Specialized FSRxc Comp XC Full Suspension

4.3/5 (54 Reviews)

• Improved suspension performance
  • Lighter Manitou Splice Elite fork
  • Better stopping power and modulation
  • Lighter Adrenaline 2.0 tires with aramid bead

Submitted by LeRiethmiller a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2013

Strengths:    shifts smoothly, brakes work well, front shock.

Weaknesses:    Weight, rear shock.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike off a local seller and could not be much happier. I wanted to get back into mountain biking and the FSRxc comp does what I need. It's been to Fruita, Post Canyon, and Mount Hood in the last three weeks and has held up quite nicely minus the rear derailleur. I had that replaced this week, it was going and needed it. It rides very smoothly in everything I've thrown at it. Climbs well and ripping the descent is a blast.

Favorite Trail:   Peaks trail

Duration Product Used:   Two years

Purchased At:   Local seller

Submitted by MArtinGC a Weekend Warrior from Mexico

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2011

Strengths:    goes downhil just excellent, easy in uphill, looks great..! I love it, its my second bike, but now # 1

Weaknesses:    seat tube is short

Bottom Line:
I was just a Roky with my previeus bike, a hard tail, but just whit these, can take several technique trails, its confortable and ride all day (8 hours), and sill want more. Remember the name is XC, not ALL Mountain or Enduro...

Favorite Trail:   Ajusco

Purchased At:   just the frame,from

Similar Products Used:   Alubike, Norco Scrambler

Bike Setup:   alex rim 32h. Kenda Navegal, Hayes 9, Deore shifters, Tora 302 Rock Shok (repaired), Deore XT rear deralieure, and LX front, LX crank and chain

Submitted by Jason Ross a Weekend Warrior from East Peoria Illinois

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2010

Strengths:    Bike is real sturdy and takes punishment well. Climbs like a champ. Shifting is fluid and automatic. Great components.

Weaknesses:    Front shock is substandard to rear. Freewheel rusted out in 3 months. Just a bit heavier than I wanted.

Bottom Line:
I am rather new to the trails and recently purchased this bike to upgrade my experience from riding a Giant Yukon. Let's just say I now try to get out to the trail a couple of more times a week now since I have this bike. It's great for someone at my level who enjoys casual runs on singletrack.

Favorite Trail:   Farmdale Reservoir

Purchased At:   Little Ade's

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Joshua a Racer from Houston

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2010

Strengths:    Bought the bike 3 days ago. Had my first ride on this beast yesterday. It took everything on the trail like it was childs play. I was doing very stumpy, steep up hills like I was rolling a bowling ball over them. The Juicy breaking system stops on a dime. Tough bike for tough riding. The Rock Shocks(front) and rear suspension X Fusion takes all the pain away once set to the right pressure for the rider. Shifting is smooth like butter. Light enough for catching some serious air and serious speed. Handels great on twisty trails as well. Easy to manuver through anything in your way.

Weaknesses:    NOt a dang thing.

Bottom Line:
I told my wife to move over because this bike is my new girlfriend. I love her. It is by far for the money the best bike your gonna get. Takes everything like a champ on extream trail and mountain riding. Very fun to ride and its super cool looking as well. Just make sure you get the sag in the rear suspension set for your weight and riding style. If you have been debating the debate is over go get it and be happy.

Favorite Trail:   Greenbelt Austin TX

Purchased At:   Daniel Boone

Similar Products Used:   Nothing like it....

Bike Setup:   Spaecialized FSR XC Comp. Avid Juicy 3 disk breaks, Shimano Diore shifters, XFusion and Rock Shox Suspension, Rock Shock Forks, Alex Rims Stout SL, The Captain(Specialized) 2.20 Tires, SLX deraillur.

Submitted by danjocash a Cross Country Rider from Watertown, NY (USA)

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2010

Strengths:    Everything...brakes, shifters, frame, shocks.

Weaknesses:    None so far. The Avid Juicy 3's are a little hard to adjust.

Bottom Line:
I'm in love with this bike. I was worried when I got this bike that it was too big a step up for me, but I've found that the geometry is very forgiving without holding you back from progressing.

CLIMBING - the rapid-fire shifters allow you to dial in the perfect gear ratio and power away when the climb ends. I'm a big guy so I thought that I may bounce around a lot when I stand to pedal uphill, but I don't even notice. This thing climbs like a goat.

DOWNHILL - Perhaps the thing I was most excited about when I got my first full suspension bike. The FSR XC screams down hills and soaks up all the bumps. The geometry allows you to ride comfortably off the back of the seat. The Juicy 3's can bring you to a dead stop no matter how steep the descent. The rear shock adjusts at the flip of a switch, which you can reach while riding, so you can crank up the rebound for the roots and rocks.

