Kool-Stop Eagle 2 Brake Pad

4.48/5 (50 Reviews)

The Kool-Stop Eagle Claw II Brake Shoe work with most cantilever brakes. Item Specifications Post MountTypeThreaded Pad Use Standard Brake Fit Cantilever

Submitted by random_thought a Weekend Warrior from Philippines

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2011

Strengths:    Bites like a pit. Wet performance of salmon pads very much the same as dry. Very long wearing. Good break feel and modulation.

Weaknesses:    A bit thick, but it can also me a good thing. Vbrake setup does not look as "true MTB" as disc setups. But that might just be me.

Bottom Line:
Ordered them online (they are not available in this side of the pond) after being convinced by all the reviews about these pads. Got the salmon version since i love riding in the rain. I'm so pleased that I decided to go this route instead of going discs when I was updating the parts for my MTB. Gave my old and trusty STX RC vee's a new lease on life. And it seems like it'll be quite a while until it retires since the pads don't seem to wear out. I frequent this very steep paved downhill road (dunno the gradient, but imagine going freewheel from 0 to 30 mph in 35 feet) where some disc equipped riders not even dare bomb down on, and my brakes never let me down. Also saved me a grip of cash by staying V'd. In muddy trails, it still provides decent stopping power, but nothing won't work well when its your tires that are slipping. If you decide to keep your vbrakes/cantis, get these if you want the best non-disc stopping power. For the price, i think you get your money's value.

Favorite Trail:   Where wheels can roll

Purchased At:   Bicyclesupply

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, MOB

Bike Setup:   Fully rigid, teeth chattering, all aluminum 26er. Cush comes from 2.1 sb8's and Ritchey WCS neoprene grips.

Submitted by Garthr a Cross Country Rider from USA

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2010

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Squeals like a Pg

Bottom Line:
Salmon Eagle 2's.

I thought these would be a no brainer great replacement pad. Not so. I've been using and setting up canti's since 1983 and I've never had a pad squeal as loudly as these do. I'm miffed. I've tried every conceivable setup option with these, and they just squeal no matter what. I go back to using some vintage Shimano pads, and the squeal is gone.

I'm going to try Velo Orange's Squeal Free pads.

Purchased At:   Tree Fort

Similar Products Used:   Sun Tour, Aztec, Shimano pads

Bike Setup:   Custom w/ Sun Tour XC Pro brakes
Stumpjumper Sport w/ Shimano Br-Mc70 brakes

Submitted by nuck_chorris a Weekend Warrior from spring, tx .usa

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2009

Strengths:    sheds mud , works well in the rain.

Weaknesses:    not as good as disc brakes? nothing beats em.
other than that they are top dog

Bottom Line:
i would recommend these rim brake pads to anyone who prefers rim brakes to disc brakes. they are very reliable and also make good stoppies

Favorite Trail:   george mitchell nature preserve

Purchased At:   jenson usa

Similar Products Used:   shimano canti brakes

Bike Setup:   trek 850 with alot of mods

Submitted by Hikmer a Weekend Warrior from Santa Barbara, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2008

Strengths:    Cheap and well reviewed. Local store had them in stock and recommended them for replacement to OEM

Weaknesses:    Installation, which isn't the fault of Kool Stop but Cantilevers are a pain to install.

Bottom Line:
Old Raleigh M-400 bike which has lasted me for years. Thought it was time to add new brake pads. The old ones were leaving black marks and gouging the rims...and they didn't stop very well. Bought these as a replacement and some steel wool to clean the rims. I completely overhaulded the brakes and pulled them off and got all the dirt out. I adjusted them to be really tight since they seemed very loose. They squeeked really bad at first, but I figured out I had the front ones on backwards. After that they seem great, really big improvement. Can stop on a dime now.

Favorite Trail:   Romero Canyon

Purchased At:   Hazards

Similar Products Used:   Shimano M 65/T

Bike Setup:   Raleigh M-400

Submitted by François from Quebec, Quebec, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2006

Strengths:    * They really work.
* Outstanding in the wet.
* They don't seem to be wearing unduely fast.
* No rim-is-getting-eaten noise.
* Easier to ajust properly thanks to the plow tip thing.
* Long alloy posts, should fit just about any bike.
* Salmon version are the best pads I've tried so far.

Weaknesses:    * Unduely(?) more expensive then average, but worth it.
* Kool-Stop sells inferior non-salmon versions of theese pads.

Bottom Line:
My first experience with black Eagle2 pads was on my Miyata 600GT touring bike. The thing has brakes that worked ok for cantilevers, but with the Eagle2's the bike got really good brakes. I can lock both wheels on dry pavement, and they're above average when it's wet.

