Sette Ace XC XC Full Suspension

4.52/5 (27 Reviews)
Weight : 5.44 lbs

The Sette Ace offers everything that a die hard XC rider could ever wish for in a cross country bike. The Ace’s light weight frame and compliant suspension design work together to create a bike that is light and efficient enough for those extra long rides. The Sette Ace was designed to provide pure cross country performance; its light weight design was built using oversized and butted 7005 series aluminum tubing. Oversized tubing and a reinforced head tube keep this bike strong yet light weight. The Sette Ace breezes through the trails with 4 inches of rear travel, while sealed cartridge bearing pivot points keep everything operating smooth and trouble free. Full hydraulic hose and cable guides and a replaceable derailleur hanger help to round things off.

Submitted by Russ a Cross Country Rider from east peoria Il usa

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2012

Strengths:    Light frame and decent parts

Weaknesses:    TIRES!!!!!!!!! paint rubs easy

Bottom Line:
I have rode this for 3yrs and have made upgrades along the way. Everything i have taken off still work great, but wanted to get lighter and stronger parts for i started to out grow the parts on it, for my riding has gotten faster and more daring. Great bike for the money and no problems with it ever. I ride this bike hard every time I am out on it hitting drops, jumps, rock gardens, and really rooted trails. climbs great and carves nicely and now i have a bike that weighs in at 26.2 pounds. It takes the abuse of the trails no prob!

Favorite Trail:   Farmdale park

Purchased At:   price point

Similar Products Used:   only had a hard tail before this bike

Bike Setup:   crossmax st rims, fox 32 rlc fit fork, tioga tires, race face bar and stem, new seat, lock on sette grips, and 8inch front rotor

Submitted by Moeszy a Weekend Warrior from Pollock Pines, Ca

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2011

Strengths:    light weight, good drivetrain, hydro brakes, remote lockout front forks.

Weaknesses:    tires... there not horrible, theres just better XC tires out there.

Bottom Line:
GREAT bike, especialy for the price.

Favorite Trail:   Rim Trail in Lake Tahoe

Purchased At:   price point

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hardrock Uno

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by RT74 a Weekend Warrior from St. Louis, MO USA

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2011

Strengths:    Linkage and pivot quality, sizing and price.

Weaknesses:    Lack of color selection and no optional rear shock offered.

Bottom Line:
This is a custom built/specd bike so I may be a little biased in my opinions. I built this bike with cost, quality and weight in mind. The final product is a bike that weighs in the 24 pound range. It really rides lighter than it is. Sprints well, accelerates well and the geometry really works in favor of great singletrack and rough conditions too. Alot of the trails I ride range from moist to loose and rocky. This bike seems to handle all conditions very well. I have to give the IRC fire pro tires alot of credit. It would probably be an even quicker ride if I hadn't opted for the RS Revelation but I got such a good deal on one I couldn't pass it up.

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   GT STS 1500 DS, Gary Fisher Big Sur and Giant XTC Team (custom build)

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox Monarch 3.3 and Rock Shox Revelation 100mm-130mm fork. Crank Brothers headset. Shimano XT crank, derailuers and shifter/brake levers. Avid BB7 Disc Brakes. Thomson stem and seatpost. Bontrager Race X lite bar. Vuelta XRP wheelset with flat spokes and IRC tires.

Submitted by Smidy23 a Cross Country Rider from Charleston, West Virginia

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2010

Strengths:    Value

Weaknesses:    Stock fork,brakes, and especially the tires!

Bottom Line:
I wanted a full suspension mountain bike for quite sometime. My friend steered me towards the Sette despite I was looking at Santa Cruz. Less commitment, considering I am new to the sport. The Sette was a good bike for the first year, however I am quickly outgrowing it. Good overall bike. The factory tires need replaced immediately if you plan on riding it in the mountains. Original Tora fork was junk, Rock Shox made it right by replacing it with a Recon Race. After switching out the grips the bike has been great, the geometry isn't very friendly for bigger riders. I am 6'4 230 lbs and my front wheel is coming off the ground during climbs all the time. Overall I am glad i bought this bike and would do it again. Pricepoint needs to seriously reconsider those factory tires though, go ahead and budget out for new tires if you decide on the Sette.

