EBC Brakes Gold Brake Pad

3.31/5 (16 Reviews)

EBC's new Gold-coded sintered bronze alloy brake pads are available for many high-performance calipers. They have the benefit of huge lifetime, an extremely high friction and good fade resistance. The Gold grade are best used on "open systems" due to their higher heat generation. If your caliper does not have an insulating system to prevent the heat being transferred into the caliper it would be inappropriate to use these pads in downhill use.

Submitted by Sam a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2013

Strengths:    Outstanding stopping power once they've been bedded in

Weaknesses:    Loud with a wet rotor

Bottom Line:
I use these pads on my Cannondale Jekyll 1 with Avid Elixer CR brakes on both front/rear. It took about 8 hard stops from about 15 mph to have them bedded in enough to not make loud screeching noises. After they were bedded in, they have great stopping power. Even wet, the stopping power has been excellent (I'm no lightweight either...me + bike+equipment weigh in around 265 lbs). Huge gain from the stock Elixer pads. The only thing I have found is they are louder than the stock pads when the rotors are wet. Otherwise, great pads. It's very important to make sure you have bedded in the pads though before turning to regular use...I have these pads on my Iron Horse and I didn't properly bed them in and they are LOUD wet or dry.

Favorite Trail:   Knee Cap @ Jockey Hill - Kingston, NY

Duration Product Used:   about 6 rides

Purchased At:   Perfect Brakes

Bike Setup:   2011 Cannondale Jekyll 1 (2013 frame), DYAD rear shock, Fox Talas 150/120 mm fork, XT components, FSA carbon cranks, Black Flag Wheels, Schwalbe Hans Dampf rear tirel, Scwalbe Big Betty on the front.

Submitted by Brian-cdn a Weekend Warrior from Calgary, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2007

Strengths:    perfect fit, consistent performance, seem to last well.

Weaknesses:    may not be as grippy as original pads
Squeak, squeak, squeak...

Bottom Line:
I can't be sure but they may not have as much power as the original B4 pads, but, these were cheaper and in stock.

Wear seems fine, still working in their second season.

The squeak happens when I'm riding along not using the brakes, which is a bit annoying but not a huge issue.

Similar Products Used:   Formula, Hayes, EBC reds, Koolstop, MEC.

Bike Setup:   Formula B4 brakes

Submitted by Jap a Cross Country Rider from Nehtehrlands

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2006

Strengths:    Durable, cheap, no noise

Weaknesses:    The brakes don't bite as hard as BBB pads. But that's also personal taste.

Bottom Line:
Great buy. They last much longer and have the stopping power required. Work well in mud. If you want a real bite in your braking, buy the BBB pads.

Purchased At:   Kersten, Nijmegen

Similar Products Used:   BBB, original Magura Julie pads

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS3, Mavix x223 Disc, Magura Julie, Manitou Axel super fork (soon to be replaced by a marzocchi).

Submitted by Rick a Weekend Warrior from Columbus

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2005

Strengths:    I have no idea

Weaknesses:    Don't hold in place like OEM pads

Bottom Line:
I would love to try these pads but, they don't "clip" in like the OE pads.
They fall out.

Purchased At:   Gift

Similar Products Used:   Hayes OE pads

Bike Setup:   Giant AC-1

Submitted by Patrick a Cross Country Rider from Morgan Hill

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2005

Strengths:    No bloody squealing.

Weaknesses:    Cheaper would be nice but that's always true.

Bottom Line:
My stock Avid pads drove me up the wall. I am a bit of a freak about a tuned and quiet bike and I could not get those things to shut up. I switched to EBC on the recommendation of my LBS and once they got bedded in it was truly a beautiful thing. No loss in stopping power just happier fillings.

Favorite Trail:   Braille Trail

Similar Products Used:   Avid stock pads

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575 with Avid mechs and Fox Talas.

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Leicester,England

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2004

Strengths:    No need to bed in due to the new coating that EBC have applied (this also stops the brakes from making any noise when used). Excellent grip and feedback.

