Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro XC Full Suspension

• Saddle: Specialized BG Rival, Titanium rails
  • Pedals: Shimano M-520 SPD

Submitted by biker620 a Weekend Warrior from Phils

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2011

Strengths:    Brain Suspension, FSR, Geometry

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
the best bike I ever had great suspension and geometry

Favorite Trail:   All Terra Trail San Mateo, Rizal

Purchased At:   Extreem

Bike Setup:   Fox Talas 32 RLC, Shimano XT hubs and Drive train, KMC Gold Chain, Thomson Seatpost and Stem. Magura Louise Disc Brakes.

Submitted by dekoffer a Cross Country Rider from Texas

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2009

Strengths:    Excellent descending capabilities, good climbing capabilities, very little pedal bob even w/the brain wide-open, fairly light-weight, fox talas fork, avid ultimate brakes, & xt and xo drivetrain. Tubeless-ready DT wheelset.

Weaknesses:    In-house stem & bars. In-house seat too wide for my liking, but I planned to put on my old-reliable seat anyway. Thin-grips wear quickly. I'm not a big fan of the S-Works captain control tires. Front tire doesn't grip as well as I'd like in hard turns.

Bottom Line:
Excellent all-around bike. A very capable trail bike that can serve admirably as the occassional xc race bike. If you can only have one mountain bike, then the Stumpy FSR should be among the finalists.

Purchased At:   Bike Town

Similar Products Used:   Stumpy hardtail.

Bike Setup:   2009 Stumpy FSR Pro. Stock except for thomson stem, ritchy wcs bars, fizik gobi seat, and tubeless set up. I bought this off Specialized's blemish list, which is why I was able to get it for $3000.

Submitted by CDA MTBer a Weekend Warrior from CDA, ID USA

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2009

Strengths:    The frame, forks and components are solid and work well together. Climbs like a scalded cat and descends like missle.

Weaknesses:    MSRP Price...who can afford to buy one new? Lucky for me my friend races and works in the LBS and gave me a killer deal on his lightly if even ridden Stumpy.

Bottom Line:
I really like this bike and the set up. It climbs and descends well. It does good on the flats and with the rear shock tuned to trail hard there no bob. It took me awhile to get used to the low bottom bracket which allows the peddles to hit rocks and roots easier. Other than the ultra inflated MSRP of these bikes they ride incrediably well for most everything. I would give this bike 5 flamin chilis but with prices equal to or more than motocross motorcycles I can only give it 3 flamin chilis. Maybe more bikes would sell if manufactures would wake up and smell the coffee.....your bikes are way over priced!!!!! Who can afford to buy one more than say every 10 years?

Favorite Trail:   Many...hmmm

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   used from friend

Similar Products Used:   GT, Jamis, Trek, Intense

Bike Setup:   XTR drive train, king wheelset and head set, thomson stem and seat post, Avid Juicy Carbon brakes, Easton Carbon low rise XC bar, Maxxis High Roller UST 2.3 tires f & r. I have the 2006 frame with a Fox shock and brain in the rear and a 2008 talas RLC 140 upfront.

Submitted by seekfun a Cross Country Rider from Milwaukee, WI

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2009

Strengths:    Refers to 2009 Model - Stumpjumper FSR Pro Frameset:
Light
Strong
Versatile
Highly-tuneable suspension
Fun (isn't this the bottom line?)

Weaknesses:    Cautionary Note: Please watch the routing of your rear brake hose on this frame. The standard length brake hose I received from Avid was too short for the standard routing on this frame (size medium), which would have left too little slack at the bars (to accommodate crashes) and too little slack below the bottom bracket for the suspension to articulate properly. My LBS contacted Avid and they shipped me a longer hose (free). I just had to install the longer hose and bleed the brakes (easy enough to do, but the bleed kit was not free). So please check your setup so you don't hit the trails and either rip a hose free from your lever or caliper. Cheers!

Bottom Line:
I loved my 2006 Stumpy, and I wanted a bike to build up as a winter project... So I put this frame in a work stand in my living room and slowly added the aforementioned parts to it during the winter.

I've been hitting a lot of local singletrack with it lately and am in love. This bike climbs well, descends well at most any speed, sucks up the bumps nicely, and keeps me feeling pretty good even when I put in 20 to 30 miles of singletrack. Compared to my 2006, I notice a BIG difference in the rear suspension, thanks to the Brain. This bike feels much more stiff in the rear when pedaling, but lets go immediately when the terrain asks for it. At high speeds this bike feels every bit as controlled as my non-brain bike did, but I'm definitely not losing energy to suspension bob when pedaling. The Brain is a big hit!

