Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro Carbon XC Full Suspension

4.74/5 (23 Reviews)

Lighter than most pure cross-country rigs, the Stumpjumper FSR Pro would challenge them on the climbs and leave 'em all behind when the trail points downhill.
  • FACT 8m carbon main triangle and M5 alloy rear triangle with full cartridge bearing pivots provide an amazingly stiff, light, and agile foundation for the perfect trail bike
  • Specialized/Fox Brain rear shock with Brain Fade, remote Trail Tune inertia valve, and adjustable rebound lets riders dial in the perfect blend of pedaling efficiency and bump compliance
  • Specialized Future Shock S140TA fork with tapered carbon steer/crown, 140-115mm adjustable travel, and spike valve damping integrates with the frame's FSR linkage to create the optimal trail experience
  • Lightweight Roval Control Trail EL wheelset, with oversized 28mm end caps and DT Swiss internals and spokes, provides a lightweight platform for climbing and the stiffness you need to dominate the downhills
  • Both 2Bliss Ready, the S-Works Purgatory 2.2" front tire works in concert with The Captain Control 2.0" rear tire to deliver exceptional traction for pinpoint cornering and braking in varied conditions
  • Custom Avid Elixir XO R SL brakes with tool-free reach adjust, alloy backed semi-metallic pads, and carbon blades offer lightweight, power-packed control for speedy runs

Submitted by spencerfrater1 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2012

Strengths:    Light, agile, tough. Rear suspension. Looks

Weaknesses:    Futureshock S140 (suspension fork). Stock tyres. Cost

Bottom Line:
Great looking bike. Handles really well both up and down hills, once you have the suspension set up properly. Turns in great. Goes where you point it. I have the 2011 frame and fork with slightly older components (first frame broke and was replaced free of charge by Specialized).
On the downside it takes ages to get the suspension set up right, and then it can be temperamental, especially the fork. I have the Futureshock with the spike valve. When you hit a launch section the bike doesn't take off like it should - the fork tends to die on you and you end up getting air but landing front wheel first. the number of near death experiences I've had because of this. Once I got the fork dialed so I thought it was OK and that lasted a very pleasing four rides. But then it needed to go in for a service (in order to maintain its 5 year warranty) and when it came back it was useless again. I'm selling it now, and have replaced it with a 2009 Fox Float RL 140mm travel which makes the bike handle superbly. So instead of paying extra $$ for the Pro Carbon or S-Works you may as well get the cheaper model Stumpjumper without the fancy fork.

The carbon fibre frame is awesome though, and together with the rear suspension (and brain) works really well. Components are all well matched and high quality as well. But this bike is not cheap.

Favorite Trail:   Penmachno

Similar Products Used:   Previous Specialized Stumpjumper models

Submitted by dwbiker a Weekend Warrior from marin

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2011

Strengths:    light , decends well , It has good components for money spent . xo seems great , tires are good

Weaknesses:    mushy feeling at pedals esp. uphill when compared to my 5 year old ibis mojo carbon . brain fork and shock do not work as advertised ,the brain idea is specialized hype that sounds good and sells bikes but does not work very well , either have to set up the rear shock or front fork way to stiff for harsh ride or set it up softer and it it bobs . had to have fork oil changed after 5 rides to fix a top out clunk (probably underfilled from factory). bars are too narrow for me .

Bottom Line:
I do not think the high end specialized bikes are in the same league as : Ibis , pivot , turner , santacruz vpp , intense or even giant (trance) with there outdated horst link suspension . the brain shocks and forks do not compensate for an outdated suspension design .that being said the bike decends well and there are lots of great riders out there that ride these bikes and love them , not me . I got suckered again by specialized bikes advertising and the great reviews the magazines give them (i think the magazines give them great reviews because spec. pays for alot of advertising with them)

Favorite Trail:   hairball , solstice

Similar Products Used:   ibis mojo carbon (great all around bike) , specialized enduro 05 (weak up hills great downhill ), nomad (great all around bike) , 01 enduro (good bike for 2001)

Bike Setup:   came stock xo components , brain fork and shock

Submitted by oscarboy a Weekend Warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2011

Strengths:    very strong with little flex looks awesome handles even better

Weaknesses:    takes a little time to tune shocks

Bottom Line:
Fantastic bike all round, light fast strong, goes up well and a demon going down, feels like its on rails, the brain takes all the guess work out once dialed in, retail for it here in NZ is crazy, and could probably never afford 1, if it hadnt been for those great guys at specialized having lifetime warranties on frames id have never experienced it

