Specialized FSR XC Pro Disc XC Full Suspension

4.44/5 (41 Reviews)

Submitted by FSR a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2011

Strengths:    Very light weight bike, great for a cross-country set up, and matched with 2009 Rock Shox Reba 29, the bike can handle any bump, be it big or small

Weaknesses:    Probably not the best idea for a jumper

Bottom Line:
Great bike with any setup, just be prepared to want to ride it everyday and to spend a bit of money to make it the best bike it can be!

Favorite Trail:   Eaton's Cutting

Similar Products Used:   Giant Trance

Bike Setup:   2009 Rockshox Reba 29, slx rear derailer, xt front derailer, slk cranks, xtr chain with sram link, fox triad rear shock, felt xc risers,shimano slx shifters and hydraulic disc brakes and mavic 317 rims topped with devox cross-country tires

Submitted by irun22fast a Racer from Nampa, ID, USA

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2009

Strengths:    Good quality pivots and tubing. Frame seems smooth and tracks well downhill and over techy climbs. Can be built up to be pretty light without a ton of cash. Adjustable travel on rear shock is nice.

Weaknesses:    Slight pedal-bob when really getting on it (like in a short-track race). I don't really like the headset (only thing that's still stock now anyway).

Bottom Line:
I can get this bike under 25 pounds and I have about $2000 retail dollars in it (most stuff was not purchased at retail). Right now with heavyish tires and no fancy drivetrain bits its at 26 pounds. I have raced it pretty hard and ridden hard enough to really crash this thing at speed. I feel like the bike would track better on downhills if I could switch the Float R shock on and off propedal, but it is on the list still to upgrade so I may have to report back if I end up setting that up. I raced a shorttrack race on it and found it to be not quite as quick as a giant Anthem X I demoed on the same course right after, but since the Anthem is around $2900 I guess thats to be expected. I think its a great casual racer. Die hards will probably think there are better pure racing machines, but if you want to do a little of everything on one bike this could work for you. I'm running it a 8 hour race this June so I should have a good idea of its real limits by then.

Favorite Trail:   Hard Guy/Fast Guy

Purchased At:   Bike Shop (Slightly

Similar Products Used:   Scott Spark with full XTR, Rockhopper hardtail, Giant Rainier Hardtail, GF Cake, Diamondback hardtail, 2007 Stumpy comp, Giant Anthem X (demo).

Bike Setup:   Nothing except the headset and rear derailluer is still stock. Currently running a 2005 Reba team front fork with LX shifters and pretty much XT stuff all around. Juicy 7's for stoppin and Easton XC One wheels for rolling. I am also running easton cockpit stuff with a Thomson elite post. Tires range from the Fast Traks S-works to Kenda Nevegals and most of the stuff in between. I current am getting the fork rebuilt and moving it up to 100mm of travel from 85, which is why I have time to write this review.

Submitted by darrinw2001 a Cross Country Rider from Tampa, Florida

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2009

Strengths:    2008 FSRxc Pro model is what I have. light weight, nice components with the Reba SL dual air fork, Fox triad shock.

Weaknesses:    The rear triange has cable rub HOLE where rear brake cable touches, it actually ate through the metal completley. Found this after I bought it and took to the bike shop for a tune up. also a couple of good nicks in the aluminum from light crashes. the rear triangle seems very soft metal to have these issues this soon.

Bottom Line:
This bike is light and fast and hadels well over all. For the price I paid for it I an happy.

had to find updated air PSI setting information on the Fox Triad II shock as the settings in the book were wrong. They updated information to make the psi equal to the riders body weight, but I had to search for that info on the Specialized website after learning the settings in the book were not working right (tons of pedal bob).
The rear triangle seems very soft as the above mentioned cable rub hole is a cause for concern on a 2 year old bike, that is why I lowered the overall rating. I have put a chainstay protector on the other side to help with this problem (I hope).. If I were the original owner I would send it in for warranty replacment, but since I bought it used I cannot. Anyone who has this bike make sure you check the rear brake cable area on the triangle for this problem.

Favorite Trail:   Balm-Boyette

Purchased At:   individual used

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Cake 2

Bike Setup:   Rockshox Reba SL fork, Fox Triad Shock, Panaracer Fire XC Pro tires, ergon grips, Time Aluim Pedals, all else stock

Submitted by Robert Fulton a Racer from Westmont, IL

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2008

Strengths:    climbs exceptionally well, very light and fast, sus works well together, nimble

Weaknesses:    gearing different than my hardrock-just takes some getting used to, tires flat easy but grip great

Bottom Line:
excellent xc racer, very responsive and quick. I'm a big racer(6'3" 240lbs)and have yet to bottom out and have had no problems with the pedals hitting anything. Just make sure the suspension is pressurized properly for you weight and you will be fine. The bike is taking all the abuse I can dish out-DURABLE! This bike climbs like your being towed uphill and makes single track smooth as butter; surprising for my size and weight.