Then I read somewhere about salmon version of theese pads beeing better still, so when one of my buddies asked me to do a brake job on his bike I did it w/salmon Eagle2's. Well I'd worked on his bike before, and his brakes always sucked no matter what, bad rims? But with salmon Eagle2's they became more then sufficiant to throw you over the handlebar, but insufficiant to lock the front wheel. I know that can sound weak, but it was a very substantial improvement for this bike.

I've since gotten myself a full set of Kool-Stop Mountain salmon pads for my downhill bike, loving them! Dry braking power is comparable to hydro disks, but modulation is not as good and they obviously need ajustments more often. Even in the wet I can lock both wheels on pavement without first drying the rim, but I really have to want it.

Keep in mind that I use my bikes as vehicles, so the pads may or may not work well in mud or whatever.

If you're a commuter, get salmon Eagle2 pads for cantilevers and salmon Mountain pads if you have V-brakes. Take the time to ajust them properly and I bet you'll be sold on theese as much as I am.

Bike Setup:   The downhill bike has Deore LX front and generic v-brake rear.
Other two bikes in my story are cantilever (Eagle2 material)

Submitted by Phillip a Weekend Warrior from Berkeley, CA

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2006

Strengths:    Kool Stop Eagle 2 threaded post brakes. Stops great - first time I've had to worry about going over the handlebars in years. Cheap. Very adjustable.

Weaknesses:    Rather thick - barely enough room to install on my 25-year old Univega (but enough). Had to let the cable out even though I just took off brand new Shimano pads. Unnecessarily long installation bolts - I'm tempted to hack saw them off.

Bottom Line:
Stop great, no squeal. Very happy.

Purchased At:   blueskycycling.com

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX, Matthauser. The Matthausers were great when new, but got old and lost effectiveness. The Shimanos were no better than the ancient Matthausers, even new - very poor stopping ability.

Bike Setup:   old Univega Gran Turismo touring bike.

Submitted by ScHwEiNhUnD a Weekend Warrior from Spokane, WA

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2004

Strengths:    Good all around pads, low price, quick break in, great wet performance, slow wear!

Weaknesses:    not too many

Bottom Line:
buy these pads, keep em clean, stop fast!

Favorite Trail:   the Bluff

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, like steel wool on your rims, wore out so easily, bad pads

Bike Setup:   Giant ht, sun, pana. fire XC

Submitted by Alan Koslowski a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2004

Strengths:    Excellent stopping ability it all conditions: dry, wet, hot, cold, it doesn't matter. Outstanding longevity. When used properly and replaced timely, will cause no damage to rims.

Weaknesses:    None that I can find.

Bottom Line:
I originally bought shimano break pad, which were terrible. Poor stopping ability and ate my original wheels. My LBS steered me toward the Eagles, and they proven outstanding. I ride regularly in all conditions, and these have proven excellent. The first set I bought lasted nearly a year. The work well in all conditions. I haven't found a better value in break pads anywhere.

Purchased At:   Play it again sports

Similar Products Used:   Shimano break pad - absolutely awful. Tore the crap out of the first set of rims I had.

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek XO cyclocross, stock except for tires and wheels. 105 wheels, Specialized nimbus armadillo 700x38 tires.

Submitted by Tim Cook a Weekend Warrior from Lyons. OR USA

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2003

Strengths:    well.. i took my precious time adjust my kool stop thinlines (v's) and wheel so they were perfect, and i think their strengh would be their ability to piss you off.

Weaknesses:    where do i start... I couldnt figure out which way to install them so I went online to find the correct way. after i rode on them i could only endo if i was standing up. Then they started to squeak like hell and move around and rub on my tire. The second they hit water they were pointless.

Bottom Line:
THIS IS A MUST READ
I only had these breaks installed on my bike for one day. ONE DAY. It was so embarising having a nice bike and then your all thanks, and hit your front breaks and they squeak like hell. ANYWAY>>> i tried to give them a second chance so i called my local bike place thingy and asked for every way to make them so they wouldnt squeak. in that process i got a little more strengh, and the squeaking stoped for about a minute then it was worse than ever before. So i got pissed, and my friend looked at his OLD Pacific Bike and laughed and said it had V brakes... I took a closer look at those pads, and the seemed to be worthy of a try. so i installed those pads and the squeaking stoped, and the power went WAY up and they are soo much smoother stopping than the thinlines. You can endo SOOO much harder and for less $ than the thinlines.

Bottomline, dont waste your money on Kool Stop Thinline V brake pads when you can get better pads for half the cost. By the way, that pacific bike also had ProMAx v brakes. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS PRODUCT

Favorite Trail:   hmmm... not really one in specific

Purchased At:   RC PLUS