Titus Racer-X XC Full Suspension

4.79/5 (53 Reviews)
Weight : 5.30 MSRP : $1599.00

The Racer-X is a Pro-Level Race bike that every rider can enjoy. It is the lightest, fastest, most efficient full suspension bike ever made! For 2004 the Racer-X continues to set the benchmark for all other suspension bikes to follow.

Submitted by Troy Fretwell

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2012

Strengths:    quick handling, light, climbs well, very good quality

Weaknesses:    it is for xc only. Not much good on freeride trails.

Bottom Line:
I have been riding a racer x frame since 2007.
I would say that it is ideal for the epic XC trails in and around the Park City area.
It climbs without any bobbing, corners like its on rails, and eats up the small to mid sized bumps that are typical in the Utah mountains.
Build quality is flawless.
The rx is definitely a cross country bike though. It can't hang/bottoms out on the free ride trails.

Submitted by RetroKlein a Racer

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2012

Strengths:    Climbs and handles amazingly well.
Rp23 fits this bike perfectly
Value

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
I bought this RX1 '08 frame as NOS in January of '12. It was to be my new backup ride. I couldnt find much info on it, but pulled the trigger after reading several positive reviews. I built it up with XT/XTR and lots of close out goodies.
I was blown away on my first ride. The rear suspension has no obvious squish or bobbing, it just worked! I wouldn't even know I was on a full squish if I didn't look down at the linkage moving back and forth. The bike climbs like a goat and handles quick and agile. If I had purchased this frame before my '12 Trek Superfly Carbon 100 I could have saved myself thousands. I'll pick this bike over my others for any high climbing xc course. This isn't a Cush big hit bike. It's an efficient 100mm xc razor.
The only drawback is its weight. 6.5lbs for the frame is a bit porky, but I can live with that.

Favorite Trail:   Pine hill

Purchased At:   Close out online

Similar Products Used:   '12 Trek Superfly 100 carbon elite
'97 Klein Mantra
'95 Klein Adroit 1x8

Bike Setup:   XT cranks, XTR drivetrain, avid bb7, Easton xc1 wheels, Sid race (flexy flexy flex).

Submitted by francisco. galindez a Weekend Warrior from spain

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2011

Bottom Line:

I bought a titus racer x Ti frame (3600$)at BH SPORT in SPAIN in December of 2006, after using my bike during these years, I have discovered a crack of about 1.1” near the head tube.

I took the frame last June 2010 to BH SPORT and they told me that they would deal this matter with TITUS dealer in France.

In October BH told me that Titus will replace the front titaniun frame and repare the rear carbon part(MANUFACTURING FAULT), in January BH said that titus disapeared and On-One will repare the frame for 100 Us$.

After three months of no news I tried to contact BH Sport last week ( I left a message but no news until now)

-I do not know where my frame is.

-I don't know if someone will repare it.

-I don't know if I will recover it.

Purchased At:   BH sport spaiN

Submitted by delphinide a Weekend Warrior from jacksonville, fl

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2011

Strengths:    Quality build, excellent geometry, well designed cross country setup, easy to maintain

Weaknesses:    limited to XC and very specific fork/shock dimensions, lots of moving parts to upkeep (bushings, bearings)

Bottom Line:
I have been riding the Racer X frameset for about 10 years. I have had three different frames, including the Ti, and changed them as my riding style, weight, and finances evolved. I have ridden the Racer X on many of the best trails in the country: Moab, Grand Junction/Fruita, Tsali, Womble/Syllamo, Oak Mtn, Santos, Alafia...and it has performed very well in all of these. Keen in mind you will probably blow a gasket if you huck off anything more than 3-4 feet, but it is a rocket on flowing, twisty, singletrack and climbs like a goat. I had a full XTR set on it about five years ago and it was about 23 pounds. It rides best climbing uphill over roots/death cookies or through serpentous treks (like Tsali) but can definitely handle more technical routes. Very pleased with this bike, and as long as you keep it light, your friends will have trouble keeping up with you. I am currently riding a 2004 frameset, and for 7 years old, it rides like a dream.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   delphinide@yahoo.com

Similar Products Used:   Trek Remedy, Canonndale SuperV 900

Bike Setup:   Magura Durin SL 100mm (formerly Duke Race), Avid BB7, SLX crankset, XT derailleur

Submitted by woodthegreat a Cross Country Rider from LV Nevada

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2010

Strengths:    Handling, Durable [flown head over heels off a mountain, down a hill, and off a separate mountain with no more than a scratched "Titus" sticker, Looks great, Not a major brand [plus for me].

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest, but mine is an aluminum frame with the cheaper components.

Bottom Line:
I have no regrets buying this bike and am glad I did. I will keep this frame forever and just upgrade the components. My build is the lowest end budget build available and I am still stoked. I can blow away some people on WAY more expensive bikes than mine, both up and down the hills.