Favorite Trail:   Palos Forest Preserve

Similar Products Used:   hardrock, epic

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Joker a Racer from Buffalo, NY

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2007

Strengths:    Lightweight, climbs well, nice geometry

Weaknesses:    None noticed so far

Bottom Line:
I got a good deal on this bike through my local shop (Thanks Guys!). I asked them to swap some of my parts of my old ride (IH Mkiii) to lighten up the new bike. It comes in at about 26.5 lbs. A new rear cassette should get me close to 26. I wanted a lighter bike than I had and I kept spending money to lighten the old bike and it wasn't working. Bought this and wha-la! Nice light fast bike. I have ridden it on my local trails and in North Carolina. On leaves, dry ground, and 3 inches of snow. Rock gardens, water bars, log piles. It hasn't disappointed yet. The suspension, front and rear work great. The shifters work great, the brakes are fine. I took the big 180/200 mm rotors off and put on 160 mm rotors. It really climbs great. I was flying up hills on this bike compared to my old ride. On flats, it was quick and really handled well in the tight stuff.Haven't noticed any issues going downhill either. I ride the bike almost always in ProPedal, I have opened her up to full squish going downhill. Lockout works well going up non tech hills.

This bike has a lot to offer for the price. Especially if you already have the items you want to upgrade on it. Love the warranty! Lets hope I don't have to use, but it nice to have. I do a lot of racing so the 4 inches of travel fits my type of riding better than the Stumpy and the IH. The new 08 Stumpys are ugly anyway! I couldn't get the deal I was looking for on a Superlight, and right now I could care less. This bike is just what I was looking for.

Favorite Trail:   Too many good ones ridden, too many more to try!

Purchased At:   Handlebars

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper, Epic, Ironhorse MKiii, SC Superlight

Bike Setup:   2007 Specialized FSR Xc Pro, Reba Race front shock, Fox Triad rear shock, FSA xc-300 wheelset, Thompson seatpost, Avid 3 disc brakes, Shimano XT crankset, Easton Minkeylite Crabon handlebars, Crank Brother Candy C pedals

Submitted by Frank Myers a Weekend Warrior from Ocala FL

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2007

Strengths:    The bike is great it does everything my Epic Carbon did for half the price. This handles very well in all situations hills up or down, roots, rocks, sweepers, tech stuff a great bike for those that are looking for a bike to race but won't break the bank.

Weaknesses:    I wish it had the Fox fork off my Epic, the Reba is a good fork but the Fox is just plain better.

Bottom Line:
If you want a true XC racer at a decent price this bike is for you.

Favorite Trail:   Razorback

Price Paid:    $1950.00

Purchased At:   Santos Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Epic Marathon Carbon, Trek Fuel 98

Submitted by Ernesto a Weekend Warrior from Miami

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2007

Strengths:    This bike rocks!! Best deal for a full suspension bike. I've tested it on all the major trails in Florida and it has been solid and true.

Weaknesses:    I haven't found one yet.

Bottom Line:
This is the best buy for your buck. Full suspension, disc brakes, and a lifetime warranty on your frame for about $1,500. 2nd Specialized bike and still true.

Favorite Trail:   Alafia (Tampa Area)

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by scott newell a Cross Country Rider from jacobstown new jersey united states

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2007

Strengths:    over all good bike fast stiff when you need it to be not much drag at all unless your dragging your own ass....

Weaknesses:    the tires the specilized tires suck they get flats every time out. nothing some WMB tires can fix..i even put those tires on my hardtail still flats. garbage....

Bottom Line:
great bike i would tell someone to get this bike. and for the pedals hitting the ground once i can recall the pedals hitting the ground but i was because i had the pedal down when i was turning. maybe their shock is not fully inflated to their weight requirement.

Favorite Trail:   tasali north carolina

Purchased At:   bike shop ??????

Similar Products Used:   gt zasker team from when gt was still gt.... great bike light rock shox sid xc nice and stiff just how i like it but good on hard hits.... very light bike

Bike Setup:   rock shox reba with lock out. rear shox??? lock out avid disc brakes maviv 221 i think.... great bike..

Submitted by rossi meh a Cross Country Rider from scotland

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2007

Strengths:    light, true, sleek, handsome, focused.

Weaknesses:    pedal bottoms out and hits ground

Bottom Line:
once i got the shock and forks to the proper psi rating the bike handled a lot beter. i'm quite a heavy rider at 90kgs, but the FSR takes all the punishment i can throw at it. it's very well behaved. the back end feels planted on loose stuff and the recon 531 sl fork holds true, tracks very well and makes the bike go wherever you point it. my bike came with avid juicy 5 brakes, which are astonishingly progressive and effective at high speed with no discernible fade whatsoever even after a whole day of being punished in all weather at the world class glentress trail center in bonny scotland. the only downside is the pedal clearance on climbs and bumpy ascents. i find myself paying far closer attention to trail obstacles such as rocks than with previous bikes due to the FSR's penchant for bottoming it's shimano spds out on any boulder bigger than your average potato. the tri position fox triad rear shock is very well matched with the rockshox recon front end and this makes for a very safe-feeling, sensible, fast and smooth ride. i love my FSR! i've never had a specialized bike til now having always been a gt fan, but i'd definately reccomend the FSR XC PRO. weekend trail riders who are more into all day epics than 10 foot hucks would get the best value from this dedicated, focused and driven xc bike. The rest of us would simply meet our own limits before finding the bike's.

