Specialized FSR XC XC Full Suspension

4.23/5 (39 Reviews)

Submitted by alfgonloe a Weekend Warrior from Mexico City

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2010

Strengths:    Great Fork and rear shock w/great lockout on both.Juicy 3 breaks are awesome! Incredible bike for the price. Climbs very well. Good looking bike, I have the FSR XC Comp 2009 in black (It is the exact same setup for 2010, only the colors change).

Weaknesses:    A little on the heavy side, but who cares, isn't exercise the point?

Bottom Line:
At first I thought I had a malfunctioning fork, when I locked it out and put my weight and pushed down on it, it would still move about an inch. I called the LBS and they told me this was a normal threshold in case you forgot to take of the lockout upon descent, it is designed to prevent damage to the fork. This also applies for the x-fusion rear shock (it moves about 1/2 inch). This also improves traction on ascents. I love this bike!! I will never go back to hardtail!

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   VeloPasadena

Similar Products Used:   Although I have ridden other FS bikes, this is my first FS.

Bike Setup:   Factory, only changed the seat and pedals.

Submitted by scout_about a Cross Country Rider from Elizabethtown, KY

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2009

Strengths:    Good shock travel. Smooth shifting. Great breaks. Tires grip well.

Bottom Line:
I was skeptical if I would notice a difference from my GT. I power through parts of trails I would have to stop for or fall off from with my old bike. There are some drops that it has tackled well. I weigh 245 and it handles my size well. No issues thus far. It is a great bike for the money.

Favorite Trail:   Cherokee

Similar Products Used:   GT XCR 5000

Bike Setup:   Standard from Specialized

Submitted by Adam Romero a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, Ca. USA

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2009

Strengths:    Light, Responsive, Great Bike For The Price

Weaknesses:    Few issues with the components...but that can be changed up

Bottom Line:
You get what you pay for most of the time, but in this case, I've found that you get a little more. I love this bike. I had a Kona Bear (Same as the Dawg) back when I was pretty heavy (317 lbs) but I have since joined the Marine Corps and lost quite a bit of weight and had my Kona stolen so I figured it was time to get a new bike. After looking around for some hard tails, the bike guy pointed out the FSR and I fell in love with it. I was only planning on looking at bikes for me and my wife but after seeing it and test riding it we ended up grabbing the FSR for me and the Myka version for my wife.

Purchased At:   Black Mountain Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Kona Bear

Submitted by tturbotom a Weekend Warrior from Hazleton, Pa USA

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2008

Strengths:    after two years I am left wondering what the strengths are

Weaknesses:    wheels, rear bearing, rear shock link, frame!

Bottom Line:
After one year I had to relace the rear wheel do to several broken spokes, even on smooth roads. I also replaced the free hub after about 1 year. Just prior to the two year mark I replaced the wheel set do to a blown out rear hub. About a month later the rear shock link cracked in half at the weld (covered under warranty). About a month later the shock link bearings busted, even though they were just replaced when the shock link was. A couple weeks ago I noticed that the frame was crack at the bottom side of the top tube near the forward weld of the rear shock mount (covered under warranty). Surprisingly the front fork and cranks are still working fine.

I am a big guy and ride semi-aggressive XC trails. This bike may be a perfect fit for a light weight person that rides smooth trails. Just not the right bike for me.

Purchased At:   Cedar Bike

Bike Setup:   Avid Mech brakes, Time Pedals

Submitted by robtkd1 a Cross Country Rider from united kingdom

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2008

Strengths:    all of it!

Weaknesses:    none of it!

Bottom Line:
This bike is sweet! I bought it today and i love it already! It's a bit pricey but it's a fantastic ride. I love the lock out suspension. I ride to work so i should have gone with a hard tail, but at the weekends i fly through the woods so i wanted full suspension. With the lock out i get the best of both worlds. it climbs like a goat and is fast. I like the colour scheme as well. Blue and silver! SWEEEEEET!