TECHNICAL RIDING - Once I got used to the suspension, I was much more comfortable riding the obstacles (catwalks and skinnies or whatever the heck you want to call them). The handle bars are wide enough to give you a good amount of control, but they're narrow enough for slaloming through tree lined single track. Again, being able to reach down and adjust the rebound on your rear shock is sweet. I feel very comfortable throwing the bike around, Specialized did a phenomenal job dialing in the geometry.

SO BOTTOM LINE? - I think this is a good bike for any level of XC rider. More advanced riders could opt for the Pro for better components. The price of this beauty is reasonable enough that even a beginner would be happy. I would recommend this bike for absolutely everyone looking to attack the single track.

Favorite Trail:   Thompson Park

Purchased At:   Black River Adventur

Similar Products Used:   My last bike was an '85 Schwinn Sierra (who needs shocks? oh wait...me!)

Bike Setup:   I have the 2009 FSR XC COMP as is from the LBS

Submitted by Libertas88 a Weekend Warrior from New England

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2010

Strengths:    Light, smooth, responsive, Climbs great, descends like a champ.

Weaknesses:    none so far.

Bottom Line:
This bike is fantastic. Once you get the rear shock dialed in, set up the sag correctly, there is little to no pedal bob at all. Very very responsive, very light. This bike climbs almost as good as my hardtail. The key is to stay in the saddle on the climbs, and it just motors right up. It bombs down hill. Its a xc bike, so plenty of travel in my opinion. This is great bike, but you just have to remember its not an all mountain or freeride. This bike is fast, and it just begs to be ridden that way,carves out the trail. So if your looking for budget friendly bike to ride some fast singletrack, or race with, dont hesitate.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Private Sale

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro

Bike Setup:   Rockshox revalation fork, few component upgrades. Mainly stock.

Submitted by mclaren880 a Weekend Warrior from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2010

Strengths:    Disc Brakes are great, shifting is great.

Weaknesses:    Not meant for a larger person.

Bottom Line:
I should first mention that i am new to mountain biking, so keep that in mind. I'm 6'6", and about 230 lbs, so this bike was possibly going to be too small for me, i knew this from the get go. I started out on a cheat Specialzed Hard Tail (i bought it used for $200), no disc brakes, and bottom of the line components. After that bike, this thing was incredible.

I wanted to get a 29er full suspension, but they started at more than i was looking to pay. So, i got this bike. If i was about 6 inches shorter, and 50 lbs lighter, this would have been a keeper. Unfortunately, at my size, it really gave the bike problems. If i was riding really fast and i hit the front brakes hard, the whole front end would shake. I had it tuned up 3 times by the bike shop i bought it at, and eventually i returned it and got a Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er.

I had the 2009 FSR, and supposedly the shock in that one is SLIGHTLY stronger than the 2010. Again, great bike, if you aren't a larger person. I also should point out that i wasn't doing anything crazy to cause these problems, just riding around my neighborhood.

Purchased At:   Wheatridge Cyclery

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by PD2000 a Weekend Warrior from Dalton, OH, USA

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2010

Strengths:    it's the '08 model. avid juicy brakes are awesome. downhill control is nice, wide handlebars keep it super stable. climbing in the saddle is good. lockout both shocks for short stints on the road. the frame looks sweet too. the "captain" tires didn't look that great but they work good until winter. they're nice and fat, listed at 2.0 they're more like a 2.2 or 2.3. rear shock is good once it's dialed in right with your weight.

Weaknesses:    rear derailer isn't working so good. i had the LBS do a $100 job where they took off everything and put on new cables. after 2 rides it is back to malfunctioning. i can't use biggest 2 cogs on the rear casette so i'm getting stronger. there is a bit of a creak from the seatpost area but it comes and goes. front shock - it works but i don't think i have ever used more than 70% of the travel.

Bottom Line:
i went w/ specialized and i'm happy. the geometry of the bike fits me perfect. i'm 6'2" and the bike is an XL. my cousin has a GF cobia and it feels awkward but the FSR feels great right out of the shop. climbing while standing makes a lot of peddle bob so i try to sit as much as possible. my next bike will be a SS 29er

Favorite Trail:   Mohican State Park

Purchased At:   cross country cycle

Similar Products Used:   my first FS bike.

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by miami6 a Weekend Warrior from miami florida

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2010

Strengths:    it heavy it has basic components shifts on it own sometimes so you could say it has automatic derailers from shimano
spokes on tires are too weak for me 1.8mm is not strong for my taste

Weaknesses:    frame chain stay broke only six months of use spokes on tires are too weak for me 1.8mm is not strong for my taste repaired and replace many had to redo wheels to 2.0 mm

Bottom Line:
its an ok bike my next one will not be a specialized for sure

Favorite Trail:   Oleta , Markham , Amelia

Purchased At:   local specialized de

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Mountainbiker09 a Racer from Cheshire, CT

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2009

Strengths:    tires gripe really good. Rear suspension is amazing the 2007 version. I love it so much more than my old hard tail. So much easier to do downhills.

