Trek Top Fuel 8 XC Full Suspension

4.61/5 (18 Reviews)

Why settle for anything less than the best tech, best looks, and best performance? Top Fuel delivers all of the above.
  • Frame: Alpha Red Aluminum w/ABP Race, Full Floater, magnesium EVO Link, oversized pivot bearings, replaceable derailleur hanger, 100mm travel
  • Front Suspension: RockShox Reba RL w/air spring, rebound, remote lockout, alloy steerer, 100mm travel
  • Rear Suspension: Fox Float RP-2, "race tuned" w/ProPedal, rebound; 6.5x1.5"
  • Wheels: Bontrager Race Lite Disc wheel system, 28 hole, center lock, tubeless ready
  • Shifters: Shimano SLX, 10 speed

Submitted by diabolicaldan a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2011

Strengths:    Beautiful looking 2011 frame. Fast and confidence inspiring. Climbs very well.

Weaknesses:    I want a better front fork.

Bottom Line:
This is an agile bike with a sporty lively feel. Climbs with confidence. Braking at speed is so nice with the ABP in the rear end. Immediatly felt more in control than on my older Fuel EX without ABP. I'm still looking for the limits in my cornering, it would seem the bike will handle anything I can get the courage to do.

Favorite Trail:   anything fast and flowy

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Fuel EX 7

Bike Setup:   All XT drivetrain, mavic rims, hayes brakes, nevegal and small block 8. bontrager seatpost and seat, easton bars. Rockshox Reba 100mm.

Submitted by WheelieWonka a Racer from long Island, NY

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2011

Strengths:    Fast, supple, comfortable

Weaknesses:    The older frames crack but I ride just about every day and beat my bikes up...

Bottom Line:
The bike is only as good as it's weakest link. Get the right components for the aluminum Top Fuel and you're good to go. This bike is super plush and super fast. I love it. Trek warranty can NOT be beat. I'm on my 6th Fuel frame. Yes - I beat my bikes up. LOL. I also ride a Surly 1X1 that hooked to the gills and a Jamis XAM all mountain. All good bikes but the Top Fuel is my fav. ;)

Favorite Trail:   Not sure yet :)

Purchased At:   Tarrytown Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Titus Racer X, Specialized Enduro. I've ridden a lot of bikes.

Bike Setup:   I just got this 2011 frame and absolutely love it. I put on a Fox Float RL rear shock, and X-Fusion Velvet up front. Everything else is top notch - carbon bars, thompson stuff, hand built wheelset, etc.

Submitted by rafaperron a Cross Country Rider from Querétaro, Querétaro, Mexico

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2010

Strengths:    Good balance between weight and strength. The bicycle suspension makes the bike faster on both: up and down. On the technical uphill the rear suspension improves tire grip witch allow you to handle more obstacles, and on the downhill the bike is comfortable also.

The Avid Jucy brakes are excellent. They are the only parts on the bike lifetime that never need to even go to service.

Weaknesses:    I used to ride everyday. The front Fox suspension only last 2 years, and the frame cracks in 2.5 years. Currently the frame warranty is on process.

Bottom Line:
The bicycle is a cross-country bike. Good for racing and an all-around terrain, but the 90 / 100 mm suspensions are somewhat short if you want to do some dirty trails.

Purchased At:   Tekno Bike

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR Stupjumper Elite, KHS Alite

Bike Setup:   Fox F32 Front Suspension (100 mm), Jucy Disk Brakes, Bontrager Weels.

Submitted by Harlequinducks a Cross Country Rider from Fairbanks,AK ,U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2010

Strengths:    Fat boy fun approved (bomb-proof).

Weaknesses:    Pivot joint squeaked after riding bike fully submerged through leach infested waters (expected outcome from the Death Ride). Stock wheels soft for my weight.

Bottom Line:
Started riding bike at 245 lbs. plus panner for extended trips. Through season I retraced skills from youth and dropped weight. Bike out performed all expectations from ability to climb and handle excessive loads off-road. I was so happy with the Top Fuel 8 that I gave it to my wife. I bought another Top fuel frame and will build with Race Face carbon low riser & Deus crank-set,WTB Werewolf tires, Cane Creek grips, Axiom Odyssey pannier rack. I hope to race new Top fuel MTB in Xterra off-road Triathlon. I would recommend to others since I'm getting my second.

Favorite Trail:   Quartz Creek

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Klien,

Bike Setup:   stock with, Bontrager carbon low riser,WTB Werewolf tires, Cane Creek grips, Axiom Odyssey pannier rack.

Submitted by LittleMJ a Racer from Austin

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2010

Strengths:    Remote lockout, 4" travel, Pro-Pedal

Weaknesses:    Weight, RL Wheels

Bottom Line:
This bike is fast, just plain fast. It is not that great for urban riding, but this is the best aluminum race bike around. This is the ultimate race bike.

