Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert EVO XC Full Suspension

More travel and meatier spec on the EVO allows this Stumpjumper FSR to blur the lines between fast & flowy XC trail and more technical all-mountain riding.

• Custom Fox RP23-S shock features position-sensitive Boost Valve damping, low-speed compression damping with 3-way adjustable "open" and "climbing" settings - meaning, great bump performance and solid climbing efficiency
  • M5 manipulated alloy frame for SJ Evo features slacker HT and lower BB with 145mm of travel, aluminum rocker link, sealed cartridge bearing pivots and ISCG O5 tabs
  • Both 2Bliss Ready, the S-Works Purgatory 2.2" front tire works in concert with the Purgatory Control 2.0" rear tire to deliver exceptional traction for pinpoint cornering and braking in intermediate conditions
  • Fox F150 RL air-sprung alloy fork with 15mm thru-axle, external lockout, and rebound adjust can handle the biggest drops with ease
  • Roval Control AL wheelset, newly revamped for increased stiffness, with butted DT Swiss spokes and rear hub, gives riders more control to power over the bumpy stuff
  • Specialized Command Post is a 3-position adjustable-height seatpost with remote lever for on-the-fly changes to riding position; 125mm travel

Submitted by slower_than_u a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2013

Strengths:    Plush travel. RP23 is very tunable. Propedal lever and lockout on my X-Fusion Velvet transforms this bike into a very acceptable climber. Great deal as leftover from Specialized.

Weaknesses:    Command Post has issues. I had to use carbon assembly paste to keep the saddle from tilting under weight. Rebound response is slow, still playing with air pressure setting. I had two pedal strikes in my first ride with 175mm crank arms. Timing and "focus on smooth" seems to have eliminated that issue.

Bottom Line:
This bike is way better than I am, especially going downhill. I get the feeling that the bike is wondering "is that all you got?" After four seasons on a hardtail 29er, I'm going to have to learn how to ride a bike like this all over again. Every rock is a jump, every root is a berm, nothing seems to shake it except for my lack of talent/courage. No more picking lines hardtail style. And I forgot how well 26ers change direction without that "winding up" sensation delivered by my 29er wheels. I've only got seventy-five miles on it so far but I'm looking forward to many more this summer.

Favorite Trail:   singletrack

Duration Product Used:   75 miles

Similar Products Used:   2006 Iron Horse Mk III Expert

Bike Setup:   Zee 10mm thru rear hub/X9 15mm thru front, both on Flow EX. Older(755) XT brakes with 180/160 ice tech rotors. X-Fusion Velvet RL2 DLA. S-Works Ground Control 2.3 Stan's tubeless. Pro TU Turnix saddle

Submitted by ggilings a Weekend Warrior from Orem, UT

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2012

Strengths:    Geo is spot on for aggressive trail/AM riding. Does pretty much everything well

Weaknesses:    Climbing super steep technical trails (think of the more gnarly sections going UP on moore fun in Fruita) I hit my pedals a few times. After a few adjustments to my riding, pedal strikes went away.

Bottom Line:
I was on the fence between this, the enduro, reign and remedy. I tested these bikes during outerbike in Moab and now have the EVO. This bike is the most versatile bike I have ever ridden. It is lightweight, climbs amazingly well, corners like a DH bike and is so much fun descending! Since I got it, I have taken it on shorter 6-10 mile singletrack loops with a lot of steep, loose climbs and fast rough descents to a 30 mile day in Fruita while we explored the Kokopelli trail system.

This bike does everything well from climbing smoothor rocky XC trails, flats, to gnarly rocky descents. I love the bike more every time I ride it. The rear end and shock work amazingly well together. It smooths out the trail very well, but still able to tackle long dreaded climbs easier than the bikes listed above. The devinci may have pedalled a little better, but small bump sensitivity was not very good compared to the EVO. The rear end on the reign may have been a bit smoother than the EVO descending, but seemed to blow through the travel a lot quicker and not as good climbing as the EVO. I was leaning more towards the enduro for the descending, but the EVO did so well at everything with a minimal difference on the descent I went with it. You do have to pick your lines a little more carefully with the EVO, reign and remedy vs. the enduro, but overall the EVO was my favorite bike in just about all situations.

The Stumpjumper EVO was the best all round bike I have ever ridden! It is just a blast to ride up or down..

Favorite Trail:   The whole enchilada

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   GIant reign, specialized XC, Enduro, Trek Remedy, Devinci Dixon

Bike Setup:   Smaller ring in the front for better climbing, 50mm thompson stem, Answer Pro Taper AM bar with a 2" rise, Kenda nevegal 2.35 front and small block 8 rear. Everything else is stock.

