Tekro V-Levers Brake Lever

3.07/5 (42 Reviews)

Tekro V-Levers

Submitted by Doug a Cross Country Rider from Wooster,Ohio

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2006

Strengths:    They are a cheap alternative to those of us that crash alot I have gone through two sets and I don;t worry when i crash and break em they are cheap to replace

Weaknesses:    the bend relatively easy and tend to bind every once in awhile

Bottom Line:
They are a good idea for the beginning mountain biker that will be wrecking alot or for those people that are on a budget and need a pair they can take and beat the crap out of with out takin a big hit on them

Favorite Trail:   dra1986@aim.com

Purchased At:   Orrville Cycling and Fitness

Similar Products Used:   Shimano lx levers

Bike Setup:   GT Zaskar-- all XT with tektro handles

Submitted by keith m a Cross Country Rider from quincy il

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2005

Strengths:    they're better than not having brake levers at all, metal levers, they work

Weaknesses:    metal levers, not very powerful, feel like a walmart generic, easy to bend

Bottom Line:
I was in a mild crash and these bent at a large degree angle. These are best suited to a cruiser or 60-year-old-women's bike. Even when I had my brakes set up right, they would be very lacking in power(with BB5s on). I bought a pair of Avid Speed Dial Ti's on ebay for 40 bucks and have never regretted it.

Purchased At:   stock on trek

Similar Products Used:   Avid Speed Dial Ti, Avid Speed Dial 5

Bike Setup:   Avid SD Ti, Avid BB5, trek 6500, SRAM X0 front derailleur, everything else stock

Submitted by Colin Clayden a Downhiller from Fredericton New Brunswick Canada

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2005

Strengths:    Good adjustability strong...

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
It gets the job done I don't see why you need to go and blow 100$+ on a pair of brake levers on less your current ones really dont work! They work for me never had 1 problem.

5 FLAMMIN' CHILLI'S!!!

Favorite Trail:   o'dell xpert trail

Purchased At:   came stock on my Haro

Similar Products Used:   hayes

Bike Setup:   Haro escape 8.1 maxxis highroller 2.5's and soon to be sherman flick plus fork

Submitted by matt a Weekend Warrior from yardley, pa

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2005

Strengths:    They stop the bike, they look good enough and the Kraton insert feels comfortable and gves a good grip.

Weaknesses:    Cheap price, which apparently makes them inferior to more expensive products that don't work as well.

Bottom Line:
These are the Tektro Tenera levers that came stock on the Newport, which was K2's top of the line hybrid until 2005. They do a fine job of stopping when I pull the levers, they look fine, the finish is good, they haven't bent or hurt my fingers and I can't think of anything negative about them. If you're worried about weight, these might weigh as much as an ounce more than $100 levers (but I bet they don't weigh as much as a rear suspension). I'm considering upgrading to Cane Creek Direct Curves, mostly because I want to put my v-brakes on my wife's bike and because I like the DCs no noodle concept. If you can stand not having something way high tech to show off, these're just fine.

Favorite Trail:   Delaware and D&R Canal towpaths with the kids

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Other cheaper Tektros on my old bike

Bike Setup:   K2 Newport hybrid stock except for Tamer Post Centrick post.

Submitted by AMERICAN LESION a Cross Country Rider from Venango County

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2004

Strengths:    Cheap. Tough. Works with both canti's and Vee's.

Weaknesses:    None, really. Does what its supposed to do, and on the cheap.

Bottom Line:
There are NUMEROUS Tektro levers out there, as has been pointed out previously. These particular ones are sold as "Nashbar Jail Brake Levers", and retail for about 15 bones. They worked well in my situation, as I am limited to having a U brake in the back....and wanted Vee up front. The selector switch and variable cable-routing configuration worked just spiffy for me. Folks in this situation, or looking for a cheapie lever that will hold up, looks good, and does its job, look no further.

Favorite Trail:   East Sandy Creek

Purchased At:   El Nashbaro Mail Ordero Catalogo

Similar Products Used:   SRAM 9.0SL, Shimano Deore, Avid SD2.0, Shimano Exage Trail M350, Powertools V-levers, etc, etc, etc.

Bike Setup:   (This one, anyways) A resurrection of a 1987 or 88 Fuji Cadenza. Exage M350 crank and front mech with Syncros, Sugino, and Specialized chainrings, KMC chian, SRAM Plasma rear mech, Falcon 7spd freewheel, Acera hubs, Weinmann rims, Kenda rubbers, Judy TT fork, Kalloy bar and stem, Profile "Tomac" bar-ends. SRAM MRX shifters, Tektro V-brake (front) Diatech U-brake (rear), Wellgo clipless pedals. Kalloy post with SDG saddle.

Submitted by JimmyCrack a Weekend Warrior from West-e-ville

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2002

Strengths:    Light with excellent feel - great fit - adjustability

Weaknesses:    Doesn't WOW the posers

Bottom Line:
Keep in mind that Tektro makes dozens of different levers (and brakes) including ones made for other brands, but there's only one place to put the reviews.

