Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert XC Full Suspension

4.74/5 (53 Reviews)

Submitted by RCOSpeedwagon a Cross Country Rider from Akron Ohio

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2011

Strengths:    Review for 2010 Stumpjumper FSR Expert:
Handles like a dream. The brain suspension really helps when climbing and opens up when I hit the rocks. The bike makes me feel like a better rider, but I give all credit to the bike. This bike will turn the casual rider into an addict.
The S-Works Purgatory and The Captain Control tires grip quite well and roll real fast.

Weaknesses:    Of minor importance:
--The brain will take you about a month to dial in perfectly.
--The stock tubeless rim tape is not very durable.
--The Shimano M660 SLX front derailleur seems to be a low level component for this price point, plus the hardware to mount to the frame is a bit akward to uninstall/reinstall.
--The Specialized Format hollow saddle rails make quite a bit of noise.
--The Specialized waffle lock on grips only lasted one season (650 miles).
Of major concern:
--Within the first few months the pivot point bolt nearest to the cassette would repeatedly come loose. After two visits to the dealer, specialized sent a new set of bolts. This issue has not happened again.
--The Custom DT Swiss 330SL rear hub/free hub has given me the most grief. After a season and a half (apx 800 miles) the free hub failed. Specialized sent a new free hub body and paid for the install. At apx 1100 miles the free hub failed again. Specialized then decided to give me a new DT swiss wheel free of charge, which I consider an upgrade.

Bottom Line:
I would recommend this bike. Even though I've had some issues with the bike, Specialized and my LBS have been cooperative and proactive with solving problems. I have had nothing but top notch service from Specialized for the past ten years.

Favorite Trail:   West Branch

Purchased At:   Eddy's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   2001 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR XC

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by stumphugger a Cross Country Rider from Kelly, WY, USA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2011

Strengths:    Climbing
Pedal bob (lack thereof)
Excellent DH handling
Light weight
XC/AM versatility

Weaknesses:    Slightly lower ground clearance than other bikes I have ridden-have replaced chainrings twice.

Bottom Line:
I believe that, after riding this bike for three years throughout the Southeast and much of Wyoming, I can provide a fair assessment of its quality.

When I purchased the bike, I was deciding between it and an '09 epic, but decided to go with the stumpy because of the longer travel. 120mm is more than enough for most of what I rode in the southeast for my first two years with it, and I'm sure that the epic would have been a better choice for that region, but I really began to appreciate the extra travel once I moved to Wyoming.

Specialized has really hyped their brain technology since its release, and for good reason, as the bike climbs like a goat. I've never had any troubles with pedal bob, and I can ascend better on this bike than on my two hardtails. But, this bike really shines the brightest on the downhill. It handles like a racecar through the tight and fast singletrack found in my area of Wyoming, and it handles rocky technical sections and hucks of 3-4 feet with ease. I have two buddies that ride Fezzari Nebo Peaks, and though I can generally beat them on the uphill, I consistently burn them on the downhill.

Overall, the bike climbs as well as xc bikes with shorter travel, and descends as well as am bikes with longer travel. Not quite xc, not quite am, its just right.

Favorite Trail:   Shadow Mountain

Purchased At:   Indian Cycle (Ridgel

Similar Products Used:   2005 Trek 4500 Hardtail
2006 Stumpjumper Comp Hardtail

Bike Setup:   All stock (2008 model), save for switching out Nobby Nics for The Captain tires.

Submitted by otsdj2012 a Weekend Warrior from Conway, AR

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2011

Strengths:    Fast, very fast. Efficient pedaler and great handling. Descending. Climbing. It does it all!

Weaknesses:    None that i could think of. I know some people have had problems with the stock dt swiss 450sl wheels, but they were light and no problems encountered on my test ride.

Bottom Line:
Having owned and ridden my 2003 jekyll for a while, I was blown away when riding this bike. This thing just shines on flowing or flat singletrack. This thing had scary speed on the descents and flats. Climbing was better than my XC cannondale jekyll. The efficiency and plushness of this machine are two things that really stick in my mind. The Talas is amazing! But this is coming from a guy who rides a low end 2003 lefty fork as well. Bottom line, One ride on this bike was the most fun ride of my entire life. Now it is depressing to ride my 2003 jekyll. This bike begs to be pushed and pushed and ridden hard. When it got pushed i just couldn't stop grinning the entire ride. This will be my future bike one day.

Similar Products Used:   2003 Cannondale Jekyll 600, 2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er. Demoed 2011 Specialized Epic 29er comp.

Bike Setup:   Stock. Dt swiss 450sl wheelset. Sram XO RD, Fox Talas, Avid Elixir CR brakes,

Submitted by kefli a Weekend Warrior from Perth (Australia)

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2011

Strengths:    Light and Nimble. The brain is now reliable. Fox fork is pretty good too.

