Yeti Cycles AS-R Carbon XC Full Suspension

Weight : 4.25 lbs MSRP : $2292.49

The AS-R Carbon has racked up more awards than any bike in Yeti?s line. It was recently chosen Outside Magazine?s ?Gear of the Year?. It was a finalist in Bicyclings ?Editors Choice? this year and won the award outright in 2008. Why all the excitement? Part of the reason is the bike is really light, fast and super-efficient. The carbon monocoque frame and suspension have been optimized for cross-country racing and the integrated seat mast saves weight and transfers pedaling forces more efficiently than traditional seat posts. You can really feel the efficiency when you get on the gas. But that?s just the beginning; this bike is a great descender. Yeti slackened the head tube a bit to give it amazing trail manners, even on high-speed technical descents. Some in the industry scoffed for upsetting the geometry of a cross-country bike?then it started winning awards and many followed suit. The details on this bike are worth noting as well: it has titanium fasteners, a carbon dog bone linkage, integrated composite press-in bearings and a new carbon fiber swing arm that increases the rear end stiffness and makes this bike track straight and true, even on the gnarliest descents. Features: -3.89" travel -High modulus, hand laid-up carbon fiber main frame -New carbon swing arm adds stiffness without weight increase -New integrated seat-clamp allows 2? (50mm) of height adjustment -Press-in bottom bracket cups -Internal cable routing on swing arm -Titanium hardware -Carbon dog bone link -Custom sealed bearings -10mm QR 135mm or 12mm 142mm rear

Submitted by MOO a Racer

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2012

Strengths:    Geometry, Stiffness, Simple suspension design, Low maintenance, Speed up and down, Looks. It's a YETI!!

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I have had this bike for over a year now, 2012 model. I use it in XCM races, Short XC races and multiday rides. The handling is superb!! The tracking front and rear haven't let me down. The rear end stiffness is amazing; the acceleration feels like a road bike even when out of the saddle. The suspension works when its meant to and keeps the rear wheel on the ground as well as taking some of the harshness out of the rough tracks over here. This bike is a race bike and does just that!. That doesnt mean you cant ride it to work :-)

Favorite Trail:   anything

Purchased At:   Ventil Afula

Similar Products Used:   Other Yetis, tried lots.

Bike Setup:   Xtr 9sp, Rotor 3D Triple Crank( older person,like the range), Fox suspension, FSA carbon cockpit, Dtswiss-Hope wheels, Mavic Crossmark( tubless), CK headset, Enduro Ceramic BB, Blackspire SP Chainrings, Hope brakes, Not the lightest setup but very reliable!

Submitted by Drew Dog a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2012

Strengths:    Weight and Climbs like a billy goat!

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
This bike is perfect for the person who wants an all in one bike. I like to ride, ride up, ride down ride any where in Colorado front range (where the bike was conceived and honed) which this bike does but I also jump in a few long races and that is where the bike excels.
Got the 2012 AS-R Carbon and love it. Very responsive. Blazes down hill. The Carbon is very stiff. 2012 has a regular seat post allowing for a dropper seat which is very nice.

Favorite Trail:   Evergreen Mountain

Bike Setup:   Stock Enduro build with Mavic cross trail ust rims and ust tires with stans.

Submitted by itsgettingbetter a Cross Country Rider from Knoxville, TN

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2012

Strengths:    weight, weight, weight. This bike inspires confidence in twisting terrain and climbs like a scared cat. It looks freaking awesome.

Weaknesses:    I would have said the seatpost adjustment and sizing but since Yeti got rid of it...Hooray for us! Clearance could be a shade better.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. It is the best bike I have ever owned or rode. I have destroyed every personal best on every trail I have ridden. If you want to improve your average speed this is the bike to do it with. I leave the guys I ride with in my dust.