Weaknesses:    Took a while to fit (lack of instructions)

Bottom Line:
The only reason I tried these pads is due to the fact that I fitted EBC pads to my Yamaha R1 sports bike along with there discs. I was so impressed that I had to get them for my mountain bike.
Even though they have only been fitted for just under four weeks I have noticed the difference between these and the stock Hayes ones. The grip is 10 times better and you can tell what is going on when you do applie the brakes, there is no play and they bite straight away (Hayes pads were so c**p from day one, I thought I had air in the system so I bled them on several occasions but still had lots of play in them). They work well in all conditions and I have had no problems with all the mud and water that I have come across at this time of year (which is lots!!!!!!!!!!!).
The bottom line is if you want top notch pads buy these,they will not let you down.

Favorite Trail:   Sherwood Pines,Nottingham

Purchased At:   brakes4u.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   Standard Hayes that came with the bike

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro comp which is standard except for a Romic rear shock upgrade

Submitted by mark a Cross Country Rider from central va.

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2004

Strengths:    price,power,break in period

Weaknesses:    retainer spring does not fit without a little bending

Bottom Line:
the C4s that came with my Avid mechs did nicely except they only lasted under 500 miles. they took a few rides to develop their maximum grip. the EBCs were gripping better than the C4s by the time I had gotten to the end of my street (less than a 1/10 of a mile)and only about 5quick hard presses of the lever. I took them for a ride the next day in extreme conditions of mud and I kept making the guy I was riding with say huh cuz I kept remarking to myself a little too loud how well they were slowing or stopping.IMO they make a great disc brake even better. these are a better pad than the C4s and worth the money

Favorite Trail:   pocahontas

Purchased At:   airbomb

Similar Products Used:   C4s

Bike Setup:   XTS-3 with mods

Submitted by Ziggy Stardust a Cross Country Rider from outer space

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2003

Strengths:    Cheap, strong, great durability, good stopping power

Weaknesses:    The exact pad brake application is not clearly labelled or identified on the packaging. Vague/ambiguous application data and cryptic numerical codes resulted in the bike store sending me the wrong pads.

Bottom Line:
I ride in a lot of mud and gritty slop. When I had V brakes I'd grind up pads and wheel rims like a flour mill grinds up wheat.

Disc brakes have helped with that problem alot, but I found on my Avid mechs that the stock pads literally melted away in just a few rides. They were $25 to replace and then melted away again...obviously unacceptable.

So since EBC made the Gold pads, which are specifically designed for nasty, muddy conditions I thought I'd give them a shot. Other than EBC's vague and crappy product ID system, which resulted in me getting pads for an earlier version of the Avid mech disc brake, they have been great.

After reading the reviews here, I don't know why the other guys had such problems. Not to undermine other people's opinions but honestly, alot of people do not know how to set up disc brakes properly. And if not set up properly, disc brakes performance will be terrible. This may have been why some of these other reviewers had problems.

As to my experience, I've ridden the heck out of these pads in really crummmy muddy conditions. I have worn them out, but they lasted the equivalent of 5 or 6 sets of stock Avid pads. They haven't squealed (maybe a little squeak here or there occasionally after getting wet), and provide plenty of stopping power (not noticeably less than stock Avids). Plus they were only $15.

Overall a positive experience for me, and I recommend them. However, I am taking away a fecal flambe because of the poorly specified application data on their packaging.

Purchased At:   aebike.com

Similar Products Used:   Stock Avid pads for mech disc (which melted away in just a few short rides...and then cost $25 to replace!)

Bike Setup:   Bianchi DISS with Avid mech discs

Submitted by nigel deutrom a Weekend Warrior from watford

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2003

Strengths:    Not any

Weaknesses:    Pads wore through after about 4 rides, squeel like mad compared to the original Hope Mini ones.

Pads crumble at edges and glaze after each two hour ride, requires cleaning an do not stop on the front at all, requires a hefty pull on the lever

Bottom Line:
Woudl not recommend these at all

Favorite Trail:   watford woods

Purchased At:   internet

Submitted by Nate a Weekend Warrior from Indianoplace

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2003

Strengths:    Might last dang near forever...

Weaknesses:    ...because they don't grip worth a crap.

Bottom Line:
I put EBC Golds on the front, EBC Reds on the back after wearing out the stock Avid pads that did quite well. The Reds grip like a mother, but that's a different review. With the Golds on the front, a clean rotor, and twice the break-in time that the back pads took, I couldn't get the front tire to lock on a slick, wet driveway. The dogs in the neighborhood went insane from the noise. People ran out to the curb with their trash thinking the garbage truck was coming early. But my bike sure didn't stop. Stuck the old Avid ones back on the front and about went over the handlebars when I touched the brake lever. That's more like it! Sorry, but I need brake pads that lock if I squeeze that hard. If they're good for a certain type of biking, I don't know what type that is.

