Specialized Epic Pro XC Full Suspension

4.89/5 (9 Reviews)

Submitted by 99banger a Cross Country Rider from Denver,Colorado,USA

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2010

Strengths:    Man where do I start! The rear shock is amazing, bike rides like a dream. It's soft when you need it and stiff in the climb. Very light, looks pretty....

Weaknesses:    Didn't like the stock dual chamber front shock, it wasn't stiff enough.

Bottom Line:
Great bike to build

Favorite Trail:   Deer Creek

Purchased At:   Private owner

Similar Products Used:   Novara, 4 Banger

Submitted by Dave Eifert a Cross Country Rider from Bay Village, OH, USA

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2006

Strengths:    Light weight, responsiveness, plush when needs to be, locked out automatically when needs to be.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
This is my first Full Suspension bike after riding a no-suspension bike for 15 years. So my basis of comparison is limited to say the least. But the bike handles so fantastically that I can't imagine a better ride out there. The wheels stay glued to the ground when hitting roots while climbing. The Brain rear suspension gobbles up the bumps when flying through the woods. Fantastic! If cross-country terrain, and speed are what you are about...this is a great bike. You'll want more travel, and wouldn't necessarily need the Brain if you are more interested in serious shucking.

Favorite Trail:   Kenahwa - WV

Price Paid:    $2025.00

Purchased At:   Two Wheel Tango - Ann Arbor, MI

Bike Setup:   Comp as standard (2006)
XTR rear der.
LX front der.
XT Hollowtech II cranks
XTR disc brakes

Submitted by Bill Bass a Cross Country Rider from Medicine Hat, AB, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2006

Strengths:    This bike is great. Hands down the best bike that I have ever rode. It is light and the frame is strong it does not creek or crack when being worked hard. The brain works great. I bought the 2005 version so it is one year old and has held up well. I still works like new if you maintain it properly. Some posters have a negitive review of the SID but so far I think it is sweet. I don't find it flexy and it is super light and plush. The lock out on the SID also works great. I put 4 flaming chillies for value because it is a little pricy and 5 over all because that is what I think it deservs.

Weaknesses:    A little on the pricy side. But I think that it is well worth the money. Comparing it to other products at the same price range the EPIC blows them out of the water. This bike is probably not a bike that will be able to take big drops or hardcore downhill it just wasn't make for that.

Bottom Line:
Anyone that is serious about cross country should buy this bike. This bike is sweet like candy. I am in love with this bike. I told my wife the other day that she will have to make some room for it in bed. She thought I was joking but really I wasn't.

Similar Products Used:   Treck XC bikes, Giant Reign

Bike Setup:   XT components, XTR rear, SID Front, 2005 Brain.

Submitted by Dave a Racer from Broomfield

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2005

Strengths:    Very light for a full suspension, Rock Shox Sid Team, you really can't find a better fork out there. Suspension works as advertised, if you didn't get a bad Brain.

Weaknesses:    I had the Brain part of the shock die on me and had to have it sent back to Fox to get fixed. The rear end would not lock out. From what I have read, this is a problem that has been seen on other versions of the epic. Once replaced, it rides like a dream again. One note to everyone, Fox Racing takes about 3-4 weeks to do warranty work on their products, thus I didn't have my bike for several races which was aggravating.
Another weakness is the stock riser bar. Anyone who is going to buy this bike is going to us it for cross country racing. If you are racing cross country, the stock handle bars are just too wide and it keeps you too upright, but it is easy to fix.
Also Easy to crack the lock out knob if you over turn it. It is designed that way on purpose to protect the internals, so this was my own fault it cracked. Easy to replace and not a major issue, it still works fine when cracked. May have been cracked when I bought it from other people testing it.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike aside for the problems I had with the rear shock. The bike works exactly as described. It climbs great and takes the rough edge off of the rocky descents. This is not a downhill bike and thus should never be used for that purpose. This is a cross country race bike and as long as you use it for that purpose it delivers great performance. The bike is very easy to set up and starting with the recommendations from the shox companies. Another note is that you have to be careful with the lock out knob on the Sid. It is designed to break if you try to force the lock out too far. This is to keep the internals from getting damaged. Thus once it stops then it is locked out and you shouldn't try to push it any farther. I also don't understand why everyone is so down on rock shox forks. They are easy to maintain, fully serviceable by you, easy to adjust and are the lightest forks out there, and I never had a Sid that had problems. Which I can't say about Manitou or Fox. Yes they flex if you watch them, but I can't figure out how anyone can actually feel that flex bombing down a rocky single track. Bottom line, other then some minor problems, this bike is great and probably one of the best full suspension cross country race bikes out there for the price. It loses one chili for the problems I had with the bad Brain. But other then that I am happy with it.

