Yeti Cycles AS-R 5 Alloy XC Full Suspension

4.39/5 (18 Reviews)

The classic cross-country platform has been muddled over the years, influenced by ever-tweaking racers who demand reduced weight over anything, and almost forgotten about due to 'epic' all-mountain flavored marketing. Thankfully Yeti expresses its dedication to one of the most enjoyable and rewarding sects of off-road riding by offering the ASR-5 with Fox Float CTD.No, it's not a race bike; that's left to the ASR Carbon, it's the bike designed to get around your favorite trails reliably, efficiently, and most importantly -- with enthusiasm. Added to your stable, the 127mm travel AS-R 5 will be a relentlessly happy, tail-wagging companion. It's designed to run forks in the 120 - 140mm range -- depending on the handling characteristics you wish to favor.In the 120mm range, you'll experience a bike that's planted in the turns and grounded on climbs. With a longer fork, the descents become less dicey, but the front end will wander when gaining elevation. For the best of both worlds, we'd equip the AS-R 5 with a travel-adjustable fork.Stiff and lightweight, the alloy front triangle sports a tapered headtube to provide a solid platform for the suspension to work. The low-slung top tube allows plenty of standover clearance, and acts as a sturdy attachment point for the Fox Float CTD shock with the simple-to-use Climb, Trail, Descend damping system.For the rear triangle, Yeti employs carbon fiber. The whole unit is molded as one piece with massive chainstays -- defining its lightweight and flex-free behavior. The dropouts feature Yeti's Chips System, so the rear spacing can be changed to run either 135mm or 142mm. All of the suspension pivots house sealed cartridge bearings for a smooth ride and titanium pivot hardware is used to shave weight.The AS-R 5 comes with cable guides for a dropper post, and fits 30.9mm diameter seatposts. It requires a 34.9mm traditional bottom-pull front derailleur and uses a standard 73mm BB shell. Yeti covers the AS-R 5 with a five year warranty.The Yeti AS-R 5 with Fox Float CTD is available in five sizes from X-Small to X-Large and comes in Black Ano, Turquoise, Lime, Cayenne, Slate Ano, Blue, and White.US Yeti dealers are prohibited from shipping Yeti bicycles outside of the US.

Submitted by lschen1216

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2013

Strengths:    Light, ride like a F1 bike, stiff, very esay to climb, and stable enough to descend

Weaknesses:    better to rap some tapes on rear triangle in order to protect carbon, standover is little high for me in small size (I'm 170 with 76 inseam)

Bottom Line:
It's my first fs bike, really appreciate with this bike, I use Rockshox revelation 150-120 adjustable fork and it goes with ASR-5 very well. some people think it's not plush as 575 but, come on! it's ASR-5! born to ride like F1!

Submitted by max_lombardy

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2012

Strengths:    Looks, weight, stiffness. It's a YETI!

Weaknesses:    I don't have 2.

Bottom Line:
I bought and built up this new frame after riding a used ASR-SL for one season. I loved the bike, and it was my 1st FS bike, so a bit of an experiment. I was HOOKED! I just wanted to ride it more and more, and I couldn't stop ogling the newest ASR 5s. Well, I finally broke down and got one when I saw the frame at competitive cyclist for $1.099. Couldn't resist. SOO glad I did. This bike is everything I hoped it would be, and it makes me want to blow off everything every day to go and ride. Definitely the coolest, funnest, nicest bike I've ever owned, or ridden, for that matter.

Bike Setup:   Fox Float 130mm Thru axle
King wheels
XT trail brakes
XX/XO 2X10 drivetrain
EC70 bars
Thomson stem/seatpost

Submitted by Zach

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2012

Strengths:    Confident inspiring in every way. Suspension, turning, climbing. I can't find a fault with the design of this bike. MSRP is industry norm or slightly better. If you can get a closeout you will not be able to do better.