Favorite Trail:   Nate Stolz

Purchased At:   Mellow Johnny's

Similar Products Used:   Remedy, EX8

Bike Setup:   Stock w/ eggbeater upgrade

Submitted by cannondalemtb65 a Racer from Huntingdon Valley, PA

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2009

Strengths:    Pretty light weight, Full Sus, Confortable, Looks amazing

Weaknesses:    Comes with some cheap stuff like bars seat clamp but would change them out anyway.

Bottom Line:
This bike is real fast, but very confortable at the same time. The rear shock eats up everything yet, no pedal bob. I could ride this bike all day and never have any back or butt pain. This bike aslo has great handling and cornering, best bike i every own highly recomened.

Favorite Trail:   Mihuax State Park

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Guy's Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F5, Salsa Mamasita

Bike Setup:   Trek top fuel 8, Noir WC carbon bars, Xt cranks, ergon grips.

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from USA

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2009

Strengths:    real nice bike it handles great..I give it a 4 because it could be a little lighter. It still is light though and handles great

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
Great bike everything works great fun to ride. I would rate it a 4.8. Theirs always room for inprovement

Submitted by ErieRider a Racer from Erie

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2009

Strengths:    This bike really holds a line in tight single track. The active braking pivot work well at least in in eastern woods type riding. The suspension is well balanced. It climbs best while the rider is in the saddle.

Weaknesses:    It feels heavy when I try to bunny hop over obstacles. This might be a function of my suspension setup. Would prefer a solid lockout on the rear suspension - pro peddle has some peddle bob on big climbs.

Stock cable lengths are ridiculously long.

Bottom Line:
I'd buy it again. In its first serious outing I completed a 24-hour solo on this bike. Beyond a sore back, the bike took better care of me than I did of it. I plan to race my next 24-hour as well as some cross country races on it.

If I was headed out west to ride (Moab) this would be a fine choice. Some riders may not like the aggressive position, but I think that it lends to the bike ability to carve through turns. I don't do free-riding or downhill, so the short suspension is fine by me.

Purchased At:   Competitive Gear

Similar Products Used:   Trek EX8: The Top Fuel holds a better line and has a more aggressive position. My back was sore after a 24-hour race on the Top Fuel.

Fisher ProCaliber: The Top Fueld feels heavier and it doesn't climb as well. This may be a result of the tight rear lock-out on the Fisher. The Top Fuel handles WAY better. The Fisher is unstable on the road - if you take your hands off the bars it'll start head shaking. The Fisher feels easier to get over obstacles.

Bike Setup:   Swapped out the stock grips for Ergons. Removed that white seat after one ride because it looks like I pooped on it.

It wouldn't be unreasonable to do away with the triple ring, and run two chain rings on the front. Unless your going up the side of a building, the little ring will see very little use.

The stock tires are fine

Submitted by Kilian a Cross Country Rider from Tilburg, Netherlands

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2009

Strengths:    well balanced frame, light (enough)

Weaknesses:    cable routing, matte grey finish (I'm used to Klein's finish; high gloss, nice colors)

Bottom Line:
I recieved this frame as part of a warranty exchange, because the Adept showed frame cracks. At first I was not too happy with this frameset, because I was used to the faboulous looks and handling of the Klein. Also I needed to buy lots of new parts to be even able to ride the new bike. But after the first rides this bike has won me over: It's quick, very stable, equally agile as the Adept, and climbs better!! I don't see a lot of Trek's around here, but it sure is worth considering, if you are a XC rider.

Favorite Trail:   Pso. del sole, CH

Purchased At:   Warranty frame

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale M800, Klein Mantra, Klein Adept

Bike Setup:   Rockshox SID '08, gripshift, XT, Magura Marta SL, Mavic Crosstrail UST. Setup for 65 Kgs: front 100psi, rear 145 psi.

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior from St Joseph,MI US

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2008

Strengths:    Light weight, fast, climbs very well, high quality componets for the most part.Tubless ready rims.

Weaknesses:    Why Trek is so in love with these Bontrager Jones tires is beyond me.Other than there light weight (which is why they use them) traction is terrible. Seat post finish on the cheap

Bottom Line:
Coming off a plusher Fuel ex8 I was not so sure about the ride quality of the bike. After a few weeks in the saddle I must say I love this bike. Certainly not a super plus ride but than again that's not what the bike was built for. On a single track this bike flat out rocks! Holds the line and tracks very well climbs like a goat even without the pro-peddal on. Swaped out the tires with some Kenda Nevegals, New WTB Silverado saddle and some Ergon grips.

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel ex8

Submitted by stuartwi a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2008

Strengths:    A tough, sassy bike. Looks great and more than a match for my quality as a rider. Fell off the roof of my car at 60mph and nothing wrong with it except a bent rear mech hanger, ripped saddle and slightly ovalised headset.

