Whyte Designs E5 XT XC Full Suspension

100% left to right symmetry for prefect, predictable handling. Carbon Cover plates are used to seal the links and prevent ingress of water and mud, prolonging life and ensuring smooth operation. Bottle cage positioned on top of Swing Arm in the ideal ergonomic position for racers. Big Gripper Dropouts used on the Swing Arm have increased stiffness for improved handling and provide repeatable location for rub-free disc operation. Patented “Getta Grip” seat clamp is sealed against the elements and uses a lower clamping force than a standard Q/R - ideal for a carbon post.

Submitted by Emlyn Shepherd a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2013

Strengths:    Light weight, fun, responsive, well equipped

Weaknesses:    Trying to reach the pro pedal or the valve or rubber O ring

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike second hand as a replacement to my seldom used Kona Stab Supreme. My first ride wasn't as I expected from a frame that gets used by Marin but this was rectified when I got it home and on the stand.

I didn't replace anything but it did take me a while to tune it to my needs. I probably could have done it quicker if I didn't need child size hands to get to the rear shock but once I had set that up, it was time to go out again and give it a go and I must admit, the bike impressed me.

It was so responsive on my local trail that it made me forget all about my Kona. I didn't get round it as fast as I do on my full carbon bike but it was still immensely fun and smooth.

I love my Whyte so much, that I'm now getting rid of all my bikes to fund a newer version.

Favorite Trail:   Cannock Chase Monkey Trail

Purchased At:   Local idiot shop

Similar Products Used:   Giant NRS carbon custom build (9kgs)
GT iDrive Custom
Kona Stab Supreme custom

Bike Setup:   100psi up front and 80psi at the rear. XT groupset swapped for SRAM XO groupset (will be swapping back soon). Everything else is standard

Submitted by Daniel Walmsley a Weekend Warrior from Windsor

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2007

Strengths:    Good climber, very quick singletrack bike. I like the Big Gripper as it locates the wheel without disc-rub every time, but it can be fiddly. Swingarm bearings are still rock solid. Rear suspension tracks very well. Gets a bit 'pingy' at speed over technical stuff.

Weaknesses:    The worst chain-suck you have ever seen!! (Sorted with stainless inner ring). Bottom bracket failed but was refunded under warranty. Maveric front hub bearings failed in winter because they are pants. Bought s/s bearings for £18. Headset bearings have gone and so have Hope rear wheel bearings. Not good in less than a year. Maverick forks twist violently to left when front brake is applied, I don't remember it doing this when I bought it. Very worrying. Got rid of the Hope brakes as I was dissapointed with the squeal, spongy levers and rapid changing of pads for XTR dual control.

Bottom Line:
I love my bike, it makes me happy when I ride it and I think at the end of the day thats what counts. I am dissapointed with Hope hubs/brakes, Maverick hub and the Cane Creek S2 headset. However, I think that I will be keeping the frame for a long time to come. I will just keep updating parts as and when I can afford it. I would still buy one even after the niggles i've had.

Favorite Trail:   The North Face, Grizedale

Purchased At:   Mountain High, Pangbourne

Similar Products Used:   See my other review

Submitted by Vmg a Weekend Warrior from Scotland

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2007

Strengths:    Light bike with enough travel to compensate for my lack of trail skills.

Weaknesses:    Possibly forks...at the LBS just now with oil leaking out the air schrader valve.

Bottom Line:
Nice light bike which suits my all day XC or man made trail rides. Good solid kit which has survived hard Scottish riding every week and a MTB trip to Spain. No problems with seatpost slipping (bike was late 2006 model).

Perhaps a wee too much bob on the firm ProPedal setting for my lardy 6ft2 190 kilos but will probably have shock PUSHed when due a service.

Favorite Trail:   Any 7 Stanes

Similar Products Used:   Good enough to tempt me away from my 18 years of Cannondale loyalty.

