Jagwire Red Zone Disc Brake Pad

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

Jagwire Red Zone Disc Brake Pads for Formula B4 feature patented HeatShieldTechnologyThat reduces heat-induced brake fade. Springs Included: yes Compound: Semi-Metallic

Submitted by marco tarafa a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2014

Strengths:    Great stopping power, no noise and great wear.

Weaknesses:    none what so ever

Bottom Line:
I have had many break pads and these are my favorite. I discovered these one day on a used set of Avids brakes and wondered how the hell these Avids stop so well. Pulled them out and they the red jagwire pads and I haven't looked back. I run Shimano XTR on both of my bikes and replaced the original shimano pads with these. I also tried the aluminium set or the gold ones and dont like them as mush as these. You cant go wrong with them and they take a beating. the more you use them the better they work. Just cover the pads when lubricating the bike parts so you don't contaminate them. Love them and the price. I rode with other friends with Avid setups and the noise was pretty bad. they actually listened to me and got these pads after taking many trips to the LBS to solve the noise issues without success. finally we discovered a great product. I have been in the very wet days were you go through puddles and yes they will make a sudden sound but will quite in minutes.

Favorite Trail:   Marham Park & Amelia Park Miami

Purchased At:   Big Wheel Hollywood

Similar Products Used:   Avid and Shimano pads

Bike Setup:   2014 Jet 9 RDO

Submitted by blackhammer a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2012

Strengths:    Quiet, great initial bite with modulation (see my summary), cheaper than stock elixir pads.

Weaknesses:    None initially. I'll update if any surface over time.

Bottom Line:
After running elixir cr's for a year with the stock pads, I decided to try new pads to see if I could get rid of the horrific braking noise of the stock pads. I was also hoping for some improved braking and assumed that I had a lot of wear on my original pads. I was buying a bunch of replacement parts from Tree Fort bikes and threw these in the cart based on price and past good luck with jagwire products.

When these arrived, I pulled out my old pads and almost didn't install the jagwire pads because I discovered that I had a lot less wear on my old pads than I thought. Decided to go ahead and install these anyway since I had the bike in the stand.

Yesterday was my third trail ride on the new pads and I couldn't be happier. After years of reading about brake modulation, I finally realized what that means. The OEM pads on my elixer's were very grabby. I have them set up for one finger braking and they had a very on or off feel to them. I just assumed that's how disc brakes should work. The jagwire pads feel like they bite less initally. They feel soft in a good way.

I feel like I can scrub speed before a corner much easier than before. I'm a big guy with limited skills so every time the trail turns downhill I tend to get on the brakes. On my second ride on these I found myself taking corners faster because I could slow down just enough to trust my cornering. Before I would say I was getting more brake than I wanted about 8 of 10 times. With these pads I'd say 1 out of 10. Can improved brakes make you faster? It certainly feels that way for me. Also, just as important, these pads are almost silent compared to the old pads.

I don't know how good they are long-term. I did one road ride to bed them in and only have three trail rides on them. If they last a season with this kind of performance I'll consider that good value.

Favorite Trail:   Limekiln at Brown County SP

Purchased At:   Tree Fort Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Avid OEM stock pads for the elixir cr's.

Bike Setup:   Niner EMD set up as a 2X9 w/ 8 inch front and 7 inch rear rotors (clydesdale rider) on 2010 elixir cr's and sram x9.

Submitted by Oliver a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2012

Strengths:    Love these brake pads! Run them on all of my bikes. Quiet, less fad, and improved braking over Hayes pads. (both sintered and semi-metallic)

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I just do not see these as a replacement pad, I see them more as an upgrade of Hayes pads. I run these pads in my Stroker trails and Stroker gram brakes.

Favorite Trail:   most