Hayes Replacement Pads Brake Pad

3.53/5 (17 Reviews)

Submitted by Ecogeek a Cross Country Rider from Calgary

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2009

Strengths:    They stop the bike.

Weaknesses:    They don't stop the bike as well as any alternative pad I've tried.

Bottom Line:
Serfas. Alligator. Organic. Ceramic. Sintered or not. Anything at all, cheap, not cheap, will stop the bike better than these. Usually for less money.
I have cleaned them, sanded them, the same with the disks. I've tried a brand new set. I've switched front to back and so on, but nothing gets them as good as they should be. Whatever you try, try another brand of pad. One of these also decided to crumble to dust for some reason. No, not from all the sanding/cleaning!
I'll give them a 'fair' rating as they do stop the bike, but considering the price, for value and overall performance they're the worst I've tried. They also seem to like to squeal more than most too. I have run these on two bikes in four calipers from new. I persisted for some time. But as soon as I started trying other brands, things got much better and seem to stay that way whatever other brand I try.

Purchased At:   Came w brakes/bike.

Bike Setup:   RM Slayer or Kona XC

Submitted by Joseph Miller a Weekend Warrior from Downers Grove, Il

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2007

Strengths:    These brakes can stop extremely quick. Sure would not hit the front brake first if going fast.

Weaknesses:    None. Excellent stopping.

Bottom Line:
These brakes came installed on my bike. Never really gave much concern about bike brakes untill today. Was riding my favorite trail today which is the Salt Creek Trail. At one point you go under some railroad tracks where you have to duck down to pass under. A kid and his dad was creeping along at a very slow speed. Other bikes were comming towards me. I was probably a bit fast but these brakes kept me from plowing into this little child. If I had standard brakes I sure would have hit this little guy. I highly recommend these to all. THANKS HAYES FOR AN EXCELLENT PRODUCT

Favorite Trail:   Brookfield Zoo Trail

Purchased At:   Harbor country bike

Similar Products Used:   Lever brakes

Bike Setup:   Stock Schwinn Mesa (2005) GSD.

Submitted by Colin Hall a Cross Country Rider from Surrey UK

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2007

Strengths:    Will stop your bike dead! Last for a long time under demanding conditions. They need properly braking in but once on and worn they haven’t given me any problems. Been using Hayes for over 6 years

Weaknesses:    Price, $40 per set for Sintered pads is a bit pricey

Bottom Line:
Good pads but on the pricey side.

Favorite Trail:   Surrey Heath

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 90, Full XT, easton carbon monkey bars, Pananracer XC.

Submitted by Lee Crowell a Cross Country Rider from Bartonsville PA

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2007

Strengths:    good stopping power

Bottom Line:
go Hayes! I'll never use anything else until someone begs me to try it out

Favorite Trail:   south trail, camelback

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   avid v-brakes, Shimano lx v-brakes, shimano xt v-brakes

Bike Setup:   steel hardtail, marzochhi zfly fork, xtr drivetrain, raceface cranks and chainrings

Submitted by timish horbay a Downhiller from edmonton, ab, canada

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2007

Strengths:    long lasting- i dont care who tells you these dont last long, a full season at whistler and mine are still going
good power- they are way better than stock
modulation-enough to have control but not mushy feeling

Weaknesses:    noisy as hell
really easy to glaze while bedding in

Bottom Line:
these are good. they stop you all season long, what else could you want. i am a big guy (220lbs) and they have no trouble stopping me... anybody who has problems didnt bed the pads right and glazed them, and they deserve bad brakes!

Favorite Trail:   dirt merchant

Purchased At:   united

Similar Products Used:   hope pads
cheaper hayes pads
aztec pads

Bike Setup:   hayes hfx9 hd's

Submitted by Andrew Payne from kamloops b.c canada

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2007

Strengths:    good stopping power just after being worn in

Weaknesses:    i go through pads ALOT. one day at whistler and i needed new pads 3 times, they blow chunks

Bottom Line:
go with juicy's or magura louis or gustus(the best i have ever ridden)

Favorite Trail:   whistler

Purchased At:   bike cafe, spok n motion and full boar

Similar Products Used:   none older model hopes

Bike Setup:   04 big hit expert 06 888vf2

Submitted by Khoa a Weekend Warrior from Irvine, Ca USA

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2007

Strengths:    Sintered OEM- Long Life Can stop you very fast
Semi-Metallic OEM Hayes- Good modulation, power, and low noise. All you can ask of brakes.

