Avid UPC Disc Brake Pads Brake Pad

Pads to fit Avid, Hayes and Shimano brakes

Submitted by Dalke a Cross Country Rider from Dublin,CA

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2010

Strengths:    Great stopping power, long lasting, very little dust.

Bottom Line:
These pads work great. They have great stopping power, produce little brake dust, are easy to install, and last and last. I have tried others that wear fast and don't stop well. These are keepers.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   EBC and others

Bike Setup:   Performance Access XCL frame, mostly Shimano, Avid 8" mechanicals.

Submitted by steve a Downhiller from spearfish SD

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2004

Strengths:    these are the touchyest brakes i have ever used!!! by buddie has hayes downhill and they are pretty powerful but they lacked in modulation. if you get the chance buy the hayes downhill purple. but back to the avid review these outperform every hayes and shimano by along ways(except the downhill ones)

Weaknesses:    i don't know what everybody else in talking about with the wet weather problems??? mine are a little less grabbie when when but if you pull them they will stop you no proplem. so no NOOOOO weaknesses

Bottom Line:
they absolutly rule buy them. plus they are cheap

Similar Products Used:   hayes, shimano, hope(hope rules but very $$$$),

Bike Setup:   idenity judge, race face, avids, XT, azonic outlaw wheels, piece of crap manitou fork

Submitted by Martin a Cross Country Rider from SAN MARCOS, CA

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2004

Strengths:    long wearing, great power

Weaknesses:    only if something goes wrong in break-in period

Bottom Line:
I have the opposite experience with the avid and EBC pads than the previous reviewer.
First, I was not happy with the perfomance of avid's C-4 original pads. So I bought $21.00 EBC Gold sintered pads and while they were really powerfull, they lasted 5 rides in dry California conditions. So I went back to my 1-month old original avid pads. But I noticed a glass-like surface on them, so I put them on a grinder for couple of seconds. It has been 6 months now, 500 miles later and I am still riding the originals front and back, they are just as powerfull as the EBC's were and i just can not see a sign of wear. Go figure.
You can see my Avid mech. brake follow up review for some hopefully usefull hints.

Similar Products Used:   EBC Gold

Bike Setup:   NRS 3

Submitted by Ziggy Stardust a Cross Country Rider from outer space

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2004

Strengths:    Ummm...they look nice and new when they are nice and new????

Weaknesses:    They are awful...plain and simple. Oh, they're also expensive. Really, the best of both worlds.

Bottom Line:

After buying my bike with the Avid mechs, which came with the stock Avid pads, I was shocked to see these pads melt away in less than four ~1 hour rides (in mud). After each ride I saw this black gooey stuff running down the rotors, and unbelievably I was almost down to metal in only a week of riding...INCREDIBLE.

Then I went to the LBS and he was kind enough to sell me another set for $25...I just bought a set of pads for my car recently and they were only $20..GIMME A "BRAKE"!! Then I reinstalled them on my bike and, again, they melted away in 4 rides...UNBELIEVABLE SHIITEEE!!!!

So I switched to EBC Gold (hard compound pads), and they lasted all season in the mud (still going strong). I got them for $15/set at aebike.com. I recommend EBC golds, they've been great pads for me. Avid has some kind of cheddar cheese brake lining material scam going on.

Similar Products Used:   EBC Golds -- they ROCK

Bike Setup:   Bianchi DISS

Submitted by jimbolya a Cross Country Rider from boise, idaho

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2003

Strengths:    avid's new c4 pads are long wearing and do the job, 'cuz they're 'sintered' (pad compound is heated to malleable state and formed without melting-like metamorphic rock!) not to mention, they're cake to replace in the field, but that strength is more for the brakes themselves.

Weaknesses:    price. new c4 pads are $20-25.