I've heard a few people say this bike can get too light in the front end on steep climbs. On my 2006 model I had a fork with all the adjustable bells and whistles. And I never touched them. So when I built this bike, I consciously bought a simpler fork and took my chances, hoping that 140mm of travel wouldn't be too much to bear on a trail bike. I am not disappointed, in the least. If your bike fits you, you tune your suspension right, stay in an appropriate gear (i.e. use some leg strength), and stay in the cockpit, this bike will climb well for you on steep, rocky, root-covered hills. Whenever I've failed to climb a hill, it's been due to my own weakness, and not because the front end of the bike was floating on me. This thing stays in control.

What kind of rider am I - for comparison?
I'm 5'9", 175 pounds, former BMX/Freestyle guy.
Endurance athlete (never close to the winner's podium, however).
I am aggressive when I'm on my mountain bike (2 broken wrists in 3 years), but I keep the drops on this rig below 3 feet. So if you like to POUND singletrack but don't consider yourself a Downhiller, this review should be relevant.

Favorite Trail:   John Muir Trails

Purchased At:   Johnson's Cycle and

Similar Products Used:   2006 Stumpjumper FSR Expert

Bike Setup:   I bought this as a frameset and built it up:
2009 SJ FSR Pro Frame
Fox Float 32 R Fork - 140mm
Mavic CrossTrails
XT Drivetrain
Specialized S-Works Carbon low-rise bars
Avid Elixir CR brakes
Specialized Eskar Armadillo Tires (I'm using tubes)
Generic Specialized MTB stem
Crank Brothers Egg Beater SL pedals

Submitted by qazokm a Weekend Warrior from Rhode Island, USA

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2009

Strengths:    Amazing climber. Smooth ride. Excellent component set. Light weight. The Brain shock is unbelievable. I don't notice any bobbing while pedaling, but it's smooth once the terrain gets rough.

Weaknesses:    Mine was creaking a little bit when I first started to ride, but my lbs fixed the problem so everything is great now.

Bottom Line:
This is the 2009 version. The bike is amazing! I just upgraded from a hardtail. I knew that I would like this bike, but I didn't realize how much of a difference there would be. My body takes less of a beating and I'm fresher at the end of rides. I clear technical sections faster and with greater ease with this bike, and riding is just more enjoyable. The bike is fast and nimble. It also climbs a lot better than I thought it would. I can make it up climbs faster and easier than I did with my hardtail (this was a big concern of mine).

I was trying to decide between this bike and the new Santa Cruz Blur LT and this bike. The main reason I went with the Stumpy was because I wanted the Brain shock. I read great reviews and I knew I would hardly ever play with a Propedal lever during rides if I got a bike with a Fox RP23 shock. I have no regrets. The Brain is awesome. I don't notice any bob when I'm pedaling, but once the terrain gets rough the suspension kicks in.

The rest of the components are top notch also. The brakes are strong, but not obnoxiously strong. You can operate them easily with one finger. The Fox Talas fork is great also. The adjustability between 100, 120, and 140 mm is helpful. When I know I'm about to start an extended climb, I'll drop it down to 100mm and raise it at the top and I'm good to go. Shifting is crisp and problem free, and the tires give good traction. Just throw on your favorite pedals and you're good to go.

It might take you a few rides to really get your suspension dialed in right, but don't get frustrated. Follow the initial setup guide to set the sag and suspension if you don't know what your preference will be, and then make adjustments as you ride. You'll eventually find settings that work for you, and once you do you'll absolutely love it. I got mine set pretty quickly and I love the bike.

I also want to mention Kevin at the Bike Barn in Whitman, MA. He's the owner and him and his crew of guys working there were great. Very helpful and knowledgeable, so I'd highly recommend visiting them for your next bike purchase if you're close.

As a side note, you can mount this bike on a traditional hitch-mounted bike rack (the ones by Thule and Yakima) without a frame adapter. One arm of the rack supports the top tube and the other arm supports the seat stays (so you have one arm in the front triangle and one in the rear triangle). I prefer carrying the bike this way instead of using a frame adapter.

