Specialized FSR XC Womens XC Full Suspension

• Custom Shimano Hollowtech crank set
  • Lightweight alloy wheel

Submitted by jski a Cross Country Rider from New York

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2009

Strengths:    Pretty much everything

Weaknesses:    Brakes sucked, had 'em switched to disc

Bottom Line:
I got this bike b/c I wanted to start mountain biking and wanted a full susp bike. I love it. It probably is a bit heavier than necessary, but I wouldn't really know b/c it is my first mountain bike. I hated the brakes, so I got BB7s, and that helps a lot. I actually like the color, and have gotten compliments on it. At least it's not pink! The bike is a small and seems to fit me perfectly. I am 5'3" and 120 pounds. Great bike for an introduction to full suspension and mountain biking.

Favorite Trail:   Buffer Zone

Similar Products Used:   1st full susp bike

Bike Setup:   stock except for brakes and pedals

Submitted by Kate a Cross Country Rider from Gerringong, Australia

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2007

Strengths:    Great Bike - handles like a dream.

Weaknesses:    I'm told the components are pretty base model (shocks, breaks etc) but its such a huge upgrade from my old bike i'm more than happy with the quality.

Bottom Line:
I got this bike a few months ago and i thank it for transitioning me from fairly basic rider to an "able-to-keep-up-with-the-guys" rider. The dual suspension makes it a joy to ride and it handles so smoothly and stablely through corners and over obstacles. I was going to get a hardtail with higher level components, but i am totally glad i got the dual suspension instead. My riding skills have increased heaps thanks to this bike - and i'm having heaps more fun :). The baby blue colour is about the only thing i am not thrilled about - why do they think we like pretty pastels ????

Favorite Trail:   Sparrow Hill

Purchased At:   Sydney

Similar Products Used:   Nil - have ridden a base range hardtail for ages before getting this bike.

Bike Setup:   2007 Stock (disc breaks)

Submitted by Zach Meadows a Cross Country Rider from Edmond, Ok US

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2007

Strengths:    Price, Looks

Weaknesses:    Heavy for a girls bike. I bought it for my wife to ride.
She likes it, but I know it s way havy for her little frame to to ride.

Bottom Line:
Good for flat trails and concrete. This bike weighs more than my mens full susp bike.

Favorite Trail:   Draper

Purchased At:   private

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by carol a Weekend Warrior from montana

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2005

Strengths:    Shorter top tube, newer seatpost design looks stronger than on 2004 model. Stock saddle fits fine, no need for pricey Terry or Selle Italia upgrade

Weaknesses:    Probably the shocks; rear is no-name and front has no lock out like on FSR XC pro, but it's good enough for me now. I'd probably forget to unlock anyway. Color is a very pretty intense blue, too blue really, too pretty and I worry about it getting scratched. At least it isn't lavender like one women's mofel I saw.

Bottom Line:
Since I'm 5'8" I didn't think I needed a women-specific bike, but I kept going back between the men's med and large 2004 FSR XC Pro. Then I got on the women's model FSR XC and was surprised how well it fit, putting my head more over the bars, in control, and not making me feel stretched out. I actually had them put a longer stem on it because stock was 1 inch, which seemed stubby to me.

It turned out to be a really nimble and fun setup for single track, which is what I wanted. With the disc upgrade I probably ended up paying too much but the frame fit itself seemed worth it.

But really, what is it with the women's bike colors? When are the mfrs going to get it through their heads that the colors don't have to be all light and foo-foo for us? Silver, grey or steel blue would have been fine.

Favorite Trail:   Sawmill Gulch

Purchased At:   big sky cyclery

Similar Products Used:   tried men's FSR XC Pro, looked at Trek Fuel 70, K2 ?? and Gary Fisher Candy

Bike Setup:   Deore LX, upgraded to longer 175 cranks and Avid BB7 disc, longer seat post.