Avid Speed Dial Ti Brake Lever

4.73/5 (15 Reviews)
Weight : 142 grams

• Speed Dial Leverage Adjustment
  • Designed to bend the handle, not damage the body

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by dudemanbro a Weekend Warrior from norcal

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2008

Strengths:    lightweight, durability, adjustability

Weaknesses:    must remove grips to slide off of handlebars

Bottom Line:
    Nice levers that can be found for the right price on the web. They are as low maintenance and adjustable as anything else I've come across, and I've been able to bend the levers back to being straight after crashing! They have a very crisp action to them, and look pretty damn slick. No complaints here.

*If you're only getting new levers for your brake setup, look no further. However, if you need both levers and brakes for F/R check out the Speed Dial 7/Single Digit 7 Combo for ~$70 (if you don't mind the added weight).

Similar Products Used:   Avid SD 1.9, Shimano LX & XT

Bike Setup:   used with Avid SD7 brakes

Submitted by Daniel A a Weekend Warrior from Kissimmee, Florida, USA

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2007

Strengths:    Cool Looks, light weight. Adjustment options

Weaknesses:    Looks whimpy (compared to Shimanos) but looks can deceive it is very strong.

Bottom Line:
    I had a complete ProMax setup (which I believe is a Shimano product) and the biggest downfall where the pads and the levers. After upgrading the pads it made a big difference, but upgrading to the levers made an even bigger differnce. On my maiden voyage i almost toppled over the handle bars. They are also half the weight of my old levers. Many adjustments available. When AVID says single digit they really mean that you can stop the bike in wet or muddy conditions with just One Finger. I heard people always talk about the first think you should upgrade are the calipers, i found out that the pads and levers matter more than the calipers. I now outbreak my frinds bike with expensive disks in wet or dry. I would recommend going with Ti's (which I believe are now replaced by the SL) or the 7's, don't go with the 5's they are junk.

Favorite Trail:   Santos

Similar Products Used:   ProMax

Bike Setup:   08 Rockhopper, ProMax Calipers, Coolmax MTB Dual Compound, AVID SD Ti Levers

Submitted by Charlie a Cross Country Rider from Prague, Czech Republic

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2007

Strengths:    Adjustability, light weight, look good

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
    I bent one of the stock SD5 levers so put these on (had bought them a while back, just hadn't got round to fitting them). Instantly i noticed that setup was much better than the SD5, the build quality is miles better, they just feel better all round.

Similar Products Used:   Avid SD5

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper 06 HT with some nice touches

Submitted by Julian a Weekend Warrior from Budapest, Hungary

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2006

Strengths:    FEEL & ACTION! Light. Quality manufacturing & design. Adjustment level.

Weaknesses:    Watch those clamp bolts! Remember the're titanium screwing into a magnesium alloy! (Should be a cautionary note on in in the instructions - even though they give torque settings).

Bottom Line:
    I'm reviewing the 'Avid Speed Dial 7 SL', which I suppose is the same (or similar) to the 'Avid Speed Dial Ti'(??). The leaver is well manufactured! Brake leaver feels smooth and moves without 'vertical' flexing. The levelage adjustment is excellent and works well - you can really setup the lever how you like it. Instructions are well thought out and actually help! Finally, the leaver feel in your hand & action when riding is fantastic, progressive as you want, movement feels anatomically correct. I'm using the 'SD7 SL' with cheap rim brakes and it really improves the action. The leaver shape reduces specific pressure on the fingers & reduced my hand fatigue. This was the first thing I noticed.

The SL is not much more than the SD7 & is really a worthy buy!

Purchased At:   http://ebike.hu/

Similar Products Used:   Bike Positive (#33102) levers.

Bike Setup:   Mid range hard tail.

Submitted by Svenne a Cross Country Rider from Belgium

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2005

Strengths:    Looks,light,don't break,they do bent!(lever)

Weaknesses:    Just use the torque settings according the manufacturer!If not it will break.

