Trek Fuel 80 XC Full Suspension

• Bontrager Ranger alloy rims
  • Shimano Deore XT

Submitted by benjamin n mays a Weekend Warrior from cocoa fl USA

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2010

Strengths:    smooth, fast, nimble, weight, good geometry for 5'10" 170lbs

Weaknesses:    fox float shock not quite enough flex for big stuff

Bottom Line:
real sweet all around trail bike ready & hungry for fast & furious tempo as well as slow-n-low technical ( more my style). great fo those who wanna really ride but dont wanna break the bank. sure theres more capable stuuf out there but if you dont need all that dont buy it buy this instead. you dont need to spend $2000.00 + to have fun. i spent $500 and im pacing guys on $3200.00 dollar bikes they dont know how to use

Favorite Trail:   santos & alafia

Purchased At:   ten speed cycle in t

Similar Products Used:   giant trance (hardly comparable)

Bike Setup:   stock frame & suspension rock shox pilot air- fox float rear shock good enough ( bought used had to rebuild= $63.47 not bad)stock wheels. after market parts serfas rx saddle- triple trap platform pedals- new sram chain- serfas tires 2.35 swoop up front( super sweet tire seriously buy one NOW) serfas 2.1 boil ( dito )fsa bash ring ( sweet )

Submitted by teruyasu a Weekend Warrior from Akishima-shi, Tokyo, Japan

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2009

Strengths:    The frame seems enough as they guarantee though, little bit heavy?

Weaknesses:    It's own heaviness.

Bottom Line:
Totaly color design is nice(in Red). Designd in only black and red.

Now I am satisfied after changing the wheel set and crank set to Mavic 819 disc UST with XTR hub, XT sprocket, Cross-mark UTS by Maxxis, and Raceface Evolve XC X-TIPE.

I changed the devices at the same time, so after changed them, it makes me feel like just as 'a different bike'.

So, I think maybe I should stop to spend money any more with this bike, to keep money for having new one.

Similar Products Used:   Klien Pinnacle.

Bike Setup:   For make the bike it is able to ride in any situation at west side of Tokyo.

Submitted by Ladislav Beneš a Cross Country Rider from Praha, Czech Republic

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2008

Strengths:    Pretty good stiffness of the rear triangle, nice design in the VW-Trek red, Avid Juicy 5 brakeset.

Weaknesses:    The RS Bar 2.1 rear shock, the HUGE weight, low activity of the rear triangle, Shimano M440 crankset

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike for my father for a reduced price as a first fully and as a replacement for Trek 6500. The impression is very poor. The 80mm on rear wheel are not fully activated because of the poor shock, so the bike acts more like a hard-tail.
The weight is too much for 80mm (more than 14 kg).
The rest of the bike is quite OK.
Considering the stock price, it only supports my worst meaning about Trek full-suspension bikes before 2007, but for the reduced price, it is a good toy for weekends.
I recommend to change the rear shock to all users.

Favorite Trail:   Brdy mountain range

Purchased At:   Kolokolo e-shop, Most

Similar Products Used:   2003 Fuji Diamond Lite 3, Stumpjumper FSR, Epic FSR, Scott Genius MC-50

Bike Setup:   2006 Stock, but: Shimano centerlock hubs, Avid Juicy 5 brakeset

Submitted by Paul a Weekend Warrior from London, UK

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2007

Strengths:    Solid, quality frame, comfy, climbs well, good all rounder

Weaknesses:    Manitou splice fork had to go. Tyres no good for damp UK conditions and way heavy. Heavy/cheap parts, especially drivetrain and bars/stem combo. 505 pedals went straight in the bin.

Bottom Line:
Bought the bike to have a go at getting back into mountain bikes after 10 years out so didn't want to spend too much up front. The TF80 looked to be the best option with discs for the price and after upgrades sourced cheap from Ebay and CRC I'm well happy with the ride. The bike has lost 4.1bs and I'm 2 stone lighter!

Suitable for the larger rider doing XC.

Frames are big for their quoted size, massive spec changes every year

Favorite Trail:   Epping Forest

Purchased At:   Pauls Cycles

Similar Products Used:   ?? My 1st full susser

Bike Setup:   19" Red, 2006 model bought NOS in May 07. Reba SL w/poploc up front, Spec'd Houffalize 1.8" tyres, Xpedo pdeals, carbon bars stem and post, Shimano Hollotech LX crankset, roadie block

Submitted by the molester from Blackburn ,uk

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2007

Strengths:    the price, its very quick , good climber, & good looking, great allrounder

Weaknesses:    rear shock is a rock shox bar 2.1 , its jerky doesnt work its sh*t lets the whole bike down.also really high top tube

Bottom Line:
apart from rear shock , the ridiculously high top tube is way to high, its only a 17 1/2" frame and Evey time i jump off the pedals i kill the family jewels which shine no more, when your on the pedals its fine but any other time its torture. Dont let me put you off' you would have to spend a lot more money than this to equal the ride. GM,UK

Favorite Trail:   gillm.75@hotmail.com

Purchased At:   pauls cycles

Similar Products Used:   spl,ized FSR

Bike Setup:   total stock.