I never thought I'd be able to afford a new Titus Racer X so when this bad boy popped up on chainlove I jumped on it. One of the best decisions I made. The guys at Titus seem pretty cool as well. I was visiting Tempe and stopped in to buy a jersey, they hooked it up with a tour and some small extras plus a jersey that's not even out yet! Nice company. I will likely always ride Titus now.

Buy the Racer X if you want a great cross country bike that not many other people will have. This is not a downhill 7" travel bruiser. It is a surgeons scalpel.

Cheers!

Favorite Trail:   Bristlecone

Purchased At:   chainlove.com

Similar Products Used:   This is my first non Wal-Mart bike... No comparison.

Bike Setup:   Sram X7. Magura Julie HP brakes. Mountain Sport wheels. Tora fork.

Submitted by NMPhi767 a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2010

Strengths:    Fast, climbs ridiculously well, descends well on technical XC descents, stiff frame, corners like its on rails.

Weaknesses:    Don't be stupid.

Bottom Line:
This bike countersteers like a Ducatti. I love to shove the inside handlebar into a tight corner which makes the rear end drift nicely and this bike shoots you right on through with little loss of momentum. Climbing is top notch. This bike is a killer on fast XC courses and can hold its own on more technical trails.

Favorite Trail:   Holbert

Similar Products Used:   Kona Four (Pedals like crap compared to the Titus)

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi xc fork, Mavic wheels, Kenda Nevegals, King headset, Shimano xt drivetrain.

Submitted by andyggg a Cross Country Rider from Manchester, NH, USA

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2009

Strengths:    Light, responsive, strong, fast.

Bottom Line:
Extremely happy with my choice to go with the racer x. It weighs in at around 24 pounds. This is my first year racing and my first full suspension bike. This bike has built my confidence on descents and technical riding. This thing climbs incredibly also. I was a little skeptical about purchasing a cross country bike for the rough and technical riding that New England is known for but the racer x handles it great and is ridiculously fast on more typical smooth cross country terrain. Rear derailler hanger replacement was a bit expensive. I highly recommend this speed machine!

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   also looked at buying a Yeti ASR, Santa Cruz Superlight and a Turner.

Bike Setup:   Sram X9, Fulcrum Red Metal 3 wheels.

Submitted by zuter8 a Cross Country Rider from Morden, MB, CAN

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2009

Strengths:    Super strong frame. Reasonable weight at 5 pounds. Suspension doesn't bob at all unless you mash the pedals like a mad man. Incredibly stiff rear triangle. Titanium hardware.

Weaknesses:    It draws a crowd!

Bottom Line:
I got this bike because one of the Mountain Bike Action magazine chose it as their personal race bike a few years ago so I figured it must be an awesome ride..and I was NOT disappointed. I raced my old Giant XtC in a race on a sunday, then picked up my frame on the next Thursday, built it up with parts from my XtC on Friday, rode it for the first time on Saturday, and won my next race that Sunday. Wow this is the most fun and fast bike I've ridden in a long time. I notice its a little tougher to climb with because its a little heavier than my hardtail but it makes up for it everywhere else. I can fly through crazy singletrack with ease and easily keep up with guys on 6" AM bikes on the downhills. If you want a light bike that climbs and descends with authority this is one sweet ride.

Favorite Trail:   Big Loeppky

Purchased At:   frame only, Online

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Dakar XCT, Rocky Mountain ETSX, My previous bike was a Giant XtC hardtail.

Bike Setup:   Racer-X frame, Reba race fork, Mavic XC717 rims, XT hubs and brakes, Race Face Deus cranks, X.O shifters and derailleur.

Submitted by Eddie a Weekend Warrior from Houston

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2009

Strengths:    Handling,Climbing,Everything...

Weaknesses:    Pricey,but you get excellent performance

Bottom Line:
I had been out of mtb'ing for awhile.I bought a 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper Fsr Expert but the fit was not right but still a nice bike.Store was having a sale and got a decent deal and excellent customer service.Thomson stem and post are on order as well as an Easton Monkeylite handlebar.Also looking at King disc wheelsets.The bottom line::I am an older rider so I wanted a fullie for the comfort side as well.It eats up tight singletrak even in a size large.Also an excellent climber.This goes without saying but Titus still rocks in customer service.Spoke to Jason and Mark and they treated me as I had known them for years...

Favorite Trail:   Any/All

Purchased At:   Sun&Ski

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Superlite,Ventana El Feugo

Bike Setup:   Stock but parts are on order.Build kit # one

Submitted by sasfish a Cross Country Rider from sydney

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2009

Strengths:    solid branding with good support. Very good at climbing and one always feels like the next gear in speed is just under the surface. The carbon seat stays are funky. Trail candy, Bling

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest. Expensive compared to the big manufactures.
Not the best as all mountain but then again thats not what it was made for.