Bottom Line:
    These brake levers are just the one i'm searching for.You can adjust them them in many ways to fit your finger(s).The modulation i don't use.I broke once the clamp 'cos i didn't use a torque tool.After using the torque tool,no more probs.Also i felt once on the brake,and i could just bend the lever back(still using it after 8 months with no probs)There are of course much lighter levers,but these are one of the better price/quality for me(although i tuned them with alu bolts)

Purchased At:   H&S bike-discount

Similar Products Used:   Avid SD 5r,Shimano xt

Bike Setup:   HT tuned with light-weight parts

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2005

Strengths:    Light weight, strong, great adjustability

Weaknesses:    haven't found them

Bottom Line:
    I have had great experience with these levers. Much better than my old LX before them. The length of the lever is nice, the adjustment is superb. The speed dial is very nice, i set them so i don't go over the handlebars. Work great with my avid ball bearing discs. Nice comfortable feel, and cool looking too.

Similar Products Used:   LX levers

Bike Setup:   02 C-dale F800, fatty ultra dl, mavic wheels, sram drivetrain-LX deraileurs, thomson layback post, Maxxis tires

Submitted by chris hoffman a Downhiller from coral gables, fl

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2004

Strengths:    Sublte looks,I dont need the "look at me" flashy stuff. Light weight yet still feel extremely solid and stiff. Great modulation. Better than the shimano counterpart, XT/XTR.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
    Bottom line is this. There are to many lightweight flashy, underbuilt, overpriced products on the market today. These TI levers do not fit in that category, they are reasonably light, super comfortable, extremely adjustable, and overall just plain killer. Regardless of what type of rider you are, I would HIGHLY recommend this product. Wait till you can find them for under $50 and snatch them up, you will never regret it.

Favorite Trail:   amelia earhart

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX, XT, DEORE, AND XTR.

Bike Setup:   99' Specialized enduro, upgraded shock and spring, shermans, arch rivals, atom lab stem, DK iron cross pedals, XT shifters&derrailleurs etc. Just good solid stuff.

Submitted by Smytty a Cross Country Rider from Kingston, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2004

Strengths:    Light. Adjustable. They work perfectly with Avid Mech Discs. Easy to use. Great ergonomics.

Weaknesses:    They're not free.

Bottom Line:
    Great levers. They feel and work better than my old LX stuff, and allow me to fine tune the reach, modulation and firmness using the speed dial, which is dead simple to use. When I get the chance, I'm going to convert my hardtail over to Avid levers too.

Favorite Trail:   Any singletrack

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX, PROMAX, no-name crap.

Bike Setup:   Sugar 3+, avid discs, etc...

Submitted by Perry a Cross Country Rider from Concord

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2004

Strengths:    Light, simple to adjust, looks great. I swithed over to Sram X9 shorty shifters so decided to try these. So far so good.

Weaknesses:    Not all the hardware is Titanium but is still lighter than its Shimano counterpart.

Bottom Line:
    I used to be a Shimano only biker, but these are just as good if not better. They are lighter, have good feel, and are more bang for the buck!

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Diablo

Purchased At:   123bikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore XT and older XTR shifter brake combos

Bike Setup:   Litespeed, Avid Ti, Avid Disks, Thompson stem & post, C King, Answer Carbon, Sram x9 shorty shifters & deralleur, XT 2 hollowtech cranks, Mavic CrossRoc

Submitted by Benjamin from Greenville, SC

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2003

Strengths:    feel
    weight compared to my first brakes (promax and later avid sd 5's)
    tough several endos on pavement and downhill

Bottom Line:
    i didn't really didn't think they'd improve my braking but wow. they're really scratched up now but that's only because i've been pretty rough on em. upgraded both the levers and v's. i've done downhills all over wnc and south carolina and they've always stopped great, even over the snow ride i did last night.

Favorite Trail:   pisgah- anything

Similar Products Used:   promax stock brakes, sd 5's

Bike Setup:   trek fuel 90 stock except for the sd ti's and irc mythos

Submitted by Chucky a Cross Country Rider from Tampa, FL

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2003

Strengths:    Strong, adjustable (thanks to speed dial), killer looks

Weaknesses:    The brakes they are connected to right now.

