Specialized S-Works Epic XC Full Suspension

4.47/5 (32 Reviews)

No-holds-barred design, engineering, materials, construction, and specifications combine to make the Epic the only dual-suspension bike to win the World Championships.
  • Specialized and Fox blend their brains to develop the FlowControl Mini Brain shock with Brain Fade inertia valve, air spring, and adjustable rebound for World Cup - and local trail - domination
  • Specialized E100 Future Shock fork with 100mm of Brain-regulated travel and rebound adjust is supported by a stiff carbon 1-1/8 to 1.5" crown/steerer assembly for greater steering precision
  • Newly revamped Roval Control SL alloy XC wheelset with OS28 end caps, 142+ spacing, Ti QR, and DT Swiss spokes and internals is insanely stiff, light and durable for greater control and quickness
  • These two world-class and featherlight 2Bliss Ready XC tires work together for maximum speed and control in hardpack or intermediate conditions: S-Works Fast Trak LK 2.0" front, S-Works Renegade 1.9" rear
  • Specialized FACT OSBB carbon crankset with ceramic bearings is paired with a SRAM XX spider and 39/26t rings to create market-leading stiffness-to-weight for the ultimate power transfer
  • Custom Avid XX World Cup R magnesium body brakes feature tool-less reach adjust, alloy-backed pads, and carbon levers with titanium hardware for ultra light and modulated braking power

Submitted by Fred Jorgensen a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2013

Strengths:    Brain! It just works!

Weaknesses:    That the 2009 version is a 26er!

Bottom Line:
Got a 2009 frame and added a Crest 27.5 front wheel and a 120 mm SID fork.
Wow! What a difference! The efficiency of XC, lightweight climbing and sprint, and all mountain
descent. I also have the standard 2009 configured EPIC for comparison, and the hybrid
wheel size makes it a really fun, fast trail bike, but the standard 26 inch version is faster
in pure XC terrain!

Favorite Trail:   PapaBear, Bellingham,WA

Duration Product Used:   2 weeks

Purchased At:   Private

Similar Products Used:   S-Works EPIC 26, Scott Spark Pro 29 RC, Intense Carbine 27.5

Bike Setup:   Large EPIC frame with 26 Roval rear, Stan's Crest 27.5 front, Rock Shox SID 27.5 fork,
Magura Marta Mag brakes, XO shifters/derailleurs, Flat Scott Pilot Bar, SRAM XO crank,
XTR pedals, Gravity Dropper seat post.

Submitted by Ratatoouie a Cross Country Rider from Miami, florida

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2010

Strengths:    Light weight, stiffness, good descender

Weaknesses:    Brain, Brain, Brain!

Bottom Line:
Brain only good in smooth terrain, totally ineficient suspension on technical terrain! Definetly not a great bike for $8000.

Favorite Trail:   Oleta river park

Similar Products Used:   Giant anthem, SC Blur XC, Gt Marathon Team, Trek Top Fuel, Stumpjumper.

Submitted by aaron6614 a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2010

Strengths:    Great bike when it works and isn't cracked.

Weaknesses:    Brain and frame reliability and Specialize's Customer Service/Warranty. Between my 2009 and 2007 Epic S-Works, I have had 7 replacement Brains. My 2009 only had 500 miles and I was on my third Brain when my frame cracked. My frame cracked in two spots (down tube and seat tube) and being the frame is strictly used for XC riding and I'm only 160lb., I found this odd. The down tube could have been caused by a rock flying up, but the seat tube crack was simply a failure in the carbon weave. In the end, after 4 months and little help from the dealer I purchased the bike, Specialized is willing to sell me a crash replacement frame for a bargain price of $2200. I now will have a $10K+ slighly used 2010 S-Works Epic that I cannot wait to sell. I'm actually sad, since I have been a huge fan of Specialized for the past 4 years, but this experience has left a very sour taste in my mouth. In the past 4 months I have sold my 2007 Epic Sworks, 2008 Stumpjumper HT, 2010 Epic 29 Marathon and will be selling my 2009/2010 once I get the frame back from Specialized. I would only recommend this bike if you have lots of money and enjoy dealing with the IRS...I mean Specialized.

Bottom Line:
An Epic Dissapointment!

Favorite Trail:   Mountain Lake Trail

Purchased At:   Spokesman

Similar Products Used:   2007 S-Works Epic

Submitted by fredjjjj a Cross Country Rider from North Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2009

Strengths:    Amazing XC race bike.

Weaknesses:    Major rear shock reliability problem

Bottom Line:
Brain-shock have been replaced 3 times.
Warranty is quick, but definitely a serious
design issue.
Not a product for single bike owners.
When working it's an amazing race bike for
acceleration, light weight, front and rear stiffness,
and active suspension when needed.
The happiness it brings, is well worth the high price!

Favorite Trail:   Death,Diamond&Enduro

Purchased At:   Obsessioin Bikes

Similar Products Used:   S-Works EPIC 2008, 2005, and S-Works Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   2009 EPIC with stock parts except switched
to Specialized Captain tires and added Rase seat post.