Purchased At:   Warranty bike

Similar Products Used:   08 stumpjumper comp 09 specialized enduro

Bike Setup:   stock + Kenda nevangal tyres

Submitted by jdmaum1 a Cross Country Rider from Birmingham, AL

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2011

Strengths:    Weight, 2x10, suspension, climbing ability, descending ability, cornering, everything

Bottom Line:
Amazing experience riding the '11 SJ FSR Pro. Solid feel which translates into by far the best feeling I've ever had on singletrack. Im faster than Ive ever been and absolutely love every second on this bike. I dont think I'd want a 29er SJ FSR, maybe a 29er Epic, but this bike is perfect in every way. In my opinion a big improvement over Alum Expert. If you're thinking about this bike vs anything similar get this one, it rocks.

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mtn

Similar Products Used:   SJ FSR Expert ('10)

Bike Setup:   Stock except foam grips and X-King tires

Submitted by mitcho a Weekend Warrior from Slovenia/Europe

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2010

Strengths:    Material and finish quality, durable, no-nonsence parts, frame design

Weaknesses:    a bit heavy for 120mm/4.7in travel (front&rear), very sensitive to shock pressure (sweet spot), fork cartridge and rear shock prone to failure

Bottom Line:
Some minor set-up problems, once you get the shock pressure dialed-in it's no frills from there on. Riding position is a little streched out (I am 6ft, frame size L) and quite high in the front (long head tube), but I had no problems with that even on steepest of climbs. Suspension is very supple, one of if not THE BEST 120mm fork I have ever ridden! In general this bike was very stable and capable descender. On long uphills and out-of-saddle climbs it is not with the best though, because there is always some energy sapping movement in the back even with brain fully 'locked-out'. On the other hand this means you get the best in-set climbing traction on the rear wheel you can imagine.
HAD TO REPLACE fork cartridge 2 times, rear shock 1 time!!!
(Brain function went dead on me). So this means one chilli less for reliabilty reasons in the overall rating.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Epic, Scott Spark, Scott Genius, Specialized SJ FSR 2010 model

Bike Setup:   standard 2009 model

Submitted by goahead a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2009

Strengths:    Looks awesome, light, great climber, great all arounder!

Weaknesses:    Front Brain Fork I am still not used to

Bottom Line:
I am late bloomer when it comes to mountain biking (2007 and age 36). Now I am addicted! After having a titanium plate in my face permenantly due to a serious injury when I began, I just can't stop!
I've owned all Specialized products listed above, including 2009 Epic Expert right before selling. I guess I am getting older, so I got rid of the 09 Epic. It was too stiff of a ride. I never got used to it. My life began with 2006 Stumpy FSR Comp. It was such a great starter bike.
Being addicted to this hobby, I found a great seller at Ebay which I paid $2400 including shipping for this 08 Stumpy Pro Carbon (Whatta deal in my opinion). WOW! I am amazed at this bike! It's light, plush, fast, handles great, looks awesome, climbs awesome! It is everything that I have hoped for! Except one thing that I have minor quibble. That Brain fork, I am still tweaking it. I don't know why, but I am having a tough time getting used to it. Okay it is totally stiff when you pedal, but the shock gets active when you hit a bump. But it's got a tiny delay when it gets active on the first bump. I get annoyed with that.
Other than that, it is absolutely a perfect bike!
I could never pay retail for this thing ($5700). It is the best $2400 I ever spent on! (Of course my wife disagrees).
Will someone please post a detailed 2010 Stumpy Pro Carbon review? I wonder how the all new design feels like. Personally I didn't like the design which copied from 09 Epic rear shock location.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. McDowell Cactus Cup

Purchased At:   2008 used Ebay :)

Similar Products Used:   2006 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp, 2007 Epic Marathon, 2009 Epic Expert

Bike Setup:   Stock with Shimano XT M770 Pedals

Submitted by slanard a Cross Country Rider from Silicon Vally, CA

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2009

Strengths:    Balance, engineering, weight, brakes, shifting, and just about everything else.

Weaknesses:    Suspension (hard to tune out bob given longs ups/downs in NorCal riding). Captain 2Bliss tires are light and fast but highly prone to pinch/thorn flats.

