Specialized S-Works Epic Carbon Frame XC Full Suspension

• Headset: 1 1/8" threadless
  • Seat Binder: 34.9mm clamp

Submitted by dude man a Cross Country Rider from Redding

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2008

Strengths:    light, fast. brain shock works

Weaknesses:    brain shock works

Bottom Line:
This thing rocks as a SS. I lost most of my sight about 2 years ago and needed Rear suspension to take the hits I did not see, but I am a XC rider at heart and like to climb. This bike pedals great and descends like a trail bike. The 120mm fork slackens the front about 1 degree and increases the stability a great deal. I tried a 100mm fork first and it was quite squarrely as a race bike should be. But again, I needed stability. I loved riding my SS hardtail but I would not go back, even if I had good vision, after I built this thing up. If you like to climb as much as go like to go down this is a great bike.

Favorite Trail:   nutter butter

Purchased At:   friend

Similar Products Used:   Blur XC

Bike Setup:   Single speed, Fox 32 F120 RLC, Mavic 717/wtb single duty hubs, Easton carban DH 28' bar, juicy 5's.

Submitted by Craig Nadler a Cross Country Rider from Kfar Saba, Israel

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2006

Strengths:    Rides like hardtail but first bump turns it into double suspension. Amazingly light but also amazingly strong. Climbs like a bobcat, fantastic geometry, corners like a cat with claws.

Weaknesses:    Price and lack of good instructions for setting brain fade. Must use trial and error.

Bottom Line:
This bike, from my perspective is the ultimate. I loved my NRS Air and though the Epic carbon is slightly heavier (with my components it weighs in on a scale at 11 kg in large frame) it climbs much better, tracks better, holds turns better and allows me to utilize all the power I have.

The NRS air was incredible but there was slight bob. With the Epic Carbon there is absolutely no bobbing and thus your peddling is completely efficient. I am not a competive rider but I do lots of difficult trails with challenging climbs. This baby has made me into a much better climber and rider in general.

If you have the money you will not regret making the effort to buy this bike. It is very expensive but you definitely get your money's worth. The highest recommendation!

Favorite Trail:   Jerusalem hills

Purchased At:   Shimoni, Kfar Saba

Similar Products Used:   Giant NRS Air (carbon), NRS 2, Haro Extreme 2

Bike Setup:   Took all my XTR components including dual shifters and disc brakes plus Mavic ultra light "S" rims and built with Specialized S-works Epic Carbon frame. Added Fox X Trail tune fork with terralogic (set at 100 cm.) Improvement on Fox RLT without terralogic that is standard.