Submitted by bikerides4u a Racer from Evans Ga

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2009

Strengths:    Nice and light ! Easy to ride . Minimal Exersion Total ! M.E.T.! Fun to ride ! Bike will not beat you to death . Handles like a Mercedes !

Weaknesses:    Max rotor size on rear 160mm

Bottom Line:
This is an expensive bike but worth every red cent ! These bikes have been used by professional racers for years . But if you got the dough this would burn up the trails and leave your buddies behind ! Up grade this from an already super fast stock and you got a scary scary scary fast lighting fast light as a feather bike ! I like this bike better than any bike I have ridden !

Favorite Trail:   FATS

Purchased At:   Various

Similar Products Used:   Iron Horse Sunday , Stumpy Expert , Scott , Giant XTC II , Rush , Trance , Bullit and Gary Fisher

Bike Setup:   S-Works carbon , Thomson , Big Earl , Formula ORO , XTR , XTR , XTR , XTR

Submitted by badripper a Weekend Warrior from Flora, MS, USA

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2009

Strengths:    Works as advertised, when it is working.

Weaknesses:    Although I have only had this bike for six months and it has less than 500 miles on it, I have had three brain shocks fail on me. These shocks have all failed at the point where the hose for the inertia valve meets with the main shock body. I was previously a huge fan of Specialized and have almost exclusively ridden their brand of bike since 1991. The new Epic has been a surprising disapointment to me. I would not recommend this product to anyone until Specialized gets the kinks worked out of its newly redesigned brain shock.

Bottom Line:
An Epic failure.

Favorite Trail:   TCMBA trails

Purchased At:   Indian Cycle Fitness

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic Comp

Submitted by milesdobson a Weekend Warrior from teddington, middlesex, uk

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2009

Strengths:    awesome speed, incredible rigidity, lightweight

Weaknesses:    squeeling from avid juicy ultimate disc brakes, but thats all at moment

Bottom Line:
The difference in performance from my older Klein set up is simply phenonemal. The tightness of the bike and the workings of the brain shock system, which although I was a little skeptical, I am now in awe of. No requirement to lockout, no need to think of the shock system, 100% transfer of energy into propulsion, it simply works as is intended. Looking forward to seeing if the system has a decent life to it, however all appears robust (and I am no lightweight at 110kgs). Difficult to put a value on a $7000 bike, other than the level of new technology in the S-works supports the cost, IF you can/wish to afford it. Faultless apart from the squeeling brakes.

Favorite Trail:   uk

Purchased At:   specialized concept

Similar Products Used:   2001 klein mantra

Bike Setup:   2009 s-works carbon epic - stock

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from hendersonville, nc

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2007

Strengths:    this is the fastest bike i have ever rode. y0u become one with it. just enough suspension to go very very fast. climbing is incredible especially in rocks due to added traction.

Weaknesses:    too many moving parts but this is my first fully. i havent had the first problem with this bike. there is no weakness to this machine

Bottom Line:
this is the ultimate riding machine-- bar none. the brain works and you dont even realize it. you just go fast as you want. it climbs great and desends equally well. the bike feels like its on rails and tracks like nothing else. the carbon crown of the fork is a great addition since its stiffer than your average noodly sid fork. when i saw this bike i knew i had to have it no matter what the bidding went up to. you can even check it out at photo bucket dot com user bikingbachelor. you cant go wrong with this bike

Favorite Trail:   greenslick at bent creek

Purchased At:   EBAY

Bike Setup:   all new xtr + disks, mavic crossmax, bontranger carbon bar and stem combo, thompson setback setpost, selle italia saddle, fast track 26x2.0 tubeless tires, rock shox sid world cup fork. believe it or not, 24lbs.

Submitted by Yiannis Makris a Cross Country Rider from Athens, Attica, Greece

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2006

Strengths:    Amazing dowhill handling, rides like a good Full Suspension, forgives mistakes to begginers. Great in uphill with perfect raction like Hard Tail. The brain back sock works AMAZINGLY good and after you experiment with the setting of both suspensions there is no way not to adjust it exaclty as you like it or you like to ride !!!

Weaknesses:    a little more heavy than a hardtail but it is more than that it also a Full Suspension

Bottom Line:
This bike is a perfect all around bike (also for serious XC riders. I enjoy it also in trails since the handling is great. If you can allocate the money is a must buy !

Purchased At:   Athens

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Sworks FSR,
Klein Mantra Comp

Bike Setup:   XT derauilers, Rockshox Reba, DT wheels, Onyx hubs, XT hydralic brakes, carbon steating, carbon crankset

Submitted by greg a Racer from Sarasota, Fl

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2006

Strengths:    Excellent race bike. Very fast.