Submitted by Comfortably Numb a Weekend Warrior from Santa Barbara CO

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2011

Strengths:    Everything except the factory rubber and grips. I LOVE this bike it has absolutely brought the thrill back into my MTB game. Specialized nailed it on this one. Climbs great in my opinion once you get used to the 67 degree head-angle, eats the rough stuff up and absolutely screams down hill (that would also be thanks to the head angle). Super forgiving - this bike has bailed me out of trouble on numerous occasions and honestly being an old guy carrying knee and back injuries, I have had to make a conscious effort to SLOW DOWN on this bike. 2x10 shifts like butter and I have got used to climbing with it. Super comfortable and begs to go fast. Fun quotient is off the charts.

Weaknesses:    Stock Specialized tires SUCKED! I was actually bumbed initially because they kept washing out on me and my 04 Kona Coiler w/Kenda 2.35's was more sure-footed in some cases on our west coast trails. Switched to the Stick-E 2.35's and man did the bike come alive! Gained a pound overall still under 30 so who cares. New bigger diameter / softer grips. Cold probably use a solid axel in the rear and perhaps a more tunable fork but I'm not changing either... Bike kicks butt!

Bottom Line:
I'm app. 5-10 180 (200 with all the gear and water) and came from a moto-x motorcycle backround. I still possess and will always have a soft spot in my heart for my 04 Kona free-rider, but it was time for something lighter and more modern. I have a great wife (22 years and running)and she told me this could be my mid-life crisis so I went big in 2011. I recal riding a newer epic down one of my up - downhill rides and I nearly killed myself on the way down (little tires, little brakes, little suspension) which made me realize I will always be an all-mountain guy. So - I looked around, nearly bought an Enduro, looked at the Remedy, then settled on the EVO. No regrets..........

Favorite Trail:   Cannell

Purchased At:   Bicycle Bobs

Similar Products Used:   Kona Coiler DeLux w/XTR and 2.35's, 03 Gary Fisher Sugar.

Bike Setup:   Stock except tires (did I mention the stock ones sucked) and the grips.

Submitted by Greg a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2011

Strengths:    Absolutely bombs downhill compared to my 2010 trance x2 and really not that heavy for that much travel (12.5kg) Tones of grip and the custom rp23 is extremely good. Very good kit, love the command seat post. f 150rl is the last size model to have lockout which really does help climbing especially when you have 6" of super plush fox suspension.

GIves ridiculous confidence and love every second of riding it. After a hard days riding im still in one piece and ready for the next day of riding :)

Weaknesses:    For the price the bike should really have a f 150 rlc fit or something like that.. Having trouble dialing in my suspension as what feels fine at low speed is for spongy and high speed and vice versa, as the need for low and high speed compression adjust seperate.

Bottom Line:
Jumping of a sub 5" bike i always wanted something with more travel so i can hit the bigger stuff and be a lot more aggressive, but still wanted to enjoy my majority of riding which is xc. This bike has given me ridiculous amounts of confidence in every situation. I tear up technical single track that i would usually struggle with and fire trails become much faster and a lot more confident. I find myself hitting the really tricky stuff at much higher speeds and then laughing.

Bike doesn't really struggle going uphill and the 2x10 setup is great along with the command seat post and lockout. lots of grip thanks to the amazing rp23.

As soon as i got on this bike if just felt completely different to everything else i had ridden including the yeti 575 and giant reign. Very hard to explain how it feels but im pretty sure its down to the slack 67° head angle.

Plan on going tubeless soon along with wider tyres and i don't think riding could get much better then this!!

Similar Products Used:   Giant reign / Yeti 575 - tested in street thou.

Bike Setup:   Standard expert setup. 2x 10 sram x9 shifters, x0 r.d. elixir cr sl brakes, sram carbon cranks, specialized command seat post, specialized handlebars, roval wheels and hubs etc..

Buying stumpjumper fsr expert evo 29er

Does anyone have any regrets or would've you got something else after buying this bike?Read More »

Looking for....2012 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Evo 29er XXL

I know it's a long shot, but if anyone knows of one sitting in a shop, please let me know. The 2013 changed components, so really want the 2012.Read More »

Stumpjumper FSR Expert EVO 29er size question

I have an opportunity to get this bike for a nice price but am on the fence on sizing. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to test ride and get fitted for the right size. I'm generally between a large and medium on most bikes at 5' 10" with a longer torso and shorter legs. I've searched the foru ... Read More »

Decision Time: S-Works Stumpjumper FSR or FSR Expert Carbon EVO?

I'm retiring my 2006 Enduro AM rig for something that will climb better and not fight me as much on all the sit and spin trails we have down here in South Florida. I'm 6'6", 215lbs and am gonna stick with 26" this time around. I came from BMX and just don't enjoy the big wheels. So, I test ... Read More »

Which 2013 bicycle is a competitor for the Stumpjumper FSR Expert EVO 29er?

[url=http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/sjfsr/stumpjumperfsrexpertevo29]Specialized Bicycle Components[/url] What other 2013 popular brand 29er bicycle with a mostly carbon frame compares to the SJ FSR Expert EVO? I am getting ready to pull the trigger on one tomorrow and want b ... Read More »