Scott Spark Limited XC Full Suspension

• Chain: Shimano CN-HG93
  • Cassette: Shimano XTR CS-M970 11-32T

Submitted by coconuthugger a Cross Country Rider from Klamath falls,Oregon

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2009

Strengths:    I have owned a Scott spark ltd for two years now with no problems at all I weigh in at 185 and have had no problems with bike being fragile or dt swiss fork being spongy or flexing. I do not know what the guy in europe is talking about?Ilive in a high desert area with plenty of rock gardens everywhere in fact!!I also clock in about 65 miles of single track a month on very rough terrain!!! come on up to Klamath Falls,Oregon I will be happy to show you what I am talking about.The bike is bad ass!! Now I want the Scott genius ltd!!!

Weaknesses:    None in two years.

Bottom Line:
If I had a complaint it would be the clearcoat on all carbon mtb frames where as maybe its just cosmetic it still sucks when your beautiful multi thousand dollar frame is scratched the f@@k up!

Favorite Trail:   Jack rabbit

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Moots ybb,scott spark 30,Klein adroit,Kona sex one.

Bike Setup:   Full xtr.

Submitted by Scott-skeptic? a Cross Country Rider from Europe

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2009

Strengths:    Lightweight, adjustable rear travel (traction control), Remote lockout both front&rear, equipment mix

Weaknesses:    Overly lightweight/fragile, DT fork

Bottom Line:
At 72 kg (160 Lbs) I am no heavyweight, but the frame gave up on me just the other day...When everything works the bike feels fine, except for the stock DT XCR fork, which is no mach for a Fox F series or RS Reba performance - it feels just like the first SID that came out ages ago - spongy and flexy.
Otherwise I think it is a shame for a serious company to jeopardize bikes safety and integrity to gain 100 grams or even less!
Also I think this bike is overpriced!
Will go for a solid bike NEXT time!

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by espanolie a Cross Country Rider from Pasadena, CA

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2009

Strengths:    Solid Climber
Strong Descents
Lightweight
Carbon Strength
Beautiful Finish in Black and Carbon
Versatile for many types of trails

Weaknesses:    Black finish is delicate, especially on a mountain bike with a lot of possible debris to scratch/damage frame set

Bottom Line:
I have been riding a Giant MTB for several years matched to Sram X7 rear derailleur and shifters along with other Shimano XT components. I was ready for an upgrade.

I did a lot of reasearch on this website (mountainbikereview.com) reading and rereading articles about so many frame sets from Cannondale, Specialized, Trek, Giant and Scott. I was most impressed with Scott as they had a model with everything I was looking for pretaining to build and components. It certainly saved the trouble of building it myself. Besides, everyone has a Specialized or Trek - honestly, be different! From my short experience with this bike, it certainly is noticed and admired by others I find on the trail including those owning what I was comparing it to.

I bought my 2008 Scott Spark Limited used from the internet. The Seller claimed to have ridden it only a few times. After inspecting it upon arrival, I believed him. It was in near perfect condition. I realize I paid less than half the retail price, which was a great blessing to me. It was at my doorstep days before Thanksgiving 2008.

Though I'm not a professional rider by any means, I certainly consider myself an avid mountain bike cyclist. I like the change of pace from my road bike experiences. Riding in the drizzle, soft sprinkle or shortly after a rainstorm is my favorite times to ride. I love kicking up the mud!

My Scott Spark Limited rides like a dream! It climbs increibly well. I've played around with the lock out features for both shocks, and find it useful though not necessary. But since it's a remote lockout and so conveniently located on my bars, at first I used it all the time. Now, with the newness wearing off, I now use them periodically.

At first, I was concerned how it would handle downhills and its speed, since it weighs in at just a tick under 21 pounds complete with pedals. The DT Swiss XRC700 only has about 4 inches of travel while the DT Swiss rear shock has about the same travel of 4 inches or possibly less. Let me tell you, now that I've had over six months of enjoying my ride, downhill, uphill, jumps and turning in higher speeds is absolutely no problem for this machine. In fact, I have a trail not far from my house I would complete in my older bike, a Giant, in about 43 minutes. It's a narrower fire road with 7-10% grade climbs with a few bumps for fun. In my Scott Spark Limited, the same ride is done in 36 minutes. Bike alone I lost almost 10 pounds! You be the judge.