Weaknesses:    Chain suck

Bottom Line:
I have been racing for three years. At the begining of the last race season I purchased the S-Works at Higher Ground on Saturday, the day before my race. Had maybe a half hour on the bike before my race. Then placed third in my class where last year I placed eighth. The only thing I changed was the bike and my training remained the same. Excellent race bike.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali,NC

Purchased At:   Higher Ground Tallahassee

Similar Products Used:   fsr xc pro

Bike Setup:   xt and x.o components. crossmax ust.

Submitted by MOPETIN from Cibao Valley, DOMINCAN REP

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2005

Strengths:    It is everything they say it is in the magazines... Nothing like, at least what I have ridden....

Weaknesses:    None... Still looking,...

Bottom Line:
The the ride is insane... the more you push the dam thing, the it wants... It keeps going... Not beat up after rides, as when I used my trusty ZASKAR. Its bomb proof, and love it... worth EVERY PENNY... When properly set.. it is just simply put... a great ride... My friends in town all agree, it was the best disicion we made to get one. The 2006 are coming, more expensive with more carbon. My is 25.57... Wieght is good... Tires, tubeless that is are heavy... mine a 750 gmrs, plus another 100 something for tire sealeant... I plan to find a way to drop at leat half a pount to get a flat 25, that is my goal. But that half a pound it going to be VERY EXPENSIVE, so it has to be thought out carefully...

Favorite Trail:   La Baja De La Hora

Purchased At:   KALALA IMPORTS

Similar Products Used:   Stunt Jumper, Giants F/S... GT XCR100, and few others F/S from the LBS

Bike Setup:   FULL XTR, 2005 SID, Michelin XCR AT's CROSSMAXX XL NO COMPUTER, FOR GET THE PC and just RIDE...

Submitted by Gregorio Antonio Ramirez Alvarado a Racer from Santo Domingo, Republica Dominicana

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2005

Strengths:    -Excelente en las subidas.
-Lock-Out funciona debidamente.

Weaknesses:    -Muy pesada.
-Hay que cambiar mucho los cables.
-Deberia tener algo de Carbon

Bottom Line:
Si quieren subir bien Rapido Comprenla.
Tengo mas control y escalo y desciendo mucho mas rapido..

Favorite Trail:   Resoli

Shimano XTR Hollowteck II M960 796 grams

TOTAL 26.711 LIBRAS

Submitted by David Bearden a Cross Country Rider from Menlo Park, CA

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2005

Strengths:    Light Weight -- mine was 24.5 lbs. (Medium) off the showroom floor -- I don't know why the reviewer below is quoting 26+. Ride quality and feel. This is very subjective, I know. The Brain works!

Weaknesses:    XTR V-Brakes Suck!!! A little sketchy due to steep head angle.

Bottom Line:
I just finished my second Xterra with this bike and I love it. Yes, this bike rides like a hardtail and is NOT as plush as other full suspension bikes, but that's EXACTLY why I like it. I feel more connected to the bike and the trail with my Epic and this increases my confidence and enjoyment. It climbs better then any other bike I've ridden. Pick a line and it hammers the down hills too. Whether it's a 5 miler or a 25 miler, I don't feel beat up on the trail or at the end of the ride like I did on a hard tail.
I haven't had any mechanicals (knock on wood), so I can't comment on the Brain, shock, etc.
It you're more than just the casual weekend rider, I think you should buy this bike and leave the 5" travel bikes to freeriders and downhillers.

Favorite Trail:   Saratoga Gap

Similar Products Used:   Canondale Prophet, Specialized FSR, Rocky Mtn (didn't like Active Suspension feel)

Bike Setup:   Stock with bar ends. First time I haven't spent hundreds of $$ on upgrades. Maybe lighter wheels and disk brakes for next season.

Submitted by chucky gross a Cross Country Rider from solana beach

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2005

Strengths:    works as advertised. stable, smooth and fun to ride.

Weaknesses:    not sure yet

Bottom Line:
Coming from over 20 years of hardtail riding(sworks HT, merlin, klein), i have to admit I was reluctant to give up bike response, weight and climbing. after a few rides on the epic, i am very stoked with the purchase. the bike, although a bit heavy is fun to ride. others on this site say that it does not compensate for little bumps. i say it DOES. coming off of a HT, this bike smooths everything out. Also, I am not sure if I am riding my normal route faster as I am losing some control on tighter single track turns. i attribute it to either, faster riding on this bike or, as the bike absorbs some energy with a plusher frnt shock (previously I had a sid) the response is slower and I am not used to it yet. I am stil not used to the feel and the control of the full suspension. the bike is indeed heavier. mine comes in around 26.5 lbs. i am not sure how to drop additional weight? any suggestions?
I figure if I keep riding the weight will not matter is it is easier for me to lose 5 lbs than 1 lb on the bike.
I would recommned this bike to any old-schooler coming from a HT. The entire ride is more quiet, not as much ratteling, jolting etc... therefore I think the result is increased speed. the climbing? well I have never been a fast hill climber, unless the climb is very technical. So, the jury is sill out on the long fire-road climbs?

Favorite Trail:   noble