Grafton Levers Brake Lever

4.46/5 (13 Reviews)

Grafton Levers

Submitted by logbiter a Cross Country Rider from lafayette,LA

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2001

Strengths:    minimalist, leverage adjustable, 1 finger braking, kewl green color, nice pivot.

Weaknesses:    yeah yeah, dry rot rubber tip- Tool dip works great.

Bottom Line:
These are nice levers.. Not as easy to adjust leverage as the Avid SD line, but way better quality than SD 2.0's. Lighter than SD ultimates. I would prefer the version w/ longer brake arms, but hey, they were a great deal (I'd never pay full retail for these).

Similar Products Used:   avid sd, original deore

Bike Setup:   rockhopper, avid tri-aligns, bastrd parts mix from spare parts bin

Submitted by Mache a Cross Country Rider from Germany

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2000

Strengths:    awesome looks
good feeling
adjustable pivot

Weaknesses:    IT BROKE!
and they were really expensive!

Bottom Line:
These brake levers are the coolest on earth! They're light weight and work excellent with Grafton Speed Controllers brakes.
BUT
For G*d's sake! If you own them, make sure you ride with long bar ends, so they can protect the brake levers in case you crash. Mine broke...

Similar Products Used:   Dia-Compe SS7

Bike Setup:   Yeti Pro F.R.O.

Submitted by Dwight Mitchell a Cross Country Rider from Piscataway, NJ USA

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2000

Strengths:    One Finger Action, Excellent Stopping Power on downhill sections. Lightweight maretials. Cool Colors. I use the complete Grafton braking system. I also have their crank sets.

Weaknesses:    Rubber grips wear out quickley, but they can be replaced.

Bottom Line:
Excellent product! I would recommend it to everyone. It's not the cheapest, but I feel you get the value for your dollar. I have never regreted spending the money. I love to ride hard, especially downhill. I wanted my bike to be as light as possible and at the same time be confidence inspiring. I want to know my brakes are going to stop me at the bottom of a long fast descent. There is never any doubt in my mind the the Graftons will not do the job. There products are bomb proof. I love them all.

Favorite Trail:   Killington, VT

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT & XTR

Bike Setup:   Amp Research B3 Fully Suspended bike. No Disc brake system.

Submitted by Bo a Cross-Country Rider from Arkansas

Date Reviewed: October 2, 1999

Strengths:
Light Simple efficient, titanium pivot bolt and brass shims, stronger than anything on today's market.

Weaknesses:
rubber grip withers away, but you can buy foam ones from kooka for 2$ and they fit nicely, in fact I like them more.

Bottom Line:
Sweet.

Devil's den

more than 3 years

precision billet, avid, shimano

Judy FSK

Submitted by durangoman a Cross-Country Rider from durango(duh) co

Date Reviewed: July 3, 1999

Strengths:
one finger braking with Avid cantilevers when set up by someone who knows how to do it right (me)

Weaknesses:
the rubber lever covers rot away quickly

Bottom Line:
I understand they were expensive, but I didn't pay for mine (thanx, John). I think they're perfect. A tip: Coat the levers with ToolDip, then you don't have to replace rotted rubber covers ever again. Once you achieve one-finger nose wheelies, how much more braking do you require? Plus, way better modulation (no wanker skids) that are so common with v-brake riders. I think they are the best levers ever made, just enough, no excess.

trails 2000 network

more than 3 years

most all of them, for ragazine reviews

they're on my 92 Merlin, the second one made with curved stays

Submitted by STIFFY a Racer from NNL

Date Reviewed: July 2, 1999

Strengths:
good at being bad.

Weaknesses:
the whole thing.

Bottom Line:
my love hand cramps when i use these. for that, they are worth -5 of those things.

less than 1 month

LX, XTR

ATB

Submitted by misanthropical a weekend warrior from Minnesota

Date Reviewed: January 8, 1999

Bottom Line:

Grafton levers are as compact as they get.
They made two versions long and short....the short ones are the ones pictured above. Graftons are solid and made of optimum materials. The weight above pertains to the long levers the short ones are 105 grams for all you gram counters this should be inserted into your history books should the question come up. Nothing is as sleek or as indestructable as grafton levers, I myself refused to buy new levers when V brakes came out, I now use the Travel Agent and XT V brakes which works wonderful with the Graftons. There are four individual pivot settings on the Graftons and the longest pull is almost enough to pull B brakes without the Travel Agent. Graftons get 5 stars from me....no they are not flaming cow turds or chilli peppers they are stars....see it says so in the overall rating box 1 star 2 star 3 star etc.... they look like no star I've ever seen maybe they are representing the top 1/2 of a red giant up close. Who knows.....5 stars from me though *****
**get your free e-mail address*** www.anti-social.com