Bottom Line:
when i got my avid mech's, one brake was set up with b3 pads and the other was set up with c3 pads. the b3's didn't last. the c3's were doing fine, but when i complained to avid, they sent me new c4's (for a few sheckles.) these c4's are long wearing and stop on a cow pie. i use automotive disc brake cleaner on both my pads and discs to get the glaze off, and that helps reduce the noise, except when they get wet. but who cares...they work better than most rim brakes, even when they're wet and screaming. any avid mechanical disc brake fan should get these pads.

Favorite Trail:   devil's slide/trail 4 in boise foothills

Purchased At:   b3's and c3's @ beyond bikes, c4's @ rei & avid

Similar Products Used:   avid b3's and c3's.

Bike Setup:   custom xcountry/race with most excellent avid mechanical disc brakes: 185mm on front, 160mm on rear.

Submitted by Martin a Cross Country Rider from Eden Prairie

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2003

Strengths:    Good stopping power

Weaknesses:    Hideous pad life

Bottom Line:
Comparing the pad life to the best (Hayes), these things are a joke. I put new Hayes pads in front at the beginning of the 02 season, broke my bike last fall and built my new bike up with the Avid mechanicals in back in November. I have a point here somewhere....my Avid pads wore out mid-season this year and I still have the original Hayes pads up front. Since the front does most of the braking, one would think this scenario would be reversed but the Avid pads are so pathetic they wouldn't last a whole season while the Hayes are still going strong near the end of their second. If you are buying brakes and want to save some money, get the more expensive Hayes Hydraulic. You will be ahead in the long run just because of replacement pad costs.

Favorite Trail:   The Farm

Purchased At:   Erik's Bike

Bike Setup:   S-Works Enduro, Hayes Hydraulic Front, Avid Mechanical Rear

Submitted by D. McNeill a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2003

Strengths:    The stock Avid B3 pads are powerful but...

Weaknesses:    ...they wear out faster than cellophane shoes.

Bottom Line:
When the Avid B3 pads wear out, replace them with the newer Avid C4 ones. They seem to be holding up much better although they aren't as powerful. Can't have everything I guess.

Purchased At:   Treadlies

Similar Products Used:   EBC Green

Bike Setup:   '03 Haro Escape 8.2

Submitted by Niel a Cross Country Rider from Calgary Alberta Canada

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2003

Strengths:    Performance is what you'd expect from Disc brakes

Weaknesses:    I ride about once per week, far less in the winter. This is the 3rd set of pads I'm on now. AVID pads wear out WAY to quick. I'm going to give Koolstop replacement pads a try. They will probably wear out just as fast, but at least they are cheaper.

Bottom Line:
AVID pads wear out WAY to quick. AVID's customer service is great, they seem to replace the pads if you call and complain, but there is no excuse for how fast this pad material wears out.

Purchased At:   Bow Cycle

Submitted by shanedawg a Cross Country Rider from san jose,ca

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2003

Strengths:    Good feel at the brake lever. Good customer service from Avid

Weaknesses:    bad batch of pads recently. Price is too high for disc pads. $25 is way too much. I can get disc brake pads for my car cheaper and the pads for my Kawasaki Ninja motorcycle cost about the same as the avids but they last much longer ( 17,000 miles and running)

Bottom Line:
I have two different bikes with Avid disc brakes and can say that the first set that I bought in summer 2001 gave me no trouble and the pads lasted about a year. The second set of brakes I bought in summer 2002 for my wife's bike and they were part of the batch that everyone is complaining about. When we went on a nasty wet/gritty ride in Dec 2002 my brakes worked great and needed maybe one click of the red dials however hers needed many turns to keep the lever from hitting the bar. When we got home I checked out the brakes and noticed that her pads were worn down almost to the metal. I called avid and they sent out two replacement sets of the c4 pads and they are much better. I am dissapointed that avid did not test the pad compound well enough but I am please that they remedied the problem so quickly.

Purchased At:   jenson

Similar Products Used:   hayes, shimano XT disc

Submitted by Alex Whitney a Weekend Warrior from Washington DC

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2003

Strengths:    These pads are very easy to install/remove, and provide excellent stopping power.