I'm giving 5 Chilis for value. $4400 MSRP seems expensive, but other bikes with a similar component spec go for around the same price (even more actually). Call around and you can get a good deal. I'm also giving 5 Chilis for overall rating because the bike rocks!

Purchased At:   Bike Barn in Whitman

Similar Products Used:   I was riding a 2005 Gary Fisher Marlin before, so there's really no comparison between the two bikes.

Bike Setup:   Stock with Time ATAC XS Carbon pedals.

Submitted by HK a Cross Country Rider from La Canada Flintridge

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2009

Strengths:    reliable,fits well, stable when speeding down a trail

Weaknesses:    Steep cliumbs the front wonders, it feels like the rear shock really gets pressed, still not sure what is the best set up for the brain,

Bottom Line:
It's a good bike, I servived Mammoth trails not to mention San Gab riel mountains, feels light

Favorite Trail:   El Prieto

Purchased At:   not impressed so "fo

Similar Products Used:   several

Bike Setup:   the pro came with very good components, at the time I was going to spend at least another $600-800 on another bike(titus,blur). But 4K is still lots of money

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Redding Ca USA

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2009

Strengths:    Light, Can be used for many types of riding.

Weaknesses:    The Specialized AFR Brain shock is a POS!!!!

Bottom Line:
Don't waste you money on the Brain Shock. Get the top model with the triad. Perhaps ask to have the price of the shock taken off the price of the bike and get a push shock. The brain shock is VERY harsh in all conditions. OK if you like how a hard tail feels then this could be your bike. But honestly, who buys a full suspension bike to have a hard tail feel, I had an 06 FSR S-Works and got rid of the brain shock and purchased a PUSH RP23. The bike came alive un the downhills but gained tons of traction on the steep climbs. I thought they had made progress on the newer shocks....not to be so. I have the shock off the bike and a PUSH RP23 on the way. Oh, when I sold the 06 S-Works FSR, I gave the PUSH shock to my wife and she loves it....super responcive and plush....VERY NICE.
OK, if you are a cross contry racer this thing may suit you, but there is the Epic. Trail riders stay away from the brain and use yours and get a different bike or swap the shock for something better....not hard to do except the size is funky and only PUSH or Specialized has the right length.

Similar Products Used:   Many

Bike Setup:   Nice

Submitted by sierra blanco a Weekend Warrior from Fort Worth, Tx

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2009

Strengths:    durability, ridability

Weaknesses:    would like to find literature on how to use all the shock/brain adjustments to full capacity

Bottom Line:
I love riding this bike. I race with it, as well as tackle as much technical terrain I can find. It has not dissappointed yet.

I bought it used, and so got it for half of retail. It would be hard to pay full price, but get a good one used, and it's well worth it.

Favorite Trail:   North Shore, Cameron Park

Similar Products Used:   2003 stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   stock, tubeless tires

Submitted by Buck Wiki a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2009

Strengths:    Climbs like a dream.
Provides a confident ride.
Suspension soaks up all I encounter.

Weaknesses:    Took a few rides to start to appreciate (my first full sus).
You need to take a hacksaw to the seat post.
Not cheap.
Saddle is harsh (but light)

Bottom Line:
Get this bike! Beg, borrow or steal the cash required to purchase because you wont be disappointed.
I upgraded from a Giant Alias 2008 hardtail and after my first ride was unsure the Stumpjumper was worth the 5 x premium I had paid for the new bike. But be patient, it takes a few rides to appreciate but you soon realise that the sum of a number of subtle parts make riding this bike awesome. I'm riding with more confidence and it shows as I thrash through familiar trails and ascend climbs that once had me reduced to a wheezing mess.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Mountains or quick Manly Dam

Purchased At:   Avanti Cycles, Chats

Similar Products Used:   Giant Alias 2008 Hard Tail

Bike Setup:   2008 stumpjumper fsr pro

Submitted by srmtbiker79 a Cross Country Rider from Santa Rosa, CA.

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2008

Strengths:    Durable frame, lightwieght for amount of travel, Brain works really well about 5 to 10 clicks out from firm. I ride an XL and it is sub 26 lbs. That's Right. And it still takes a beating.

Weaknesses:    Brain interferes with some brake calipers hose, such as the '08 XT I have on my bike. But, you can work around it.

Bottom Line:
I mean, this is Specialized. They stand behind their product. This is a sweet sweet ride. If you don't like the Brain, I'm sure you can trade it in for a fancy new replacement shock from another company and have it brake down on you and wait a whole year for them to fix it.