Weaknesses:    Sintered- OMG these things have been getting worse of late. Demand anything of them and they give this horrible pulsation and noise all the way up to wheel lockup- I'd say go with Semi-Metallics

Bottom Line:
Don't Buy sintered metallic, its a peice of crap

Bike Setup:   FSR enduro

Submitted by fuel53 a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2007

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    No stopping power.

Bottom Line:
Bought the Gold pads, the guys at beyond bikes said they were a good all around pad. Had to replace my old ones when a drop of oil got on the rotor and destroyed them, whats up with that? tried breaking them in with many miles of downhill, had to switch back the squealing ones to keep from going off the cliff.

Purchased At:   Beyond bikes store

Similar Products Used:   stock hayes pads for hayes 9's

Bike Setup:   stock Fuel ex7 2005

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2007

Strengths:    Durability, weight, red colour & only 2/3 the price when compared to LBS prices.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the *Kool Stop/High Performance Compound/KS-D200* version of replacement disk pads. The stock Hayes pads lasted me from July 2002 to March 2005. I got these at M.E.C. back in early 2005 to test on my 2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk for my front wheel for the 2005 & 2006 cycling seasons. My stock Hayes (front) pad was only 10% worn and the rears were 70% worn. So I put the front pads on the rears and put new Kool Stop pads on the front. They acted the same way, stopping me very quickly with few squeaks. For my next cycling season starting March 2007 as soon as all the snow & ice have melted, I'll be installing a second set of pads that I got in my order with M.E.C. back in early 2005. I mainly ride on city streets, sidewalks & waterfront bike paths. The price for 1 set of replacements pads at my LBS were $25 and I ended up getting 2 sets thru M.E.C. for $30. There is also a M.E.C. version for $5 but are of the - regular organic compound for average riding conditions.
Bottom Line: Excellent pads that work, act and sound like stock Hayes at nearly 1/2 the price when found at LBS.

Purchased At:   M.E.C. (2005)

Similar Products Used:   Stock Hayes Disk Pads.

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk

Submitted by Saber Haghvirdy a Downhiller from Iran / Tehran

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2007

Strengths:    acceptable friction - not bad over all

Weaknesses:    wears very fast and when wet super fast . When muddy take a pair of extra pads with yourself on the trail.

Bottom Line:
They perform very good but wear out prety fast.

Favorite Trail:   Shafaq 3

Purchased At:   on bike

Similar Products Used:   Avid - Jagwire

Bike Setup:   Kona Stinky

Submitted by TrailMaker a Weekend Warrior from Vestal, NY

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2006

Strengths:    Easy to find. Good price. They work.

Bottom Line:
The Hayes pads work. They stop well, last a long time, and are quiet - in dry, wet, mud - if you break them in right. They are a good product that does the job with no fuss. I have Delta Aztec pads on the front right now, and they HOWL like a wounded Moose when they are wet. Very annoying.

I'm going back to Hayes!

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Delta Aztec

Bike Setup:   05 Santa Cruz Heckler. 04 Weyless 67. Previous 02 Fisher Sugar 2+ Disc.

Submitted by Roundy a Weekend Warrior from Utah

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2005

Strengths:    I'm struggling to think of some

Weaknesses:    The stuff that these are made of gives no grip at all!

Bottom Line:
These pads suck.
Hope pads are different nearly every year. They seem to change the supplier like an actress changes her clothes and the present compound is a joke!

Similar Products Used:   Fibrax. EBC

Submitted by Ryan J a Cross Country Rider from Niagara Falls

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2005

Strengths:    They fit nicely into the Hayes calipers.
Durability is good.
Braking power is fine.

Weaknesses:    Squealing sounds.
Pricy?

Bottom Line:
These pads lasted me about 2 years. I don't ride year round due to snow though, but my bike does see a lot of mud, and these pads have held up well. They do sqeal, and though I wish they did not, I guess I am used to it. They stop me quickly, even with the weak mechanical discs. (I don't reccomend the HMX-1) I hate the bill when I have to replace the pads, but that's not too often, so I deal with it.

Purchased At:   Liberty! Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   2002 Rainier with Hayes MX-1's.

Submitted by Chris a Downhiller from Burlington,Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2005

Strengths:    It makes your bike stop, easy to put it, maybe needle nose pliers to fit in clips

Weaknesses:    there are none, this is disc brakes we are talkign about, if you wine about putting these in your obviously mechanical retarded and shouldn't own a bicycle... (mechanical device)

Bottom Line:
these are brakes pads you need them, easy to install system, and $25 once a year so your bike will stop - priceless