Shimano LX Lever Brake Lever

3.64/5 (45 Reviews)

Shimano 96 LX Lever

Submitted by Mike Hoff a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2007

Strengths:    Power, price, adjustable and fit great with my XT shifters

Weaknesses:    None, So far

Bottom Line:
Pretty simple. These levers work great. The improved leverage system seems to work better than a typical leverage system. I was confused at first regarding instalation but once figured out it was simple and these levers work great with only one finger. Can't say I would need anything better. I'm going to match them with Avid BB7 Mechanical disk brakes in the future.

Favorite Trail:   Dike 8 - Folsom Lake(CA)----Palmer Park(CO

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Deore leavers

Bike Setup:   2002 dual suspention Specialized Rockhopper. LX Drive train exept shifters. LX crank, Judy C fork, fox float rear 4", sette xlr bars( .75inch riser), LX brake levers, rim brakes(still work great but not as sexy as disks), Blackburn light, XC fire pro tires(love them)--Rest is stock.

Submitted by james a Cross Country Rider from castro valley CA

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2005

Strengths:    everything! comfort, looks, lever length quality smoothness,price

Weaknesses:    none for me!

Bottom Line:
I love these levers. I think that they are super smooth, exremely adjustable, the most comfortable grips I have ever known. They are still simple. Great shimano product. They look great. I would eccomend them to everyone but obviously alot of people don't feel the same way.

Similar Products Used:   pauls love levers, Magura Blue, avid

Bike Setup:   Kona Pahoehoe,GT Zaskar LE

Submitted by Drew Nihill from Burlington, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2004

Strengths:    looks, excellent response, price, adjustable tension

Weaknesses:    haven't found any yet.

Bottom Line:
i use the levers only instead of the lever/shifter combo..it's worth the extra coin to buy them seperate instead of the combo.

Purchased At:   Brant Cycle

Similar Products Used:   deore

Submitted by reconone from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2003

Strengths:    cheap
adjustable power setting
can remove lever with out removing cable from brake
easy to bend back into shape after you drop your bike

Weaknesses:    flex
not very stiff

Bottom Line:
great lever for $10, don't have to worry about breaking an expensive lever

I bought 2 sets for the price, I broke my left one on a landing and it got to the point where it wouldn't bend back. They have lots of adjustments for a low priced BL

I use them with haynes hmx-1 discs. I think I am going to replace these with avid 7.0, the 7.0 is much stiffer

Purchased At:   jensonusa

- Lever shape
- 3 power leverage settings

Weaknesses:    - LX blue color doesn't really match most bikes
- FLEX

Bottom Line:
Shimano must have derived the LX letter from the work FLEX.
These are the flexiest levers that I have used. Just pull the lever on any showroom bike and you see the flex.

The power setting is useful, especially if you are using these with Avid disc brakes. The rounded lever shape is comfortable. I prefer the roundness over Avid SD lever's angular shape.

These are decent levers. Avid levers are better because they do not flex. If you are building a bike from scratch, get Avids. But if these came on your bike OEM, then just keep'em and don't fret over nothing.

Similar Products Used:   SRAM 9.0, Avid SD-5

Bike Setup:   Sycip hardtail, SID, blah blah blah...

Submitted by Logan from Franklin, MA

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2003

Strengths:    These levers are the best cable levers that I have used. The leverage control is nice to have, you can adjust how powerful your brakes are. I have only had mine for 3 months so far but they have worked really well, no problems yet. By the way I am using '99 Deore brake calipers.

Weaknesses:    I have never been a fan of the combined lever and shifters because I break things often. Also there are no numbers on the shifter index which is just a minor inconvenience but no reason to not get them.

Bottom Line:
I like these levers a lot, they are not terribly expensive and you get good performance out of them. They are good for XC, and maybe even trials (though I would recomend the HS-33s for trials). If you think that you are going to end up breaking it, I would get a seperate brake lever and shifter instead.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   '99 Deore Levers, HS-33 Magura Levers (these are nice!), Magura Louise Levers

Submitted by Eric Herbst a Racer from Bloomington, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2002

Strengths:    It worked fine for a couple months

Weaknesses:    Shimonopoly integrated shifter/brake lever = lots more $$$ when you break flimsy brake levers

Bottom Line:
Worked fine, but had a sort of on-off feel, from July 20 when I bought the bike to Sept 21 when I snapped the rear lever in a very minor crash in a race. Fortunately the lever was hanging by a shred of metal so it still pulled (sort of) and I was able to take a top 5 spot. I've now switched to Gripshift (which I'd been wanting to try anyway) and gone back to Avid, which I LOVED on my old bike. From other posts it looks like they're not too expensive, though.

Favorite Trail:   Indy

Purchased At:   R&M - Springfield, IL

Similar Products Used:   Avid 1.9L on my 97 Stumpjumper, now have Avid SD7 on my current bike

Bike Setup:   2002 Trek 8000, stock except for the darn BRAKE LEVERS AND SHIFTERS!

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Franklin, NC

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2002

Strengths:    They are extremely good for how much I paid for them. In my opinion they are the first ever disposable MB components.

Weaknesses:    Seriously lacking in the structure of the lever. It is basically a thick, metal sheet contoured into a lever.

Bottom Line:
The one incident that convinced me that these grips were hardly up to shimano quality was a colision with a tree on a trail. It was a small tree that came up too close on the right side and luckily hit my lever instead of breaking one of my fingers. When I stopped to check the damage the flimsy, thin-metal body of the lever was bent down about an extra 30 degrees from what it should be. I was able to bend them back to about 10 degrees but besides that, they'd never be the same.

DON'T BY THESE LEVERS UNLESS YOU PLAN TO USE THEM ONCE AND THROUGH THEM AWAY!!! THEY WILL BEND AND THE PULL IS SOFT AND SQUISHEY!!! Spend an extra $10 or $20 to get XT levers. They will last 5 times longer!

Favorite Trail:   Tsali

Purchased At:   ???

Similar Products Used:   None; I've bought bikes from wal-mart with break leverst that have lasted longer than these.

Submitted by Tim a Cross Country Rider from Westford, Ma, USA

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2002

Strengths:    worked good for the first couple of months. Still continue to work.

Weaknesses:    First of all, i hate the shifter/brake combo, and i am pissed that my bike came with it. But what can you do about that. Second, the rear lever has lost all the feel that it once had. Now it is just like crushing a banana whenever i pull it. The front lever however still has some feel, but i attribute that to the shorter cable. However, the thing does not have any power so that i can endo. Cant ride a nose wheelie when these things dont help me out.

Bottom Line:
These things are great for the first couple of months, but after that, they sort of lose their power and feel. Now that i have had them for a year, I dont like them what so ever. I wish they hadnt come in a combo because i am upgrading to avid levers. I have tried many pairs of avid levers, and all of them have a lot better feel and adjustability than the shimano levers.
Overall, I would not recommend these for anyone who likes to have some power. They are fine for a short period of time, but after that, they sort of just lose their goodness. Save yourself some time and just stick with some good ol avid levers.