Dia-Compe PC-7 Brake Lever

2.82/5 (45 Reviews)

Dia Compe PC-7

Submitted by Alex a Cross Country Rider from Portland, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2003

Strengths:    Great modulation, adjustment barrel made of aluminium, long handle, easy to set up.

Weaknesses:    A little bit side play of the levers

Bottom Line:
These Dia Compe PC-7 brake levers were designed to work with center pull cantilever brakes only. Therefore, all complains, that they're not working well with V-brakes, have no grounds. These brakes have some lever side play but it's not preventing you from stopping the bike. They might not look too cool for some posers and freds, but they do the job well.
I'll give them four flaming bananas because of this overlooked design flaw with the levers' side play.

Favorite Trail:   Mounthood & city streets

Purchased At:   E-bay

Similar Products Used:   Tekro (POS), Shimano of different kind.

Bike Setup:   Rigid commuter rig. Leader LD-515 aluminium frame, Surly rigid fork, Pazzaz threadless stem and handle bar, all Shimano Mega-9 XT drivetrain (derraileurs, crankset, cassette), Shimano LX center pull cantilevers, SRAM-9 shorty grip shifts, Bontrager wheelset, Planet Bike wide carbon fenders, GT seat post, CD bike seat, RAD accessories silver platform cartridge pedals.

Submitted by Jason DeWilde from Savage MN

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    CHEAP, ugly, weak

Bottom Line:
These levers came on by bike. Once I upgraded to V-brakes, these old levers didn't optimize the braking power. They're probably a fine upgrade for someone with an old cheaper bike, but they have no place on mine. Email me if you want them for a cheap price.

Similar Products Used:   Avid AD1.0 L

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper, judy xc, Avid SD 25 V-brakes, Avid AD 1.0 L levers, Nashbar clipples pedals

Submitted by Blake Williams a Weekend Warrior from Chicago, Il USA

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2001

Strengths:    Few. Fairly Light.

Weaknesses:    They have zero modulation. Terrible feel. I honestly feel like they don't stop the bike well either. Look Generic.

Bottom Line:
These came on my Klein, They look cheap, and don't perform well. The ancient Rapid fire levers on my backup bike work/feel better.

Favorite Trail:   Potto

Purchased At:   on bike

Similar Products Used:   93' Deore Rapid fire plus, Avid Speed Dial 7

Bike Setup:   96 Klein Pulse Comp, Ritchey Rock/OCR Pro/Deore wheels, Indy SL(next to be upgraded) Gripshift 800/lx Avid Arch Rival 50 Brakes/speed dial 7 levers

Submitted by john a Cross-Country Rider from Canada Eh!

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2000

Strengths:
great
good feel

Weaknesses:
Squeak after two uses need lubing

Bottom Line:
GReat crisp levers that always work

3 months

RH A1 FS

Submitted by Nomar a Weekend Warrior from Fredericton, NB

Date Reviewed: July 19, 1999

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
These levers are crap and are part of a crap brakeset

Bottom Line:
These levers are just crap. The feel is sloppy, the return springs are not strong enough, the appearance is garbage.
Need I go on??
I guess so, for 50 words. The front brakes is constantly sticking on the rim, no amount of lubing will help.
The levers rattle, and have a ridiculous amount of vertical play, and tightening only makes them unuseable. It kills me that a 1200 dollar (Canadian) bike can't even find a set of brakes better than ones I can make myself.

3 months

STX-RC
LX

Specialized A1 FS with Manitou Spyders, and Dia comp 733 brakes

Submitted by Shane a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: June 23, 1999

Strengths:
Honestly... nothing good about it.

Weaknesses:
Lever is very loose, too much up and down movement, lever material no strong enough tends to flex slightly when pulled hard.