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Similar Products Used:   Jamis, Giant

Submitted by bmmoney a Cross Country Rider from OC

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2010

Strengths:    Good combination of components for the price. I am a 5'6" female riding the small frame and it fits well. The bike rides fairly quick for a 29lb cross country bike, but could be ligher with some upgrades. Climbs well over all despite the weight.

Weaknesses:    For a XC bike, it could be lighter. The bike is also bit skidish on downhills even at mid speeds. The paint job is very cheap. The paint has rubbed off at brake cables and other locations and I have only been riding the bike for 6 months. The stock wheels(Kenda Krushers) are not good for XC or all mountain. They provide very little grip and poor cornering traction. You will want to replace them immediately if you still decide to buy this bike. Pricepoint customer service is Horrible to deal with. They do not stand behind their products whatsoever and run you around. My husband also owns the Sette Flite from Pricepoint. He's also had problems with is bike- both the seatpost as well as the Monarch 3.1 rear shock go bad and the experience in dealing with Pricepoint was a nightmare. He got the seatpost replaced after having to escalate the issue to managmenent and argue for 30 minutes with them. He still doesn't have a functioning rear shock. You will dread the day you deal with the customer service from PricePoint. You have been warned!

Bottom Line:
Overall decent bike for the money but the fact that you have to deal with Pricepoint cutomer service if anything goes wrong makes it not worth it at all. Save your money and you can purchase several high quality name brands for $300 -$500 more and have proper customer service/support when you need it. You've been warned, stay away from Pricepoint! Look at entry level bikes from GT, Trek, or Giant in the $1500 price range or a Fezzari for the same price.

Favorite Trail:   Crystal Cove

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Similar Products Used:   None for full suspension, my previous bike was a 6000 series Trek hardtail.

Bike Setup:   Stock as sold from pricepoint.

Submitted by dancarr a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2010

Strengths:    The geometry is suprisingly well tuned for cross country / all mountain. Strong frame that will take abuse. Excellent wheels!

Weaknesses:    The Tora 302 is quite basic internally, and heavy.. however the lock-out is a great feature for long climbs.
Kenda Krusher tires are terrible in any moisture... let alone the wet.

Bottom Line:
Many riders say that this is a great bike for the price. This is a great bike overall.. forget the price for a moment. Some bikes just fit well... Up or down, this bike is stable, predictable and encourages flow. After a few rides, on the stock Kenda Krushers, I had to swap them out. (I thought it was just a matter of getting used to them, but they really take away from the bike). I put on Nevegals, but, its always best to pick a tire to suit your terrain. In fact, in terms of great handling on the trail, I prefer it over my Trek Fuel Ex 7.. (However, active breaking is clearly better on the ABP Trek). The Ace has a single pivot variation, and does lock up the rear suspension a bit under breaking. Not a problem if you ride with this in mind. If I were to swap back the bike for my money now having ridden it, I would still buy it again. Just an excellent bike that I will expect to be my go-to bike for many rides to come.

Favorite Trail:   Pipeline in Jakarta

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Many many (this is my 12th bike in about a decade)

Bike Setup:   Standard, with nevegal tires...

Submitted by mountainwalker80 a Cross Country Rider from Seattle

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2010

Strengths:    Quality XC rig. Not for racing, but great for riding. Suspension is active and balanced. Frame is stiff and very strong feeling. Weight is comparable to bikes costing much more. Quality build- none of the components are cheap, even the skewers are XT... nothing budget about this bike except the price.

Weaknesses:    Seriously- can't think of a single one, unless your ego requires you to buy something that says Trek on the down tube.

