Weyless 2004 SP Pro XC Full Suspension

4.5/5 (12 Reviews)
MSRP : $1999.00

Submitted by Nathan Rokusek a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2014

Strengths:    -Durable frame
-Relatively cheap for how well it handles
-Heavy enough to feel bullet proof, but light enough to fly through turns
-Climbs hill relatively easy
-Looks awesome even though it is now 10 years old

Weaknesses:    -Brakes wear out quick
-Cheap components
-Rear shock absorber could be better

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike recently for $350.00 from my neighbor. It is in fabulous condition although it is ten years old. The bike feels unbreakable (until you use the shifters.) It handles surprisingly well, even though it is a little bulky (a good bulky.) My only real complaint is about the components. Ever since I had the bike, the chain would never go into the bottom 3 gears and the top 2, which is really weird. I know that it is probably due to the age. Other than that, it is a very good bike for beginners through intermediate riders. Plus, you can find them for around what I paid online.

Favorite Trail:   Offroad trail near Live Oak Canyon

Duration Product Used:   10/31/14 - Current

Purchased At:   Highland, California

Similar Products Used:   -Gary Fisher X-Caliber 29er Hardtail
-Generic Diamond Back (Hardtail)

Submitted by gordon smith a Cross Country Rider from san diego, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2006

Strengths:    Great componets for the price. The Fox fork is awesome and the Avid Juicy breaks work really well.

Weaknesses:    The WTB wheels should be replaced. I burned out the free hub on about the third or fourth ride and due to location had to replace the whole wheel. WTB aint' everywhere like Shimano.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a great for the all around rider. I'm thinking about racing it in a 100 mile event. I put in an eleven and half hour ride a few months after I bought this bike and it felt great. It goes down hill like a rocket and has a great balance point. I cleaned sections of trail in Moab that I would never have cleaned before on my Rocky Mt.. So, for the price, you can't go wrong with this bike.

Favorite Trail:   right out my door

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   First full suspension. I've ridden a Rocky Mountain Thin Air for the last eight years.

Bike Setup:   Stock from the factory.

Submitted by nico a Racer from salinas

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2006

Strengths:    very light. great frame setup. good handeling. great for the cross country racer. or anyone that doesnt like to ride a tank. i think its better than any santa cruz

Weaknesses:    kinda looks like a santa cruz.

Bottom Line:
if you see this bike BUY IT!!! no matter the price. i have been mountain biking for 16 years and it is the best bike i have ever had.

Purchased At:   performance bikes

Similar Products Used:   santa cruz blur.

Bike Setup:   avid jucy 7 hydralic disk brakes. wtb rims tires grips and seat. carbon composite seatpost neck and handlebars. front fork: fox fx100. rear shock: fox float rl. shimano deore xt components.

Submitted by Michael Phair a Weekend Warrior from Alamo

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2005

Strengths:    The Components on this bike are what grabed my attention. I have owned 2 Santa Cruz Super Lights in the past and I currently own a Bullit so I can assure you that my review comes from knowledge. I have been racing and riding mountain bikes for 15 years. This Bike is as good or better then the Santa Cruz. If you are to have a problem with your Santa Cruz you have to deal with the dealer (in most cases). With the Weyless you simply take it down to your local Supergo (if ones available) and exchange your broken frame for a new one. I compare it to Craftsman. This bike feels the same as the Santa Cruz. The sizing is a little different but for me 6'2" it is better because I felt too big for the santa Cruz large and too small for the x-Large. The Weyless fits me as good as any bike I have ever ridden. I have only ridden this bike 8 times now or about 100 miles, but I can't see any weaknesses that are worthy of the price. Of course there is always something to snivle about.

Th rear suspension is designed for cross country riding. With a little less the 4 inches of travel you can not expect to soak up big hits. On fast choppy decsents your hands will begin to numb. This is the case with any air sprung shok or fork. The air simply can not react as quick as a spring. The craftsmanship of the frame is much better then you would expect from a generic frame. The welds all lokk good with the exception of the seat tupe to top tube brace. It has only two welds, one one each side, instead of 3 or 4 sides. The bike is very fast! Getting out of the saddle to climb is effortless with absolutly no bobbing.