Submitted by Luv Thang a racer from fred Vegas, VA

Date Reviewed: November 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

Jeez, only 6 reviews and at the top of the list...
I've had mine for 5 years now.
No doubt well designed & executed, though minimalistic (is tha ta word?).
Luv the light weight and the truly one finger feel.
Luv the brass pivot (when its clean (graphite lube works great)) and the adjustability.
Have you seen a cooler lever ? (are these retro yet?)My only complaints would be:
Theyz trez expen$ive & you can't find 'em (or replacement parts) anymore!
The large surface area pivot requires more frequent cleaning,
There ain't much material around the cable end hole so they bend here easy,
The rubber grips on mine have finaly dry rotted.Mr Grafton, Please make some more !

Submitted by Randal Fujita a cross-country rider from Seattle

Date Reviewed: November 7, 1998

Bottom Line:

These levers are the best! CNC machining and finish at it's finest. Unique features such as a 4-way adjustable pivot to vary cable pull, brass shims, and a lever handle that feels so right. As it's been said You get what you paid for not only applies to these levers, but to all Grafton products as well. Pricey, but SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!

Submitted by engleim a cross-country rider from Mo.

Date Reviewed: October 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

These are the best levers ever made!
titanium pivot bolt...simple and effective brass shims on the inside.
beautiful....just beautiful. These are simple and elegant. The levers only require one finger. The rubber cover is comfy and they are durable yet light. More attractive and functional than Kooka it is a damn shame they went out of business.
one of the true 5 star products ever made

Submitted by Steven Rodoletz from cross-country rider

Date Reviewed: February 24, 1997

Bottom Line:

Here is a design so simply effective it becomes beautiful immediately. Perfectly executed, these instruments serve their purpose exactly as stated. One finger levers for one finger braking. I have tested many other fine levers at various price points. But these are the finest at any time and at any price. Fit, feel, materials, manufacture and design; all make Graftons the epitome of superior bicycling technology. Special Note: A patented adjustable pivoting pin allows for the feel of the forward and rear levers to be very finely matched, truly unique. The very finest brake levers in all world.

Submitted by John a cross-country rider from lakewood, co.

Date Reviewed: January 13, 1997

Bottom Line:

Very light, powerfull, and love the pin adjustment for lever action and feel. strong and durable. better than avids or kookas

Submitted by Planetarium a weekend warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: April 3, 1996

Bottom Line:

Small and Super Light!!!!
Very goooodd!!! but sometimes it's too small and reviewed that it wouldn't
perform as well when using V-brakes, compared with Avid
overall gooodd!!!

Have Zees, miss freestroke adjust -> XT or Saint levers?

Love everything about the zees except miss the freestroke adjustment (these replaced 1 of 2 sets of elixir CRs). I assume I could find XT levers much cheaper than Saints, but what compromises would I be making? Are the piston differences that may be noticeable? Who has franken brake setups ... Read More »

XTR BR985 brake levers vs. BR988 ?

Looking at the BR 985 and BR 988 brake levers and you can help me decide. Considering that they will not be used for extreme riding, that Shimano suggests the 988 is for, is the extra weight of the 988 worth the extra adjustability? I mean how often would you use those adusters and in the end would ... Read More »

Gore cables with top mount levers

I'm installing a set of gore brake cables on my cross bike. Do I need to cut the liner for the top mount levers, or do I leave it intact? I don't want it to bind in the lever or have the liner too short at the caliper. Any advice would be appreciated. ThanksRead More »

Longer Levers on XT brakes

1 finger braking capability is great, but I simply like to ride with 2 fingers on the brake levers. XT levers are too short for me. Is there any way to get XT (or Saint or Zee or ??) brakes with longer levers?Read More »

KCNC X7 levers and hose with Shimano XT caliper - Any chance?

Hello, Couple of days ago while leaving from work, I noticed that somebody had cut my brake hose and stolen my KCNC X7 rear brake caliper! I was shocked because I cannot understand that what he will do with it (in Finland, markets are small so its hard to sell that specific piece). Anyway, I ... Read More »