Weaknesses:    DTswiss 420SL. Factory mounted Shimano deore cassette has chewed through the soft aluminium rear hub body in less than 2000kms. (Specialized answer was "tough luck" :-( a bit harsh for a $4000 bike.

Bottom Line:
Wheelset is pretty weak for an all mountian bike and the cassette and hub are not compatible.

Favorite Trail:   Pile Road - Grizzly

Purchased At:   Wembley Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Specialized enduro (2001 and 2007)

Bike Setup:   Brooks saddle. home made wheels (Hope Pro - NoTube Arch rims).

Submitted by mtb_rider92 a Weekend Warrior from bayarea

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2011

Strengths:    comfy geometry, stiff frame, yet smooth ride, like the smooth & high rolling front hub w/9mm dt swiss rws qr & rear dt swiss 330 sl hubs, much smooth & responsive brain tech than my 05 epic.

Weaknesses:    oem tires not as grippy as fire xc pros or kenda excavators, both of which i'm currently using are equally great tires.
slx front deraillur & cassette at this price?!
oem seat is too hard.
dt swiss x420sl oem wheel need constant trueing (as other reviewers have mentioned here and in other forums) for me after about 2-3 rides. replaced w/ mavic crosstrails no problem after 3 rides so far.
avid elixir cr sl oem leaking fluid at the contact pad adjuster (Avid replaced both braked with retail version no hassle - THX great customer service Avid!)
recently discovered 360 degrees (0.5-1.0mm)gap between the fork crown race and lower head tube. this allowed good amount of dirt and moisture w/c developed some rust on the outside of the sealed bearings. also, lower bearing has a click.
i think this is design flaw but specialize claims this is as per designed to drain any moisture that gets trap in the head tube w/c can cause more issue. i compared w/ trek, cannondale no gap like this, nor have i seen one like it on a mtb in my years of riding. 2011 stumpy's now use FSA headsets w/c does not have this gap. so, is it per design now to trap the moisture in that area now? looks like they're going back on their word.
i think they should admit fault and fix this simple issue.

Bottom Line:
generally speaking it's a good bike, but unfortunately, mixed with some good but lower spec and some sub par components (hate to admit, as some of my friends have warned me).

Similar Products Used:   05 epic

Bike Setup:   stock, mavic crosstrail wheelset,

Submitted by Abs451 a Downhiller from Flagstaff, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2011

Strengths:    For an XC bike it handles downhills fairly well. It is light enough to climb and haul butt when needed, but strong enough to take abuse when expected or unexpected obstacles arise. one can do more with this bike than thought by the specs and first impression. This great XC also comes in XXL. The brain is awesome in my personal opinion and the geometry can't be beat!

Weaknesses:    the rear DT Swiss 420 rim has given out and needed replacement. This might be because of my weight (185 lbs), the condition I bought it in (used), or my style of riding. For most the DT Swiss 420 should be fine.

Bottom Line:
A truly awesome bike that can handle abuse from a 22 year old downhiller. Great climber, descender, and all around bike. Want miles and speed induced fun? Then enjoy the Specialized Stumpjumper Expert!

Favorite Trail:   Wasabi

Purchased At:   Absolute Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Bullit

Bike Setup:   stock with Maxxis 2.5 DH TC tires and Atomlab Pimp light rear hoop.

Submitted by Jim Hike a Weekend Warrior from Aptos, California, USA

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2010

Strengths:    review of 2006 stumpy fsr elite
(for anyone looking to buy this older model full sus. trail bike)
perfect trial bike geometry, balanced, likes to hop over jumps and drops.
great suspension!

Weaknesses:    has a little bob uphill but stays planted...use talas fork for extended steep climbing. Not super light at approx. 29 pounds.
I would think that a stiffer wheelset would make this great bike even better.

Bottom Line:
One of the best ever...still.

Favorite Trail:   Nisene Marks Aptos Creek Fire Trail

Purchased At:   Another Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Blur LT is similar ... but completely different ... I got rid of mine.

Bike Setup:   2006 "expert"

Submitted by G a Weekend Warrior from Nashville, TN

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2010

Strengths:    Great ride, love the fork and suspension and has great adjustability. Brain works well and I like it.

Weaknesses:    Tires & Rims. Rims are always out of true and the tires suck. Half the grip of my Velociraptors and always getting flats. I've tried them and taken them off for the last time. Prefer Shimano shifter as I'm always hitting these with my thumb and shifting automatically.
Changed over from a Fisher, and I do wish the geometry put my weight back a little more. I lose grip easier on steep uphills endo a bit more coming off smaller ledges.

Bottom Line:
I love ths bike! I couple small details (tires & rims) create more maintenance than I would like, but it rides great and I haven't had any major problems.

Favorite Trail:   Hamilton Creek

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale, Fisher, Trek, Giant.

Submitted by mtbctrider a Cross Country Rider from cromwell, ct

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2010

Strengths:    light, fast, major travel, can pedal over rock gardens, best bike I've ever ridden.