If you are looking for a fast single track bike that can go for miles without beating you up. Look no further then this bike.

Weaknesses:    The wheel set, (WTB Laser Lite) are not up to par with the rest of the components. The paint job was not applied to all surfaces equally. Front Brake hose routing is lame, can't Fox come up with a better way then zip ties?

Bottom Line:
I got a good price $1,9999 - $500 sale -15% off for that day. Even at the full price I would by one again without hesitation. I have had the $6,500 bike and can honustly say that this bike blows it away.

If you are reading this article to see how this bike rates then you need to GO OUT AND BY IT TODAY !!!

Do not buy this bike if you are looking for an all mountain bike that can take big hits, it's not built for that.

Favorite Trail:   Hermosa Creek Trail CO.

Purchased At:   Supergo Maountain View

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Superlight, Lightspeed Ocoee F/S, Trek Y Bike, Specialized Epic, Etc....

Bike Setup:   XT Hollow Tech Cranks, Fox F100X, XT derailers, Sram Shifters, WTB Laser V saddle, WTB Laser Lite Wheels, WTB Momentum Headset, Juicy 7 Disc Brakes, Weyless Carbon riser bars and seatpost, Some where around 27.5 lbs.

Submitted by Joshua 1:9 a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2005

Strengths:    Nice components, fairly light (Large frame ~ 27.5 lbs), great price.

Weaknesses:    Paint comes off easily.

Bottom Line:
I've owed this bike for a year now and it still amazes me! I'm 6'2, 200 lbs and the large frame fits perfect. The shocks keep it nimble and stiff on the climbs and street and as plush as a couch on the downhills and jumps. Well, small jumps that is. I feel safer on the ground. The components on this bike are simply awesome for the price. Supergo was having a big sale of $500 dollars off and I jumped on it. I had only a few problems with it. The rear hub died (luckily at the top of a really big hill) but Supergo replaced the whole wheel with a 517 XT. The front fork was leaking oil but probably due to me handing my bike upside down and finally I had to replace the middle ring on the crank because it was grabbing the chain real bad. I ride it 3 times a week and have put over a thousand miles on it and it still runs sweet. You just have to get over the "name". The frame is designed just right and has not cracked but I do keep it on the ground most of the time. It's quick and responsive on technical single track. It ate up "Moore Fun" in Fruita, CO and I have such confidence going really fast on downhills. My buddies can't keep up with me. Bottom line, this is the best bike for the money.

Favorite Trail:   Middle Gate/Chutes Loop

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Joshua X, Specialized Epic

Bike Setup:   Fox F100X, Fox Float RL, Avid Juicy 7 disc brakes, XT front and rear derailers, XT hollow tech crank, carbon post and handlebars.

Submitted by ken woodruff a Cross Country Rider from el cerrito, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2005

Strengths:    climbs great, descends even better, great on single track, handles abuse, excellent price.

Weaknesses:    stupid name, ugly logo.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding this bike HARD for 3 months. when climbing the rear weel is glued to the trail - traction to spare. on descents, pick a line, any line, the supension will soak it up and guide you through. I'm 6'3" and 175 and the large frame fits. the brakes WORK. i went from a hardtail and i can't believe how much control I have. i have been ABUSING this bike and it just takes it. unless you want to spend 4-5K there is no reason to buy anything else. if you want a name-brand bike or prefer hard-tails or don't need oceans of travel i would not buy this bike. if you just want to go out and pound for hours, you can't go wrong. i can't believe i only paid 1800.

Favorite Trail:   mr toads wild ride

Purchased At:   mail order from supergo

Similar Products Used:   specialized epic comp

Bike Setup:   fox front and rear, juicy brakes, avid shifters

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Santa Barbara

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2005

Strengths:    Price, 2005 Frame is Light Weight, 5-Year No Hassel Warranty.

Weaknesses:    Nothing if used for intended purpose and not Clydesdale Riders!

