Tomac Revolver XC Full Suspension

4.17/5 (12 Reviews)
Weight : 5.29 lbs

• Modified single-pivot design with optimal shock positioning 3" of super responsive and consistently smooth bump performance
  • Custom double-butted AN-6 heat-treated aluminium frame lightweight rigidity with zero compromise toughness
  • Tomac-signature machined yolks with sealed bearings ultimate stiffness, durability, and performance
  • Manitou Spv 3-way adjust shock technology tunable, stable pedaling platform with minimal energy-robbing pedal kickback

Submitted by pete a Cross Country Rider from mich

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2006

Strengths:    great ride

Weaknesses:    no longer in production

Bottom Line:
great bike,up hill and down hill, I really like this bike, but its a pisser Tomac and ABG fell through,so far, for me the bike has no problems.

Favorite Trail:   any

Similar Products Used:   hard tails

Bike Setup:   xt

Submitted by Jared a Cross Country Rider from Bath, Maine

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2006

Strengths:    Nimble handling, superb climber, unique design.

Weaknesses:    Replacement parts are non-existent, serious chain suck when shifting to front middle chain ring. American Bicycling Group non-supportive.

Bottom Line:
1 Chili for value since once the bushings go this is a very expensive paperweight or doorstop. 3 Chilis overall because you will enjoy riding it until it breaks.

Don't buy this bike: period. I loved riding this bike for the last 18 months. Took it into my LBS to have it tuned for next season and found that they could not get replacement bushings for the rear suspension. Did some checking around and found that nobody has these parts any more. REI is out, American Bicycling Group who distributed the bike was useless, and the new owners of Tomac while very helpful and sympathetic have no plans to support ABG Tomacs for replacement parts. Totally frustrating and disappointing. Made the trip down to Boston to the nearest REI and returned the bike. Three cheers for REI! They took the bike back 18 months after purchase, no questions asked, and gave me a FULL refund! I just ordered a '07 Cannondale Rush 3 and can't wait to get my hands on it.

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   Full XT, Crossmax Enduro, WTB Weirwolf UST, WTB Pure V SLT

Submitted by Don a Cross Country Rider from Denver

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2006

Strengths:    Same as below

Weaknesses:    Durability, and same as below.

Bottom Line:
Finally received a Litespeed Niota AL as a replacement for the broken Revolver. Though it took 2.5 months to get it back, ABG did deliver. They were less than helpfull in determining size, as the Niota Medium is nowhere near the same size as the Revolver Medium. I ended up going with the Medium/Large, which turned out to be perfect. The only drawback would be the standover height being a bit crowded.

REI was exceptional. Not only did they expedite everything within their control, they provided all necesarry additional parts at no charge. No teardown/buildup fees. They even gave me credit for a new fork due to the different frame requirements. All in all, a new frame, and new minute 2. Total cost out of pocket was $100 flat, which was the difference between the two forks. REI did great, ABG performed what should be expected. Given the origional purchase price and new bikes performance, all in all a great deal.

I will provide a review in the Niota AL XT section after a more thorough evaluation.

Purchased At:   REI Denver

Similar Products Used:   Not enough room here

Bike Setup:   xt

Submitted by Don a Cross Country Rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2006

Strengths:    Light, responsive, fast, precise.

Weaknesses:    Build strength, shock setup.

Bottom Line:
I picked this up on closeout at REI as the brand is no longer being made. Initial response is that it is great for what I bought it for, XC endurance races. I took a while to get used to the dual control, but found them usefull once adjusting to them. Still prefer SRAM for its set and forget precision. Ditched the Kenda's immediately. In order to set the SPV on the Swinger 3 way, you have to let all the air out of the main chamber, compress the rear (in order to access the SPV air valve), set the SPV, then reinflate the main. What I pain in the a$$, and I had to find out via much trial and error. This is only a pain until you find the right setting, then it is a moot point.