Favorite Trail:   ruislip woods

Purchased At:   action bikes

Similar Products Used:   '97 hardroxk

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2008

Strengths:    Responsiveness (geometry), versatility, frame

Weaknesses:    Derailleurs (front and rear); Rims (stock Mavic); Suspension

Bottom Line:
I have a 2003 model that I purchased in 2005 from a private seller. The bike is mainly used for fireroads and moderate single track. My level is advanced beginner/intermediate.

The bike changes direction very quickly and offers a plush ride when climbing and cruising. The downhills leave a bit to be desired. My particular bike is prone to excessive vibration and vague feel. Though, when I do change direction, the bike responds well and generally holds its line. I just feel a bit disconnected with what's going on with the front wheel.

The suspension travel on my model is a bit on the low end. I've bottomed out the front a few times on some moderate jumps and the rear shock indicator ring shows that I nearing max travel for the rear shock.

The derailleurs for my particular bike are crap. I've gone to several different shops for tunes and its always the same story. Fine on the stand and level ground, but the rear derailleur can't seem to pick a ring when traveling uphill. The bike will shift into a gear, and then a short distance later, it's jumping between rings on its own. The front derailleur seems to take an eternity to shift rings. Maybe I just have a lemon or maybe I need to get in better shape and not shift gears so much.

The rims appear to need trueing every 3 or 4 rides.

I know my review appears to be very negative, but the truth is, the bike does handle well and all the problems I've mentioned can be addressed with upgrading components. Though the general feel of the bike is vague, it is reponsive and takes to input very well. I've eaten it hard with this bike a few times and subjected it to normal mtb abuse. The frame has withstood it all and still looks to have a lot to give. It's an all around solid bike, not the best, but solid. The bike is more than enough for beginners but may leave something to be desired for intermediate and advanced riders.

Favorite Trail:   Del Cerro

Purchased At:   Private Party

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hardrock, Kona Munimula

Bike Setup:   Stock except for pedals

Submitted by J Brown a Downhiller from Ellensburg, WA

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2007

Strengths:    Shocks are great very comfortable to ride

Weaknesses:    Spokes come loose a little to easy

Bottom Line:
Love the bike, and for the price you cant go wrong with it. Its everything a beginner full suspension bike should be.

Favorite Trail:   Manastash Ridge run

Purchased At:   Recycle Bicycle SHop

Bike Setup:   Stock FSR xc with plans of a bigger front tire and disc brakes

Submitted by Shawn Labesky a Cross Country Rider from Denver,CO, USA

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2007

Strengths:    Good solid frame and excellent geometery in the suspension.I typicailly ride hardtails but, find the full suspension bikes more comfortable and just as easy to ride when set up as a hardtail. For instance, it is recommended that 80% of your body weight in air pressure is required in the rear shock. I have found that if you put in 100% it rides like a hardtail and yet you have the suspension when you need it.

Weaknesses:    Only problem I have encountered is brake conversion from V-brakes to disk. There is no rear mount on the frame that I own and will be fixing that problem in the near future.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line for this bike in my opinion is if you own one, keep it. The geometerty is excellent, no other line of bikes is remotely close.

By the 2008 season the bike I own will be completely updated and ready for anything I throw its way.

If you own one of these bikes and need help with the rear disk brake mount feel free to Email me and I will send pics of what I have done to mine.

Favorite Trail:   All of them in CO

Purchased At:   Local Pawn Shop

Similar Products Used:   I have test ridden the Trek Fuel 70. It does not compare to the Stumpjumper FSR XC in any way, shape or form. Specailized has out done everyone in the full suspension line of bikes.

Bike Setup:   I have made some changes in parts such as 100mm forks (that will be replaced with 130mm this winter). Bars, seat, tires and wheels are all new as well. Rear shock, derailuers and a complete overhaul are in the works for this winter including new paint and decals.

Submitted by Brent Thompson a Weekend Warrior from Montana

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2007

Strengths:    Full suspension, sturdy frame, nice gear ratios, easy to upgrade.