Weaknesses:    The small metal spring causes problems when putting wheels onto the bike- if you bend the spring, all hell breaks loose. Expensive- $25 a pop for one wheel. Not particularly long-lasting, just 6 months or so.

Bottom Line:
Avid mechanicals are a dream- easy to adjust, replace, etc. But their pads are the only option- the Aztec aftermarket ones that are supposed to be compatible are NOT. For better or for worse, this is it. I think $25 for a pair of pads is absurd, but then the pricing of all replacement parts for the entire bike industry is absurd. Half the cost would be acceptable.

Purchased At:   LBS, Jensen

Similar Products Used:   Magura Julie

Bike Setup:   2001 Dale Bad Boy Ultra

Submitted by Misha a Weekend Warrior from Malaysia

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2003

Strengths:    Fantastic, Extremely good braking power wet or dry.

Bottom Line:
This is an Update on my previous review, I email Avid and they send me 4 sets of the latest pad. This time I have no problem on heavy rain or really muddy trail. The braking power was really awesome. I had hayes pad on the rear and tried avid on the front and I find the avid has better braking power compare to the hayes. They're great company and they respond to my complain really quickly. Thumbs up!

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC

Submitted by arse from Loops

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2003

Strengths:    none really.

Weaknesses:    Awful pads that came with the brakes. I talked to avid about it and they are giving me some new C4 pads. From the stock pads, constant squeaking, regular glazing over, super fast pad wear, no power at all.

Bottom Line:
I have to give Avid a good rating for giving me new pads right off the bat when I complained about my stock pads. It is nice to see that a company knows the needs of bikers.

Submitted by Brewha a Weekend Warrior from South Jersey

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2003

Strengths:    Great stopping power, One finger control

Bottom Line:
I had no luck with the pads that came with the brakes.I went to Utah for some Epic riding and was impressed with the power of the brakes.Then it rained.Mud was everywhere. I was on Blowhard, bombing down and I had to keep adjusting the red dial.Then halfway down,I lost them.If it wasn`t so muddy ,I think it would have been bad. Next ,I called Avid and told them, and I had 2 new sets within a week.The new pads have been great.Sometimes they chirp when wet. They are made with metallic compound so you will get some noise.But I had them on for over 4 months and not even one adjustment.One finger braking is great.More control over scary stuff.The mechs are perfect for the riding I do.Price was great also.And setup was less than 10 minutes.Make sure you dial the magnet back in before you put new pads in.Then go ride.

Similar Products Used:   First disc setup

Bike Setup:   Truth, Fox F/R ,XO,Crossrocs UST

Submitted by Cramer a Cross Country Rider from Grand Rapids, MI

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2003

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    everything

Bottom Line:
My brakes constantly needed adjustment, had poor stopping power compared to my v-brakes, and squealed all the time. Then, after only a couple hundred miles, I found the pads had worn out completely. WTF?! Hopefully I just got a bad set and can get them replaced by Avid.

Purchased At:   came stock on bianchi siss

Submitted by Doug a Racer from Pelham, NH

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2003

Strengths:    UPDATE TO 12/29/02 POSTING
Great dry conditions performance

Weaknesses:    One or two rides durability in wet conditions

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my 12/29/02 post below. When I could not find 3rd party replacements for Avid's 2002 model year B3 pads (EBCs are not 2002 compatible), I decided to contact Avid directly. I received an email reply from Avid's tech service the next day. Avid acknowledged that a "very small number" of B3 pads were defective. Avid has just released the C4 pad with reformulated compound, which will come standard on 2003 disk brakes. They sent me two pairs of C4 pads to try out. The material looks slightly different, and maybe a little thicker. One of the pull-tabs has a new bend in it also, and "C4" is stamped in the back side metal. I will put time on these pads as soon as one of the snowiest winters we've had in some time lets up. I have to give Avid 5 chilis overall for such prompt, personalized response, and 3 chilis until I prove these pads last a lot longer in wet conditions.