Avid Rim Wrangler Inserts Brake Pad

3.5/5 (22 Reviews)

Avid Rim Wrangler 2 Brake Pad Inserts: Replacement pads offered in standard or ceramic rim compounds. Shimano compatible replacement inserts...

Submitted by Michael a Racer from Warrenville, IL USA

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2008

Strengths:    Easy to install, but even easier to throw away.

Weaknesses:    I used these pads for one race and they completely wore through the ceramic coating on my race lite rims. I bought these because I wasn't able to get any comparable products within race time. Big mistake.

Bottom Line:
Long live your wheels, do not buy these pads.

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher SuperCal 29er, Bontragger Race Lite Wheels, XTR group, Kenda Small Blocks

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Hampshirre, UK

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2007

Strengths:    ummm, none that I can think of - but I guess they do actually stop the bike, and they don't squeal.

Weaknesses:    not cheap, very high wear rate if ridden in wet and muddy conditions, appalling in the wet

Bottom Line:
rim wranglers? Rim wreckers more like :-(

they work OK in the dry - no better than a set of cheap pads. And they don't squeal on mavic rims which is a plus.

In the wet they are rubbish - braking is truly appalling - all rim brakes are bad in the wet but these seem particularly bad. Not only that but the pads will wear down before your very eyes, taking the rims with them. After every wet ride I had to sand the pads down because of the metal they had collected - they also put 0.3mm of wear onto my mavic 317 rims in just 6 months.

I swapped to koolstops - they work and are even half decent in the wet - and they don't wear the rims. no metal fragments no matter how much mud you've cycled through. period. Oh and there is a whole quid difference in the price.

1 chilli for price, but 2 chilli's coz they do work in the dry...

Similar Products Used:   koolstops

Bike Setup:   avid single digit 7's with koolstop dual compound inserts

Submitted by SF a Cross Country Rider from Stockton,Calif

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2006

Strengths:    Stop very well. Green pad [ceramic]

Weaknesses:    Wears out kinda fast.

Bottom Line:
It did squeak little,it stop after I adjusted the brakes. Need to take your time in adjusting the brakes perfect. I ride in dry weather only.

Favorite Trail:   Hogan

Purchased At:   Frankford

Bike Setup:   2005 Specialized Epic,Fox Shox F100X,XTR,Syntace stem,Answer Taper Lite Carbon Bar,Selle Italia SLR, Chris King Headset& Hubs,Mavic XC717 ceramic,Salsa carbon brake booster,Avid Single Digit Ultimate Brake w/ceramic pads,Avid Speed Dial Ultimate Levers, Avid flak jacket cable,Ti parts

Submitted by Stani a Cross Country Rider from Ann Arbor, MI

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2004

Weaknesses:    squeals

Bottom Line:
These "ceramic" pads sqeal badly with my ceramic wheels. I tried changed toe-in, cleaned the rims and pads with acetone, sanded the pads, but nothing helped. A set of XTR "ceramic" pads in my Avid SD Ultimate brakes stopped the sqeal.

Similar Products Used:   LX, XT, XTR

Bike Setup:   Xizang frame, Avid SD Ultimate brakes, Mavic 517 wheels with ceramic coating

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Stockholm

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2004

Strengths:    Works fine with good stopping power in DRY.

Weaknesses:    Sounds horrible and will eat up your rims very fast in WET. Stopping power still OK but I like my rims and wish to keep them still a couple of years.

Bottom Line:
Came stock with the bike. Now replaced with Kool Stop. Ritchey Red and Kool Stop are OK for me.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Kool Stop, Ritchey

Bike Setup:   GF 29" MT TAM, all stock.

Submitted by Igor a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2002

Strengths:    Work well in dry conditions.

Weaknesses:    Will eat you rims in muddy weather.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy these pads if you ride in wet conditions.
Else your rims will be worn out before too long.
Get yourself Kool Stops instead.

Favorite Trail:   McKenzie River, OR

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Kool stops

Bike Setup:   Klein Attitude

Submitted by Alan a Cross Country Rider from AU, AL

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2002

Strengths:    Strong brake pad, really grab the rim

Weaknesses:    average life of a pad

Bottom Line:
I am 150 pounds, ride xc, and its almost always dry around here. I try and get in about 5 or 6 hours a week (im in school)...These pads are great for anywhere that's not really really muddy. They have been great for all kinds of xc, and road stuff. Only problem i've had is one time i went riding when i probably shouldn't have-the trail was nothing but soup and when i was cleaning my bike up afterwards, the machined grooves on the rim were significantly smaller. Since then i haven't really had the problem-but overall a good break pad that can throw you over the bar.

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mtn

Purchased At:   Mail Order

Similar Products Used:   stock shimano crap

Bike Setup:   Rockhopper Avid Ti brakes and levers, XT, sid Sl, and some other goodies

Submitted by Jean-Sylvain a Cross Country Rider from Quebec

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2001

Strengths:    brake well

Weaknesses:    wear quickly (especially in wet condition)
eat rims

Bottom Line:
I had these when I bought my singledigit 7 brakes. My first thought was that they brake really well. But after one month, now I see some major problems. 1st, I have to replace them after aproximately 250km (about 160 miles)
2nd: they eat my rims. When I replaced the pads on my front brakes, I noticed lumps of alluminium in the pad. On the rear, I could see that my new rim (mavic Xride that has only 140km) was maybe 2mm thinner on the braking surface.
If you want great performance at any cost, then you can buy these. But I personnally prefer a little less performance and more rim and pads (mostly rim) longevity.

Similar Products Used:   Kool stop

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior from Berkeley, CA

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2001

Strengths:    lots of power, much better than LX pads

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
These pads rule over the LX sh*t that Shimano supplies with their otherwise good LX V's. I've only used them for one day off road but I already love them. These are good brakes. I got my rims super hot braking down a long and steep downhill, and the pads performed flawlessly. I'll just have to see how well they hold up.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX, Kool Stop

Bike Setup:   Upgraded Giant Iguana

Submitted by Derek a Weekend Warrior from Springfield,SC,US

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2001

Strengths:    Great Stoping Power

Weaknesses:    Wear way to fast

Bottom Line:
These pads came stock on the bike. I love the way they stopped the first time I used them. My first 4 rides were in the cold and wet. This ate up my back 2 pads and they left gray stuff all over my bike. I rode a total of 40 miles Singletrack and I had to replace them. The 2 on the front are still going strong. They have a lot of rides left in them. Bottom Line= If you want a great pad and stay dry these are the ones. I went with Kool Stop Eagle II. They are great. I will do a review on them.