Machine Tech Zeroflex QL Brake Lever

3.81/5 (21 Reviews)

Machine Tech Zeroflex QL

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from South Orange County, CA

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2001

Strengths:    Light weight, awesome looks, great modulation

Weaknesses:    haven't found one yet.

Bottom Line:
More updates. These levers have now found their way on a fourth frame (see reviews below). Had to take the SC to the bike shop the other day and the mechanic was pretty excited about the levers. He thought they were classic and that I shouldn't use any other levers. Anyways, they still work great. If you can still find a pair, it would be worth purchasing.

Favorite Trail:   If it's dirt, it's good

Purchased At:   Bike Source, Irvine

Similar Products Used:   Avid, Shimano, Dia Compe

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight, XTR, Race Face, Kore, Spinergy Spox, Manitou X-Vert Air

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Orange County

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my 4/98 post. I have now used these levers for 2.5 years on three separate bikes. I have not experienced a single problem yet. If you can still find them, BUY THEM!

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Submitted by James a Cross-Country Rider from New York

Date Reviewed: June 26, 1999

Strengths:
Very Light Weight

Weaknesses:
Absolutely nothing

Bottom Line:
Performance: Excellent (You can't go wrong with this beauties)
Looks:it's a head turner
Price:never mine coz. it's worth a thousand buck
Get it today befor it's all sold out

xc trail

3 months

xt levers

Klein Attitude Race

Submitted by Jamie a Cross-Country Rider from Boston

Date Reviewed: April 25, 1999

Strengths:
relatively inexpensive, great feel, good looks

Weaknesses:
some poor design features: barrel slots too large, adjustment locknuts do not function, cut-out potentially dangerous, and silly sized clamp bolt

Bottom Line:
While being an excellent felling lever they have major problems. In my 2+ years of use I have experienced EVERY one of the faults that the others have experienced. First off the slots for the barrel end are too large, no cable made on earth fits properly. Second I ha one of my levers springs get screwed up, fortunetly XT brakes have strong springs so it really didn't matter. And once I DID get a finger stuck in the cut-out, just dumb luck but still no good. I also bent my left lever on my knee when doing a little DH action at Mt. Snow which hurt real f*cking bad! So I stuck the remaing one on my BMX where it is functioning as good as it can. I would recommend XTR as being a better choice though as they are far stronger and fell even better which I didn't think was possible.

2 Years

XT Cantis, XT XTR LX D/C Vs, Hayes Hydraulic Disc, Magura Racelines

Was on my hardtail (ti frame Judy SL, MT&RF&XT parts) now that I have just one it is on my BMX - DK Legend

Submitted by BIKE FREAK a racer from Montreal,QC,CAN

Date Reviewed: February 23, 1999

Bottom Line:

Very cool product...
I raced them for a full season with zero problem and zeroflex!!!( the 4mm clamping bolt is too tiny though) I let them go when I sold the bike... with regret!!! Those who had problem with breakage probably bought early production units (????)

Submitted by neil a racer from NC

Date Reviewed: December 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

i like these a lot. not as good as XTR, but hell, i got them from Bikeworld for $19. cant beat that. they are light. dont flex. look cool. ive put about 600 miles on then and no problems. i can see how the cable snatch can be a hazard. to avoid problems DONT use shifter cables for brake cables! also set the lever up before the brake so you can rotate the cable in the housing so it dosnt twist in the lever. like i said, no problems so far... 5 flamers

Submitted by schiz a weekend warrior from b'ham, alabam

Date Reviewed: October 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

I liked these levers, also, until they broke!!!! Be careful. If the brake cable end becomes twisted in the lever, then all the force applied to the lever will rest upon a tiny sliver of aluminum that will break. Guaranteed. This is a serious design flaw with these levers. These levers will join the crappy Machine Tech LP brakes (that I long ago replaced due to crappy design)in the crappy high-end junk parts retirement shoe box.

Submitted by JoBu a cross-country rider from FL

Date Reviewed: September 30, 1998

Bottom Line:

I first saw these brake levers when I bought my girlfriend a 96 Klein Attitude. After taking a short ride on her bike, I was in love. I quickly ordered a set for my ride and have been stoked ever since. They have a great feel to them, their modulation feels as good as my old XTR's, plus with their billet look, they are one of the best-lookin' levers out there. My advice as always is ride before you buy, but once you've spent a few minutes on them, I'm sure you'll have a set on your ride. 5 flaming Mr. Hanky's. Heidee-Ho

Submitted by Julian Wilson a racer from Manhattan,Kansas

Date Reviewed: September 10, 1998

Bottom Line:

These levers are very cool! You have to be kind of stupid to put your finger in the cut out, it does take some effort. If you have any problem with these levers in the long run shims work great. I had no problem keeping my fingers out of the cut outs, but I can also resist drinking bright colored fluids from underneath the kitchen sink, that might have something to do with it.

Submitted by Spanky a cross-country rider from east coast

Date Reviewed: June 24, 1998

Bottom Line:

OK, it's been almost 2 years now, and here is an update. The levers still look good. the design is simple. they havn't fallen apart yet. However, the return spring is really weak. there are three settings for return spring tension via 3 holes in the brake lever body. the spring is so delicate, weak, and light that it does not stay in the hole. I'm not sure if it pops out of the hole due to too much room or play in the body in conjunction with the weakness of the spring. I have to rely on the tension in my brakes to return the lever fully to it's position. I have not contacted Machine Tech yet, but plan on calling them this week for some input. My rating has gone down.

Submitted by carlo obillos a cross-country rider from toronto

Date Reviewed: May 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

i found these levers for thirty bucks canadian (about 2.50 american, so i bought them. i thought i would compare them to my precision billets, and if i didn't like them, i could sell them easy. i'm selling them. in comparison, the pivot is stickier, there is more play in the lever, and they are slightly heavier. they do pull more cable than the precisions, though, and therefore feel firmer. i really don't care about the too-big cable holes, but i do like the adjustability, looks (it would take an effort for me to catch a finger in the cutout) and the quiet way they sit in my toolbox.

Submitted by bisikl a weekend warrior from N.C.

Date Reviewed: May 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

They worked O.K. for a while,but they fell apart on me while flying down a fire road.They gave no indication that the bolt assy. had came loose.When I realized they had came apart, it was too late to recover the lost parts.They're performance was good until this happened.I'm sticking with Shimano!

Submitted by BRAIN a weekend warrior from TN

Date Reviewed: May 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

MACHINE TECH BRAKE LEVERS ARE VERY NICE LOOKING LIGHTWEIGHT AND WELL MADE. MY ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT HOLES IN THE BRAKE LEVER BLADES ARE TO LARGE NO MATTER WHAT BRAND OF CABLE YOU TRY. THIS DOES NOT EFFECT PERFORMANCE BUT THIS FLAW SHOULD HAVE BEEN CAUGHT BY MACHINE TECH BEFORE PRODUCTION.

Submitted by Rob a weekend warrior from Aliso Viejo

Date Reviewed: April 30, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've been running these levers with Avid 20 brakes for about a year now. These
levers are awesome. They are very light and engage very smoothly. Although the
levers can be pulled with two fingers, one finger is all that is needed. This
lever is also excellent for the price. You can't go wrong.

Submitted by Zack Minick a racer from u.s.a.

Date Reviewed: April 2, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have had these levers for a good 6 months and I love them!! They look great ( due to the expert machineing), work fantastic, have all the options, are light, and are priced less than most other comperable levers. The blade is big enough to fit 2 1/2 fingers (none of that 1 finger crap) and is quite comfortable. I have heard stories of people getting their digits cought in the cut-out, but I have never experienced this myself.