Weaknesses:    The front suspension bothers me sometimes. Going throw the gnarly sections I don't get the suspension I need. They need to put a Rock Shox Rebe or SID. Tires heavy.

Bottom Line:
I would recommend this bike to any body who wants to get a light, cheap, full suspension bike. Just put some lighter tires and you can climb almost anything. I race at Mt. Snow and the bike works incredibly there!

Favorite Trail:   Brooksvale park, Hamden, CT

Purchased At:   L.L. Bean bike shop

Bike Setup:   All factory but I have Spinergy rims and Mountain king tires.

Submitted by scout_about a Cross Country Rider from Louisville, KY, USA

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2009

Strengths:    Good traction on tires. Hayes hydros are good.

Weaknesses:    The Tora 302 is garbage for the price. Dreailers are poor quality.

Bottom Line:
I just think since Specialized has become so popular the product quality has gone down. It happens to most companies that become this large, but it still sucks. I think in those reviewings their are hard riders and soft riders. I think many of the hard riders push the bike to it's limits and notice any shortcomings very quickly. If you ride it easy it does great. When you push this bike is when you notice it's faults. The Tora 302 is a crappy fork. My girlfriend's Dart 1 performs just as well. Except for the lock out, the 302 is no better than a Dart 1. I feel the dereailer, front and rear has more issues than the NY Times. It is solid on climbs and handles well, as a couple of pluses. I do feel that it is not a terrible bike but you can get a much better product for less from another company.

Favorite Trail:   Breckenridge

Similar Products Used:   GT XCR 5000, KHS HT, Gary Fisher Roscoe 1

Submitted by hmorsi a Cross Country Rider from Cairo, Egypt

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2009

Strengths:    - Excellent frame (performance AND looks)
- Decent component spec
- Handles like a more expensive bike

Weaknesses:    - Faulty Rock Shox Tora 302 fork (search the mtbr forums for threads about this issue). This is specific to the 2008 model only.
- Interrupted seat tube (not a major issue and fixed in 2009 model)

Bottom Line:
Great full-suspension XC/trail bike for the price. Light enough for serious climbing yet solid enough for some hard descending and some aggro riding. The bike took 18+ months of hard riding and general trail abuse (including plenty of crashes) with no complaints.

The frame is the main strength of this bike. A component upgrade can really take the riding quality to a new level.

Favorite Trail:   Wadi Degla

Purchased At:   Bicycle Renaissance,

Similar Products Used:   Various other Specialized mountain bikes.

Bike Setup:   Medium 2008 FSR XC comp stock except for saddle (Selle San Marco Ponza), oversize handlebars, 90mm stem and Shimano M324 pedals.

Submitted by Richard Scott a Cross Country Rider from Rutland, Vermont

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2009

Strengths:    frame, front and rear shocks, fairly light

Weaknesses:    PRICE
80% of the stock components particularly the Front and Rear De-railers - my goodness they are terrible. Brakes are substandard. Nice handle grips, thanks for nothing. The 2-Way Shifter is the pits. Shimano hasn't improved in 20 years.

Bottom Line:
I received this bike as a generous gift and while I may not have paid for it it still pains me that this bike costs $1500. Specialized should be ashamed of themselves as well as bike shops who charge and/or carry such an absurdly priced item. The stock components are almost worthless. The Rear De-railer takes the cake, the Shimano SLX joke. It shifts on its own accord, no matter what the operator wants to do. The best part is going uphill and it'll violently shift up or down by itself sometimes killing momentum so I have to walk the rest of the steep. At these moments I feel like removing the de-railer and burning it, I will replace it next season. The front de-railer isn't much better, if I'm going uphill and shift to the lowest gear sometimes nothing happens - until I'm on level surface! Thanks Specialized and especially Shimano - what garbage.

Your best bet is to buy the frame and outfit it yourself, for 1500 you will a far superior bike than what comes stock, or sub-stock I should say. This is a $900 bike tops so why the 33% premium? Because it says Specialized? Or is it those awesome handle grips that come with it? Or maybe the 2-Way shifter? I had better stock components on a $300 GT back in the day.

On the upside it rides well when it decides to behave itself. It is quite stable downhill.

All in all I think $1500 for this bike is ridiculous, offensive and absurd. As I said Specialized should be ashamed of themselves.

Purchased At:   Bikers Edge, Bristol

Submitted by gabi a Downhiller from greece athens

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2009

Strengths:    the bike is fantastic(i have change the disc brakes and the wheels(mavic deemax)

Weaknesses:    hn

Bottom Line:
bh

Favorite Trail:   specialized