Ventana El Fuego XC Full Suspension

4.75/5 (4 Reviews)

El Fuego, our no-nonsense, super light, modest travel, cross country racing frameset has been made even better. Due to our customer feedback, we have redesigned El Fuego to incorporate sealed bearings at all pivots, vertically slotted dropouts with replaceable derailleur hanger, and an increase in travel to 3.0 inches. Of course, El Fuego still retains our legendary championship construction, "Electric Sex" welds, and luscious powder coat finish.

Submitted by JmZ a Cross Country Rider from Midwest, USA

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2011

Strengths:    I have never doubted the frame. Rider yes, frame no.
Versatile
Company stands behind the product

Weaknesses:    Doesn't give me more time to ride.
Not the lightest out there

Bottom Line:
First I can't believe I have not reviewed this earlier!

The frame has disappeared from the Ventana website, but can still be purchased by special order OR go with the Salty. Same basic idea with an inch more travel.

I was cycling through frames about every 18 months because I'd find something I didn't like about them. The Diamondback didn't fit quite right, the Specialized was flexy, etc.

Then noticed the Ventana was on sale. Asked LOTS of questions in the forums, and of the retailer. I ended up purchasing blind, because I (still) have not seen many Ventana frames in the midwest.

First ride after having the frame built? This is the way the bike should feel. The frame and parts ended inspiring enough confidence that I've started to exceed some of the parts. (I really shouldn't try to keep up with a 38 pound freeride bike on a 24 pound XC bike! That was a front rim. Thank goodness for disc brakes).

The bike wants to slice and carve singletrack, and has a margin of error so I'm not worried if the frame will hold me back.

The finish is still flawless after several years, the suspension pivots are tight, the frame is straight, and I still have not felt the frame flex. (Single row bearings and I'm not a lightweight either).

It is an expensive frame, no doubt to that. But it stopped me from going from buying a new $500-$800 frame every 18 months to keeping the same frame for several years. That alone speaks for itself.

I built the frame up with XC in mind. Lightweight, short travel, but not to the point of sacrificing durability. And since I'm at 200 pounds that meant I still could shave at least another pound from the bike's 24 pound weight if I really desired to.

Favorite Trail:   Brown Co

Purchased At:   Mountain High Cycler

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Dakar
Rocky Mountain Element
Specialzed Ground Control
Diamondback V-Link
Mongoose Amplifier

Bike Setup:   Lightweight XC bike. Tires are always changing, 1400g wheelset, Marzocchi front fork, Shimano drivetrain.

Submitted by bob54 a Cross Country Rider from sandhills, nc, usa

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2010

Strengths:    tough as nails; bike is 5 yrs old and remains stiff. handles any trail I can ride. Friendly Ventana Tech support, parts availability, strong design, light weight.

Weaknesses:    none to speak of

Bottom Line:
A top notch product that handles the trail well. Newer versions are more trail bikes and use 80 mm shocks. Mine is an older version and more like a Salty (4 inch rear travel, 100 mm shock)

Favorite Trail:   governors creek

Bike Setup:   XTR, Fox 100 RLT, Fox R shock, quad bearings 4 inch rocker 23 lbs.

Submitted by JackSlade a Racer from Folsom, CA USA

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2008

Strengths:    Laterally stiff, carves turns, Awesome quality, light, takes a pounden' and keeps on a kickin'

Weaknesses:    Pricey (you get what you pay for), could be better on small bumps.

Bottom Line:
Great frame, quality is the tops. If you are looking for a great XC racer, this one would do the job well!

Favorite Trail:   Auburn Canyon

Similar Products Used:   Ventana Marble Peak

Bike Setup:   This bike is 7 years old! This frame was the first production run of the Fuego ("FIRE" in spanish!) Full XTR, V brakes, Chris King hubs w/Mavic ceramic rims. 25lbs

Submitted by Rick a Weekend Warrior from Gretna, NE

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2004

Strengths:    Super smooth ride and amazing quality. Durability has been great.

Weaknesses:    Can add up to be a pricey bike for some.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for someone who wants something special. It is less common, but a very respected brand. The ride is fantastic and promises to be a favorite of mine for a long, long time.

Chad at Red Barn Bicycles helped me outfit the bike for my typical terrain. His custom touch made a huge difference in the final product. It can be set up to handle anything I want to throw at it.

Purchased At:   Red Barn Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Dakar, Many hardtails

Bike Setup:   XT with Fox Talas

El Fuego For Sale

Hi, I'm selling my late 90's early 2000's El Fuego, 17.5in. This is a sweet ride, however I've gone ahead and gotten a 29er and now I need to make room in the garage. The frame is Electric moondust, full xtr set up, race face handle bar & stem, sid front fork, cane creek rear suspension, Mavic rim ... Read More »

'02 El Fuego - Bearing Upgrade?

I have a 2002 El Fuego, still holding up great. Just had all my bushings (yes all) replaced. Cost about $70 which seems quite reasonable. By the look of it, the main pivot should be upgradeable to bearing. I asked Ventena about this but they did not reply. Any thoughts?Read More »

El Fuego: why was it discontinued?

anyone know the reason behind their decision to phase out this frame?Read More »

El Fuego?

Hi. I'm currently racing an El Salt and riding the snot out of an El Toro. I was wondering what happened to the El Fuego. Are they still being made? I didn't see them on the Ventana website.Read More »

El Fuego on eBay

Looks like it is in the Bay Area. (not my bike, btw) [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/07-VENTANA-EL-FUEGO-XTR-970-COMPONENT-WITH-FOX-RP23_W0QQitemZ130207668814QQihZ003QQcategoryZ98083QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]Read More »