Weaknesses:    1. Stock WTB seat didn't agree with me. Swapped for Bontrager Evoke.
2. Size chart on the website seems a little off. I'd size up. I'm 6'2" with a 35" inseam and the chart says I should be on a large. Just seemed too small, and a setback seatpost shifted my weight too far back so balance point was off. Ended up going with an XL with the seat moved forward and a 90mm stem (vs. 70mm stock).

Bottom Line:
- I can't say enough about this bike. I love it. Rode Trek EX-8 and 9, Specialized Stumpjumper 26+29, Specialized Epic, and a $6K Ibis. The only one that came close was the Ibis, and if I'm honest it's a slightly nicer bike, but I'm not a fan of the styling and it's not $2K better.
- Race build comes with full XT, high-end Fox fork and shock, Thompson components, and carbon bars. Took a couple rides to dial in the suspension in terms of sag and finding the PSI sweet spot. Even while dialing in the handing was spot on. Now the bike feels like an extension of my body. XL Race build is 27 pounds on the button.

Submitted by ryansod a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2012

Strengths:    The bike is great climbs like a XC race rig and descends like it has more then 5' or travel. Amazing suspension setup for the price and the build quality is top notch. The kit offering from Yeti are diverse ranging from the budget minded enduro kit to full XTR.

Weaknesses:    The enduro kit is lack luster (its is the cheapest). I know it’s not a fault of the "bike" but it make the experiences just a little less.....Fun. The wheels are not bad, stiff but crazy heavy for this style bike and they don't utilize the 12mm dropout. The stem and handlebar setup are also heavy and that I'm ok with at this price point but they are flexy. The brakes are so/so but I have had to bleed them twice so far. The drive train is fine. It should be said that this was my first SRAM drivetrain and it will be my last.

Bottom Line:
I've have had my ASR5 for almost 4 months now and I'm absolutely loving the bike. It’s scary how much confidence this bike can give you. It has a much stiffer mid stroke to the rear suspension allowing you to carve turns and hit things that you probably shouldn't on a 5" bike.

All these things are minor wheel are just heavy and replacing the stem and handlebars is cheap. The core bike is amazing the fork is top notch and the rear setup is solid. Just add a dropper seatpost on this baby and shred.

Submitted by Yamsman a Racer from California

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2011

Strengths:    Nice, sturdy downhiller but light enough to climb back up. Awesome feel and stable around corners and over most rough terrain.

Weaknesses:    Difficult to put on trailer hitch racks (yakima and thule). Even with pro pedal on (RP23) there is quite a bit of pedal bob.

Bottom Line:
Great overall bike but there are of course some minor issues.

Favorite Trail:   Downieville

Purchased At:   Big Swinging Cycles

Bike Setup:   XTR racing

Submitted by FlYeti5 a Cross Country Rider from Orlando, FL USA

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2011

Strengths:    Super fast, great climber, beautiful frame, rock solid steering, the list goes on

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
After riding for 4 years I decided it's time to save up and get a dream bike. After lots of research and questions I decided on the Yeti Asr 5. This is a really fast bike its almost like it wants you to just keep going faster and faster. The suspension eats up large roots and rock gardens easily and Is rock solid under pedaling. This bike is really expensive but you do get what you pay for; the frame is an absolute beauty. I chose the blue with the white rear carbon triangle and it's looks awesome. I'm really happy with the paint finish. Overall, if you want a super sweet and fast bike get this one it's absolutely worth it.

Favorite Trail:   Soilders Creek

Purchased At:   Bicycle Outfitters,

Similar Products Used:   Giant Trance

Bike Setup:   Enduro kit

Submitted by gtg252b a Cross Country Rider from Roswell, GA

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2011

Strengths:    Amazing descender, great suspension, very light for 5" of travel, looks great, handles great. This thing is a rocket on wheels.

Weaknesses:    This is minor, but if I'm in the small ring on the front for a climb and I hit a bump that's big enough to compress the rear end, the chain will rub on the chain stays.

