Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp Disc 100 XC Full Suspension

4.81/5 (21 Reviews)
MSRP : $2000.00

• Fox Float Triad rear shock
  • External rebound adjust
  • Twin sleeve design for increased volume
  • Compression adjust with lock-out, alloy steerer

Submitted by Powderbearjeff a All Mountain Rider from Mapleton, UT

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2012

Strengths:    Solid, stable feel
plush suspension

Bottom Line:
This bike is the reason I wanted to buy a full-suspension bike in the first place... plush, yet stable; well balanced, fun to ride!

Favorite Trail:   South Fork, Provo, Utah

Purchased At:   private seller

Similar Products Used:   2003 Jamis Dakar XLT (FSR linkage)

Bike Setup:   (stock) Fox Float RL up front, Fox Triad in rear

Submitted by SenorSerioso a Weekend Warrior from Houston, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2011

Strengths:    2007 FSR Comp is the model I have. Solid bike with plenty of growing room for me. X9 is awesome and I love my hydraulic brakes.

Weaknesses:    All bikes have an inherent weakness of being sold with tubes. Go tubeless, it rocks.

Bottom Line:
Sweet ride with plenty of travel for XC riders that can handle jumps, bumps, and single track.

Submitted by steve a Cross Country Rider from christchurch

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2006

Strengths:    The frames handling and speed on any trail you throw at it.

Weaknesses:    Screws in the rear D hanger look weak. No actual problems though.

Bottom Line:
I bought this frame separatly, then built it up with the bits that I had and "wallet emptying" parts I desired. But feck is it a bike and a half.
This bike (in pro-peddle)actually runs flat xc faster than my hardtail. On the first ride I knocked 3 minutes off my fastest time on my local trail and am continuing to beat it. If you add in the speed this bike handles when racing downhill single tracks, then this is one seriously good frame. The lockout even makes cycling uphill tolerable.

Would be 5 and 5, but buying the frame separatly isnt as big a bargain as a complete bike - it just gives you more options!

Purchased At:   Everywhere on the www

Similar Products Used:   1st Softtail built and raced

Bike Setup:   X9 shifters, X9 rear d, XTR front d, Canecreek s8 headset, mavic 717 rims, XT hubs, RS Rebas, FSA megaExo cranks & BB, LX hydraulic discs, SRAM PG990 cassete etc etc

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Vernon, BC Canada

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2006

Strengths:    Great frame geometry for climbing and tight, techical trails. Good component spec for the price, pretty light.

Weaknesses:    LX front derailleur - doesn't shift well under load.

Bottom Line:
Very happy with this bike. It climbs well, descends well and really inspires confidence on rutted and washed out trail descents. The bike takes a line and holds it. The geometry and handling is much more to my liking than the "all mountain" Reign and, to me, the Stumpy feels more nimble than the Trance on tight singletrack.

The Juicy 5 brakes took a while to bed in - they juddered for a while and I was afraid I might have faulty discs but they have now settled down. The propedal setting on the Triad shock is just right for me - no bob on the uphills and very plush over the bumps.

Purchased At:   Sun Country Cycles

Similar Products Used:   This is my first full suspension bike. Test rode several Giant models Trance and Reign (2 and 3), various Gary Fishers and Treks before selecting the Stumpy.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Axiom telescoping seatpost (heavy but gets the saddle down much further than the OEM post)
Time Atac pedals

Submitted by Patrick Terwedo a Racer from Shingle Springs, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2006

Bottom Line:
great bike

Favorite Trail:   Salmon Falls

Purchased At:   Golden Spoke Bicycles

Submitted by Remco a Weekend Warrior from Bend, OR

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2006

Strengths:    Awesome ride. Great Fox fork and rear suspension.