Bottom Line:
Honestly...after 2 years of punishing riding I cracked the 2003 18 inch Weyless Frame. I beat the hell out of it and after a recent XC race that was more like Urban Assault meets Dirt I discovered 3 tiny stress cracks at the rear swingsarm. Considering that when I first bought the bike I weighed close to 200 lbs and was trying to debunk the Weyless was weak by taking 3 foot jumps and sometimes bigger, I WOULD STILL BUY IT AGAIN!!!The frame geometry is excellent very similar to a SC Superlight. The new frame is lighter and I will post actual frame weights including the shock for a 16 and 18 inch frame soon. I will be using a digital calibrated scale. I just bought the 16 inch frame with Manitou 3-Way for my girl friend and will be building it up for her. Supergo replace my cracked frame without problem and it only took 2 days to get it back. I live by a Supergo and dropped it off myself. I now weigh 177 lbs and race the bike. The bike handles with quick response. With a 4 inch fork it tames the darty handling. I will eventual add a Manitou Skarab or SID which should get the weight down to about 22.8 lbs. I'm not embarrassed at all riding the bike at XC races. I placed 4th in my first race with drive train problems. My XTR rear cogs granny gear was bent and thru the chain. I have since fixed it and doing even better! I did not have $3000 or $5000 dollars to blow on a "pro" bike. I can always upgrade this frame as time goes on and add my excellent components to another frame. The frame is an absolute bargain. I have known people who cracked name brand frames, Intense, Specialized Enduro's, and others...so whats the point? The Turner Nitrous is a insane light bike and intended for XC racing. Well I put the Weyless in a similar class...maybe not as light but close and probably tougher than the Turner Nitrous. The Weyless can satisfy a lot of peoples riding styles and pocket books.

Still happy with my purchase and would do it again!

Favorite Trail:   Epics

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Different name brands...Cannondale, GT...etc..

Bike Setup:   Custom built, Weyless carbon handlebars shortend 1 inch, Weyless Pro Carbon Seatpost with Ti Screw, 5th Element Air with Ti Screws, nut and alloy spacers, Speedplay Frog Ti pedals, American Classic CrMo ISIS BB with replaceable bearings, Truvativ Stylo Team 170mm Cranks and Specialites TA Chainrings, SRAM X.O GripShift, X.O Rear Der and SRAM 0.5 Front Der, SRAM PC99 Hollowpin Chain, Shimano XTR M960 11-34T Cog, Zette Ti Skewers, WTB Laserdisc Lite Rims with 15/17 Double butted spokes and Alloy nipples, Maxxis Flyweight Tubes and Kenda Karma 2.0 DTC tyres. Weight 24.7 lbs with 3.67 lbs Reba Race Air with Pop-Loc.

Submitted by Steven Foley a Cross Country Rider from Tujunga, CA

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2004

Strengths:    The frame is cheap

Weaknesses:    poor quality

Bottom Line:
The frame handles well for a cheaper frame. The 5th element shock works well. I cracked to of these frames. Supergo relaced the first one no questions asked. I cracked the second frame after on ride. I was just riding on some smooth single track. Supergo gave me my money back.
This is a prime example of when you get what you paid for.

Favorite Trail:   Rainbow Trail in Colorado

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain

Bike Setup:   full XT

Submitted by Jerry Dion a Cross Country Rider from Rochester, NH

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2004

Strengths:    lightweight, single-pivot design. high-end component package at a fair price! Fox F-100x, juicy-sevens and XT crankset. No-bob suspension that works when it needs to.

Weaknesses:    paint quality, cassette, shipping can cause DAMAGE...needed to ship back rear rim (flat spot) Although the shop quickly sent back an upgraded Mavic!

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike after reveiwing similar bikes and setups that cost way more but didn't even have the component package the SP Pro offers. The quality parts on the bike alone add up to over $2500, so supergo is giving you this frame. The frame itself is very similar to the SC Superlight and will not disappoint on singletrack. The Fox suspension will engage and soak up the big bumps, yet stays stiff up the hills. The Avids have not squeeked yet, although the rears do need to be bled. After going from a loose and sloppy GT I-drive to this bike, my speed and confidence on the trails has greatly increased. This bike is race-ready out of the box, which is what it is meant to be. Buy one and you'll agree...for the money, you will be happy.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Isinglass

