Yeti Cycles Kokopelli AS XC Full Suspension

4.67/5 (6 Reviews)

The Kokopelli was designed to be lightweight and agile, but with plenty of travel (3.7) for the rough stuff.

Submitted by MOO a Racer from Israel

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2010

Strengths:    45000 KM,6 years and still going strong!!! I have ridden and raced this bike with utmost pleasure since the first day I got it. I love the speed I can get out of it going up or down. I have got onto the podium with it in xc and marathon races. It accelerates like a hard tail and climbs like crazy. The build quality is great and still looks new. I cracked the chainstay but Yeti warrantied it in a very short time, great service!! LOOKS COOL IN RED!! Weighs

Weaknesses:    Compared to todays bikes this frame has a few issues. To much Flexy i rear end and can have skittish steering at times. The head angle is steep and the center of gravity a bit high. I also ride high but so what.

Bottom Line:
With proper maintenance this bike should keep on going forever
I have rebuilt the frame pivots twice and replace the swing arm bearings twice a year. I dismantle, clean all the pivots and frame hardware every 3 months This bike just keeps on going and going. I cant imagine what I am going to do if this bike ever gives up on me. Love it!!

Favorite Trail:   All

Similar Products Used:   lots tried and tested but never connected to any of them.

Bike Setup:   XTR, Fox, Hope, Dtswiss, FSA, Raceface, ChrisKing, Sram Blackspire, Thomson, Maxxis, Wtb

Submitted by Curmy a Cross Country Rider from California

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2009

Bottom Line:
Excellent cross-country design. Used it on many adventure races and it is still going strong after a recent rebuild and upgrades.

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by Anton a Weekend Warrior from Westminster, CO.

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2007

Strengths:    Solid build, negotiates tight switchbacks well, no bob. Feels like it fits like a good pair of broken in jeans.

Weaknesses:    None other than occasional squeak from dogbone link bolt, spraying it with Gearshield takes care of it for months.

Bottom Line:
This bike has been a total blast to ride. Carves tight singletrack well and bombs through the rough stuff pretty good for 3.75" inches of rear travel. Nothing has broken that was'nt caused by a crash but that could also be because of my 125 lb. weight not overstressing the components. Because of the steep head angle (71 degrees) it does get a bit unnerving when bombing down rough trails at high speed, but my recent purchase of a Yeti 575 should remedy that problem. Too bad they don't make this model anymore as it is a great ride, especially at the price it was selling for.

Favorite Trail:   White Ranch, Lower Bear

Purchased At:   Avalanche Sports, Breckenridge

Similar Products Used:   Moved up from a Specailized Rockhopper Pro hardtail.

Bike Setup:   XS frame,Manitou Black fork, Fox Float L shock, Race Face Deus crankset, Bontrager Mustang rims with Kenda Nevegal 2.1 tires and Stans kit. Avid BB-7 brakes, Answer riser carbon bar.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Raleigh

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2006

Strengths:    Does everything well. Light weight.

Weaknesses:    Paint on main triangle blistered. I had to get it stripped and powder coated.

Bottom Line:
This is more of a response to the last post concerning customer service. I have nothing but great things to say about the guys at Yeti. They have been extremely helpful with every request including crash replacement, rebuild kits, tech specs, and stickers. They have truly enhanced my Yeti ownership. I have never received anything close to the level of support from any product than what I have gotten from Yeti. Every time I've called the factory I've spoken to the people who work there...no call center in Pakistan...no IM's with customer support...no automated phone option mazes...real people.

Yeti builds solid bikes and backs them up! props to Seth, Seth and Craig. you guys rock!!

Favorite Trail:   Beaver Dam

Purchased At:   Factory

Similar Products Used:   yeti AS3.

Submitted by Jay Williams a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2005

Strengths:    The Kokopelli was a great bike for heavy riders; I was told by Yeti staff that it was created to address concerns about ASRs breaking at the toptube knuckle. It is a sublime handler, as well. I love the solid billet seattube lower pivot mount. Great stealth in battleship gray.

Weaknesses:    Yeti sucks for replacement parts. I had a difficult time sourcing a new rear shock (replaced the Float with an RP3, more on that later), and am now having the same runaround for a rear suspension rebuild kit.

Bottom Line:
When I changed the rear shock to the rp3, the bike came alive. I had no idea how much energy I was wasting in the rear, and I was delighted with the results. The suspension design is compromised compared to a true 4-bar, like a Specialized, because of brake-jack and slightly lower efficiency. However the rp3 changed my world. If Yeti can't come through with a clear definition of what parts I need for the rear end rebuild, it's going in the dumpster, and I will never buy another of their products, which is a shame. The craftsmanship and attention to detail on the bike is stellar, and it rides like a dream. I wish that they had kept the Koko in production.

Favorite Trail:   Trail 100