NY, USA

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2009

Strengths:    Plow slanted design cleans the braking surface. Look good.

Weaknesses:    wet/mud just like any other pad i guess

Bottom Line:
These things can really take the heat especially in dry conditions. I have full faith in these babies.

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   stock pads

Bike Setup:   Specialized Hard Rock COMP FS

Submitted by schmitty8225 a Weekend Warrior from Oviedo, Fl, USA

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2008

Strengths:    Breaking Power. Mudd Shedding

Bottom Line:
First time I used these brakes, I went out on the trail and I rode through some extremely thick mud. I couldn't make it through the mud but when I turned around to go back I was still able to stop easily. The brakes just pushed the mudd of with its slanted design. The brakes are clearly marked which side to go and the direction to face so installing them is easy.

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Stock Pads

Bike Setup:   Mojave 2.0 with Bontrager Mustang ASYM Wheelset

Submitted by taputah1 a Cross Country Rider from Lehi, UT

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2008

Strengths:    Great stopping power, easy setup (all pad replacing)

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
I bought some new SD7's and heard monstrous stories about the pads, so I bought the Kool Pads. Even though I can't say how the stock pads differ (I never used them), these pads are awesome. I love my brake experience. I am not a fan of disc's and with these I don't feel too worried. One thing I noticed right off was that after about 100 yards of riding and braking to test my install, my rims were shiny and silver again. The plow edge of my brakes had all kinds of crap on it. These pads are great.

Favorite Trail:   Wasatch Crest

Purchased At:   Niagra

Similar Products Used:   stock stuff on XT's, tektros, and LX's.

Submitted by sjpendleton a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2008

Strengths:    Good stopping power if you can endure the noise

Weaknesses:    Noisy unless toed in to the point that brakes are completely mushy

Bottom Line:
I wanted to like these. They had burly stopping power when I set them up and my brakes were great. Unfortunately, they started squealing almost immediately. I kept toeing them in but the squealing kept going. I tried a brake booster but it didn't help. I even switched brakes during this time. The only way I could get rid of the horrible noise was to toe them in so far that my brakes were complete mush. I switched to some Avids and the squeal went away immediately.

Other reviewers didn't seem to have the squeal problem, so it may be my fork or some other random element I wasn't able to change. I suspect the reverse arch on my Manitou fork might have something to do with it, but I'm not going to change my fork to use these pads, especially when others work fine.

Favorite Trail:   Anything with lots of climbing

Similar Products Used:   Avid, Jagwire

Submitted by Dave S a Weekend Warrior from Franklin, NH, USA

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2008

Strengths:    Unbelievable stopping power, awesome modulation, simple setup, silent, easy on rims

Weaknesses:    None that I can tell

Bottom Line:
These pads are slightly more expensive than average @ $10/pair. But, they are EASILY worth it. Despite my Clydesdale status, this is far and away the most stopping power I've ever had on this bike. The modulation, which was already quite good with this setup, enters into the realm of "incredible". One-finger stops are easy and beautifully controllable on all terrain, no matter what sort of schmutz you have on your wheel. There is no grinding of foreign matter into the wheel's alloy surface. Their claim that water, muck, and sand get sluiced away are absolutely true. Setup, due to the pad's design, is dead simple and accomplished in 5 minutes with only an Allen wrench. Stopping is always dead silent. Do you want the very best v-brake pads? Look no further. I can't recommend these enough!

Favorite Trail:   Winnipesaukee River Trail

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Aztec, Shimano, Fibrax, stock Koski pads

Bike Setup:   Old Mongoose full suspension w/Koski v-brakes, Jagwire teflon cables, Avid FR-5 levers, Bontrager Maverick rims

Submitted by Daniel A a Weekend Warrior from Orlando, Florida, USA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2007

Strengths:    Unbelievable Stopping Power

Weaknesses:    Almost made me go over the handle bars on my virgin ride...

Bottom Line:
These pads are just unbelievable. When I bought my bike I went with V-brakes to save total bike weight (and money) but was worried about the stopping power, especially in offroad and wet conditions. These pads are just as good as most diskbrake setups. After I installed them I tested them and almost ended up over the handle bars. The most important part though is how little force it takes to actually stop the bike. They are also about 1/2 larger than my old pads.

No more yanking on the levers like a madman, just a gentle pull and voila you stand still.... (with you hopefully on the bike).

I can't rave enough about these... Even if these were $30 bucks a pair, i'd still get them over - no questions asked.

Favorite Trail:   Santos

Purchased At:   Bikeworks - Orlando

Similar Products Used:   Pro Max

Submitted by Josh Rogoff a Cross Country Rider from Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2007

Strengths:    Incredible stopping power, great modulation, quiet. Tears through mud, water doesn't slow it down.

Weaknesses:    A little squeeky at first, so you're not sure if you installed with with proper toe, but give then 20 minutes out on the trails and they are broken in.

Bottom Line:
Awesome stopping power wet or dry, best v-brake pad I've ever used, puts most disc brakes to shame, but not all. The wet stuff is where discs really come in handy, but a v-brake set-up with these pads is just as good, not to mention the weight saved. Max flaming turds for me!

Favorite Trail:   Washing Machine

Similar Products Used:   Avid RW2...there really stink!

Bike Setup:   2001 GT aggressor hardtail. 2007 LX crank, RD, XT FD, Mavic crossrides, panaracer fire XC, Rock Shox Judy, Crank Bros candy SL, Sram 970 casette and chain.

MTB Trails around anywhere around Orlando, FL? Group rides?

Hi everyone, just in to mountian biking. I know there are some trails by the environmental center In winter springs. Also wondering about some groups cause I don't want to go alone the first tim or really anytime lol. Thanks everyone!Read More »

What are the MTB purchasing mistakes you have made?

I don't think it is possible not to make any purchasing mistakes when it comes to MTB related products. Over the years, I have made lots of mistakes. The major ones would be getting wrong size/standard parts (I am doing this over and over agin). One time, I was very much into shaving weights, ... Read More »

What are the MTB purchasing mistakes you have made?

Whistler Good Hotel that is MTB Friendly?

I'm looking for a place to stay for a couple of nights next week and was wondering if anyone had a favorite hotel/motel that accommodated MTB's? Would like to keep it around 100 a night? Planning on doing Comfortably Numb and maybe Kill me Thrill me.Read More »

Was your first MTB a love or a mistake?

There are so many kinds of mountain bikes out there in today's market. Even experienced riders are having hardtime choosing a right bike. What about the beginners? Are they picking up right bikes from the get go? Was your first MTB a love or a mistake? Tell me your funny mistake stories;) ... Read More »