Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp XC Full Suspension

4.53/5 (131 Reviews)

Light on weight but loaded with technology, the Stumpjumper FSR Comp is nimble yet stable, efficient but burly, and ready for virtually any trail.

• Custom Fox Triad II rear shock tackles all trail conditions with its 3-position, on-the-fly adjuster that includes lockout, fully open, and efficient ProPedal settings
  • RockShox Revelation RL 140mm Dual Air fork has Motion Control damping, rebound/compression adjustment, and external lockout for endless rock garden bliss
  • DT Swiss X420SL 24mm-wide rims are sturdy and lightweight - strong enough to handle complex singletrack, yet light enough to make the climb out effortless
  • Both 2Bliss Ready, the S-Works Purgatory 2.2" front tire works in concert with The Captain Control 2.0" rear tire to deliver exceptional traction for pinpoint cornering and braking in varied conditions
  • Avid Elixir R SL lightweight hydraulic disc brakes/levers with alloy backed semi-metallic pads and tool-free reach adjust for superb control and modulation

Submitted by GEODIRT a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2014

Strengths:    Bike is stiff and a blast to ride. Very quiet also.

Weaknesses:    Brakes are nothing special, kind of mushy even after dealer bleed them..

Bottom Line:
This review is for a 2013 26er by a 200lb 48 yr old single track trail rider who's been falling off mountain bikes on a regular basis since around 1989.

I bought this to replace a 2005 Stumpjumper FSR. What a difference! My 05 never felt "flexy" but when riding this it feels really ridged. A few laps at my usual 10 mile XC loop showed quicker lap times with the same effort/heart rate. Not that it really matters... The bike is just plain fun. I was worried the chain guide/dangler would be noisy but that's the case. Because of the guide and the Type 2 derailleur, the bike is very quiet. A big plus IMO. I changed the seat and put a little taller bar on it to fit me better.

Issues -

Brakes are a bit mushy. They work, but the lever feel isn't really that firm unless I "pump" them a time or two. Dealer bleed them and they are a little better but again, nothing special.

Rear hub felt a little loose after a few rides. I was told it wasn't adjustable, however, I took it apart and it is. Snugged it up (had to open an old, thin Park cone wrench with a file) at it seems ok now.

No real complaints. Looks good, rides good. Would buy again.

Favorite Trail:   Single track that isn't muddy...

Duration Product Used:   A little over a year.

Similar Products Used:   Haro hard tail, Trek 9000 (elastomer boinger, been on full suspension ever since!), Manitou FS (1995, with rear suspension like a front fork.Elastomer boinger also!), 2005 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR.

Bike Setup:   WTB seat, Easton bars (15mm higher than stock), old style Specialized BG grips.

Submitted by Jaxem a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2013

Strengths:    -Balance/geometry
-Stock components
-Weight
-3x10 drivetrain (i consider it a plus)

Weaknesses:    -Stock tires
-No command post internal routing like the '12's have

Bottom Line:
I was trying to get something a little bit more all-rounder coming from an 07 enduro comp, and this thing showed up on craigslist with one ride on it. Needless to say, i'm in love; this bike climbs so much better than the enduro, is much easier to throw around, and yet takes the downhill train portions like a champ. I've yet to make it back to Moab with this bike, so i can't speak to how it handles the huge drops that my enduro was champion of. It definitely inspires more confidence and is more forgiving than the enduro too.

All this being said, it's not perfect (at least in stock form). The captain 2.0 tire it comes with is fast, but not grippy at all, it washes out very easily, and the s-works purgatory, while being okay, was unpredictable and was way too fast on the turn in/bite on the corners, nearly threw me once or twice on the first few rides. A set of Bontrager XR4's fixed the washing issues and made the front much more stable, shortening up the stem got the control just perfect. Add a command post and clipless setup and i couldn't be happier.

I haven't missed the extra inch of travel on the fork from my enduro, and the revelation has been great, though i do miss having the climbing setting that took a couple inches out of the front. The triad rear shock is very cushy on full open, and great all-around on pro-pedal. The lockout works well, though with the pro-pedal i don't know that i'll use it much. The brakes have lots of stopping power, haven't heard a peep out of them yet, and the on-the-fly adjustable levers are nice.

Overall this bike gets a 4.7 out of 5 chili's (rounded up to 5) from me, great riding position, very decent stock drivetrain, and confidence inspiring suspension make this a great trail bike, capable of long XC rides, but a sleeper AM bike at the same time. Just set it up for your riding style and it will reward you with some of the best rides of your life.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim, Moab

-Shimano clipless
-Bontrager XR4's (2.35) front and rear

Submitted by Nate B a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2013

Strengths:    Geometry, comfort, weight vs. size. 140mm from a trustworthy Rock Shox Revelation RL

Weaknesses:    Almost $3,000 ?? Price should come with slightly better components out the door. Would be nice for a rear lock out or brain to come on the Comp.