Favorite Trail:   glentress v-trail

Purchased At:   simon porteous cycles

Similar Products Used:   mongoose teocali comp, gt zaskar le

Bike Setup:   stock 06 FSR XC PRO/Rockshox Recon 531 SL/Fox Triad shock

Submitted by Gary a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver WA

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2007

Strengths:    Most of the trails I ride are very hilly. I find the bike climbs well because of the gearing and the suspension and breaks work good on the decent. The sitting position is comfortable.

Weaknesses:
The biggest weakness of this bike is the peddle clearance. Even with the rear shock in the lock out position I am constantly hitting the peddles on the ground during the down stroke. Any small rock, root, rut, or mound that you come across peddling up hill your going to hit the peddles on. Going up hill in first gear you don't have the option of positioning your peddles for the terrain. Your are either peddling or your foot is on the ground. More colors would be good.

Bottom Line:
Even though I find the bike comfortable and the components work good for me I would probably not recommend this bike because of the problem with the peddle ground clearance.

Purchased At:   Fat Tire

Submitted by Robert from Gainesville,Ga. USA

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2007

Strengths:    Good Frame & drive train

Weaknesses:    Wheels, fork too heavy

Bottom Line:
My first bike was Gary Fisher HT, OK. I debated spending the extra $ for Stumpjumper but settled with this bike - no regrets (other than the wheels). I have friends my size that have broke Tomac & Cannondale frames, this Specialized holds true. I've upgraded a few of the components, lockable rear shock ($75/ebay), recently added bottom bracket & frame bushings. I weigh 235 lbs, 6ft 4in, intermediate to advanced rider. Overall, very pleased with the bike, little maintenance, would purchase Specialized again.

Favorite Trail:   Chicopee Woods

Purchased At:   Cartecay Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Tomac, Trek

Bike Setup:   Upgrades - Reba fork, Mavic Crossmax XL tubeless, Trek gel seat

Submitted by Ken a Weekend Warrior from Princeton jct, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2007

Strengths:    The full suspension, and great brakes help me go over trails that were too painful in the past. The Fox triad really absorbs the roots and ruts. The Avid brakes, once I got used to the power, let me set my line for perfect turns at speed.
Having the lockout is great on the flats or crossing on paths, letting me do less work when I'm off the trails or don't need a lot of travel. The SRAM setup is quick and I havn't blown a shift yet.

Weaknesses:    The fox rear shock blew out on an 11 degree F day while getting on the bike, sfter stopping for a break. The loaner form the LBS had no problems and the new shock seems fine, but won't know until next winter if this will happen again.
The tires simply horrid. I have gotten two flats, both where a twig was pushed in by one of the knobs! Never had this kind of flat before, so off come these tires. Anyway they only seem to work on gravel and clean hard pack. any mud, snow, ice, grass, branches, slippery roots etc. upset the grip. They do sail across gravel though if that's the kind of terrain you have.
Also the pedals do hit bottom on compression, so have to be a little aware of this on the bigger bumps/logs.
Wish it came in more colors.

Bottom Line:
For the price, this is fantastic bike. The amount of travel is perfect for me and I have been able to do trails that were a chore for me on my last bike. The brakes really work wonders in snow and mud. So I'll change the tires and have exactly the bike I want for the type riding I want to do.
Off to change the tires.....

Favorite Trail:   MCP

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale R900 - lasted me 13 years, but was time for a new ride and FS :-)

Bike Setup:   Stock plus a read shock mud flap and the spec. aluminum bar ends (snapped the shorter resin ones, not tough enough for me, I'm a big rider 6'1' and ride to lose weight)

Submitted by Richard Herndon a Weekend Warrior from Glen Rose, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2007

Strengths:    RockShox, Fox suspensions; Frame design; Avid juicy brakes; paint job (sweet lookin ride).

Weaknesses:    I am not crazy about the tires. The Specialized pro 2.0 look bigger than they are. The tread design is a rock and dirt slinger. Saddle is like sitting on a brick.

Bottom Line:
This bike has been a refreshing change compared to my hardtail. The full suspension is definitely a fun and smooth ride on very rough trails. FS is opening up new riding that I was missing before through technical sections. After you get things tuned in, it should give you miles of enjoyment.

Favorite Trail:   Dinosaur Valley