Bottom Line:
I've had this bike for a little over a month now and I've logged right at 150 miles on it. I am absolutely loving it so far. It climbs just as well as my old 3" travel bike did, but it descends much better. It's very stable in the descents, with the 5" of travel soaking up the bumps, but it's still light and agile enough to flick around the corners. I really can't speak highly enough of this bike. It is a blast to ride. It's a bit pricey, but you definitely get what you pay for here.

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel

Bike Setup:   The standard race build: 140mm Fox fork, full XT, DT Swiss wheels with the through axle, 2012 Fox RP23 shock (with "Adaptive Logic")

Submitted by Lhotse a Weekend Warrior from Fort Collins, CO

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2011

Strengths:    Climbing ability. Nimble. Lightweight. Excellent geometry. Great on descents.

Weaknesses:    None so far but heard bad things about the carbon rear triangle.

Bottom Line:
I sold my 575 and built up an ASR 5 wanting a better climbing and better endurance rig. So far so good. Climbs remarkably better and feels very nimble and light on the trail. Not as plush on the downs as the 575 but still rails even set up with the 120 fork. I have ridden the bike with a 140 as well which makes it even better on the downs. Overall, loving it so far. Built up the bike on a budget and feel the build is pretty good. Yeti produces quality bikes period.!

Favorite Trail:   Maxwell

Purchased At:   N/A

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper, Trek Fuel Ex6, Yeti 575.

Bike Setup:   Fox F-120, Fox RP23, X-9 shifters/derailleurs, SLX brakes, XT crank, DT swiss X1600 wheelset

Submitted by Stratton001 a Cross Country Rider from Nashville, TN

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2011

Strengths:    Everything. Light, nimble, plush, fast, excellent climber, has made me alot better rider, comfortable on all day rides, love the geometry and looks awesome! Got the white with turq.

Weaknesses:    None than I can think of.

Bottom Line:
Love this bike! It skips through the trails and climbs like a goat! Have done all day rides and still feels comfortable on the way back to the truck. Love the XT components. Havent had any issues with the real carbon triangle. Get out and get one if your considering!

Favorite Trail:   Anything with dirt

Purchased At:   Murfreesboro Outdoor

Similar Products Used:   GF Hi-Fi Deluxe, Santa Cruz Blur,

Bike Setup:   All XT brakes, shifters, derails. Chris Kings headset/rims with Stans Crest, Schwalbe Racing Ralphs, Easton carbon handlebar, Thompsons Elite seatpost/stem, Fox RL 120 QR

Submitted by excali311 a Weekend Warrior from Nashville, TN

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2011

Strengths:    geometry is perfect, well spec'd, black ano. finish looks amazing, hits corners well, easy to set up and just ride, pretty good value considering the technology they've built in (12mm rear, tapered head tube, carbon rear)

Weaknesses:    carbon rear might take some abuse from rocks, etc. over time; also, it's still pretty expensive.

Bottom Line:
I was really paranoid about making the wrong decision buying my first full suspension rig (and dropping $3000+ on it), so I did a lot of testing and a lot of internet *research*. I finally settled on getting either a Pivot Mach 5.7 or a Yeti ASR5. On both the Pivot and Yeti bikes, I tried everything to feel some brake jack, or pedal bob, or kick back, you name a suspension design buzz word and I tried to find it. I just didn't see it on either. Ultimately, the Yeti was just more comfortable (geometry is killer) and I knew I could get it at a shop I trust.

My ASR5 feels great climbing and eats up roots and rocks on the flats. As it's my first FS bike, I don't even know what to do with myself on downhills. It makes everything more fun. A lot of reviews, and even Yeti themselves to a degree, talk about this bike like only someone who has mastered the trail will truly enjoy it. Totally. False. I'm probably on the high side of mediocre and it's teaching me to ride things in a different way and to challenge myself. You don't have to go fast to love this bike.

For any FS bike, it's not like the companies are just throwing a shock on the back of the bike and calling it a day. There's a lot of research there - and you pay for it. The ASR design is very well thought out and it works. Just like DW Link, Full Floater and Maestro. Test rides are the only way to know what you're getting into, and the Yeti ASR5 delivered there for me.