Bottom Line:
I damn near died several times after moving to Cali. My hardtail Cannondale simply didn't have enough braking power or performance to handle Bay Area descents. Scars look pretty sweet. So, about a year ago, I not-so-grudgingly opted to switch to full suspension. Conveniently Mike's Bikes was hosting a demo day at Steggs.

Rode a number of high end carbon bikes (couldn't resist and with NO intention of buying) and some middle of the road get-ups. Finally, I jumped on the Stumpy Carbon Pro and my riding life changed instantaneously. The price was a healthy $1000++ over target (bought JUST after launch) but I've yet to sense a second of buyer's remorse for dropping the extra dough. Not sure I can say the same about any other >$1000 purchase in my life.

The Stumpy felt (feels) so much better than other bikes I've ridden. There are solid reviews on MTBR detailing technical advantages but for me, the strongest characteristic comes in its overall balance and feel. Flying up, down, around, and over once-nerve racking obstacles, there's this sense of effortless control. I spent some time riding a Carbon Rush and found it twitchy. I couldn't settle in comfortably, especially during longer climbs, regardless of seat or hand position. The Rocky Mountain Element, by contrast, felt sluggish and reactive. Balance was good at low speed but it failed to inspire confidence at pace. Stumpy tracks straight ahead time and again without then reveals its racing underpinnings when carving up single track or flying downhill. Guess I'd rather drive an M3 than a Ferrari by analogy.

Braking is also exceptional (hardtail has mechanical avids). I literally feel twice as fast on this bike b/c I brake so late into corners and lean so far into turns (rear suspension weight helps here since I’m 190lbs).

It took some time to learns the ins and outs of the suspension settings. Pretty sure I'm still on the 'IN' since I do struggle at times w/ bob under hard acceleration. Other MAJOR complaint comes w/ the tires. It's very love/hate. The last year I've had more flats, including multiple on multiple rides, than the previous five years combined. Hiking miles down some jaw dropping terrain b/c 2nd tube's flat and patch won't hold sucks…sucks a lot. Just switched to Kenda Nevegal 2.1s but can’t yet comment on difference vs. stock Captain 2Bliss.

Bottom line, I LOVE this bike. I’m probably only tapping into 50% of its potential meaning there’s nothing but room to grow as a rider. Thus, it’s worth every penny. OH, and I’ve dropped a good 8 pounds permanently since I ride so much more frequently. Technically, the Stumpy Carbon Pro’s a reasonably priced weight loss program when depreciated over time.

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs, Stevens Canyon, Demo

Purchased At:   Mike's Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F600, Cannondale Carbon Rush 1, Rocky Mountain Element, Trek Fuel EX9

Bike Setup:   Stock less pedals and tires

Submitted by akrs a Weekend Warrior from Bay Area, CA

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2009

Strengths:    Sick handling, geometry / suspension makes you want to roll over EVERYTHING

Weaknesses:    Abolutely none - this bike has it all

Bottom Line:
The AFR does what it is supposed without any fuss, the bike is as confidence inspiring as anything I have ridden. Big fun going up or down

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs - Resolution

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper Expert

Bike Setup:   As it came from the showroom

Submitted by Tregofuzzy a Cross Country Rider from British Columbia

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2009

Strengths:    High quality components, great mix of components, light weight, forgiving to ride.

Weaknesses:    High price, hated the saddle, complicated suspension set up

Bottom Line:
I'm 57 years old have been riding for over 25 years,I never possesed a lot of technical skills but the bike is very forgiving. It compensated for my shortcomings in the skill department. It is definitely the best riding bike I have ever owned. Didn't take a long time for me to feel comfortable riding this bike. Hate dthe saddle could never get used to it, like riding on a board, very happy with the upgrade to the WTB saddle. Still not sure if I have the suspension dialed in right.

Favorite Trail:   Louis Lake Montana

Purchased At:   Sportsman Kalispell

Similar Products Used:   My first full suspension bike, Last ride was Rocky Mtn Altitude

Bike Setup:   stock except for Kenda Nevegal tires and WTB Rocket V SLT saddle

Submitted by willmouat a Weekend Warrior from Berkeley, CA

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2009

Bottom Line:
I agonized over which bike to buy and read every review I could find. For a while, before I test rode any bikes, I even considered a Motobecane because of the parts spec for $2000. But man am I glad that I didn’t buy that bike or any other. I’ve learned that there is so much more to buying a FS mountain bike than the parts spec. What looks good on paper doesn’t necessarily correlate to a sweet bike. I demoed a bunch of bikes, including a $5000 Intense and similar Cannondale, and just jumping on this one even for two minutes I realized it’s just better.