Favorite Trail:   Off to the side on the rocks and logs

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   Avid Stock pads, EBC Red

Bike Setup:   '01 Cannondale F600 Disc with bigger everything added to it

Submitted by Ian (in London) a Weekend Warrior from London

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2002

Strengths:    This is an update after I spoke to EBC. I mentioned that I thought that their longevity was massively overrated, and it appears that they have had back many, many set of EBC Golds this winter so far that have lasted only one ride.

Weaknesses:    See below

Bottom Line:
EBC are intorducing a new compound pad, due to popular demand and recent feedback that their pads aren't lasting that long at all.

The guys said that previously they were running completely different compounds to the first generation EBC Gold pads, and that these were supposed to work really well. However, the UK guy I spoke to said that they were starting to see loads of returns, burned out in one ride. Now they are introducing a new compound, based on their motocross enduro pads, which are due to arrive in the UK shortly. So, customer service is OK as they promised to send me a couple of replacement pairs when the new ones arrive, but just be aware that these are being replaced.

Let's hope the new ones are better. Full marks on customer service.

Similar Products Used:   tonnes

Submitted by J from Dall-ass, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2002

Strengths:    DURABILITY

Weaknesses:    none that I noticed

Bottom Line:
I do long rides. In a recent 24-hr race that got uber-sloppy with lots of clay, grit, mud and general nastiness these pads held up over 3 times as long as Avid B3 pads. I haven't noticed any less bite with these pads even though they're pretty damn hard.

If there's a more durable pad for Avids out there, I'd love to know what it is...

Similar Products Used:   Avid B3, Avid Organic, Delta

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth id, foxforx, Romic, spinergy xyclones

Submitted by Ian a Weekend Warrior from London

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2002

Strengths:    Were available

Weaknesses:    Don't last. Riding in the winter in the UK, these pads lasted one outing - no joke.....long life? I don't think so.
I have tried many pads, and the only ones that I have found that work well in the mud are the Shimano pads. I heard rave reviews about the EBCs super long life, so tried them. No difference between green and gold in any degree of mud. Both lasted one ride. At almost $20 each pair (!!!!) in the UK, this is an expensive bit of kit!

Bottom Line:
I am really struggling in the UK to find any pads that will last since the weather has turned sour. These are absolutely no better than the regular pads (and are more expensive). No doubt in the dry, they would last absolutely forever and generate a tonne of heat, but no pads wear out in the summer, even downhill specific pads, as the rotor barely wears out pads.....the grime does. So, have to give these a very dissappointed two thumbs down and frankly, I don't know what other people are going on about their long life....

Similar Products Used:   Shimano sintered, EBC Green, Fibrax

Bike Setup:   FSR XC, BETD linkage, Fox Vanilla, nice odds and ends..

Submitted by Vincenzo D'Amato a Cross Country Rider from Salerno Italy

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2002

Strengths:    Good braking power,good modulation also.

Weaknesses:    Wear is a little inconsistent when compared to the original HAYES-the friction material looks sometime like ripped apart at the edges of the pad,which never happened to the HAYES .Very expensive here in Italy.

Bottom Line:
The EBC gold are good pads which perform very close to the
excellent HAYES ones,maybe i can tell they offer a bit more feeling and slightly less bite,but the issue is it looks like they wear faster and they are more pricey,so i think i'll stick with the HAYES in the future.Other than that,if you manage to find them at a good price, they will be excellent replacement pads, more likely if your brakes don't come fitted with high quality pads like the HAYES.

Similar Products Used:   HAYES stock:very good(power,modulation,consistent wear,very long lasting).

Bike Setup:   FSR XC comp 2000,HAYES hydraulics,MARZOCCHI MXR coil,MRP link,DEORE octalink crankset and other stuff.

Submitted by rob a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2002

Strengths:    A few hours to wear in.
Heap of metal on pad=long life.
Exactly the same (if not better) than Hayes (bite, power, modulation)
A heap cheaper than Hayes

Weaknesses:    When used with HAyes, there are none. there may be probs with other brake systems, such as closed types.

Bottom Line:
It is rarely the case that something cheaper is better, but EBC golds are. I'd be using them for as long as I ride.