Favorite Trail:   All of Tanasi

Purchased At:   Murfreesboro Outdoor

Similar Products Used:   Tested: Trek Fuel EX8, GF Rumblefish, Pivot Mach 5.7

Bike Setup:   X9 2x10 group. everything else is stock Enduro package

Submitted by philipwright0 a Cross Country Rider from Washington, DC, USA

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2011

Strengths:    Geometry, components that have lasted

Weaknesses:    The original shimano brakes

Bottom Line:
This bike fits me like a glove (5-10 on medium) and with its very relaxed head tube, for someone coming off more XC orientate bikes, really makes the downs much more enjoyable, and the cornering much faster. I'm fairly light at 145lbs with gear and camblebak, so I seem to be running very low air pressures front and rear even after following initial set-up instructions. This way it feels very plush and I run it without pro-pedal all the time off road and switch on the pro-pedal only on tarmac. I don't really feel the stiffness in the first part of the shock travel which Yeti talk about, but I also don't notice it wallowing, and can accelerate pretty quickly in tight technical sections without any bobbing or delay. Fast rocky descents with lots of small hits are smooth and controlled, but definitely require at least a little finesse in picking lines. I'm not able to completely steamroll everything. Perhaps the 575 does this.

The single pivot design could be a compromise for weight and reduced maintenance, but I don't think it's outdated technology at this point because the bike still rides so smoothly and feels pretty efficient. Small bump compliance is buttery smooth and a real plus on the comfort of my rear end when pedaling through minor obstacles. I tend to keep my wheels on the ground except for the occasional drops up to 24" and minor jumps, so can't comment on the suspension and bike reaction to big hit riding.

On the up-hills I never seem to have a problem in getting traction and rolling up over steps and ledges. The front end is just low enough to avoid having to use an adjustable travel fork, and I'll happily climb for an hour up steep technical trail without unnecessarily getting into uncomfortably bent over positions.

I think my whole set-up comes in at 28 or 29lbs. Not being too concerned about the weight and more about the durability of components, I don't see myself changing many of the components. I like to ride all day and do a couple of 100 mile races a year with an emphasis on trying to have fun. Short fast XC stuff isn't on my list of things to do. So in this respect the 5 inches of travel are perfect in reducing fatigue, adding to control at the end of an exhausting ride, and making the rocky stuff much more enjoyable.

I up-graded the wheels directly from Yeti at the time of purchase and they've been great. Very light and I've not had to true them once so far. Only wish they'd been setup for tubeless which is on my list of things to do. Don't yet have the rear thru-axel, but am contemplating this up-grade. Fork thru-axel was a revelation compared to my old talas with QR. Perhaps there is also some influence with the tapered head tube that creates this better front end feel.

Have read about the rear triangle problem. I'm keeping an eye on this, but after a year of riding I'm hoping this triangle doesn't have a defect. The carbon looks fairly exposed down there when riding through high rocks and I've always got this in the back of my mind. I covered the chain and seat stays in racer tape to avoid silly abrasions if lying the bike down. I also wrapped an inner tube around the drive side chain stay. Guess that added a bunch of weight, but now I know I'm not getting any chain slap damage.

The original Shimano brakes were really terrible. Liked the white finish on the formula RX brakes, so got them and they've allowed me to ride even better. The 180 front rotor should have come with the bike. Overall though, the original Enduro components (SRAM X9, X7 and Stylo parts) have held up very well and I've been pleasantly surprised with the SRAM stuff after having only used Shimano since 1990. By replacing the chain 4 times I've been able to keep the original cassette and chainrings going. Bottom bracket died within 6 months, but I've not found an external BB that has lasted much longer. The fully housed cables are great and I've not had to touch them in spite of muddy and wet rides. Handlebars are nice and wide and the extra two inches over my last bars definitely add more control. Headset bearing sound like they are going. Perhaps I should have cleaned them once or twice or spent the extra for the CK.

