Trek Fuel 90 Disc XC Full Suspension

4.38/5 (8 Reviews)

Submitted by Stuart McGhie a Cross Country Rider from Toronto

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2008

Strengths:    Fairly light, rigid, can take a beeting

Weaknesses:    Chain suck, crappy stock forks.

Bottom Line:
I have ridden this bike over 8000kms+ in 4-5 years. It is an incredible climber, fast on the single track and downhill xc stuff. This is a very predictible bike. This is a true XC bike. I jump, ride planks, play in the urban jungle with it, and have had no problems. This bike is not built for huge jumps of 4 feet plus with hard impacts, it will handle all your standard riding encounters when out exploring trails. Very comfortable. I am 6'2 and 190lbs and ride a 21 inch frame.

Favorite Trail:   All

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountin Vertex, Giant,

Bike Setup:   Pretty stock other than a few tweeks hear and there. No point measing with a good thing.

Submitted by René Visser a Cross Country Rider from Breda, The Netherlands

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2006

Strengths:    All the advantages of a hardtail but with both wheels biting in the dirt in stead of bounching around like a rodeo bull.

Weaknesses:    Geometry is a bit weird, very long upper tube and the seat post towering high above mother earth, notice I'm from Holland so I'm 6.3 feet on a 19.5 inch frame. Work pretty well thoug. I planning to break the pole-sitting record one of these days.

Bottom Line:
I'm very happy on my American Build Bike (eventhoug it has a lot of european stuff mounted ;) )A friend to explore the trails with, even in this ever-so-flat country and its suspension avoiding premature exhausting. The best choise of years, this bike was made in the country where mountainbiking has been invented. Not for the racers but for marathonbikers

Favorite Trail:   houffalize, belgium

Similar Products Used:   B1 killer bee (a Dutch brand, super stiff hardtail but I'm getting annoyed by kicking in the back because of bumps and holes and freaking roots and so on and so on)

Bike Setup:   A 2004 Frame, Mavic XM317 rims with Shimano XT hubs and DT spokes, Schwalbe Nobby Nic tyres, Hayes HF9 Hydraulic discs, Marzocchi MX comp 105 mm travel, rock shox Bar adjust

Submitted by K Totten a Weekend Warrior from Charleston, WV, USA

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2005

Strengths:    Reliability, Customer Support, Local Dealership

Weaknesses:    Rear Shock, Doesnt come tubeless

Bottom Line:
I really like this bike. It doesnt do anything great but it does everything really well. I replaced the stock fork with a Fox Talas. The stock rear shock was way too harsh for me, I replaced the sleeve on the rear shock with the Fox AVA sleeve and it made a huge difference in the ride. I never have to think about this bike when I'm riding, it's been a real work horse, very dependable.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Charleston Bicycle Center

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Prophet, Cannondale Jeckyll

Bike Setup:   IRC Serac UST tires, Fox Talas fork, Fox AVA rear shock.

Submitted by Franco di Motardo a Cross Country Rider from Stuttgart, Germany

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2004

Strengths:    In my opinion a great price - value relation! Rear suspension /w Fox ProPedal works excellent. You only feel it when you need it. Good compromise between sprty and comfy seating position. Disk breaks work excellent and (so far) absolutely trouble free. Remark: I was not keen on Discs. My dealer forced me to by the bike with a big rebate :-) (Euro 1500). Still rapidfire shifters work excellent. The frame and suspension system is so well done! Great welding, oval shaped tapered tubes, great paintjob. Lightweight but not exaggerated - still very sturdy.

Weaknesses:    (1) Chainsuck on many occasions! My advise: shift to smallest front wheel ONLY when the one of the 2 largest rear wheels are engaged! (2) Climbing capabilities are not all that great. Front wheel lifts up early. (3) Had sone shifting problems during break in phase. Probably normal.

Bottom Line:
This bike is so much fun to ride and I am very proud on it.
The frame is just understatement - I love the Fuel concept: the suspension is - on a first glance - invisible since the frame still has a traditional shape.
Coming back to biking after a couple years (and being a little unfit at 6ft6 and 210pd) I feel very well and safe on this bike which is not tooo lightweight.

A point of critique which applies to many bikes: one buys a product for serious money. Along with it you receive a owners manual which is just a joke. Terribly printed, terribly translated, consisting of many leaflets, valid for all kinds of different bikes....
Why don't they provide a decent manual, one like e.g. you'd receive with a car (german brand)?