Bottom Line:
I was on the fence over whether to build up the bike myself or to just do the whole bike. Using parts off my current hardtail I would have needed a fork, disc brakes, wheels, bottom bracket, and a few minor parts like grips and cables. After obsessively spec'ing out components from all over the internet I found it was just not possible to beat the stock build of the Ace without spending way more money... and I didn't have to cannibalize the hardtail. The bike came out of the box ready to rock... aside from the slight reassembly required, everything was set up and adjusted almost perfectly. Literally the only adjustment required was a half-turn on one of the front derailleur limit screws. The bike rides awesome. My last FS rig was a Y-22 that I paid $2500 in the late 90's. This bike totally blows it out of the water. It is totally predictable, great at putting power down, stiff and solid at high speed, just super-fun to ride. If you are considering buying a used name-brand bike instead of the ace, think again. This bike is the real deal.

Favorite Trail:   St Edwards

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel EX8, Specialized FSR

Bike Setup:   Stock. Might change switch out the tires.

Submitted by DIRTY DUCK a Cross Country Rider from Tampa, Florida

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2010

Strengths:    Sram X-7 derailleurs/shifters smooth
Front/rear shocks work great & seem to be holding up well
Geometry and handling good
Disc Brakes stop on a dime

Weaknesses:    PAINT IS OF EXTREMELY POOR QUALITY
Loose parts in shipping crate
Saddle not very comfortable
POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE FROM PRICE POINT

Bottom Line:
For a thousand bucks this is a good full suspension bike. Paint quality is extremely POOR. In less than 20 miles, paint wore off where derallieur/brake cables run. Starting to wear in other place too. My 8 year old Fuji Sunfire's paint is in better condition than this 3 month old bike. My main concern now is PRICE POINT's poor customer service. I dread the day I have a warranty claim. I had returned another product I had purchased from PRICE POINT that was defective. I e-mailed them numerous times as to the status of my return but they would never answer. I then called them but they route the customer service calls to an Indian call center. I left 3 messages and no one ever called me back. I Finally got a hold of one of the Indian customer service reps who transferred me to someone here state side. I eventually got my credit for the return but the whole affair took two weeks of aggravation. BOTTOM LINE: Good bike for the money, very crappy paint, and don't expect any warranty or customer service assistance- ya'll are on your own !!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Fuji Sunfire Hardtail

Bike Setup:   Stock except Continental Race King tires

Submitted by wildkyle90 a Cross Country Rider from Springfield,Il, USA

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2010

Strengths:    Great Components, Lightweight, Mostly everyithing

Weaknesses:    Nothing Much, Just little odds and ends really

Bottom Line:
Okay Here is my review.. Just had the bike out for the second time, and have about 5 hours of riding. There is about 3-4 inches of snow on the ground on average where im riding.

The Frame - Solid, even compared to my diamondback response hard tail. The frame didnt have any unwanted flex from what i could tell. The geometry is well suited to fast switchbacks and fast riding, as well as climbing. Actually climbed very well, with very little pedal bob. But after riding hard tail for so long, pedal bob is noticable, but only on steep uphills. It is very light, and it certainly shows its a quick bike. On the downhills, the bike leaves a bit to be desired. It does just fine on the downhill dont get me wrong, but seems to lack some stability. Im blaming this on the lightness of the frame/overall bike that im not used to, although it could be a number of things. I could chalk that up to my flat bar im using.

Fork - - The RS Tora 302 air is fairly adjustable. It does just fine for my riding, and gets very stiff if i want it too, or as soft as i want it to. The rebound adjustment doesnt make a huge difference, although its slightly noticable. No unwanted noises or play in the fork.

Rear Shock - RS Monarch 2.1 is suitable for xc riding. I weight 135 pounds, and with a 150PSI in it, it came very close to bottoming out off a 3 foot drop to flat, but it can handle another 100psi easy, so no problems there. The rebound adjustment on the shock is noticable and helpful. Its easy to fill with air as it has a swivel air tube. Overall i like the monarch, its very responsive to small bumps and still handles the big ones easy and smoothly.

Brakes - Avid Juicy 3's and iv dont a little tuniing with them, cant seem to get them right. They are my first set of hydros, and i am impressed with the stopping power. They provide good lever feel and require little pressure to lock up (ecspecially in the snow). My complaint is they have little adjusment. The rotors are true but they still rub enough to slow the wheel in freespin. I guess i still gotta try to get that adjustment right. They never made any noise, even when i ran them hard on the downhills.