Bike Setup:   Stock except rear tyre swapped for a Fire XC Pro

Submitted by David from Ross on Wye

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight, excellent mud clearance, shock protection and big gripper dropouts. Maverick Forks

Weaknesses:    The seat post slips no matter how hard you tighten the clamp, the propedal switch is hard to get.

Bottom Line:
I use the bike mainly for all day cross country riding, with short evening blasts in Forest and rarely man made trails.

Fantastic Bike that inspires confidence, the Maverick Forks took a while to bed in and set up for me but well worth it. The seat post slipping is more annoying than serious.

Similar Products Used:   Marin Rift Zone (Quad)

Bike Setup:   Swapped the saddle for a SDG Bel Air and the seat post for a Maverick Speedball RL, I leave the crud catcher bracket on and it stops the post from slipping!

Submitted by Daniel Walmsley a Cross Country Rider from Windsor, Berkshire, England

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2006

Strengths:    Very light frame & build, high quality componetry, responsive, efficient, quick and well built. SC32 forks are the nuts, they are rock solid, have a v.fast quick release dropout, easy to service and tune, light and plush, lockdown is also really helpfull on the steeper climbs as the whyte tends to lift at the front a touch. Big Gripper dropouts, seatpost binder and carbon covers/mud caps are excellent details which are invaluable in the UK climate.

Weaknesses:    Shiiite tyres. Change the Conti's for Panaracer XC Fire Pro's or something with bite!!! Having a bike this quick means that it's all down to you to prove you deserve it!!

Bottom Line:
I also had problems with the seatpost slipping down.....so I tightened the binder up! I also had problems with the shifting because some muppet at Whyte couldn't install a gear inner without kinking it, probably the same muppet who didn't tighten up the nuts on my main pivots as well. I have changed the seat, stem and bars for comfort and tyres so I could stay in a vertical position a bit more. That said I see these things as personal preferences and not flaws. A bike Manufacturer can't cater for everyone. The components are tough and reliable, brakes are a little under-powered for 85kg+ so upgrade in the shop to get a good deal instead of after-market buying. Very happy so far. Full marks due to design, details, finish and performance.

Favorite Trail:   Afan Argoed

Purchased At:   Montain High, Pangbourne

Similar Products Used:   Scott MC10, Spesh S-works Enduro, Trek Fuel 100, Dale Rush, Yeti ASR & 575, etc

Bike Setup:   XT throughout, Hope mini mono's, maverick sc 32's, hope/maverick hubs.

Submitted by david lindley a Cross Country Rider from united kingdom

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2006

Strengths:    A really good singletrack bike, flies off the line and climbs like hell, the pro pedal even works. This bike would suit a xc racer or trail rider, it has plenty of travel to cope with 3 or 4 footers too. it feels well planted on the trails a really good ride

Weaknesses:    the bike has a new design to keep the seat post clamped and its not working and ive had three new clamps on. Make sure when you buy your bike that you check to see if you can turn the seat when its clamped up. Mine drops about an inch every ten miles which is no good. I think its a bad design. also the cable that operates the rear mech runs under the carbon swing arm and is prone to gettin the muck and dirt in, so make sure the bike shop puts sealed cables on before you take it home. your spending £2800 quid so you deserve the best. Its also a pig tryin to get into the shock to adjust the pro pedal and to retrieve the rubber
o-ring to check the sag.

Bottom Line:
overall this bike is great the reason im giving it three out of five is because of the nagging problems and the customer service from whyte, !v/poor! I think the new seat clamp design is no good and muck and dirt still goes down the gap at the front of the seat post. make sure the bike has sealed gear cables too.

Favorite Trail:   glentress

Purchased At:   je james cycles

Bike Setup:   basically standard xt crank,xt rear mech, xt front mech, easton ea70 carbon seat post easton ea50 stem easton monkeylite cnt carbon riser bars, xt shifters, hope mono mini brakes, mavic x717 rims continental vapor pro tyres