Altek BL40 Brake Levers Brake Lever

4.17/5 (6 Reviews)

Altek BL40 Brake Levers

Submitted by Giancarlo a Cross-Country Rider from Irvine, CA

Date Reviewed: July 31, 1999

Strengths:
They feel good. Look good. Lightweight.

Weaknesses:
The leak. No seals.

Bottom Line:
These levers feel good and look good. They're also lightweight compared to the stock Magura levers. But man, do they leak. They should add some seals on the fill plugs. I have yet to get an o-ring that will fit. I am currently riding without rear brakes. I may be hooking the Magura levers back up.

Whiting

1 Year

Magura stock levers.

Maguras, hardtail

Submitted by irie mon a cross-country rider from Southern California

Date Reviewed: May 25, 1998

Bottom Line:

These Altek levers are the bomb... Beautifully machined. They feel great, and a lot lighter than the stock Maguras. Problem is that they leak right after just filling it with the Magura hydraulic fluid. But after awhile, it stops leaking, but still with a tad of air inside. So adjustment dials are set up tightly. Adjustment via dials on the handles itself is very good. They should add seals on the fill plugs.

Submitted by Big Dave a cross-country rider from Waterdown, Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: March 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

I recently purchased a pair of Altek BL40 Switchblade levers and all I can say is SWEEEET! These levers are very stylish looking, they are light and have a great feel. They are much more like a V-brake or Canti lever compaired to the large 3 finger Magura lever. I purchased mine from kalomtb for $32. They are a great upgrade to the HS-22 Classic/Blue or Raceline Maguras.

Submitted by John Pentecost a cross-country rider from Portland, Maine

Date Reviewed: October 21, 1997

Bottom Line:

After having a pair of the Kooka Hydra levers spectacularly fail on me during a recent downhill (leaving me with that green brake fluid all over myself), I purchased a pair of these Altecs with hopes of better results. I wasn't disappointed. While a little heavier than the Kookas, you can tell at a glance that these are much built and designed with quality and longevity in mind. they are beautifully machined, and contain detailed instructions and tips in the packaging (kooka levers, on the other hand, conatain no such installation instructions, leaving the average-joe home mechanic to figure it out for themselves).
Well, I installed these babies about two weeks ago and can report nothing but great performance so far. The feel is great and they shave some major weight off the stock Magura levers. This seems to be a well designed and thoroughly though out product.

Submitted by Doug a weekend warrior from Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: March 6, 1997

Bottom Line:

I phoned altek and Credit card ordered these direct from them. They are not available in Canada yet. Aside from getting hit hard with taxes and custom brokerage charges (more than the original cost of the levers) I am happy with them. These levers are smaller and allow for a nice two finger squeeze. No problem with grip shift, and what a cool machining job.
If you order from Canada make sure it comes air overnight. Most of the charges I got hit with are covered in this courier service.

Submitted by T.W. a cross-country rider from Burlington Ma

Date Reviewed: March 4, 1997

Bottom Line:

These are Altek's replacement levers for the Magura HS22 brake set. I got tired of the stock Magura levers hitting my fingers holding the bars when I pulled the brakes with only one or two fingers (large hands), so I set out to find some small two finger replacement levers. I ordered the new Altek BL40 levers and when the came in I realized that I made the right choice. These levers are very close to the fit and feel of their V-brake levers. I would highly recommend these levers to anyone looking for a shorter Magura lever. Retail cost is about $45 but look around, I paid $35.