Bottom Line:
This, so far, has been a phenomenal bike to fly down fast dirt trails with good sized drops and fast climbs. The bike handles great in choppy gravel washes and tight rocky patches. The bike makes me ride faster and gives me a feeling of assurance. If you are looking to change your riding style to a full suspension, then I advise at least renting the bike at a shop and give it a spin for the day. You will fall in love with the way it takes a lot of the hits and makes it completely controllable. The Comp model still functions at a level expected of the bike and components at the lower price point.

Favorite Trail:   Bear Claw Poppy

Similar Products Used:   2011 Canondale Rize 5

Submitted by kwsmithphoto

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2013

Strengths:    Bike shown above is an older model, see http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/sjfsr/stumpjumperfsrcomp29 for the current spec and pricing ($3000 MSRP).

Weaknesses:    Tires don't grip very well but they roll well, and the wheels and rims are all tubeless ready. Flexy front fork, grabby brakes at low speeds. Rear suspension could be a little more active.

Bottom Line:
This is an amazing bike. Great for older riders like me who don't have killer reflexes anymore, because if you miss your intended line, chances are the bike will just roll right over what you were trying to miss! Pretty good weight for a 5" travel bike. Stiff frame, climbs pretty well, descends very well. I thought the width and backsweep of the stock handlebar was a bit much (and it was super ugly) so I swapped it out for an Easton Haven carbon bar. The tires work ok in sand and loose soil but have no clue what to do on something like a fire road. The drivetrain is just excellent, finding the right gear is almost telepathic. Overall it's just an awesome all mountain trail bike, highly recommended!

Submitted by Lanvillas

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2013

Strengths:    Fast. Amazing handling in all conditions. Looks amazing. FLAWLESS shifting (unlike any other). Durable.

Weaknesses:    People like to steal this bike

Bottom Line:
My review is of the 2000 Amazing bike. The best bike I have ever ridden. Sadly, it was stolen...

Submitted by Steve

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2013

Strengths:    This bike has a super sturdy and beefy feel. Downhill you'll go through the bumps like a hot knife through butter~almost : ) I really like the sram shifters and cranks~so the powertrain is really good. Also some of these seem to come with the rockshox, but mine came with the Fox Forks thankfully which do a great job.

Weaknesses:    Front brake noise issues are pretty bad~On the first few rides I had to deal with this turkey gobbling sound. Some 100 grit sandpaper on the pads and the front rotor seems to have solved it. The saddle leaves much to be desired. Overall the bike rides heavy, but after a few rides you adjust and will be liking the bike more.

Bottom Line:
This is my first dual suspension bike, so coming from a 97 Rockhopper Comp with about $2k in component upgrades. The FSR is definitely heavier so took me a few rides to adjust to that. Once I got used to the dual suspension differences and adjustments, I wouldn't go back. Definitely plan to lighten the bike up here. Unquesionably will need carbon fiber handlebars, a better seat, and lighter rims....I am very happy with the bike though, and look forward to unleashing its full potential with some upgrades.

Submitted by smokehouse4444 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2013

Strengths:    Tough, plush, solid, handles well

Weaknesses:    not much

Bottom Line:
I have a quick, light, and flickable fully suspended 26er for some stuff, but the 2012 Stumpjumper FSR 29er is my all-around, all-mountain, do everything bike. I have never had a problem with it. It rolls like a plush Cadillac over anything in its path, but still steers well and fairly quick. Climbs way mo' bettah than I can, and can just bomb it on downhill stuff. This is a tough, well put together bike that is a pleasure to ride.

Favorite Trail:   Reimers Ranch, Pace Bend

Purchased At:   Bicycle Sport Shop

Bike Setup:   Just like I bought it.

Submitted by Rockhead

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortably nimble decender and a fantastic climber. I am a larde-ass at 215lbs and this bike feels great. I can ride technical trails for 2 hours and my back feels great at the end. The 29er wheels roll over the worst root sections and rock gardens.

Weaknesses:    Seat is horrible; took 20+rides to get used to it; I had to use my old seat for several first rides. The 33 tooth big ring is too small; I swapped it for a 36 tooth and that is much better. I was out pedalling my gears at 33kph and now I can go to 46kph and still pedal.

Bottom Line:
I am looking forward to swapping out the wheels for faster ; lighter ones and with better bearings. I tried someone elses with upgraded wheels and decided to do the same. The existing ones are still fine;
One thing absolutely for sure; I have a lot more confidence in this bike, because it rolls over everything with ease; technical climbs with loose soil, rock, and roots, the tire stays hooked up. I look forward to rough decents, the stuff that would terrify me in the past. My friends with XC full suspension race bikes are left behind. I always pick a parking area where we have to race downhill back to so that I can take full advantage of the bikes capabilities.

Submitted by shadowsports a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2012

Strengths:    Build quality, Components, Geometry

Weaknesses:    Hubs, Climbing ability on extremely steep terrain

Bottom Line:
My review is of the '11 FSR Comp. This is one of the few bikes I've owned that I didn't feel like I needed to start upgrading after purchase. You get a good component group for the price point. Even the seat is comfortable. The Revelation fork perform well and is nearly as plush as any Fox fork I've used in the past. The rear shock was easy to set up. It soaks up bumps and hits very well. It is very responsive and keeps the rear tire planted for performance and stability.