Favorite Trail:   Lawndale, Annadel SP

Purchased At:   Secret

Similar Products Used:   2003 S-Works Enduro

Bike Setup:   '07 Stumpjumper FSR Pro frame, Rock Shox Revalation Dual Air Fork (highly recommend), New XT drivetrain, brakes, SRAM XO Der. and shifters, Thomson, Thomson, Thomson, Roval Traverse Wheels (sweet!), SRAM Hollow Pin Chain is Awesome, Easton Carbon XC handlebars.

Submitted by shamo a Cross Country Rider from Spokane, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2008

Strengths:    Bike is amazingly agile for as much suspension as it has. Best all around bike I have ever had. Have raced many 24 races on many bikes, this bike is fast and very forgiving on the body

Weaknesses:    I bought just the frame and put my components on it. Specialized did not design the rear disc to accept XTR because the brain sits directly in the way of the hose routing. Numerous attempts to contact Specialized had no answer for that issue. I finally made my own brass 90 degree fitting

Bottom Line:
This bike does take some dialing in to see where you like the ride with the brain. This is more personal than anything and I have it very stiff for XC riding but when you hit hard it is sooooo forgiving! The bike rails around the trails like a formula one car. It is contrary to what I would think since the cockpit is more upright but the bike really does handle great.
With all the top of the line components I was able to get the bike to 24.3lbs

I give it 4 chilis only because the brake line thing pissed me off.

Favorite Trail:   Mini

Purchased At:   Wheel Sport East

Similar Products Used:   First Specialized anything, previous bikes were Giant NRS carbon Comp and GT Team idrive.

Bike Setup:   All XTR with FSA k-force seat post, FSA bars and American Classic wheel set. Seat is WTB-Devon (biggest piece of !@#$ ever)

Submitted by JBerry a Cross Country Rider from Roanoke, VA

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2008

Strengths:    Extremely durable frame, suitable for a wide range of terrain. Tremendous responsiveness--the brain technology is great and gives me a greater amount of control for changing terrain.

Weaknesses:    Seat post adjustability. Due to the bent frame, the seat can adjust down only so far. I had to cut the seat post to position it correctly for me.

Bottom Line:
This was my first full suspension XC Mtn bike and I couldn't be happier with it. It's light but tough, very forgiving and responsive on the trail. Climbs like a champ.

Favorite Trail:   Ridgeline

Purchased At:   Mole Hill Bikes; Day

Submitted by S-man a Cross Country Rider from pensacola, fl

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2008

Strengths:    Sturdy frame; Great stock components (no need to upgrade); Great versatility; Excellent climbing on grades greater then 60degrees; Brain has great reaction on bumpy terrain.

Weaknesses:    So far, just the fit (getting used to it though). Although I had to get rid of the stock specialized saddle, they really should put a better stock saddle on there high end bikes

Bottom Line:
Great investment! I really enjoy this bike. The stock saddle sucked but everything else is great. I climbed some really steep climbs (60-80 or so degree)first time out on it and the front and rear shocks made it nice. Hit some rocky to smoothe downhill and the shocks (front n rear) performed great. This bike glides over the rocky terrain. This is also a fast bike on the smoothe single track. Had problems cornering in the past on my rockhopper. But the stumpjumper was a breeze! If you are looking for a bike to do it all on, get a stumpjumper.

Purchased At:   Revo Cycles

Similar Products Used:   07Gary Fisher Caliber29 full suspension; 07Specialized Rockhopper hardtail

Bike Setup:   Stock: Fox front shock; XO shifters; XT crank; Candy pedals; ect.....

Submitted by TexasMiniVan Green a Weekend Warrior from Burleson, TX< USA

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2008

Strengths:    rideability!
Loves to be riden, very responsive in technical sections, stable on downhills, climbs like a cheetah!

Weaknesses:    NONE for frame and product integrity.
One white stripe on right hand side has small flakes missing in middle of stripe ... probably a process surface preparation problem.

Bottom Line:
Excellent bike! Took a few rides to dial bike in ... balancing front and rear suspension (previous bike was not this sensitive) but once dialed in ... oH WOW - WHAT A SWEET RIDE!!!! No rear wheel slip on climbs, descends as if on rails, responsive and nimbal in technical sections ... a great all around trail bike!!!! Brain works GREAT ... stiff like hardtail but absorbs everything on the trail.

Favorite Trail:   WOMBLE