I'm looking forward to racing this bike. This bike is incredibly stiff and handles like a champ. I recommend going with a little bit less pressure in the shocks to eliminate some of the kick back especially if you are used to a heavier aluminum bike like I was. This bike is worth every penny and was a bargain compared to some of its counterparts.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali

Purchased At:   Harper's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Ibis, Giant Carbon Trance, Specialized S-works, KHS Team

Bike Setup:   XT/XTR drivetrain and brakes, Fox shocks, Easton seatpost/handlebar and BWW wheels and hubs

Submitted by onefjef a Cross Country Rider from Mill Valley, CA

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2011

Strengths:    Love how it climbs and love how it handles on down hills.

Bottom Line:
I almost got the Blur XC, but didn't like how it handled going down hill. Then I almost got the TR, but the geometry was too high for climbing. The ASR 5C is a good blend between the two Santa Cruzes. Plus, the bike looks great!

Favorite Trail:   Mt Tam

Purchased At:   Wrench Science

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Blur XC & TR

Bike Setup:   Enduro kit, 120 mm fork

Submitted by my450 a Racer from Canada

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2011

Strengths:    Outstanding as a climber. Was faster and stickier uphill on my favorite steep and technical climb than my Scott Scale. I let it stall out climbing then stood and pushed with no issue.The only bike I've ridden on this trail that would allow me to do this. Descends well

Weaknesses:    Double XX shifting rubs the inside of my thumbs. Make sure you measure FOUR times to get the right seat height! The seat clamp/mast was darn heavy(had mine machined out)

Bottom Line:
Feels as stable as my Mojo which I love and is quicker than my Scale. I'm noticing a lot of rear suspension movement on small, fast bumps. It will be interesting to see how it holds up over the season. I'm 154 lbs and an ex-moto guy that also rides trials motorcycles now. Very highly recommended. Seems to work well at both climbing and fast roller stuff which is normally not possible.The jury is still out on the XX shifting for me in regards to thumbs vs brake lever and chainline in the lowest gear. I'll update as the snow melts!

Favorite Trail:   Out my back door

Purchased At:   Calgary Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Ibis Mojo SL-XTR, Scott Scale-XTR, Intense Spider, Trek Fuel

Bike Setup:   XX, SID world cup with remote. Racing Ralphs. Stans Podium wheels. SLR C64. With TI eggbeaters and a cage it weighs 19.90 ready to ride in a large

Submitted by theespressoguy a Cross Country Rider from Sydney, NSW, Asutralia

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2010

Strengths:    Fast, stiff, light.
Climbs like mountain goat, The bike seems to propel you forward the harder you climb?
It also descends like a lunatic due to the 69° head tube which makes it very stable on descents.

Weaknesses:    None with the bike or it's performance.
Very poor build from the store I purchased it from though.

Bottom Line:
This bike is the new jewel in my collection. It is super stiff and climbs like a mountain goat. It is an excellent XC bike that makes all mountain riding an absolute pleasure.
I started racing in 1993 and have tried many different bikes and this is the best bike I have ever ridden. Yeti, i would just like to say "Thank You".

Favorite Trail:   Andersons - Oaks, Blue Mountains

Purchased At:   Retail Store

Similar Products Used:   Merlin Tiaga Titanium
Marin Team Issue
AMP B5

Bike Setup:   SRAM XO, DT Swiss 1450 Wheels, 2011 XTR Race Brakes with Ice Tech Rotors, Full Titanium Bolts.

Submitted by yoroshikune a Weekend Warrior from KL Malaysia

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2010

Strengths:    Looks
Stiff
Light

Weaknesses:    Expose FD cable that runs under the frame
Press fit BB bearing

Bottom Line:
A very sweet looking bike. Climbs like a mountain goat like some have commented. Stiff and light as well. Being my 1st carbon bike and all, what else is there to say. Just can't wait to hit the trails again with this modern age monster.

