Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 100 Womens XC Full Suspension

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)
MSRP : $2000.00

• M4 Manipulated Alloy with Transform monocoque TT
  • Sealed cartridge bearings
  • Twin sleeve design for increased volume
  • High-performance XC wheel

Submitted by Teresa a Weekend Warrior from Black Hawk, SD, USA

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2006

Strengths:    It's goes anywhere and rides well on pretty much anything. I am 5'8 so I usually shouldn't have a problem with bike fit, but I have had many bikes and this is the first that makes me want to ride all day long.

Weaknesses:    Chain keeps dropping off the small ring when shifting. I think it has now tied itself up about 6 times on different rides. I have had it in and out of the several different bike shops and it still does it.

Bottom Line:
After years of trying different bikes, this one finally filled the gap I knew I was missing. Every other bike I have ever had I just never felt comfortable on but this one just fits. I am riding parts of trails that I wouldn't even think of riding before. I especially feel confident on it now that I have finally switched to platform pedals. May lose some performance, but it will be more than made up for with the confidence I now have when I ride. I would recommend this bike to anyone even with the chain issues. The chain issues are what is holding this back from getting a total of 5 Flamin' Chilis.

Purchased At:   Two Wheeler Dealer

Similar Products Used:   GT, Trek, Kona

Bike Setup:   Platform pedals, Chris King Headset, Answer handle bars. The rest is stock.

Submitted by MelanieR a Cross Country Rider from Chandler, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2006

Strengths:    Feels like riding on air! The downhills are exhilarating on this bike, the uphills feel easier to conquer due to the efficiency of the pedal stroke. I am 5'4" with longer legs and shorter torso and the women's specific design is great. I get better leverage and feel more comfortable. This is clearly due to the frame itself, and not due to adjustable components like the stem or seat. The shocks are great - I leave my rear on the smart suspension most of the time as it is good about not decreasing power on the uphills and does great on most flat and downhill terrain. I leave it on full on rocky steep downhills. Also, Specialized holds a patent on its rear suspension design that gives it a smoother and more efficient stroke than other designs.

Weaknesses:    Had some trouble in the beginning breaking in the cables and cranks(breaks weren't crisp, gears shifted on their own), but after a trip or two to the bike shop it is working wonderfully now.

Bottom Line:
I highly recommend this bike, especially to women with a frame like mine (short torso). I have a newfound joy in riding thanks to this bike! I think it's a great deal, too. You can easily pay over $3K for a bike of this caliber with other brands (like Cannondale or Santa Cruz); not only that, you won't find a bike better designed for women.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali, BrysonCity, NC

Purchased At:   Paul's, Greensboro, NC

Similar Products Used:   Used to ride a barracuda hard tail.

Bike Setup:   Stock except pedals.

Submitted by Leianne from Marquette, MI

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2005

Strengths:    For a first time rider with no previous mountain bike experience, this bike is probably overkill for me. My husband rides the Enduro and we also have Specialized road bikes, so my loyalty is here. For me it is a great bike.

Weaknesses:    None that I know of, 'course I wouldn't know one if I say it. Hasn't disappointed me yet.

Bottom Line:
Since I am new to mountain biking I have nothing really to compare this bike to. My previous mountain bike was (is) a ten y/o Rock Hopper, which was only used around town. I have recently joined a women's mountain biking group that rides on Thursday nights here around Marquette, some of the riders are 'hard core' who complimented my choice of bike. I know I don't feel left out on the quality of the bike. My second ride ever was an expert trails up behind Marquette Mountain Ski Area (refer to trail guide for Marquette, Michigan) and although looking down a 600' drop right next to me on a narrow single-track scared the snot out of me, I did feel confident on the bike and what it could do. Like I said above, it is probably too much bike for me, but I plan on riding to it's level.

Purchased At:   LSB

Similar Products Used:   Demoed the Giant Trance 2 and the Trek Fuel EX 7 WSD. Loved the Trance, but wasn't women specific. Didn't feel the same comfort in the cockpit as the Specialized.

Bike Setup:   Stock except swapped out clipless for platform pedals.