Drivetrain - All Sram X.7 components with a truvativ firex crank. Much Much Much better than Sram X.4.. This setup is more than adequate for anything i do around my area. The triggers require less pressure to shift either way than the X.4, and adjust much easier and stay adjusted. No unwanted noises, quick shifts, and smooth peddling make me very happy and this drivetrain delivers.

Wheels and tires -- XT hubs, Mavic wheels, And kenda krusher tires. The hubs and wheels are midrange and do their job, i dont know what else i can really say about them other that they look nice and have no problems 5 hours of riding. The tires arnt as wide as a typical 2.1 tire, but honestly they did better than i though they would. They had nice grip in the snow and did well uphill for being skinny. Still could have a little wider for better traction would be nice.

Overall - Impressed with the bike, other than on the backside of the pivots, there is some grease coming from them, but it was just a little bit and i figure that is normal. Its a solid bike, and well worth the $999. Anyone who is on the fence with this bike, i say grow a pair and buy it, you wont be dissapointed the least. It climbs, jumps, and has extremley fast responsive handling.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback, trek, cannondale

Bike Setup:   Stock except for sette flatbar and venn stem

Submitted by slindblom a Cross Country Rider from Charlottesville, VA

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2009

Strengths:    Cost, weight, geometry, amazing customer service. Compare bikes with similar reviews and specs, and you'll likely find that there are very few values as good as this one.

Weaknesses:    Seat stay geometry: they flare out pretty steeply to accommodate the wheel. If you have a narrow Q-factor crankset and long feet, and tend to let your heels drift inward, you may rub the seat stay from time to time. This is not a big deal, but I do notice it from time to time. This happens to me only on my right foot, so I might need to space my BB a little better (I have not measured to be sure that the cranks are dead centered).

If you're into having the latest bling to impress your friends, this might not work for you. If you are on a budget but don't want to compromise on quality, you've come to the right place

Bottom Line:
I simply don't have the cash to drop 2K on a frame. With this frame, I don't have to. I had a warranty issue, and PricePoint delivered for me. They were polite, quick, and stood by their product.

I simply love this frame. I rode it in a 24hr race, a 100 miler, and a few local races, and ride it several times a week on local trails. It climbs like a goat, tracks great, is very responsive on technical stuff, and downhills very respectably for a XC bike. I would definitely recommend the ACE.

Favorite Trail:   GWNF

Purchased At:   PricePoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, rocky mountain, yeti, bikes of my friends. My previous bike was an older FSR

Bike Setup:   *I bought just the frame* BB7 brakes, lx/xt/xtr components, mavic/shimano wheels, carbon bar, race face stem and post

Submitted by mtbwesley a Cross Country Rider from rockville,ct. usa

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2009

Strengths:    tough.efficient.light.i gotta say, mines sexy.

Weaknesses:    an inch more travel would be sweeeeeet!

Bottom Line:
i love it! i ride aggressive trail with lots of drops,roots,rock gardens,ect. 3ft.to flat no prob. 6ft. to transition,,that extra inch would be great, but it still eats it. i've had it going on 2 yrs. now without a single problem. went with the ace over the flite cuz i ride real trails in N.E. and don't just session at our little freeriding spots. i just hit s#*t in passing. but i AM GETTING the flite to build up starting around xmas cuz im getting more and more brave thanx to the ace. great bike for pretty much anyone. hope sette comes out with a 5in model.

Purchased At:   pp

Similar Products Used:   GF cake

Bike Setup:   mz all mtn2,bb7(160r,185f)crosslands,2.35nevengals f-r,avid sd levers,x9rd/shifters,x7fd,evolve cranks w/bbg bashguard,smarty pedals,wtb pure seat,sette ryde dropper seatpost,sunline thick grips,syncros bar/stem(31.6),GUB headset,hope seatpost clamp,pg990 cassette/chain.