Favorite Trail:   Katzenbacherhof

Purchased At:   Bike Ranch, Hochdorf

Similar Products Used:   Trek 880 (?) Chromoly Fram, LX Comp. of 1993

Bike Setup:   Off the shelf

Submitted by Phil a Cross Country Rider from ND

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2004

Strengths:    XC ability, responsive handling.

Weaknesses:    Not very plush, seat is marginal, not all that light, needs more hydro brake cable guides.

Bottom Line:
I've only had this bike for 2 weeks, but so far I love it. I had bought a Cake and returned it when it turned out to be not that great at XC (spongy fork, poor geometry for me) and bought this. I'll be doing occasional racing, and this bike should be plenty good for that, if a bit on the heavy side in stock form.

Make no mistake, this is not a plush all-mountain bike, and it doesn't try to be. It is a fast and firm XCer that has a very responsive and agile feel to it. The only time it bobs is when you are hammering out of the saddle, and even then it really isn't noticable unless you are looking at the rear shock.

My only regret is the $400 extra I paid for the disc option was not really something I needed, although they are nice brakes. My only gripe with the bike so far is that I had to zip-tie the brake cable to the top tube because there are not enough guides. Minor issue, but I feel I should not have to deal with that after spending that much money! I have found many disc bikes to have this problem.

If you are looking for a plush ride, you are looking at the wrong bike. If you are looking for the responsiveness of a hardtail but want to go faster and without the hard edge, you should definately check this one out.

Favorite Trail:   Maah-Daah-Hey

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Cake 2,3, Specialized FSR XC, Epic

Bike Setup:   Stock for now.

Submitted by Armando a Weekend Warrior from Lisbon, Portugal

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2004

Strengths:    great XC bike, well balanced, nice frame, very pretty, comfortable

Weaknesses:    bontrager saddle

Bottom Line:
This is a fantastic bike, great behaviour, fast, comfortable, almost no bobbing, very pretty, nice components (for a weekend warrior). It gave me much more confidence on track, now i can handle much better long journeys and long irregular climbs and descents. This is an amazing bike for XC fan.
It could become with a better saddle and trek could sell the bike with the float RL, instead we usually don’t need to lock the rear suspension. At the moment no problem with the bike.
Very nice bike for the price paid.

Favorite Trail:   alentejo, sines

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   net

Bike Setup:   stock with schwalbe jimmy ust tires

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from Henderson, NV

Date Reviewed: February 29, 2004

Strengths:    I like my Trek bike. The light weight and the disk brakes make this a solid performed for the types of rides I do. I like tooling around on unexplored single track, whether that be along side the railroad tracks on the way to work, or in vacant desert next to the Las Vegas Strip.

Weaknesses:    Can't say that I have found anything significant yet.

Bottom Line:
If you like solid performance on fast single track, are afraid of dying by going off anything over 18 inches, and follow Lance Armstrong, Trek Fuel 90 is a great bike.

Favorite Trail:   Bear Claw Poppy Trail St. George, UT

Purchased At:   Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Upgraded from a Costco Mongoose that I rode for three years while learning. This is my first real mountain bike.

Bike Setup:   Standard as per spec. Put on a computer and a saddle pouch to carry a tube.

Submitted by Eri Seguin from Newark, VT, USA

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2004

Strengths:    Great bike, lightweight and very responsive. The minute that I hopped on the saddle and clipped my feet in I knew that this bike would be one that would be able to withstand many miles of severe singletrack. I have to say that if you are going to purchase the Fuel 90, go for the disc option, minimal weight but great stopping power.

Weaknesses:    I did have a problem with the brake lever early on, but my local bike shop took it in and in no time replaced the lever with a brand new one from Hayes. Chain-suck has also been a re-occuring problem with the bike. The ZR 9000 is a great frame but I have experienced many problems with chain-suck, which is frustrating to say the least.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is, this bike is great. Although I have experienced some problems with the bike, I can not complain. It is a lightweight bike that comes loaded with components that have a name behind them. The Hayes disc breaks are also a great addition that I would definately recomend looking into rather than the V-Brake option. I have put many miles on this bike and look forward to putting on many more once the snow leaves the ground. If you are looking for a race set-up bike, this is not the bike for you, the Fuel 95 or 98 is for you, but if you are looking for a bike that is very responsive for the avid cycler, this bike is screaming your name. It offers a very plush ride (Thanks to the Fox Float R) on the back end and a plush ride on the front due to the Rox Shox Duke XC.

Favorite Trail:   Moose Alley