Weaknesses:    None I have found

Bottom Line:
I biked a lot in college but rarely since then. I had an old hard tail but I demo'd this bike and took it home the same day. My wife has the xc comp. We do a lot of old logging roads and numerous trails. Nothing too hard core but 6-7 mile descents are not uncommon so I am getting disc brakes. This is a great bike.

Favorite Trail:   Cilly Creek-watch for grizzly bears

Purchased At:   The Spoke Shop

Similar Products Used:   Trek

Bike Setup:   Stock but am upgrading fork and brakes this week, mostly because I have worn the originals out.

Submitted by Mark Calica a Weekend Warrior from Brooklyn, New York

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2007

Strengths:    Quality, looks and Im just a hardcore Specialized rider.

Weaknesses:    The weight. I came off of a specialized hardtail but I do understand that FS are always heavier. But overall not much.

Bottom Line:
This bike was like a dream to ride. All the components works like a dream. Except for the rear shocks and the front forks, not the greatest but works fine for now and soon will be upgrading with all Fox suspension. All the trails that I used to go through were hard with the hardtail, but now there just so comfortable and easy to go through. If your looking to get into an FS bike look into this, and you wont be disappointed.

Favorite Trail:   prospect park

Purchased At:   Mr. C's Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale prophet, and Specialized Enduro.

Bike Setup:   Stock with avid bb5 disc brakes.

Submitted by PM a Weekend Warrior from Virginia

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2007

Strengths:    Disc brake ready. Good value for a dualie. Lots of room for upgrades. Lighter than my old steel Trek. This bike is a great entry bike for someone getting into mnt biking and wants a full sus bike. Wear out the stock compents and replace them with better ones.

Weaknesses:    A little heavey. No disc breaks (but has disc ready hubs). No name rear shock (although its taking everything I'm throwing at it). Front fork is mushy for my 190lbs.

Bottom Line:
This is a great entry level bike. Like I said above, if you are getting into mnt bike and want a full susser than seriously consider this bike. Upgrade the parts later down the road and sooner or later youll have a bike comparible to a Stumpjumper FSR.

Favorite Trail:   Difficult Run, VA

Purchased At:   Old Towne Bicycles

Bike Setup:   Stock... The only thing added to my bike is me and my Camelbak

Submitted by Ken a Weekend Warrior from Redlands, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2007

Strengths:    Great ride when going downhill only. Any line will work.

Weaknesses:    Can't ride up hill or on a flat. Drive train gets brutalized. Could not keep rear derailers or derailer hangers on them. Been through more than a dozen hangers, 8 rear derailers, too many chains to count.

Bottom Line:
I believe I got a lemon. Specialize replaced part of the frame in an attempt to solve the problems I've had with the rear derailer ... but it hasn't helped. It just won't stay in adjustment and I've been stranded way to many times with the handers and derailers bending like crazy ... while pedaling ... and then cutting up my spokes. The frame is now hanging from the rafters of my shed and won't be coming back out ...

Favorite Trail:   Santa Ana

Bike Setup:   RP3 rear shox, front judy, disk brakes.

Submitted by Nils a Weekend Warrior from Bellingham, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2007

Strengths:    Price. The frame and 4-bar suspension design is extremely efficient, and a GREAT introduction to FSR. Also, the frame and hubs are disk-brake-ready.

Weaknesses:    A1 frames are kinda heavy...cheap no-name rear-shock SUCKS...low-budget Manitou fork is a pogo-stick...brakes...tires...yada yada yada.

Bottom Line:
Despite all my gripes about about cheap parts, the FSR XC is a GREAT bike for the price. Specialized gives you a perfectly engineered FSR frame that is strong, rigid and efficient.
I highly recommend this bike for any weekend warriors on a budget, who what the beauty of full-suspension.
After 2 years of riding this bike hard, it's time for me to upgrade: hello FSR Stumpjumper Pro!

Favorite Trail:   CedarDust on Galbraith, Chuckanut logging roads

Purchased At:   Fairhaven Bike & Mountain Sports

Bike Setup:   added Marzocchi MX Comp fork, Panaracer Fire tires, Shimano XT Disks, Cane Creek rear-shock.