Added a dropper post with handlebar switch because the bike was taking me faster down the sketchy stuff. The cable clamps for this are definitely an enhancement on the frame. Frame clearance is great with the dropped top tube.

I have the black painted frame. No problems with the paint so far and don't have any chips except for where I swiped my cleat across the top tube in an unexpected dismount.

Overall, a great experience with this bike even after having to replace the carbon main triangle with the alu one after crashing (see postscript below). Would definitely recommend it to those loving their long, long rides and who enjoy the challenge of the ups as well as the downs. 4 chilies for value because the Enduro version of the bike was compromised by the terrible brakes and it should come with the rear thru axel as standard.

As a postscript:

I initially had the carbon frame but crashed and damaged it. So got the alloy frame under the crash replacement policy. Cost above is not representative of this, but is essentially the cost of alu frame with wheel up-grade. Decided on alloy to avoid more rock damage and future dents in my wallet.

Difference in ride between the carbon and alu frames is noticeable on the ups and flat. The carbon definitely felt faster and accelerated quicker. There was something snappier about it; perhaps the lighter weight, or stiffer bottom bracket area, or maybe I just felt cool and fast riding an all carbon bike. Didn't feel any difference in the down hills or any special vibration damping. If you want to go faster, the carbon will get you there before the alu. Or, as I've persuaded myself, I could train a bit more during the winter to make those few second differences go away.

Favorite Trail:   George Washington National Forest, VA

Purchased At:   City Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Proflex, Kona, Rocky Mountain

Bike Setup:   Enduro components - with DT XR400 wheels, KSi900 dropper post, formula RX brakes 160/180

Submitted by MTB ABQ a Weekend Warrior from ABQ, NM- USA

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2011

Strengths:    Light on its feet @ #28-29, great jumper, responsive carver, stellar climber, accelerates like a champ, the right choice for those long, long rides.

Weaknesses:    Enduro kit Shimano M575brakes = not good, not good at all.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding my beloved ASR5 for 8 months/1100mi now. Recently have 3 afternoons in Moab on the 5, and can say I continue to be thankful for it's climbing ability and light-footed responsiveness, as all 3 days subjected me to mucho climbing. As for the downs, Amasa Back proved the biggest test for the suspension, as you are constantly hopping off ledges of all sizes from 6" to 24". Beyond 24"? What are you kidding me? I'm not Batman ya know.

The 5's suspension has performed beyond expectation for the 3 day beatdown. The 575 might be the no-brainer amidst all the rockiness and ledginess around Moab, but for one incontrovertible fact: you still have to mash to the top to earn your downs. Rest assured the 5 remains capable in the rough, even where Yeti offers bigger travel in the 575.

This bike loves to fly. You can feel it on any berm or bump, just give it a lift or pump and you'll catch a bit of air. Pre-load your suspension as you hit, lift and you'll catch BIG air. It has increased my jumping ability 100%. The ASR5 remains very reliable, no shop work to date except work on my 2 Hayes Stroker brakes that I transferred over. I did wrap the chainside swing arm with framewrap, having noticed some chips in the carbon from chainslap. No other issues with the back triangle @ 1100miles. Last, compared to my last xcountry/am hybrid, on my home trails my speed has improved 1.5mph avg, 3-5mph top speed = schweet!

Favorite Trail:   Surveyor's Ridge, Slickrock

Similar Products Used:   my first boutique bike. Tested the 5 against the 575 during purchase- http://dryfliesfattires.blogspot.com/search/label/YETI

Bike Setup:   Enduro kit with Hayes Stroker Trails 180/160.

Submitted by rbeach14 a Cross Country Rider from Clarksville

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2011

Strengths:    Nothing

Weaknesses:    The rear triangle is junk. My swing arm has broke three times within 6 months.

Bottom Line:
This bike is junk. The company knows it is junk yet but are unwilling to do anything about it. Hope this review saves people from making the same mistake I did. Do not buy this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Raccoon Mount.

Purchased At:   Peachtree Bike