Weaknesses:    None that I have found so far

Bottom Line:
I have used the bike several times now on different trails. It is my very first full suspension bike. My previous bike was hard tail. I have done some good downhill riding and it handles very well. The bike is very good for climbing as well. I have not found any weaknesses yet. Since I am new in the area I often take a wrong turn and end up going uphill for a couple of miles. With this bike it is no problem. I find myself climbing these hills much better then my previous hard tail bike. Adjusting the PSI on the front and rear suspension is very easy. I did a little fine tuning and now it rides incredibly well. I find myself on more challenging trails since this bike can do it all. I am 6'5 and about 210lbs. Biking on the XL frame is no issue at all. Overall I am very happy with the bike and would definitely recommend it to anybody looking for a first time full suspension bike. I purchased this bike at River City Bicycles in Portland, OR and they were very helpful. They told me everything I needed to know about the bike and did not mind me asking 1000 questions. They take their time with you to make sure you feel 100% comfortable with the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Swede Ridge Loop

Purchased At:   River City Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Giant Reign 2, Cannondale Prophet 800

Bike Setup:   All stock

Submitted by Terrance Hunt a Cross Country Rider from Reno, Nv 89506

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2006

Strengths:    Awesome Bike. Smooth downhill, great climber. Lock out on rear shock is great. Front shock is equally good.

Weaknesses:    Specialized seat, seatpost, bars, and stem. Also ditched the headset.

Bottom Line:
This is a sweet bike. Not a bit of hesitation spending the cash. Its smooth and plush, completely satisfied. Very good quality workmanship. I would definitley recommend it if your looking to buy. They only negative is the Specialized parts I have mentioned.

Favorite Trail:   Keystone Canyon, Immigrant

Purchased At:   Sierra Cyclesmith

Similar Products Used:   98 FSR Comp

98 FSR comp

Bike Setup:   07 Stumpjumper Comp frame, Fox float front fork, Triad rear shock, Thompson seatpost and stem, Monkey Lite carbon bars, Terry Fly seat, Chris King heaset, Avid Juicy 5 brakes, Truvativ crank, stock wheelset

Submitted by Josh a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, CO USA

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2006

Strengths:    suspension adjustability, perfect mix of efficiency and travel for trail riding, proven FSR design

Weaknesses:    stock Specialized components (crank, bars, stem, and post) all underspec'd for the price, stock wheelset is junk

Bottom Line:
Love the bike. Working at a shop, I get my pick of just about anything, and I've ridden just about everything. It's far from stock, but why buy a new bike when this frame will outride just about everything coming out anyways? 4" of travel is perfect for trail riding. It's lighter weight (26.2) than my boss's full carbon Trek FuelEX 9.5. The only thing I may ever trade it for would be a Blur, though next year's HiFis from Fisher look pretty interesting...

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe Rim, Sourdough

Purchased At:   Employee Purchase

Similar Products Used:   owned a Trek 8000 (not really comparable), demoed pretty much everything, especially from Trek, Fisher, and CDale

Bike Setup:   Stock Fox Triad rear shock and Float 100RL fork, XTR rear der, XT front der, XT rapid fire shifters, XT M-760 outboard bearing crankset, XT hydraulic discs, Mavic wheelset, Thomson stem and post, Easton MonkeyLite SL bars, Specialized BG Ti saddle, EggBeater Ti

Submitted by spencer johnson a Weekend Warrior from danville, california, america

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2006

Strengths:    wow what can i say about this bike. it has performed so well in the last rides ive gone on. My brother my friend and i went on mount diablo for a little ride down but got lost and had to find our ways back. the stumpjumper was climbing hills that my friends couldn't going faster than every one.this is an awsome all around bike. i only weigh 100 pounds but ive taken it on some mild downhill and i dont feel anything. anyway if you have the money buy this bike.

Weaknesses:    nothing really. my brakes squeek probably because i need to clean my rotors. the seat is not bad everyone says it is but with the nice fox triad in the back i dont even notice the seat its like floating on air.

Bottom Line:
best bike for the price good overall i think this is the best bike in the world buy this bike if you are a extreme downhiller dont get this bike but if yo might climb or descend a mountain on single track stuff buy this bike.