Weaknesses:    Triad shock open/pro pedal/lock-out knob swung into lock out mode for some reason.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding a 2007 Stumpy Pro(with Brain)for four seasons over technical, brutal New England trails. Needed a new bike and had a tough time deciding brain or no-brain. Read reviews below and decided to go with no-brain...Couldn't be more satisfied. Spent way less $, and have more control. Open, closed, or Pro. Not kinda-in-open like with the brain, and I cleared every technical climb in the open position. Also, in "open" you can stay seated and pedal hard through rock gardens...not un-weight the saddle waiting for the brain to react making this a much faster bike. I've done both, love the Stumpy but wont go Brain ever again.

Favorite Trail:   Millers Pond

Purchased At:   Berlin Bike

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper Pro, Ellsworth Moment, Giant VT1, Klein Comp.

Submitted by EAnovic a Cross Country Rider from Virginia Beach,VA

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2010

Strengths:    I love this bike! Everything about this bike is good!

Bottom Line:
highly recommended!!!

Favorite Trail:   IPSwitch

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Kona Stinky Primo

Bike Setup:   custom and stock

Submitted by fdmelcher a Cross Country Rider from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2010

Strengths:    Price/component combo, suspension adjustability (front & rear), handling, very fast, smooth bike.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any so far.

Bottom Line:
2010 Stumpy FSR Expert - Climbs like a mountain goat, bombs down descents, handles like its on rails, generally hauls ass and brings it to a quick stop. With the wide range of suspension adjustability it's great on both XC trails and concrete, I've even played around on DJ track some as well, although it's not ideal for this. Bike rocks and at good price for what you get, I think.

Everything about this bike seems extremely well thought out. Best all around bike I've ridden. Props to Specialized.

Purchased At:   West End Bikes

Bike Setup:   Stock with Block 8 platform pedals.

Submitted by tuleman a Cross Country Rider from Hamilton,Ontario,Canada

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2010

Strengths:    it goes up it goes down it corners and it stops it just does all this better than any other if you cant afford this bike do yourself a favor dont test ride it

Weaknesses:    the cable that leads to the brain has a plastic sheild on it and it is spliting little pieces breaking off but this is only cosmetic so im told

Bottom Line:
this bike will make you want to go faster jump higher and go down the steepest downs you can find it is the bike you dream about riding this bike cost me 3400.00 canadian but you cant take it with you

Favorite Trail:   Puslinch Lake

Purchased At:   all the right gears

Similar Products Used:   gt marathon sport 2009

Bike Setup:   x9 sram /avid elixer/ fox talas r 100/120/140mm fork/brain in the back

Submitted by carlben a Cross Country Rider from Evergreen Colorado

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2010

Strengths:    Brain. Period. The components are a good mix. The frame is light and stiff (28.5 lbs) for a stock XL. But being able to ride a bike that you can stand up on like a hardtail the moment you just dropped out a rock garden that it just ate up like a DH bike is pretty cool.

Weaknesses:    Like other reviewers, the SLX cassette and front shifter is kinda cheap. But comparatively to the Yeti ASR 5 build in a similar range the components were way better.

Bottom Line:
For me efficiency with 5+ inch travel were the top criteria. Frankly I didn't really believe the marketing hype about the brain, but (and Specialized didn't give me diddly to way it) it works. Hard tail efficiency with 5.5 inch travel is a lot of fun.

Favorite Trail:   3 sisters/Bergen Peak

Purchased At:   Wheatridge

Similar Products Used:   Yeti 575. Loved the Yeti and demo'd a ASR 5 at red rock. Thought I'd go with another Yeti but the Stumpy efficiency was light years ahead.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by mlx john a Cross Country Rider from Albuquerque, NM

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2010

Strengths:    Travel, Weight, Spec for price, Beautiful, scary fast

Weaknesses:    slx front der/ not really a weakness...works fine easily upgradeable

Bottom Line:
This is a review of my 2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert

I love this bicycle. It is an extremely versatile bike. With the brain shock system combined with the adjustable TALAS fork it can be set up very racer-like (set the fork at 100mm with the brain all the way firm) to fully open trail bike (brain at lowest setting w/ fork at 140mm). I'm running tubeless (the wheels came tubeless ready). I've only ridden the bike for a total of 4 times, and have already dialed the brain settings for particular rides. One particularly technical trail loop here in NM (Coyote trail to Chamisoso) has some pretty techinal climbs and scary technical descents. In the past, some of the climbs were extremely difficult on my Cannondale, but the Stumpjumper cleaned them all quite easily. The technical descents use to be somewhat scary, but now they are just FUN. The Fox TALAS fork is sick. The Avid elixir cr's are excellent, no howling or disc rub. The stock front wheel has a specialized through axle thingamajig, very stiff. It even came with a 2010 SRAM XO rear derailleur. Quite surprising considering that the SRAM XO retails for $220.

Overall, I'm just incredibly happy w/ the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Tunnel/Otero/Sandia Crest