Jagwire Red Zone Disc Brake Pad

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Jagwire Red Zone Disc Brake Pads for Formula B4 feature patented HeatShieldTechnologyThat reduces heat-induced brake fade. Springs Included: yes Compound: Semi-Metallic

Submitted by blackhammer a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2012

Strengths:    Quiet, great initial bite with modulation (see my summary), cheaper than stock elixir pads.

Weaknesses:    None initially. I'll update if any surface over time.

Bottom Line:
After running elixir cr's for a year with the stock pads, I decided to try new pads to see if I could get rid of the horrific braking noise of the stock pads. I was also hoping for some improved braking and assumed that I had a lot of wear on my original pads. I was buying a bunch of replacement parts from Tree Fort bikes and threw these in the cart based on price and past good luck with jagwire products.

When these arrived, I pulled out my old pads and almost didn't install the jagwire pads because I discovered that I had a lot less wear on my old pads than I thought. Decided to go ahead and install these anyway since I had the bike in the stand.

Yesterday was my third trail ride on the new pads and I couldn't be happier. After years of reading about brake modulation, I finally realized what that means. The OEM pads on my elixer's were very grabby. I have them set up for one finger braking and they had a very on or off feel to them. I just assumed that's how disc brakes should work. The jagwire pads feel like they bite less initally. They feel soft in a good way.

I feel like I can scrub speed before a corner much easier than before. I'm a big guy with limited skills so every time the trail turns downhill I tend to get on the brakes. On my second ride on these I found myself taking corners faster because I could slow down just enough to trust my cornering. Before I would say I was getting more brake than I wanted about 8 of 10 times. With these pads I'd say 1 out of 10. Can improved brakes make you faster? It certainly feels that way for me. Also, just as important, these pads are almost silent compared to the old pads.

I don't know how good they are long-term. I did one road ride to bed them in and only have three trail rides on them. If they last a season with this kind of performance I'll consider that good value.

Favorite Trail:   Limekiln at Brown County SP

Purchased At:   Tree Fort Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Avid OEM stock pads for the elixir cr's.

Bike Setup:   Niner EMD set up as a 2X9 w/ 8 inch front and 7 inch rear rotors (clydesdale rider) on 2010 elixir cr's and sram x9.

Submitted by Oliver a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2012

Strengths:    Love these brake pads! Run them on all of my bikes. Quiet, less fad, and improved braking over Hayes pads. (both sintered and semi-metallic)

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I just do not see these as a replacement pad, I see them more as an upgrade of Hayes pads. I run these pads in my Stroker trails and Stroker gram brakes.

Favorite Trail:   most