Like others have mentioned, there is a small tradeoff during steep climps. I have found this easy to overcome with good conditioning and only experience the front wheel coming off the ground (slightly) when super low gearing is used. The geometry of this bike is great. It's design compliments those who prefer to spend the majority of their rides in a more upright body position. This is coupled with good standover height, clearance and reach to the bars when seated. This is likely the most "comfortable to ride" bike I have ever owned. This minimizes fatigue and is important if a days ride exceeds 20 miles.

Favorite Trail:   Nor Cal

Duration Product Used:   1 yr

Purchased At:   GoRide

Similar Products Used:   GT Force

Bike Setup:   Stock with ergo grips

Submitted by dalton

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2012

Strengths:    LIKE THE MOST POWER PACT BIKE EVER

Weaknesses:    I DON'T THANK THERE IS ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
Best bike ever if the bike was me i sure would be proud

Submitted by Fletcher a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2012

Strengths:    great geometry, confidence inspiring, really wonderful suspension setup

Weaknesses:    wheel sets are very weak, especially the specialized hi-lo hubs

Bottom Line:
We rode our Stumpy for three months on relatively technical singletrack in western Montana. The fairly moderate angles (68’head and 70’seat) made this bike easy to jump on and ride with confidence. The FSR suspension is proven to say the least, and does a great job sucking up chatter as well as bigger hits, although some climbing performance is definitely sacrificed. That said, a slightly higher air pressure then the autosag gave us combined with usage of the propedal setting made this bike a strong climber and descender.

The wheels were our only complaint. After only three weeks, we had to warranty both the front and rear hubs. Though Specialized was great in their turnaround with the warranty, we felt as though an all mountain bike needs to come with a stonger set. We also swapped the tires for a 2.4/2.3 setup, but that was more personal preference and riding style than a complaint about the stock tires.

Bottom line is that this bike is a great value that leaves a lot of opportunity for upgrades. It is a comfortable and confidence inspiring ride, and felt great, except for a tiny bit of rear end flex, on the wide variety of trails we sampled. Definitely recommended for those in the market for a good, solid, relatively inexpensive all mountain ride.

Submitted by pillguy8 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2012

Strengths:    Mine is a 2006 model.
design style, curved top tube allows for increased "family jewels" to top tube height. affordability, flexible platform and value, active suspension under braking and pedaling

Weaknesses:    the FSR design has the rear pivot on the chainstay rather than the seat stay which drastically changes how the wheel reacts to pedaling forces. Although better than a standard 4-bar link, the suspension still suffers from pedal bob. The Fox triad Propedal does a decent job of dampening it out, but never completely unless you have it on lockout. Even then, you still get it.
This is why they had to design a shock around the suspension design. This is a very goodt suspension, but it has been superseded by other designs within the last 10 years.
Another problem I noticed, despite adjustments on the shock (rear), I got a lot of jitter on the trail and could never eliminate it completely. Perhaps a Pushed shock would have made some difference, but to me, it should be good out of the factory.

Bottom Line:
Overall, a very nice bike, but it suffers from the design limitations of the frame.

Favorite Trail:   Blankets Creek

Purchased At:   Cycleworks

Similar Products Used:   Giant Trance X2

Bike Setup:   Stock, except Thompson seat post, SRAM X-9 twist grip shifters, WTB seat.

Submitted by Jeff in San Diego

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2012

Strengths:    Great all rounder. Climbs, descents and technical sections are more than capable. I bought the bike new at the end of 2004. Got a great deal on an brand new demo bike that had been sitting in the box all year, size is XL (which was the largest at the time). Came with capable component group and top of the line XTR rear derailleur, which is still shifting crisp and smooth as day one. Bike looks nice, has durable paint and can take a beating.

Weaknesses:    Rear shock and hinge location make it a dirt magnet. Had to replace the rear shock bushing a couple times now.

Bottom Line:
After 8 years I'm thinking about getting a second bike, something with a bit more of all all-mountain purpose. I will definitely consider the new Stumpjumper with more travel (130-150 vs 100mm) and a more relaxed frame geometry.

Submitted by grider12 a Cross Country Rider from El Dorado Hills, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2012

Strengths:    -Amazing descending abilities
-Very good climber
-Specced very well for the price
-Very good suspension

Weaknesses:    -Saddle could be better

Bottom Line:
This is THE bike for this price range. It does what my freeride bike did better, and it is faster than my xc bike so that is a major plus! Took it out on the trails that i usually ride my SX Trail on and it did way better. Cannot believe this bike so far! Love the purgatory tire on the front it is very grippy. I ride light dh to xc races and it has performed amazing in both those categories. Overall no other bike beats this bike for the price.

Favorite Trail:   Whoops Trail, Bend Oregon