Submitted by JH Park a Cross Country Rider from Korea

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2007

Strengths:    very good for climbing up in terms of strength & speed

Weaknesses:    Bontrager tires : very slippy

Bottom Line:
Overally,very satisfied with this model except the tires.
Not only in the mountain but also in the road, I could feel very excellent for a straight drive.

Feel better than Truth in terms of bobbing in rear shock when go up the hill.

Purchased At:   detail store

Similar Products Used:   Ellsworth Truth

Bike Setup:   17.5'" standard

Submitted by Alberto Zamacona a Cross Country Rider from Oaxaca, Mexico

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2007

Strengths:    Great geometry

Weaknesses:    It's falling appart

Bottom Line:
I have had this bike now for three years and I was really happy with it, BUT. The dam thing is falling appart at the seams, literally !!!!. The top tube has craks, fractures, the rear triangle is has several fratures also. It is now at the local aluminum welder and I think I can fix it. But for the price I shouldn't have to do this. I am a thousand miles from where I bought the dam thin so it's kind of dificult to get the waranty.

Favorite Trail:   la carnivora

Purchased At:   Bicimundo

Bike Setup:   Marz Mx w/ETA, race face evolution crank, the rest is XTR.

Submitted by Stephen a Cross Country Rider from hobart tasmania australia

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2007

Strengths:    Fits beautifully,Im only 5ft 9 and the frame and dimensions suit me perfectly, You cant beaat the hydralic brakes, comfy as

Weaknesses:    bontrager tyres

Bottom Line:
Great ride. Smooth adjustable suspension. Climbs like a demon!

Favorite Trail:   Luige

Price Paid:    $1950.00

Purchased At:   kenself cycles hobart tasmania australia

Similar Products Used:   trek fuel 70 cannodale rush

Submitted by Darren a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2006

Strengths:    Awesome geometry - the most comfortable seating posture of any bike I tried...Specialized FSR came close. Smooth shifting, decent (but not stellar) weight.

Weaknesses:    Stock tires suck. That's about it actually...

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike after two years of low-intensity shopping. Finally narrowed it down to the Fuel or a Specialized FSR but the Trek just seemed to fit better...plus I found it on ebay for $800.00 CDN in December of 2004 (it's a 2004 model) so price-wise that couldn't be beat. Overall I'm very pleased with it.

Submitted by Wes Tanner a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake Utah

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2006

Strengths:    The Fuel 80 geometry is awesome for the Larger rider. Good components that are well matched.

Weaknesses:    Stock Pedals, bontrager tires and wheels.

Bottom Line:
@ the weight of 246 and 6'4" I contest that this is the best value to performance ratio. The S Works was nice on descents until sand or shell. The Cannondale had the single post Fork and I thought is looked awesome and was quick to repair to flats, but the fork sucked on the way up it would bounce off rocks and tree stumps favoring the post side. On the third decent from the resort top the fork boot was tearing and leaking oil and the wheel was out of round. The Gary Fisher Cake was nice but the fuel I purchased had Hayes Nine brakes and more better quality components for 310 less.

Favorite Trail:   thieves forest deer valley Utah

Purchased At:   Hyland Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Specialized S Works, Cannondale Prophet, Gary Fisher Cake.

Bike Setup:   21" Frame, Black Platinum with Lockout with Fat Boy spring. Kenda Kinetics Tires

Travel on Reba around 2005 80 vs 100? (trek Fuel 2005)

I was trying to adjust my suspension with SAG tonight and noticed that my Reba has only 80mm of travel instead of the 100mm stated. Is there some kind of removable spacer inside?Read More »

2011 Rockhopper Comp 29er for 2003 TREK Fuel 80?

I just got into mountain biking last week and bought a 20011 Rockhopper comp 29er from my LBS. As I've been reading and watching more and more I think I really want to get a FS bike. The rockhopper is brand new because I just bough it and have only done small trails. I put the bike on craigslist ... Read More »

'05 Trek Fuel 80 Build

finshed up my build the other day...I picked up the Fuel Frame cheap from a friend and pieced it together with some new parts and some I had laying around from other bikes.....here is a little of what I put on it. '05 Fuel 80 Frame Rock Shox Recon fork Chris King Headset Niner Flat Bar Race F ... Read More »

2002 Trek Fuel 80 SLR Complete Bike

A friend is trying to sell me a 2002 Trek Fuel 80 SLR 19.5" complete bike which has a 19.5" frame. Personally, I want a 29er and have been researching quite a bit about it. He's trying to sell it to me for $500. What do you guys think ?!Read More »

Another size help thread. 2005 fuel 80 17.5 actually 16.5? Looking for 2010 help also

I have a 2005 Fuel 80. I don't have any of my records/paperwork. I'm 5-10 and they didn't make 18.5's then so I'm assuming it's a 17.5 and not a 19.5. My question is this: back in 2005 was the 17.5 a 16.5 actual like the new ones are labeled? The reason I ask is this: there's a used 2010 for s ... Read More »