I've got a set of new AL-360A levers that I put on to relpace stock LX levers. I absolutely hated the LX handles from the start, though the LX V-brakes are OK. I got these levers with 829A V-brakes as a new take off and went ahead and put the whole set on. Boy did I get a steal. These Tektos are remarkable. They blow the Shimanos away. I'm sure from the reviews that some of the real cheap crap from Tektro is no better than the cheap crap from other companies (Shimano included), but these are real nice! The modulation is superb and the levers have a perfect shape for 1 and 2 finger braking. I'm pretty sure some of the reviewers that panned Tektro only did so because there are no bragging rights that come with them. But, you know, they're wrong 'cause there's a lot to be said for recognizing a good product at a great price even if you're buddies are only impressed if you have to pay big bucks to get it.

Favorite Trail:   Hard'n'Fast

Purchased At:   LBS take off

Similar Products Used:   Just about everything

Bike Setup:   LX hardtail w/ Duke Race up front

Submitted by Mike Nation a Cross Country Rider from Crestview, FL, US

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2002

Strengths:    Fairly durable so far, but its only been 6 months. Thats about it.

Weaknesses:    Heavy. For a V-brake, they should stop better than they do...I've seen Walmart bikes with better braking power than these. Scars up your fingers.

Bottom Line:
These aren't the best brakes to own. After 6 months of riding them on my Jamis, I'm going to have to upgrade. I have scars on my pointer fingers where they scrape the underside of the brake lever. I don't know how this happens, but when I get down on it hard, I look at my aching fingers and they're bleeding. Run from these brakes!!!

Favorite Trail:   Timberlake (Eglin AFB)

Purchased At:   Came with Bike

Similar Products Used:   Avid (although there's no comparison)

Bike Setup:   Jamis Cross Country SX, Maxxis Mofo tires, Shimano LX components.

Submitted by Hendrik a Downhiller from Stellenbosch, South Africa

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2002

Strengths:    * Good for people with large hands

Weaknesses:    * Weighs 64,23 tons
* The handle don't bend, only the body
* Snaps very easily
* Not very cheap

Bottom Line:
When these things came on my bike everyone told me how much they suck. I just thought, hey it's just a lever, right? Boy was I wrong. You can't get a worse design and cheaper quality! They snap and bend very easily. It's good if you have big hands. These are not for you if you ride even a little bit agressively. If you just bought your bike to show off in the streets these are for you.

Favorite Trail:   Anyting going down...or up

Purchased At:   Stock on Mesa DSX

Similar Products Used:   Avid 1.9, 2.0 (WAY better!!)

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Mesa DSX, Deore all round, Marzocchi Junior T fork, tektro brake levers(not for long)

Submitted by Ashley Renfroe a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta, GA USA

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2001

Strengths:    No strengths.

Weaknesses:    Crappy, cheap, barely adjustable

Bottom Line:
These are crap brakes. Just a cheap imitation to save a buck, as bike prices have not gone down recently, in case you haven't noticed. I will be upgrading to Avid soon I hope, possibly a mech. disc in front!

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mountian State Park

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Avid, Shimano

Bike Setup:   Kona Blast, 1999 Marzocchi z4 Flylight, Deore LX components

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from NY, NY

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2000

Strengths:    Stengths? Thats a good one

Weaknesses:    Everything

Bottom Line:
I picked up a HardRock for the wife and these lame assed levers and brakes were stock The wife is no Palmer but even for her these things are crap. Will someone tell me why the big guys (specialized, Trek, etc) spec crap in the brakes dept? I mean I need to F**king stop sheez!!!! She used em one day literally threw em out the window, upgraded my levers and gave her my Avid 1.0 's They kick ass.

Purchased At:   Bike shop

Bike Setup:   Specialized Hard Rock

Submitted by Alfonso a Cross Country Rider from Oakland, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2000

Strengths:    no-frills design, ideal for two-finger squeeze

Weaknesses:    oh so weak and cheaply made, lever extensions too wide for one-finger squeeze

Bottom Line:
These levers were mated to original equipment Tektro V-brakes on a '00 Specialized Rockhopper I recently parted with after 1,000 miles. These levers, however, only survived 120 of those miles. After my first big crash (approx. 25 mph on rocks), one lever snapped in two and the other cracked near the lever pivot point. Useless.

Thinking about outfitting a dirt bike with these levers? Think again. Put 'em on a cruiser or rec bike instead.

Similar Products Used:   Avid SD Mag

Bike Setup:   Specialized Rockhopper A1 FS

Submitted by Crazy Wendeller a Weekend Warrior from Souderton PA USA

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2000

Strengths:    metal lever

Weaknesses:    everything

Bottom Line:
These levers blow a s s. The barrel adjusters look like WAL-MART's C-STAR Huffy levers. I'll give credit to the metal lever though. If they wouldne weigh 5,000,000,000lbs they would be reasionable. I replaced them with CODA's. The play was a "real" turnon, the plastic made me love 'em and you can't beat the "awesome" barrel adjusters & on the dot response! -haha

Favorite Trail:   Sheep Hills