Favorite Trail:   Tipperary Creek Point to Point

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Similar Products Used:   KHS Pro AL2000 with Rock Shox SID 2001

Bike Setup:   Stock except carbon fiber flat bar and San Marco Aspide saddle.

Submitted by paulo francisco a Racer from funchal,portugal,portugal

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2005

Strengths:    Nao ha palavras para descrever tanta boa prestaçao e do melhor, a sua facilidade de ultrapassar pedras ou as maiores raizes da-nos a sensaçao de estarmos em cima de uma bike de downhill, e mesmo fantastica.

Weaknesses:    nenhuma em encontrada em dois lindos anos com ela.

Bottom Line:
a melhor companhia para todas as minhas provas, e treinos comprem logo k possam

Favorite Trail:   Panela

Purchased At:   MZbike

Bike Setup:   grupo completo XTR, rodas mavic crossxl, pedais da crank,selim selle italia, e claro avanço da tomson se assim k se escreve, esta um mimo das rodas ao volante.

Submitted by Lance Stephenson a Cross Country Rider from Cape Town ,South Africa

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2004

Strengths:    This bike climbs everything better than hardatails, even on jeep-track it has the same nippy acceleration as hardtails. the bikes response to you getting out of the saddle to accelerate away is more "disconnected" than a hardtail but it carries the same speed> i've done the literal test runs up the same hill on both a hardtail and this bike. the coolest thing is if you're into enduro's where you often find lots of corrugations to ride, this bike rocks. hardtails get stunted by them but this bike glides over them. then hitting singeltrack, obviously this bike is better. it rides like a dh bike.

Bottom Line:
buy it buy it buy it buy it

Favorite Trail:   Grabouw

Purchased At:   Cyclelab

Similar Products Used:   gary fisher sugar, fsr

Submitted by Mitch a Cross Country Rider from Longwood

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2004

Strengths:    This bike is the gas!!!! Have ridden hard tails for years and this bike simply works. Somewhat heavier than the old hard tail but what a difference in the ride. Just a pleasure to ride.

Weaknesses:    Havent found one yet.

Bottom Line:
This bike really works. An all around great ride. The fork and shock are fully ajustable to your riding ability and weight. I love the hard tail feel until you need the suspension. Cant wait to 24 hour this bike in Atlanta.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in the mts.

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel 100

Bike Setup:   04' XT and Avid with Mavic Crossride wheels. Carbon bar and seatpost. SRAM 9spd.

Submitted by Peter Vandeven a Cross Country Rider from Belgium, Europe

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2004

Strengths:    The brain works as it is described!!!!

Weaknesses:    RockShox SID TEAM fork...no good for this boy

Bottom Line:
Best bike so far for me. The brain does his thing only when you need it...magnificent!!! Frame is excellent. Over here we ride 100% XC, no freerides. The EPIC is the perfect answer for XC-riders who also like to ride&race with comfort. I really like the XT2004 with the duals. The RS TEAM I changed after 2 weeks..way too soft for me. I use a manitou black at this moment (because of the stiffness) but the FOX 80 Terralogic will be the next upgrade..

Favorite Trail:   Hageland..what's in a name?!

Purchased At:   3800.00

Bike Setup:   stock setup

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Leavenworth, Kansas

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2004

Strengths:    Looks. Pretty good spec. Works as advertised.

Weaknesses:    You pay a premium for the Brain technology versus the older SJ FSR suspension technology.

Bottom Line:
I have owned and ridden mountain bikes since about 1985 and I can tell you this bike is a keeper. When you get past the hype and the price, this bike does work as advertised. Bike feels light and fast on the trail and climbs better than my trusty Stumpjumper. Short, steep climbs that I was unable to do on my old bike are no problem now. Don't expect this bike to feel like a fully active suspension bike. It balances the strengths of a full suspension bike with the power transfer of a hardtail.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Leavenworth Trail