Well, just finished the 24 hour in the Old Pueblo and was cleaning up the bike to take it in to have the rear shock and rear freewheel looked at. I noticed a paint chip missing on one of the seat tower supports. Closer inspection revealed stress cracks, and the same thing on the other side. Now this bike has been ridden for its intended purpose, and I am a light rider at a whopping 135lbs, so it was a suprise to find this at only the 4 month mark. REI just confirmed that it is cracked, and was non-commital until tomorrow when the lead tech looks at it and contacts Litespeed. I have no idea how this will be taken care of, so the jury is out on that for now. I will update this once everything is resolved. To be honest, I don't want the same frame given how quickly it failed. I have never broken a frame or fork before, and it has me concerned that this happened so fast. That's it for now...middle of the road on the ratings until things come out in the wash.

Misspelled words are complementary.

Favorite Trail:   it's all good

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Many hardtails, Moho CXS, Jamis Dakar, 4-banger, Enduro.

Bike Setup:   Standard XT/Thompson/X Max Enduro/Scareb setup w/ few mods.

Submitted by CP a Racer from Okc, OK

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2005

Strengths:    Light & Stiff, 2470 grams...., simple efficient single pivot, SPV ROCKS if set up right...Gas to ride, soaks up the $hit at Full Cry, Built by Johnny T & Dougie B.

Weaknesses:    Johnny T and Dougie B have yet to get production going again. Some folks don't make the SPV learnin' curve. Some folks think XC bikes should be designed fer huckin....so an all mtn bike this ain't. It's strong in all the ways a thoroughbred should be, and weak in all the ways a thorough bred should be.

Bottom Line:
This bike kicks ass. For an XC bike it shreds. Best described as what one would expect to find in between a C-dale Scalpel and Rush: A bad ass light weight XC ripper. Bottom Line, I'm concerned that this may be the best of a dying breed. Crying shame coz it was arguably the best bang fer buck XC full squisher on the planet.

Purchased At:   ABG

Similar Products Used:   FSR's, NRS's, Phyuels, Scalpels.

Bike Setup:   Ritchy 2x9, Coda 2x9, XTRBB, XTR RD, LX FD, Avid BBDB, SPV..3 way and Platinum, 100mm travel front 80 rear. AM Classic MTB 350 Wheels. Thomson Post, Easton bar/stem Under 25lbs eeezeee

Submitted by jason a Cross Country Rider from vt

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2005

Strengths:    Handling, Fun

Weaknesses:    None really. Paint chips easily

Bottom Line:
I dont know if anyone will even read this because I have heard Tomac is done this year. But here it is anyway:
I rode an 03 revolver for a season and a half until the frame started cracking along the weld on the seat stay. This bike had 3 inches front and back and it worked so beautifully. It felt like it floated through terrain and went in any direction I wanted it to. The folks at American Bicycle Group sent me an 05 replacement frame (good customer service). This bike had a Manitou swinger 3 way and a 4 inch travel option. I discovered, through a lot of trial and error that, the Manitou shock as well as the 4 inch option did not work. For the shock, I didnt like the noises it made and I couldnt seem to find the right place.(When I got it plush and active enough I wanted a lockout for some of the climbs) As for the 4 inch travel option, it doesnt jive with the bike. I guess one would switch to the setting if they were doing lift service or hucking but this is not what the bike was made for. The fact is the bikes handling goes to pot on the 4 inch setting. It handles like a pogo stick. On the three inch setting and the suspension set right (for me its sacrificing a hair of efficiency for "plushness")I cannot imagine a bike that would be more fun to ride.
One more thing Id like to add. Im honored to post a review after "The Old Coot" I love his column in Dirt Rag

Similar Products Used:   Specialized dualies, hardtails, Rock mtn

Bike Setup:   reba fork, cane creek c9 shock, julie disc

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Long Island

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2005

Strengths:    It's hard not to repeat other posts' strengths on the bike; a superlight ride that feels like it wants to work with you to fly XC. Climbs moderate grades(for Long Island) well also. Twitchy in the front end for sure but that doesn't take too long to get used to. Did some road work with it and the saddle proved to be a great help on longer rides. I bought the 2004 from coloradocyclist for $1800 and as of early August they had cut that to $1400. Bike definately has that north of $1800 price feel to it, so I think it's greatest strength is it's price. Absolutely happy with it but it's got some "issues"......