Bottom Line:
If you want speed the Racer x is your ride.

Favorite Trail:   the dam

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   ellsworth truth,rocky mountain,suger and moots

Bike Setup:   soild xrt group ,magura Durin race forks,ritchey wcs carbon bars and stem,rotor rings,egg beater ti,Chris king headset, stans 355 hope pro 2

Submitted by Spider a Cross Country Rider from S F Bay Area

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2009

Strengths:    Agile, great climber, little bob, superb balance.

Weaknesses:    No motor.

Bottom Line:
The other bikes I've ridden have all had their pluses, but the Racer X is a do-it-all wonder. Less cushy than the 5-inch models, of course, and not as impervious as the 29er, but it screams for rocks, keeps you balanced, bounds down mountains, holds corners, and you don't feel like you're hauling a trailer up the long, steep hills. Still a joy after three years. Reasonably priced, too. A great all-rounder for those who ride on everything from gravelly fire roads to root-and-rock riddled single track.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in El Corte

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Roaring Mouse

Similar Products Used:   Ellsworth Epiphany, Turner 5 spot, Moots YBB, Niner RIP 29er. Okay, they're not THAT similar.

Bike Setup:   XL frame, Fox F-100RLC, Fox RP23, Chris King hubs, Stan's Arch tubeless rims, tires: Kenda Front Panaracer rear, Easton Monkey riser bars, XTR levers, Avid BB7 185 front 160 rear, SRAM XO twist, front and rear derailleurs, XT crank.

Submitted by ComeleR a Racer from Scottsdale, AZ

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2009

Strengths:    This bike is very well built, light weight and fast. The biggest strength is that it feels very comfortable in the sense that as if it knows what you are doing, which line you want to choose. It climbs really well but as importantly, it decents and goes through fast switchbacks well too.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Been riding/racing mountain bikes for 8+ years and cannot imagine a better FS bike. For XC riding/racing, this bike is probably one of the best out there.

Favorite Trail:   McDowell Mtn Reg Park

Purchased At:   direct from Titus

Bike Setup:   Reba fork, XTR cranks, SRAM x9 rear drlr, Avid Juicy 7 brakes, CK headset, DT Swiss 240s hubs with Bontrager Duster rims.

Submitted by moses a Racer from Israel

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2008

Strengths:    Fast going,ultimate climbing,quick responding,"all included".

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
By all means it is probably the ultimate bike I have riden.
The bike respond immediately on any needs-climbing,descending,cornering,accelerating and anything that comes across during riding.I recommend this bike to anyone who looks for a bike that will be a "part of him"-in other words if you understand and accept the meaning of -"what you give is what you get"

Favorite Trail:   All around

Similar Products Used:   Blur,Superlight-Santa Cruz,Mantra Klein

Bike Setup:   Full XTR Fox RL 100
819 rims XTR hubs

Submitted by Jeremy Smithson from UK

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2007

Strengths:    Good weight and balance

Bottom Line:
Manufacturing quality is great. Performance is great. It's early days, but this is probaby going to be the best MTB I've ever owned.

Purchased At:   Richards Bikes

Bike Setup:   Still tuning..

Submitted by Davo a Cross Country Rider from Highlands Ranch, CO

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2007

Strengths:    The Racer X is one of the finest bikes I have every ridden. I spent four months trialing other high-end XC bikes - Ellsworth Truth, Yeti ASR, etc. - to replace my GT i-Drive that I've ridden for 6 years. The Racer X won out. It has a solid design, the frame is stiff, nice features like the carbon rear stays, climbs like a goat, the suspension system with the Fox RP23 and 100 RLC on the front is ouutstanding in eating up rocks and smoothing out even the nastiest technical ride. It is simply a BLAST to ride! On top of that, the anodized finish is great looking. I've only had it three weeks and already have about 100 miles on it - inlcuding an epic of 30 miles and 3300 vertical ft. of climbing. You must try one if you are in the market for one of the finest XC bikes.

Weaknesses:    Expensive - but well worth the investment. Had a little trouble dialing in the front derailleur, but all is tuned now. The Racer X frame has no known drawbacks...

Bottom Line:
This is my dream bike! It holds a line - whether climbing the steepest technical sections or screaming downhill into a tight corner - without diving or wheels breaking loose. The Racer X has given me confidence and improved my bike handling and climbing ability while renewing the thrill of mountain biking for me. For those that think that spending $4K is nuts for a top XC bike (which I was in that category until recently) have not ridden a Racer X. It will improve your riding expereience and as one reviewer reminded me - this is an investment in your health! Thanks to the boys at rbikes for help with selection of the component mix, rapid delivery in pristine condition and help in dialing it in...And special thanks to my wife for the great gift!

Favorite Trail:   Monarch Crest