Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 100 XC Full Suspension

• Sealed bearing pivots
  • Custom Shimano HollowTech cranks

Submitted by ted twogood a Racer from Salt Lake City

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2007

Strengths:    Specialized is generally a good product

Weaknesses:    Squeeks all the time in the seat, Bolts for the rear shock. Can't adjust Front shock. Cheap suspension. Doesn't handle well at all! HEAVY, doesn't accelerate quickly. Slow response. Just a piss pore bike!

Bottom Line:
This is a piece of CRAP! I am suprised that it got such good reviews. I have been Road racing for 16 years, last year I went MTbiking and loved it. The next day I went out and bought a Mtbike for myself. I ride about 2 times a week in the summer on it and now in Sept after LotoJa 4 times a week. This is a real piece of crap! The bike has squeaked since I have purchased it. The Front shock doesn't feel too responsive and the whole thing is quite a pig. After riding my friends Turner, and a titus this bike just sucks!

Favorite Trail:   Meuller Park

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Sucky Binghams

Similar Products Used:   Titon, Merlin

Submitted by Todd a Cross Country Rider from Jamestown, ND, USA

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2007

Strengths:    Efficient climber - surprized me coming from hard tail. Drive train is very smooth and sure shifting. I really like the ride.

Weaknesses:    Front shock seems to limit the bike's performance - too early to tell about anything else.

Bottom Line:
This bike is my first FSR and am very happy with the upgrade - and as mentioned, am impressed by the efficiency. I love the bike and cannot weight to test is on the MDH in western ND - great XC trail over 100 miles long (PR plug ;-). This may be the key to doing the trail in one day...

Favorite Trail:   Mah Dah Hey

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper (historically road rider)

Bike Setup:   Just as I bought it (non-current 2005) - plan to add a new shock (Fox or other) and disk brakes relatively soon.

Submitted by Jon a Cross Country Rider from edwards, ca

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2006

Strengths:    good all round setup, efficient suspension, decent components.

Weaknesses:    the stock manitou fork leaves something to be desired

Bottom Line:
great bike for the money. does everything i want it to do while being a little more forgiving than an epic and a better value than the FSR-XC. chainsuck was a problem till i installed a chain keeper, now it's all good. only necessary upgrade is the fork. need to get a fox fork to match the rear shock.

Similar Products Used:   specialized epic, FSR-XC.

Bike Setup:   stock with the exception of new seat and grips

Submitted by Ryan Hays a Racer from Riverside, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2006

Strengths:    The geometry climbs like no full suspension I've riden..of course it has lock-out. The 3.5 inches of travel take big drops very well. The Fox/FSR combo does it all. The suspension works well..even when braking. Most of the original components are somewhere in the hills above Hemet, but the frame remains the same. Could keep going....

Weaknesses:    The rear derailer hanger breaks/bends to easy...and that goes for all specialized hangers so buy a couple extras.

Bottom Line:
I will be burried with my Stumpjumper!!!

Favorite Trail:   Transcon, hurkey, san Juan.....

Purchased At:   IE Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Remeber Uni-Vega??? Remeber GT ( Not Sold At WAL-Mart )

Bike Setup:   Fox Float 100mm RLC w/ Float rear lock-out, XT drivetrain, GET THE RHINO LITE REAR WHEEL...trust me. IT makes this XC bike much more of a heavy hitter!

Submitted by gtcaz a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2006

Strengths:    Handles great. FSR works. Fox rear shock is nice. Great value! Adrenaline tires work well.

Weaknesses:    Answer/Manitou shock sprang a leak. Battleship-gray isn't such an eye-catching color. Rear disc has a bit of chatter/shudder.

Bottom Line:
This is my first FS bike and I'm having a great time riding it! I do a lot of riding in very rough, rocky terrain (Tucson Mountain Park) and it's nice not feel beaten up at the end of a long ride. Also, the FS allows me to climb rocky, technical trails well because I can keep the rear tire planted.

I'm 6'1" with a long torso and the XL fits me well. All I did was flip the stem over to lower for a more aggressive position.

I'd feel fine racing this bike and am glad I got it over the Epic for the conditions I ride in. If you ride mostly fire roads, the Epic might be better. For rough stuff but with plenty of XC prowess at a good price, the Stumpy FSR is a kick-butt bike.

Purchased At:   Superblow

Similar Products Used:   HT Stumpy. Fisher Paragon.

Bike Setup:   Stock '05 XL with Juicy 5 disc brakes. I did upgrade the pedals to M540s before I left the shop.

Submitted by Bob C. a Weekend Warrior from Goodyear, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight

Weaknesses:    F$$$ing chainsuck!

Bottom Line:
OK bike. I'm no pro, but I have to admit I'm a bit dissapointed. I've screwed with the settings on the front and rear shocks and the air pressure in the tires. No matter what when the going gets rough it has a tendency to bounce me off the rocks versus going over them. This wasn't a problem on the Kona Stinky (I know thats a huge 8" travel bike, but I actually ran the race track faster on the Kona Stinky that weighs 43lbs versus the Stumpjumper at 29lbs!). The chain suck is terrible! Don't even attempt to pedal when its bouncy, you'll surely suck the chain. Yes it bottoms out easy when pedalling too. Overall, not so happy. Maybe too much trail for too little bike, I don't know..... The components are superb for the price though.