Purchased At:   Supergo

Bike Setup:   Stock from supergo... basically everything you'll need for Fast& furious country riding and racing! Weyless carbon keeps the weight down

Submitted by kevin a Racer from san rafael

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2004

Strengths:    light , very little or no bob , very active suspension for race bike , looks great

Weaknesses:    none yet , STUPID NAME BUT I GOT OVER IT

Bottom Line:
frame weighed 5.9 lbs small , built up race bike for wife at 24.5 lbs . I borrowED this bike SEVERAL TIMES and I like it as much as mine(YETI 575) . LIGHT , NO BOB WHEN SEATED , VERY LITTLE WHEN STANDING . SEEMS TO BE VERY ACTIVE DOWN HILL FOR A RACE BIKE . AT $350 FOR FRAME AND SHOCK I WAS ABLE TO BUY HER ALL TOP OF THE LINE COMPONENTS TO BUILD IT VERY LIGHT WITHOUT GETTING MORE THAN 2K INTO IT . SHE WILL RACE HER 1ST RACE AT 2005 SEA OTTER THIS YEAR AND I THINK SHE WILL KICK BUTT ON THIS BIKE (LOOK FOR ANDREA 30 Y.O. WOMAN SPORT CLASS) LOOKS GREAT IN BLUE , 5TH ELEMENT WORKS GREAT . THE NAME SUCKS BUT AT ONLY $350 I CAN DEAL WITH IT .

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   yeti 575 , fsr enduro , old heckler

Bike Setup:   fsa carbon cranks , seat post , ti b.b. , skareb plat 100 , 3 ti crank bros , spinergy wheels , ec90 bar , sram xo shifter/der., roll x pro 2.0 tires , green light tubes
5TH ELEMENT

Submitted by steve humphrey a Racer from dixon il.

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2004

Strengths:    stiff and light very plush. no need for lockout on the 5th element

Weaknesses:    seatpost

Bottom Line:
purchased fram and built it up. weight is 25, i could lose a pound if i went to a sid but love the fox. this frame is awesome. wish i could've waited for them to reduce the price it is now 300 and some change. buy one.

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   stp 400, catamount

Bike Setup:   xo rear, xt ft. 9.0 shifters, avid ti brakes, evolve xc cranks, bontrager racelites with kenda klimax lites tubless, thompson post, botrager bars, fox rlt 80

Submitted by Phil a Cross Country Rider from Park City, UT, USa

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2004

Strengths:    Got the bike 3 months ago when supergo had $400 discount (drooling and checking back each week)to replace Yeti ARC, which although light as a feather and amazing, couldn't tolerate over 20-30 miles due to beating my body took (lots of rocks here). Have put on about 500 miles. Let's see, why don't we add up the components? Conservatively, $2100 retail, so they're basically paying me to take this frame, which by the way is amazing. Went for 6 hour 50 mile ride 2 days ago from the Canyons to Park City to Deer Valley around Deer Valley back to home almost all on singletrack, and felt good the next day, ready to ride. Haven't weighed the frame yet, suspect I gained around 5# over super-light Yeti, but the whole package just feels amazing both climbing and descending, very balanced. The customer service has been unparalleled (I don't work there) Bottom bracket height is great!

Weaknesses:    250 mm carbon seatpost nice and light, but come on, 250 mm. Last time I checked a mountain bike post was at least 330 mm (I'm 5'11" on a medium). Not really a weakness since Supergo shop in Mountain View gave me credit towards Thomson.

Bottom Line:
A great package at an amazing price. OK. What am I missing? Don't be a name-brand sucka, fool! I'm not, as I can barely read the premium logo as I whip by them!

Favorite Trail:   all 350 miles of them

Purchased At:   supergo.com

Similar Products Used:   Mostly hardtails. Tried friend's top'o'the line Fuel with lots of Bontrager and LOW BB until I couldn't stand the sound of my pedals hitting the ground on every corner.

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock, flipped stem over as haven't had the courage to cut steerer tube (front end feels a bit high with riser stem and riser bars). Cut off ends of ridiculously wide carbon bars (right through the internal aluminum reinforcements)Added Cane Creek ergo 2's- there was no such thing as bar ends until these came along.