Submitted by ty1967 a Cross Country Rider from Oceanside, CA

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2009

Strengths:    Rear shock, price, light weight

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I picked this up on sale at Pricepoint. I couldn't pass up the price, it was over 50% off MSRP. I got the seat post used on ebay and I bought the new condition fork off a friend for $150. I bought most of the other components on sale off of Pricepoint and put it together for just under $2k, then I paid the wrenches at Performance to do some stuff that was giving me a headache like cutting and fitting the brake lines, and installing the cables and adjusting the derailleur. This is my second duel suspension bike, back in the 90's I rode a Trek with a Reese shock that sucked. The last ten years I have been riding a full carbon Diamond Back hardtail, so I can now really appreciate my new ride. I weighed the bike at Performance on their digital scale and it was 27.3 pounds.
I got a ride that cost me $2,200 including tax, shipping, and labor, and put together with better components than I see on $4k showroom models. I have put 80 miles on it over the last couple weeks, biffed twice, and I love it so far.

Favorite Trail:   Calaveres Lake

Similar Products Used:   94 Trek dual suspension frame

Bike Setup:   I built it up using Sram X.0 components, Hayes 9 brakes, Marzochii Fork TS2, Race Face headset and Deus XC cranks, tubless wheels, Sette carbon bars and stem, FSA carbon seatpost, and candy peddles.

Submitted by BR-26354 a Cross Country Rider from Idaho

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2009

Strengths:    The price and overall quality of the frame. I'm blown away with how solid and light this frameset is, and it works too. Also the Sette parts. The seat is quality as are the Sette stem and bars I ordered along with the bike to replace the no namers that come installed. The wheels a huge plus.

Weaknesses:    None so far, even the Tora 302 fork, which I've heard nothing but negative reviews of, has actually worked pretty well.

Bottom Line:
This bike works, and works really well. I was in a financial tight spot and couldn't spend the money I usually spend when buying a new bike, but I'm pleasantly surprised with how well this bike rides. It makes me question why I spent 3k plus on brand name bikes in the past when this one is showing me I don't have to. I'm sure I'll get a few weird looks from bike shop snobs, I don't give a crap.

The X-7 drive train and complimentary Truvative Fire X cranks are solid. Nothing flashy, just reliable and smooth. The fork could maybe use an upgrade down the road, but it's working for now. The Mavic X719 rims with XT hubs are awesome for the price of the bike as are the Juicy 3 brakes. As long as you know how to set up hydro discs then these brakes work great. No rubbing or squeaking and plenty of power. I laugh at all these noobs that think you need Avid CRs or top of the line Maguras to get a set of breaks that work well and do it quietly. It's all in the way you adjust them, and sorry, but any half-decent hydraulic brake is plenty powerful for a freakin' sub 30lb pedal bike.

The ride is great with this frame. No bob on the climbs and it decends really well, too, considering it's more of a XC setup. I ripped a piece of single track just as fast as I used to on my last bike that had a 130mm Manitou Minute fork and a slack 68.5 headtube. This bike is fast, up and down. Don't let the off-brand name fool you, this is a great bike worthy of upgrading, if you feel the need to.

Favorite Trail:   your mom

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale, Trek, Marin, Jamis and Iron Horse.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Sette Edge OS stem/bar combo in white, a set of Panaracer Rampage 2.35 tires, and an Answer Carbolite seat post I had from another bike.

Submitted by nice_camel_toe a Weekend Warrior from Bay Area, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2009

Strengths:    Value. You cannot beat the price to component ratio for this full suspension bike. After seeing the quality of the build in person at the 2009 Sea Otter Classic I was sold. Another plus is the Rock Shox Monarch(at this price of a bike its awsome). I have taken this bike to the technical trails at Rockville to the black diamonds at NorthStar and handled them well in both climbing and descending.

Weaknesses:    No real weaknesses. Bought this bike for my wife and use it as a backup. Purchased a small frame and fits both of us well (5'4" & 5'8"). But descrip should have said straight top tube when buying small frame. Stand over should be shorter too for small frame bike.

Bottom Line:
This bike is an awesome value. You will not be disappointed. I plan on upgrading the fork that is better suited for the monarch. Maybe a Fox TALAS so my wife can keep it at 100mm and have better stand over clearance.

Favorite Trail:   Rockville & NorthStar