Weaknesses:    If choosing again, might choose a model with a bit more rear travel such as Fuel EX8; I'm more into all-day comfort than racing. Avid Juicy 5s a bit squeeky in the wet.

Bottom Line:
Its light compared with other friends MTBs, excellent value for money. Very good quality components on the whole.

Favorite Trail:   Llandegla North Wales

Purchased At:   online retailer

Bike Setup:   Factory, except change of grips and headset upgraded.

Submitted by Paul Hogue a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2007

Strengths:    A really sweet ride for a newbie to soft tails. Handles great and the componentry is top nitch. The shifiting is amazingly crisp and the brakes provide great control

Weaknesses:    Trek could provide some better information with the bike or on the webiste about different configurations and pressures for the rear suspension and front shock

Bottom Line:
A great bike. Rbikes.com was great to work with and helped advise me of the bike type that was right for me. This bike provides outstanding control when rumbling down the hills at high speed. Once you get a quality rear suspension bike like this one, you won't go back!

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   rbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   10 year old specialized hard tail

Bike Setup:   70 psi in rear shock with all stock equipment

Submitted by Carl Vassel a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2007

Strengths:    Great geometry, this bike is fast on climbs and the decents. The Fox fork eats up the bumps, the Mantiou shock also works well but has had some problems (see below) SRAM drive train is solid like always, the XO is crisper than XTR. Avid Juicy 5's are golden.

Weaknesses:    Bontrager saddle sucks, so do the grips. Main problem is the Mantiou rear shock. After 5-6 rides it started loosing air, it would drop from 100 to 30 psi over night. Sent it back to Manitou, it has been 2 weeks and I am still waiting... Not really Trek's fault, but why in the F are they using Manitou and not something reliable???

Bottom Line:
The problem with the Manitou has been a bummer, the bike was flawless up until then. This bike is more than a cc racer, it really has enough travel for almost any trail. For the price, this bike gets 5 chilis.

Favorite Trail:   National, Little Bear

Purchased At:   Local Shop

Similar Products Used:   Spec. Epic, Fisher Rig

Bike Setup:   Stock, except Ergon grips, Fiz'ik saddle, Time Pedals.

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Scottsdale, AZ

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2007

Strengths:    Value. Comes with a good component group - the SRAM rear derailer rocks and the suspension (Fox 32 F100 RL and Manitou S-Type SRL schock) is very good.

Weaknesses:    I wouldn't say that this bike has weaknesses. The bike comes very solid. You will however want to upgraded/change a few things - and these things are pretty standard changes on just about any stock bike. 1) Saddle - I ride a WTB Rocket V. Stock saddles are almost always heavy and sub par. 2) Pedals - I kept my Shimano 540s off my old bike. 3) I had my bike setup as tubeless at the shop (the way to go). I also changed the tires right from the start. Note: if you go tubeless - the rear wheel has off center spoke holes...so the rear wheel needs an off center wheel strip. You may want to make sure your LBS has one in stock. Regarding tires, where you ride really dictates your tire choice. I live and ride in the Arizona dessert so low tread, fast XC tires are what I like. 4) I decided to upgrade the front shifters to SRAM X.9. The rear derailer is top of the line SRAM X-0 combined with the X.9 = very crisp shifting. I thought if I spent any additional money this was a good place to spend it.

Bottom Line:
Initially when I set out to buy a new bike I started looking at the Blur, Racer-X and Truth. I race in off road triathlons/Xterra and wanted something fast that could climb well. I thought I would be spending easily in the neighborhood of $3500. Given that I am not a full blown XC racer the $3500 was hard to justify - so initially I thought the Top Fuel 8 was a real compromise. However, after racing in the Arizona Xtreme Dessert Xterra Triathlon I can say that I don’t feel like I gave up anything. My bike split easily improved and I felt very efficient and fast on climbs. The bike handles very well and the suspension is extremely good. One thing I recommend it that you get a professional bike fit. I did and I can say that I have never felt more comfortable and powerful on a bike. If you live near Scottsdale AZ – go to Bicycle Ranch for your fit. They know their stuff.

Favorite Trail:   MMR

Purchased At:   Bicycle Ranch Scottsdale

Bike Setup:   See above

Submitted by Sneakyracer a Cross Country Rider from PR

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2007

Strengths:    solid components, good value, climbs very very well, handles well in the tight stuff and in descents. It has lots of grip everywhere, sticks to the trail. Shifting gears is flawless, the rear SRAM XO works perfectly even under load on climbs.

Weaknesses:    nothing that ive encountered yet... The stock tires might not be very low resistance or very fast rolling but do provide lots of grip.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a great package for XC. its comfy, has tons of grip even on steep loose climbs. Handles very intuitively, inspires confidense and it fast. Its a fast bike. A sleeper in the trek lineup.