Favorite Trail:   Estrella Mountain Race track

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Kona Stinky

Bike Setup:   Stock off the webpage (XTR R/D, XT Front, Avid brakes, Fox Pro pedal rear shock, etc.)

Submitted by Ben Lewis a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento, Ca

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2005

Strengths:    Rear shock, drivetrain, frame...everything but the fork and brakes. Very well balanced, very good value for the $$$.

Weaknesses:    Fork, brakes and shifters.

Bottom Line:
With the set up now, this is a great ride. Upgraded fork and brakes make for a much more solid ride and with better control. I push myself every time I ride, and I have yet to find the limit if this bike, although I don’t recommend big hits. I’m not sure how many miles I rode this summer, but since I just changed the cassette and chain, and will need tires soon it was quite a bit, and I have had only minor problems, mostly sifting issues gunked cables etc……Specialized did a very good job!

Favorite Trail:   Downieville

Purchased At:   City Bike Works

Similar Products Used:   Giant NRS 1, Kona Dawg Delux

Bike Setup:   Upgraded fork to Fox Float RLT 100, Avid BB7 w/Flack Jacket

Submitted by Me Myself a Weekend Warrior from St. Paul MN USA

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2005

Strengths:    XTR rear der, weight, disk ready hubs, Triad rear shock, and the price.

Weaknesses:    Haven't had it long enough to tell but maybe the front fork.

Bottom Line:
I just got this bike today so I haven't really rode it to much but it seems sweet right now. I'll right a follow up in the spring when I've had a chance to do some trail rideing. Bike on you'all!

Favorite Trail:   Lutsen Mountain bike park

Purchased At:   Bicycle Chain

Similar Products Used:   A very customized Jammis dakar and I've tried a few others.

Bike Setup:   Stock. I'm planing to put a Juicy 5 on the front.

Submitted by Josh a Weekend Warrior from Thomasville, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2005

Strengths:    Drivetrain. XT front and XTR rear. Rear shock lockout is great.

Bottom Line:
This is my first full suspension bike. Coming from a Trek 4500 it is a huge difference. Pedals great! No complaints. I feel like a much better rider on this bike. Riding more than I ever have. $1800 retail and got it for $1300 at year's end. You should buy this if you want a nice XC bike that can take very light freeride.

Favorite Trail:   Country Park

Purchased At:   Paul's Cycling and Fitness

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4500

Bike Setup:   Stock. Soon to have Avid BB7s installed.

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Edwards, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2005

Strengths:    Perfect blend between XC and Trail bikes; Fox Float w/ ProPedal is super smooth; as an engineer, I can honestly say that FSR is the best rear susp technology for transferring the power to the trail; XTR rear derailleur; very comfy saddle; CF headset spacers (if you're into that sort of thing); Manitou Black Elite fork is pretty nice.

Weaknesses:    An air-suspension fork would be better; Specialized painted the brake bosses into the frame on the rear triangle (I broke one of them off...); LX/Deore components outside of the rear derailleur and crankset; 31.8mm handlebar (try finding a good, inexpensive stem for that!); no kickstand (jk).

Bottom Line:
If you don't have a full-suspension bike, but want to get into (rather, on) one, this is the bike for you. Not an all-out XC racer, not a heavier trailbike (a la Enduro); pretty much perfect for riding anything right out of the store. If you're looking for a purebred XC racer, go with a Trek TopFuel or Specialized Epic.

Favorite Trail:   Mosquito Coast - Keystone

Purchased At:   Mountain Sports Outlet

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSRxc Pro; Gary Fisher Sugar; Specialized Enduro

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock - I've swapped the V-brakes out for some mech discs (Hayes MX-1; $80 for the pair, and they're every bit as good as Avid BB7 as long as you get them set up correctly), swapped the stock Mavics for some disc-specific rims, and plopped some Panaracer FireXC Pros on the rims (my fave tire by far).

Submitted by Max a Cross Country Rider from Austin TX

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2005

Strengths:    This is a great bike, the suspension design is unbeatable for a cross country bike, especaily for the price. The fox float works great, especaily in pro pedal. The entire drivetrain is awesome.

Weaknesses:    The only weakness ive found is the front fork, its alright but id like to get a better one sometime down the line, but for the price you still cant beat it

Bottom Line:
Great bike for XC and especaily great for the money!

Favorite Trail:   Greenbelt

Purchased At:   Freewheeling

Similar Products Used:   none, ive only ridden hardtail before this

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Bigfork, MT, USA

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2005

Strengths:    I liked the feel and responsiveness of the ride. The rear shock in pro-pedal was just what I needed. The frame is strong enough to last through a few seasons and offers plenty of room for upgrades

Weaknesses:    The front fork shock was not so hot. It works okay, but honestly I wasn't that taken with it. The fox fork offered on the other specialized fsr's will be my first upgrade, that with the cassette.

Bottom Line:
The bike is a sweet ride regardless of the front fork. I take the bumps in the road with no problems what-so-ever. This is a great XC bike. It can handle some downhill, but this is clearly a XC bike of choice.

Cheers!

Similar Products Used:   Giant NRS1

Bike Setup:   I'm still at the stock level but plan on upgrading soon.

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Richmond VA

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2005

Strengths:    The ride is smooth. I call it the couch.

Weaknesses:    Would have expected slightly better component group for the money.

Bottom Line:
At this pricepoint this was easily the best ride for the money. It's smooth and responsive. I would choose it again if I had it to do over.

Favorite Trail:   Buttermilk