Weaknesses:    Manitou SPV 3-way rear shock virtually impossible to get to with a high pressure air pump. 2 person operation and even then snapped a valve. Cable routing has paint worn to the frame. Will take other poster's advice and get those patches. Little bit of chatter with LX brake/shifters but that can be ignored.

Bottom Line:
Great ride, great value

Favorite Trail:   Stillwell

Purchased At:   coloradocyclist

Similar Products Used:   Giant NRS, Cannondale prophet (yeah, a freeride rig)

Bike Setup:   XT Rear, LX up front. Manitou SPV3 way rear. Avid mech discs

Submitted by Bill Boles a Weekend Warrior from Brockton, MA

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2005

Strengths:    This is the best bike I've ever ridden. It handles both technical and smooth trails with equal equanimity. After less than two hours on the bike I was riding it faster and better than on my old bike.
I should note that mine is a 2005 Revolver, not the 2004 pictured above.

Weaknesses:    I didn't like the tires that came with it, but that's personal preference.

Bottom Line:
I won this bike in the NEMBA/Tomac TrailCare Series raffle. Stock the bike weighed 29 LBS, (exactly the same as my old bike). It came with a fairly middle of the road component spec. With the changes mentioned above it now weighs a little less than 27.
I've got about 20 hours on it so far, and will update this report when I get that up to about 100.
So far I can't believe how good this bike is, nor can I believe how much I've been riding it. 9 times in the last 11 days. LOL

Favorite Trail:   Trail of Tears

Purchased At:   From Tmac

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain ETS & SLayer, Cannondale Jeckyl.

Bike Setup:   Stock, save for a shorter, higher stem, handlebars with more bend and a Mavic Crossmax SL wheels with WTB Mutanoraptor 2.4 tires from my old bike.

Submitted by Live4mtb06 a Cross Country Rider from Singletrack Heaven

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2005

Strengths:    Very Lightweight. Great suspension in front and rear. No bob whatsoever with the Manitou SPV-3 Way rear shock. 80mm Travel all around is great for Michigan cross-country riding. Looks great.

Weaknesses:    Cable routing is terrible. I used Lizard Skins carbon fiber patches to keep frame in good shape from the cable rubbing.

Bottom Line:
The bike is awesome. If looking around for a nice full suspension bike with 80mm travel, then this is the one to get. It ways around 27lbs. and flys down hill and eats them up. It is a very smooth ride with no bobing at all. It is definately an enjoyable ride, and works great for Midwestern trails.

Favorite Trail:   Grubers Grinder

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Blur

Bike Setup:   XT, Mavic 717, Kenda Kharisma UST, Stans No Tubes, Crank Bros. Eggbeater S

Submitted by Kart Horse a Cross Country Rider from Novato, CA

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2005

Strengths:    Light weight, and handles well.

Weaknesses:    Resr Shock.

Bottom Line:
Nice bike, light at a little under 26lbs, but man what a crappy shock. I have never experienced so much pedal bob as with the 3 way. I would recommend, as otherwise I think this bike would be seriously quick, but definitely ditch the Manitou.

Bike Setup:   XTR, Mavic XM823 with some kind of Maxxis 2.0's

Submitted by Patrick a Cross Country Rider from Franklin,tn

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2004

Strengths:    Likes to be ridden fast and inhales moderate downhill. Light!!!

Weaknesses:    The steering is light and bit too quick.

Bottom Line:
This bike is super light and loves to be ridden fast. The steering is a bit light and quick at slower speeds (a bit twitchy), however, at moderate and fast speeds it feels perfect. This is a XC race bike and that is what it feels like. It climbs well, though, you will learn to shift your weight a bit more forward than you would on similar bikes. The travel is smooth and with the SPV shock bobbing is minimal. The travel (3") is perfect for me and the suspension is super efficient. If you want a good XC bike the Revolver is worth taking a look at.I got a killer deal on this bike (2004 & never ridden. MSRP $4500.00) and that was why I purchased this bike, now I'm hooked. I have never seen a Revolver (or any other Tomac bike for that matter!) on the trails and it's a real shame.

Favorite Trail:   Hamilton Creek