Favorite Trail:   Kiara, FRIM

Purchased At:   Bike Pro Center

Similar Products Used:   Fastrax, Giant NRS XTC Team 2003

Bike Setup:   Dyna Sys XT gset. CK head set, Mavic SL UST rims 2007

Submitted by Russell G. a Racer from Louisville, KY, USA

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2010

Strengths:    lots of stand over making leaning and tight trails more fun. Fast, stiff, light. The integrated seat tube and pressed bb are huge advantages when putting the hammer down. Yeti green is a head turner and the graphics are bold but not gawdy. suspension wants to propel you forward and the slack head tube makes it very stable on descents.

Weaknesses:    If you have the version 3 seat clamp you best call yeti and tell them you want the version 4. The version 3 will most likely cause the seat tube to crack. the new version is much better looking too.

Bottom Line:
laterally stiff vertically compliant.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Duffield

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Cycler's Cafe

Similar Products Used:   Blurs Kona hei hei, Litespeeds. superlights K2's

Bike Setup:   Fox RLC/ Formula Uro Puro, Yeti custom SDG tifly saddle. DT wheels XTRcranks etc...

Submitted by kelroy a Cross Country Rider from Atlantic Beach, Fl, USA

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2009

Strengths:    Light, stiff, efficient, rare and lustworthy

Weaknesses:    Not as compliant as my Intense Spyder

Bottom Line:
I'm 6'1 190 and this is the best bike I have owned, I loved my Spyder and Id but this Yeti is lighter and feels more efficient (hard to believe for me). It's not as compliant on the small stuff (small roots and rocks) and lowering the air pressure does help but makes it sag to much. It climbs like a goat and handles medium + bumps as good as the others with virtually no flex at all. It handles great and draws a crowd wherever I go. Love the finish quality and how unique it is. Highly recommend this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Markham Park

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   Intense Spyder VPP, Ellsworth ID, Schwinn FS, Trek Y, Litespeed HT,

Bike Setup:   09 Carbon, 09 XTR Build

Submitted by crosscntrynut a Racer from sellersburg in

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2009

Strengths:    this bike is amazing it climbs better than a hardtail, i know, but its true

Weaknesses:    a little scared of the seat post

Bottom Line:
had a bad expirence with the first frame but yeti stuck by me and made it right. And I can say after riding with my race buddy today I blew his doors off, this bike is sick this was my first ride and after the first mile I was leaning this thing almost horizontal in the turns and when the tires did slip it was a very controlled two wheel drift any body want to buy a scott scale frame

Favorite Trail:   brown county in

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   cyclers cafe

Similar Products Used:   scott scale xt fox 100rlc fork

Bike Setup:   small frame ,fox 100rlc , xt drive train, carbon bars, crossmax sl wheelset, continental mountain king supersonic 2.2 f@r,

Submitted by hellfish34 a Cross Country Rider from Toronto

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2009

Strengths:    FAST. This bike wants to go. I traded in my Ibis Mojo because it is a 5 inch travel bike and i have gotten into racing a bit more. I thought my mojo was a great bike. The Yeti blows the doors off it. Super stiff. Even though it is a short travel bike, i ride it the same as my old bike.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
If you are thinking of getting this bike...don't think. BUY!

Bike Setup:   RaceFace Next SL cranks, bars, XO,Ultimates, I9 ultralight wheels. 23.02lbs

Submitted by brentos a Racer from Ogden, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2009

Strengths:    -Fast.
-Light.
-Stiff front triangle.
-Fast.
-Versatile geometry.
-Looks.
-Fast.

Weaknesses:    -Claim of clearance for 2.35" tire a little optimistic

Bottom Line:
Fast. I broke every personal best time I have on local climbs in the first weeks I owned this bike.

Did I mention fast? I've never ridden a bike that's so happy to be ridden in the big ring, just keep pedaling through that rock garden, it'll sort it out, and never require a downshift because of loss of speed. The bike climbs amazingly well, and doesn't seem to want to lift the front wheel, when the trail turns down, the bike feels stable, yet flickable. A VERY fun bike going up and down.