So really, my advice is to ride this bike, even if just in the parking lot. I thought the difference was immediate and big. Then I went on some trails and affirmed my initial suspicions. I feel like this bike is just better in almost every way from all the others I’ve tried.

One last thing - they hype up the "brain" shock, which I think is kind of a non-issue. It's a threshold valve, in that you have to have a hit of great enough magnitude to open the suspension. In reality, I don't think this feature is far better than on other bikes. Buy this bike because of the ride and confidence, not because of the brain shock.

Favorite Trail:   Montebello

Purchased At:   Mike's Bikes

Submitted by mcbenzo a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2008

Strengths:    the brain front and rear is an incredible shock. The set up takes a little time, but man is it nice. all other components are top of the line. Whether it's geometry or set up or shocks the bike just feels right.

Weaknesses:    not crazy about the captain tires. both brain adjusters could be in a more convenient spot

Bottom Line:
up hill, down hill, small drops, twisty single track it does it all well. The bike makes me more confident, period.

Favorite Trail:   Hall, Walker, Apex

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   own: 05 stumpy, trek carbon HT
tested: Enduro, Remedy, SJ 29er, trek 69er

Bike Setup:   stock for now, might upgrade the tires next Spring

Submitted by fernmanus a Cross Country Rider from Sandy, UT

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2008

Strengths:    I like the geometry of this bike. It is a little more laid back than a typical xc bike, yet it climbs like a goat. Like the brain once I figured it out, I hate fiddling with lockouts.

Weaknesses:    The front wheel tacoed on my second ride going off a small drop (18"). White Pine took good care of me and the new rebuilt wheel has been bomber.

Bottom Line:
This bike is perfect for Wasatch Front riding, where you have to earn it to burn it. Feels great on the uphills, yet comfy on the down. My bike weighed 25LB with pedals in a large frame, which is a really nice weight for a bike this plush.

Favorite Trail:   Wasatch Crest

Purchased At:   White Pine Touring

Similar Products Used:   Cannodale Rush, Gary Fisher Hi-Fi

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by whats-his-name a Cross Country Rider from England

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2008

Strengths:    Everything so far. I have a large frame version and am 6 foot - feels natural to ride. Took a little time to get used to all the available adjustments one can make to the forks (low, medium, high; soft, hard) and rear suspension but when set up right it rides exceptionally well! Full confidence in speedy descents and takes foot high 'steps' at speed (i.e., 35-40 mph) without me thinking twice about. Ascents are no problem either with forks adjusted. Only fell off once when bike dug into patch of really soft sand (but what bike doesn't I guess!).

Weaknesses:    Line leading from rear shock to the brain fade prone to rubbing by rear wheel. The line eventually went on mine but whole unit was replaced under warranty. I made sure that the line of the new unit was nowhere near the wheel by using another tie and I readjusted the position (angle) of the brain fade itself to give me more line to play with. Works so far.

Bottom Line:
Excellent ride and handling. Get one if you can afford it, and if you do, watch out for that rear tyre rubbing the hydraulic line of the rear suspension.

Purchased At:   UK

Bike Setup:   Standard. I added Specialized nylon bar-ends and work perfectly for climbing, and rear suspension 'mudguard'. Will opt for some detachable front and rear mudguards at some stage.

Submitted by Dirt Dog a Cross Country Rider from Carefree, USA

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2008

Strengths:    The Fox Talas RLC fork and the Brain rear shock make for a great stable platform ride - pedaling is smooth and efficient on uphills and the suspension soaks up all the bumpy stuff. This bike climbs as fast as my old Titus Racer-X but has 40mm more travel and blows it away on the downhills. Handling is crisp and sure. Awesome bike for long distance rides and races.

Weaknesses:    After 100 miles or so, the chain skipped on the rear cogs when the rear wheel hit a med.-large sized bump while I was pedaling. Replaced the SRAM chain with Shimano and cured the problem.

Bottom Line:
Light, fast, great handling, comfortable. Expensive, but worth it.

Favorite Trail:   Dirt