Submitted by Kevin a Weekend Warrior from Coeur d Alene, ID, USA

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2007

Strengths:    The FSR frame is awesome, lockout suspension, seems very well made, probably best value on the market

Weaknesses:    The avid rim brakes are great for rim brakes, but rim brakes just suck in general.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. It was my first bike in a long time and it made me fall in love with the sport all over again. It is a GREAT bike for the price. There are a lot of bikes out there that are lighter and better, but most of us are not pros and really dont need bikes like that. You could spend thousands for a carbon fiber frame so its lighter, but why not just loose some weight yourself and call it good? Anyways, I think that this is the perfect bike for the weekend warrior. Very strong, fun to ride and cheap enough that you wont loose any sleep after buying it. Highly recommend

Purchased At:   Two Wheeler Dealers

Similar Products Used:   K2

Bike Setup:   Stock except for a upgrade to avid BB7 mech. disk brakes.

Submitted by Bobcat a Cross Country Rider from KY

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2006

Strengths:    I have the XL frame for me it is perfect. I like the gear ratios. This cat can run the tight single track in the big ring!!! Great Climber. Fast on descents as well.

Weaknesses:    I bent the rear axel early on. but specialized replaced it, they are great. I have been breaking spokes. A friend said I need to upgrade the rims (wheels). Front rim has groves in it from the V-brake pads. Both front and rear pads wore out in 6 months of riding and racing. Perhaps that is average but this has not happened on previous bikes. Tires clog with mud. Front slipped out in curves but once I got the tire pressure according to my weight and style the issue cleared up. I wish it had another water bottle bosses. Would like to upgrade the suspension whne the old wear out and upgrade to disc brakes.

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike. The parking lot rides for 30 minutes did not do this bike justice. Once I dropped in on the trail the first time i new i had something special. For the money this bike is great. I give it four chilis on overall rating just becasue of the rims. And that could be due to the fact that i weigh 205 lbs and ride pretty hard, And have had some big rear wheel hits. I have recommended this bike to my friends and anyone who asks and do not worry about my rep being tarnished (it already is). I think this bike is good enough to race and ride for pleasure.

Favorite Trail:   Capital View Park, and all others

Purchased At:   Pedal the Planet

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose Inferno. Huffy rigid back in the day.

Bike Setup:   Spd clipless pedals. Riser bar. I use a velociraptor tire in sticky conditions and in the winter. Disc brakes coming soon during winter overhaul. Tool bag.

Specialized FSR XC for $700?

[url=http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/bik/4522682877.html]Great Specialized FSR XC[/url] I was looking to build a bike from spare bits and pieces but could be persuaded to buy for the right price. What do you think this one should realistically go for? The guy said $700 and is sending more close ... Read More »

Specialized Xc FSR Comp 2009

Okay I bought this bike on Craigslist and it works for what it is, but I have been spoiled by the fox float fork on my Santa Cruz Super light. My point is that the coil on here (TORA) is complete junk (Comparatively speaking), and here is the spec sheet [url=http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike ... Read More »

1999 Stumpy FSR XC geometry

Hi guys! Does anyone have a record of 1999 Stumpjumper FSR XC frame geometries? I am trying to resolve whether one was a small or medium. Here are some photos showing seat tube (well, as accurately as I could do without removing the cranks), head tube, and standover: [url=http://tinypic.com/view. ... Read More »

Rear shock FSR XC

I think I blew my rear coil shock I'm having a hard time finding any shock 6 x 1.25 located in the United states. I did find one from Taiwan and I'd rather not order from there [IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/28/rudubaqe.jpg[/IMG] Sent from my LG-D800 using TapatalkRead More »

2009 Specialized FSR XC Expert (damaged) project?

Hey guys, Been looking for a decent MTB on craigslist and I came across this post: [URL="http://asheville.craigslist.org/bik/4458447299.html"]Specialized FSRXC Expert for parts[/URL] According to the ad, the rear wheel and rear triangle have been damaged. How difficult do you guys think it would ... Read More »