Yeti Cycles ASR Alloy XC Full Suspension

No longer will you needTo sacrifice speed for versatility;The ASR 5 offersTheTight, fast handling of an XC race bike withThe plushness and versatility of an all mountain rig. AtThe heart ofThe frame is an Active Suspension (AS) design, soaking upThe rough stuff andTransferring power fromThe pedalsToThe rear wheel without a loss of energy. Up frontThe mainTriangle is constructed of hydroformed aluminum, giving it a stunning appearance while adding strength and stiffness at a very low weight. Howe

Submitted by jdc8g a Cross Country Rider from Charlottesville, VA

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2011

Strengths:    Very Light, Sharp looking, Great climber, Great descender.

Weaknesses:    None...and I've had it for a while now.

Bottom Line:
This bike handles everything extremely well. The only complaint seems to be that the carbon rear triangle may be problematic. I wrapped mine with sections of inner tube and electric tape before I built it up, this minimizes the risk of damaging the CF. I ride this bike like an all mountain bike and so far: zero issues. Climbs exceptionally well, and descends with confidence. If a 195 LB rider (me) beating the tar out of this bike has no complaints, it must be doing something right.

Favorite Trail:   Lots

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Super V, Tomac Revolver

Bike Setup:   XTR drivetrain/Shifters, Manitou Minute 20mm TA fork, DT Swiss FR wheelset, and of course my Maxxis Highrollers.

Submitted by will.i.am a Cross Country Rider from Cairns,AUSTRALIA

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2010

Strengths:    Fantastic all-round bike! Great climbing machine, and superb descending capability. This is THE BEST xc duallie I have EVER ridden/raced as the geometry is PERFECT for me.

Weaknesses:    Slight laziness encountered during tight switchback climbs, due to relaxed headtube angle. However, this is well justified by its ability to carve downhills. FUN.

Bottom Line:
I'm a YETI convert.

I've finally found a bike that fits!

Favorite Trail:   Fox Creek, SA

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Jekyll (2002), Cannondale Scalpel (2003), Orbea Oiz Carbon (2007/2008/2009/2010)

Bike Setup:   KCNC bars/stem/post/cranks(42/29), Fulcrum Red Metal Zero disc wheelset, SRAM XO gripshift (2x9), SRAM XO r.d, SRAM X9 f.d, Manitou R7 MRD 100mm forks, Gobi saddle, Elixir CR brakes

Submitted by coloradoRider a Cross Country Rider from Lakewood, co

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2010

Weaknesses:    Durability

Bottom Line:
Don't buy the 2009 version of this frame. I broke the rear seat stay within 1 month of building the bike. I fell on a climb and inspected the bike after the fall. There were some scratches on the chain stay, but that was the only damage that I noticed. This was really not a hard fall as I was climbing. An hour later in the ride the seat stay cracked.

The crash replacement for the rear end is $475.00. I don't have any confidence that the new rear swing arm will last any longer that the first one given the other reviews and how easily the first one broke.

I did ask what the warranty will cover and here is the explanation that I was provided from my LBS. For example, if you fall and scratch the rear chain stay and then two months later break the seat stay on the same side, that would not be covered under warranty, it would be considered crash replacement. So basically, if you scratch the carbon you will void the warranty.

Given that this is a mountain bike, and my previous mountain bike frames have many scratches, I have decided to scrap the frame altogether and start shopping for a new mountain bike frame. I am very, very, disappointed in this purchase and the durability of this Yeti frame. I really believe Yeti was working with a new frame material and under engineered the rear swing arm given the number of reviews on this site that indicate that the rear swing arm was broken. They should have an aluminum replacement available, or a stronger carbon replacement so that people that do have an issue are less likely to experience the same problem with the $475 replacement. I would suggest that you consider a different brand of bicycle given all the excellent options in the market.

Favorite Trail:   Buffalo Creek

Purchased At:   Jenson

Submitted by beaubuttonscat a Cross Country Rider from Gold Coast, Qld, AUSTRALIA

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2010

Strengths:    Light weight, great geometry,good build quality, good xc racer and weekend social riding

Bottom Line:
A great bike. I love riding my Yeti. Great for all levels of riding. Climbs extremely well, the Fox RP23 Shock works as it should. I feel a lot more confident on this bike than I did on the Santa Cruz. The Santa Cruz had quite a low bottom bracket which was annoying. I feel confident riding my Yeti anyway. If you are after a great dually consider the Yeti, you will not be disappointed. It is not cheap but it is worth it.

Favorite Trail:   Nerang State Forrest

Similar Products Used:   Santa Crux Blur XC, Trek Fuel,

Bike Setup:   Xtr Front and Rear Derailleur, No Stans 355 Rims, American Classic Hubs, Xtr Dual Shifters, Xtr Clipless Pedals, Rock Shox Team Fork, Maxxis Crossmark Rear Tyre, Maxxis TT Larsen Front

Submitted by bennymtb a Cross Country Rider from Sydney

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2010

Strengths:    Awesome build quality, great geometry, nice finish and light.....light....light

Weaknesses:    None I've found

Bottom Line:
A great ride. I race it XC, ride it on trails and it's awesome. It climbs like a goat the Fox BV RP23 shock does a great job of platform dampening. Corners well with a low longish cockpit. Stiff frame and transfers power down great! Go get one!

Favorite Trail:   Sparrow Hill

Purchased At:   Jenson's

Bike Setup:   Thompson Elite seat post, stem 100m, XT drivetrain, Avid Juicy 7 brakes, Fox F100 RLC, Fox RP23 BV shock, Easton XC One rims converted with Stan's to tubeless running Maxxis Crossmark tyres. 11kgs all up with pedals.

Planning to Buy 2010 ASR 5 Alloy Frame

Hi all, I have been sporting a basic Trek 4900 hardtail since 2006. I have upgraded parts as they have broken, and now its only the frame that's stock. I am itching to get into a full suspension bike, but buying a full Yeti bike is outside of my budget. I found a ASR 5 Alloy frame on sale for ... Read More »

Any ASR-5 alloy frames still out there?

I know I may have missed the boat on this one, but can anyone point me to online dealers that still have ASR-5 alloy frames? Can't seem to find any. Thanks!Read More »

Getting an ASR-5 Alloy under 25lbs.

No reason to pick 25 lbs. other than the fact that it sounds absurd to have a 5" travel all-mountain bike under 25 lbs. Love it! I test rode an ASR-5 carbon yesterday. It had the full XT build right off the Yeti website and, with my Eggbeater pedals, tipped the scale at 25.04 lbs. Incredible! ... Read More »

Talk me out of an ASR-5 alloy

With the Alloy being discontinued for 2013, the supply of 2012 alloy frames is quickly dwindling. I am probably going to purchase the frame today or tomorrow and start building it up over the next few months. The ASR-5 is probably my dream bike. I've never ridden one (I may have a chance to dem ... Read More »

ASR 5 Build Carbon or Alloy ??

I'm thinking of building a ASR 5 as a long term bike. Just can't make my mind up on the frame. Carbon looks very nice and will be stiff. Alloy, the cost savings would pay for the forks. I was always happy with my 575 alloy, i'm only a casual rider, aged 52, carbon would make a really nice bi ... Read More »