Bottom Line:
    Got these brake lever intending to hook them up to some Avid Mech. Discs, but have decided to try the SD 7.0s. These levers rock. I can adjust and squeeze the crap out of, and they flex the hell out of my current crappy brakes. I'm surprised they havent snapped em yet.
    I am very particular about the finer points in my bikes control and the amount of lever pull is one of em. I like TIGHT brakes, and the speed dial control gives me the ability to adjust the pull to EXACTLY where I want it.

Favorite Trail:   Moonscape

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   SD 5.0, variety of crap on a lot of lower end bikes

Bike Setup:   GT XCR 5.0. XT drive train. stock Pro Max brakes (complete crap!)

Submitted by Peter Hughes a Cross Country Rider from New Forest UK

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2002

Strengths:    Look OK! Able to match the 'feel' of the front, and rear lever with absolutly no effort thanks to the speed dial.

Weaknesses:    No weakness really,

Bottom Line:
    they do exactly what they are there to do. Some people may be unexcited by their subtle, uninteresting looks, but they're a lever which kind of sits there minding it's own business, and doesn't scream XTR with it's fancy polish, and decals.

Favorite Trail:   Snowdonia N Wales UK

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Cycles - Ireland UK

Similar Products Used:   XTR, XT, LX, DX (time served MTB'ers will remember these),
    speed dial 3's.

Bike Setup:   Airborne Lky' Strike, XTR, Easton, Chris King, Avids, Mavic Crossrocs.

Submitted by Joel a Cross Country Rider from Lancaster, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2002

Strengths:    Lightweight, gotta the adjustable fulcrum point.

Weaknesses:    The Ti's are a bit pricey, but the lower end ones seem to work just as good.

Bottom Line:
    I won't use any other brake lever than a speed dial. Maybe I'm just anal about my bike setup, but the adjustable fulcrum point allows you to adjust how progressive you want the brakes to engage. An advantage when riding different terrain...dial them back off for the mud, and crank them back up when the traction is better. It also allows you to match the "feel" of the front and rear levers.

Favorite Trail:   Cannell Plunge

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   XT V's, Avid Speed dial, Kooka Racha V's, Magura, Kooka Hydraulics.

Bike Setup:   Specialized M2, Marzocchi Atom Z2, XT/XTR, Race Face, Easton, Velomax Climax's

Submitted by DtEW a Weekend Warrior from SoCal, USA

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2002

Strengths:    High stiffness, low weight, and low price (relative to XTR levers)

Weaknesses:    Too-short length, "eh" bushing concentricity

Bottom Line:
    Only got a single ride on them, so take this with the appropriate grain of salt.

The levers work fine. They're stiff and leverage is an absolute pleasure to adjust. The main problem I have with them is their ergonomics when installed on any SRAM Halfpipe-length shifter. Despite having a lever length like other levers, its relationship with the clamp makes them no more than single-finger levers without the phenomenal power and modulation of hydraulic disks (which I can use single-fingered). It makes continuous braking more of a chore than it has to be.

Anther issue that may or may not matter to you is the fact that the plastic bushings on the pivot pin aren't as concentric as they should be, which means that if you rebuild these levers and don't experiment with the "clocking" of the bushings, the lever can scrape against the inside of the lever housing. It can be non-issue if you're a mechanically anal guy like me, but other people out there, take note. My levers arrived scraping from the very beginning, which is what forced me to discover this fact.

Similar Products Used:   XT levers, XTR levers, SRAM 9.0 levers (pre and post SRS-era models)

Bike Setup:   What's relevant with this product is that it is being used with XTR brakes and SRAM 9.0 Halfpipe shifters.

Submitted by Nate a Cross Country Rider from Waldport, OR USA

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2001

Strengths:    Hopefullly it's strength is it's strength.

Weaknesses:    Had to buy them.Avid said is was riding the levers at a point beyond there capability.I guess that means wanting to stop and have the lever arm remain atached to the lever body.

Bottom Line:
    I broke two pair of Mag's and lost faith in them so I ordered the Ti from my local shop because I liked the feal of the mag levers but hated the way the broke.avid sent my dealer a set of repacement lever arms for my mags made of aluminium.What do you know, put the ti's beside my old levers with there new arms and they look just the same! I have a hunch that the only Ti parts are the little bolt's and pivot pin.I just hope that they hold up better than the mag's.

Purchased At:   oregoncoastcyclery