The frame is strong and stiff. I find it very responsive when I turn in tight corners as well as the long descents as I build speed. On the bumps and jumps, I dial in the shocks at a moderate setting and it's plenty for me, though I weigh 162.

The Sram XO components are a great compliment to the frame and shock component choices of DT Swiss make it a great performer. The Magura Marta SL brake set is crazy strong. While going down hill, I only use one finger to press the lever enough to slow down or stop.

This complete build will set you back retail of at least $8k. That's a lot for any bike, which is the lowest I saw on the internet brand new for this model. I've seen it also as high as $12k, brand new.

For my modest investment for what I received, I know I got a steal. I was at the right place at the right price. And now, I'm enjoying it to the fullest!

Favorite Trail:   Marshall Canyon

WTB Devo Carbon Saddle
Continental King Tires

Submitted by fabini a Cross Country Rider from miami

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2009

Strengths:    maneuverability is just amazing-extremely responsive-lightweight to say the least.you control this bike so easily it actually lets you get out of near falls more easily.

Weaknesses:    pricey

Bottom Line:
if you can afford it go for it-you'll be riding a dream bike.

Favorite Trail:   oleta

Purchased At:   bigwheels

Bike Setup:   scott ltd 09'frame-full xtr-dt swiss fork-dt swiss carbon wheels-formula R1 brakes-selle carbon saddle-schwalbe tires

Submitted by ScottSparkman a Cross Country Rider from Chicago, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2008

Strengths:    I was worried that it would be fragile ... but it is not. This bike is not only light, but very sturdy. Originally, we found a couple screws in the suspension that liked to loosen themselves every 4 hours or so. I little blue lock-tight and a torque wrench and I haven't heard a single noise since. This bike is light an solid.

Weaknesses:    I bought the Spark 30 so I could tailor some of the components to my tastes. I added the Ritchey WCS Carbon handlebars and a Ritchey WCS Carbon stem. The faceplate of my stem is carbon, better (cooler looking) than the one that comes on the OEM version. The wheels are a bit weak and I plan to replace them with some ZTR or Crossmax ST wheels. I also added the XTR front derailleur and I'm thinking about the X.O. rear derailleur. I guess I could have bought the Spark 20 instead of doing it myself. The Scott tires that came on it sucked. In one ride on a flat, rolling riverside trail I got three (3) flat tires! They were too thin for any regular use. It's tempting to become a weight weenie while owning one of these. Seriously, all of the weaknesses are pretty minor.

Bottom Line:
This bike kicks rear. It's light. It's solid. It's fast. It's available at pretty good prices now that it's been around for a year. The general layout of the cockpit is good and probably won't need much adjustment for most riders. And ... it has a lot of wow-factor built in.

Favorite Trail:   there's a local trail, technically illegal, but been there for years - Rosie's Bumps

Purchased At:   Higher Gear

Similar Products Used:   This is the nicest of all my past bikes. Giant Warp DS1 with all upgraded components. Specialized FSR. Santa Cruz Superlight D, also with upgrades.

Bike Setup:   Spark 30. Ritchey WCS Carbon riser bars with a 100 mm Ritchey WCS Carbon stem. I also found the Ritchey carbon 34.9 seatpost. I've added Crank Bros Acid 2 pedals and Hutchinson Python Light tires.

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Tucson Arizona USA

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2008

Strengths:    Scary lightweight, XC capable, full-suspension

Weaknesses:    Weren't we all here back in 1998?

Bottom Line:
It's a great ride. Very light, about 23 pounds in the larger frame, with four-inches-plus of suspension travel. My AMP B-5 did all of this back in 1998, with aluminum and titanium instead of carbon fiber, but it's nice to see that light F/S XC bikes are back.

Ride is good, well damped but noticeably stiffer than the old AMP, which had coil/oil shocks front (RockShox) and rear (AMP). Most likely this is probably due to the air-damped rear shock and fork. No doubt the C/F frame as well. Feels a little stiff when braking or accelerating (could be the seatstay pivot), compared to the AMP. I'm used to plush, lightweight F/S bikes, and don't see the need for the short-travel adjustment.

Bottom line: The right way to build a bike. Why aren't there more bikes like these, who needs 32+ pounds to lug around.