Bottom Line:
Forget this one and get something else.

less than 1 month

Submitted by wood a Weekend Warrior from Sevenoaks

Date Reviewed: May 8, 1999

Strengths:
Extremely Cheap
Very good performance for the price

Weaknesses:
None for the price

Bottom Line:
I bought these levers out of necessity when my LX v leavers broke, and I didn't have much money. But having put them through hell I cant see any reason to complain and wouldn't swap them for anything.

local Jumps

6 months

Lx V levers

Marin Nail Trail
Marzochi bomber Z2 Abomb

Submitted by Ray a Cross-Country Rider from State College, PA

Date Reviewed: April 25, 1999

Bottom Line:
GOOD: The price was good. There is not a lot of slop in movement or weakness in the materials.
BAD: The return spring is weak. No return spring adjustment Do not pull enough cable quick enough for V brakes
SUMMARY: Buy for standard cantis, not V-brakes

1 Year

Alu Hardtail with DiaCompe 737 brakes

Submitted by al a cross-country rider from college station, Tx

Date Reviewed: February 22, 1999

Bottom Line:

Cheap levers don't come better than this. My PC7exa's feel good, work fine, look decent, have adjustable cable pull (do you complainers realize that?) and have survived some way bad crashes--one of which broke my GripShift, but the levers were just a little scratched. Can't be beat for the price, and if you spend more, you'll just get cooler looks and slighty less weight, not better performance.

Submitted by Phil... a cross-country rider from Alaska

Date Reviewed: November 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

Well, they work. They are kind of sloppy, and don't have the kind of feel a quality lever manufactured to close tolerances provides... Were I rich I would get Real levers. But I am not so I will stick with these. They are tough enough to have survived a few crashes, adjustable enough that I can get them to fell almost right. A very average performing lever in my opinion.
Three blazing violin cases, or are they cellos?

Submitted by Demolition a cross-country rider from miami

Date Reviewed: August 24, 1998

Bottom Line:

These levers came on my klein and were very weak and cheap
feeling from the get go. They scratched very easily and
rattled to no end. I replaced them with xt's ,what a
difference. I recommend you do the same.
My name is Elmer J. Fudd. I own a mansion and a yatch.

Submitted by Will a weekend warrior from SF,CA

Date Reviewed: August 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

I got these for about 26 bucks from Performance, and have used them for a good year and a half w/ XT and LX- Vs. They do a good job of pulling enough cable,which can be adjusted, and feels alright. This is a perfect 2 finger lever, even with twist shifters. There is, though, a little bit of slop that can't be fix, even by tightening the bolt under the lever, but you really don't notice it while riding. Otherwise I have no problems with it. At this price range, there are only the LX, which I hear are too too short, and the Tektros, and I believe these are the best among them. In short, this is a good funtioning lever ofr the price.

Submitted by trekker a cross-country rider from Elk Rapids, MI

Date Reviewed: July 12, 1998

Bottom Line:

I like these levers because they have a really soft feel which keeps me from slamming on them. Probably most people don't like that soft feel but personaly, I like a little give and you can't beat the price on these things. Thier cheap and they work for me but don't buy them if you're into perfect control.

Submitted by Ed Borran a racer from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: June 13, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have tried to keep an open mind about these levers, allowing time for them to get worn in and fix the little problems, but after nearly a year, these suck big time. They just don't work at all if they get mud in them and constantly need adjusting. I originally broke the first set on my first ride, so I sent them back and got some new ones, which I'm using now. I doubt that they pull nearly enough cable - you'd be better leaning over and pressing two wet sponges on the sides of the rim for all the power and feedback you get. I've tried using LX, XTand Avid SD 1.0 levers and they work fine with my brake calipers. These levers are simply S**T.

Submitted by Jan Bovin a weekend warrior from Sweden

Date Reviewed: June 3, 1998

Bottom Line:

Have had this lever for about six months now combined with LX. They work
satisfactory, look OK and have sort of nice solid feel to them. I suppose they could pull a bit more cable. Just bought a new bike with Avid 1.0 and I would go for the Avid's if I had to choose. They r lighter and more robust as far as I can tell. Haven't put the Avid's through hell yet though.