Favorite Trail:   summit trail

Purchased At:   danville bike

Similar Products Used:   i hve used very upgraded kona stinky deeluxes, specialized rockhoppers p1 p2 even a klein martha. the stumpjumper out performed everything except the dirtjumping with the p series or downhilling with the kona stinker. buy this bike
25 out of 10

Bike Setup:   fox triad manitou black juicy fives pretty much stock

Submitted by Jason D a Cross Country Rider from Huntsville, AL

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2006

Strengths:    Sweet suspension feel, i have the specialized stump fsr comp w/ the fox float rl 120, feels real nice! been riding some technical single track and never had any problem w/ traction or hopping, i'll be riding this bike for a while

Weaknesses:    the seat!!! the bars seem a little wide also, might need to shorten them or replace them

Bottom Line:
Best bang for the buck here, it will need some minor upgrades but nothing real major unless something takes a thrashing! i may change the wheels but other than that i love this bike, getting a new seat!! if you are a new rider, don't spend too much money on a bike, unless you have extra money, the base fsr is more than you'll use, i've got a lot of experience on the trail and i don't need all that this bike has to offer, its fun though!

Favorite Trail:   Monte Sano

Purchased At:   Naples Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher KaiTai and Gary Fisher Level Betty FH0

Bike Setup:   Fox Float 120, Fox Triad, XTR, LX

Submitted by Matt Zirbes from Rutland, VT

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2006

Strengths:    Very nice disc brakes, light frame, fully adjustable front shocks, rear suspension locks out. Rides very smooth.

Weaknesses:    The seat sucks. Pedals are mediocre

Bottom Line:
This is my first Full Suspension bike. I'm still getting used to the feel on the trail. I don't seem to get any pogo action from the rear suspension, and the ability to lock it off is awesome for any stretches on paved roads. The front shock is awesome, which dials in quick to the tril conditions you're on. The bike itself glides over most any obsticle, climbs like a champ, and brakes on a dime.

The seat sucks. Very hard and uncomfortable. I bought a new seat after my first ride.

The pedals are so-so. One side is standard, and the other side can clip in. A great idea, but it doesn't work. If you want a standard pedal, the clip in gets in the way if flips to the clip side. If you want to clip in, the standard pedal gets in the way of your shoes if it flips to the standard side. The hybrid sucks. Give me one or the other. I waste 2 or 3 pedal stokes just trying to get my pedals flipped to the correct side, which really sucks when you get started.

Purchased At:   Erik's

Bike Setup:   '05 FSR, Specialized BG comp MTB shoes, Specialized BG seat.

Submitted by Steve Green a Cross Country Rider from Scarborough, N Yorks, UK

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2006

Strengths:    Sorted geometry, Fox Shock, stock components last a decent length of time

Weaknesses:    Manitou Black fork, rear shock gets covered in mud

Bottom Line:
Fantastic all-day bike that's light enough to race on (I compete in Trailquests). The backend is beautiful and plush and the tri-position fox shock does the job. The stock components last well - better than on my last Specialized (A rockhopper) and the Deore Hydraulic Brakes are a huge improvement over the horrible Magura Julies they used to fit (not quite as good as Hope minis though). I never really liked the Manitou Blacks though - they seemed to go staight from being harsh and underdamped to being harsh and overdamped without ever being right. The seals also wore very quickly in the British mud making the front end judder alarmingly under braking. The Marzocchis have transformed the bike, making it feel really balanced. I notice that the latest version comes with fox forks so Specialized may have taken note. The 4 chili rating is for the Manitou - with the Marzocchi its definitely a 5

Favorite Trail:   Ana Cross to Harwood Dale N York Moors

Similar Products Used:   Orange 5, Santa Cruz Heckler

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Marzocchi Marathon XC forks, Shimano XT cranks fitted when old ones wore out

Submitted by Nate a Weekend Warrior from Brisbane

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2006

Strengths:    Its fairly light for a dual suspension bike. Well specced for the price $3200 AUD. Climbs really well. Downhill its awesome.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
Having only ridden this bike about a dozen times I can't fault it. I am still playing around with shock and fork settings and pressures but even so its a dream ride.

The perfect trail bike or XC enduro race bike.

Favorite Trail:   Daisy Hill