Yeti's claim that it will fit a 2.35" tire is a bit optimistic as my 2.25" Schwalbes sometimes rub the stays, I've never heard or felt them rub, but there are witness marks show they do occasionally. I've put tape on the stays to make sure they're protected. The rear brake rubs occasionally, even when set up perfectly centered, XTR brakes don't seem to retract the pads very far.

The more I ride this bike, the more amazed I am by it. It goes like stink and has amazing handling. Other bikes I've ridden may be equally or more versatile, but none seem to be as fast.

Yeti's made a rediculously good bike at a very fair price. 5 Chilis! I'd give it 10 if I could.

Favorite Trail:   North Skyline (Ben Lomond)

Purchased At:   Biker's Edge

Similar Products Used:   -Titus Racer X
-Santa Cruz Blur XC

Bike Setup:   Medium, Stock XTR build, except.
-2.25" Schwalbe Nobby Nic Snake Skin Front, set up tubeless
-2.25" Schwalbe Racing Ralph Snake Skin Rear, set up tubeless
-Ritchey WCS Pro pedals
-23.1 lb
-For me, the best performance is found using ProPedal position 1, 25% sag.

Stock build, w/ Maxxis CrossMark LUST tires was 23.25 lb. w/out pedals.

Submitted by ssmak a Cross Country Rider from colorado

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2008

Strengths:    all

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:

The reviews I read were true. Climbs and corners exceptionally well, but have been suprisingly amazed at how well it decends! Test rode the Fisher Hi-Fi Pro Carbon and definetly prefer the Yeti. Might be other bikes that are on a par, but it's hard to imagine anything better.

Favorite Trail:   colorado trail/walker ranch

Similar Products Used:   yeti as-r/ gt i-drive/zaskar

Bike Setup:   xtr/sram mix

Submitted by promtber a Racer from East Coast

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2008

Strengths:    All round the best bike you can get. Climbing is made easy and descending is super fast on it. My favorite riding on this is switch back climbing.

Weaknesses:    None in performance. Just hard to get one with the waiting list.

Bottom Line:
This bike is the fastest out of every bike I have tried. It is super stiff making it climb like a mountain goat. This is for sure a super fast XC race bike that can take some big hits due to the 4in rear suspension. I have been racing for a very long time and have tried every bike out there to date and this is far the best bike I have ever ridden. Yeti has made a champion.

Favorite Trail:   All

Similar Products Used:   I tried every things and nothing compares to this. Next closest is the Yeti ASR-Sl

Bike Setup:   Full XTR

Submitted by mtn kitten a Racer from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2008

Strengths:    Carbon is STIFF!!! Climbs like a mountain goat on steroids! Don't feel any seatpost flex whatsoever. Accelerates without wasting any energy. Corners like it is on rails. Descends like it was a downhill bike in it's former life! Overall, very solid, stable, and stiff racing machine.

Weaknesses:    Carbon dings, scratches, and gouges easily if you crash. Basically, don't ride it too much outside of the race course if you want it to stay pretty. The seatmast is a one-time cut- better get it right!

Bottom Line:
This is one SWEET bike! It is built for racing, period. In the words of one of my teammates, "this bike is any unfair advantage!" Yep, unfair for your competitors! The light weight and stiff carbon combine to essentially propel the bike uphill. Even though I only weigh 120 lbs. I can notice the lack of lateral flex, and the difference and ease of climbing aboard the ASR-C versus my other aluminum frame xc bike. Because of the stiffness, I run my shock and fork about 10-15 psi less, otherwise it bucks like a mad bull on the descents. The 69-degree head angle offers a more solid feel on the downhill, especially rock gardens, than does the traditional steep 71 or 72 degree head angle of an xc bike. Overall, this bike is worth its weight in gold (or podium appearances)!

Purchased At:   pro deal