Scott Spark 60 XC Full Suspension

• 13.20 kg / 29.07 lbs weight

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by JR a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2013

Strengths:    Great Looking bike. Have received several compliments from random riders on the trails from how eye pleasing it is. The frame is great, not super light but not heavy at all. I haven't Weighed the bike yet but i'm guessing its around 30lbs.

If you were to pick apart the bike piece by piece you would see mostly lower to mid range components. But the Kit as a whole is fantastic for someone trying to get back into riding (like me) or someone starting out. Also, the future upgrade potential is fantastic.

Weaknesses:    Like i said before, it has lower to midrange components. But you can expect the Best for the Price you are getting the bike. It has no real weaknesses.

DT Swiss rear shock: I could tell you its crap but i haven't had any problems with it.
    Hydraulic Brakes: I believe they are the lowest end hydraulics Shinamo makes. But they are hydraulics... better than any mechanical in my opinion. They work great though.

The only true complaint i have:
    Saddle: I have had the bike for 12 days, about 20-25 hrs on the MTB bike trails and the color on the Syncros seat has almost rubbed off completely

Bottom Line:
    Let’s start by saying... I’m not a Pro by any means. I’m just starting to get back into the sport. After looking for used bikes around the $1500 mark i stumbled across this bike in a small shop. It was on Closeout for $1250. “New bike for $1250 with a ton of upgrade possibility,” I said to myself, “No brainer” and took the bike directly to the trails.

The bike rides great. Once i added a little air into my rear shock i was dialed in. Shifting, braking, and suspension all worked great and still does. The Schwalbe Rocket Ron stock tires grab nice. The Syncros Saddle is not the most comfortable for riding around the block but when your on the trails it works perfect.

I didn’t have any experience on a full suspension before but in contrast to my hardtail this bike wants to jump and i don’t have to work hard to get it airborne The Rock Shox Recon fork can absorb even the flattest of landings. I can take turns fast and hard, and any smaller roots and rocks on the trail feel like they were never there when burning down a line.

All in all: If you want higher end components stock on your bike go by a $5000+ bike. If you wanna nit-pick the bike thats fine... But me, I’m a firm believer that “the bike does not make the rider, the Rider makes the bike.”

This is a solid bike but not the best bike out there. But i will say that for the price you are getting the bike, it rocks and for me was the best! Don’t let haters, component junkies, or weight weenies discourage you cuz some of the guys with my experience that buy those higher end bikes move out of the way to let me pass them by.

Duration Product Used:   12 Days

Purchased At:   Sun Cycle

Submitted by divingtigger a Cross Country Rider from Pineapple under the frozen sea Canad

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2012

Strengths:    Very good bike for the price point. It has taken over as my everyday bike and I love it. It did do several upgrades left over from my Scalpel partout.

Weaknesses:    DT Swiss rear shock, would much rather have a fox rear and might upgrade to one at a later date, for the time being I just have it locked out all the time

Bottom Line:
    Definitely the way to go for bikers on a budget or for people with their own higher grade parts. The components on the bike are great and at the price you can save up some money to do a slow upgrade to what ever parts you like.

Selling point for me was the color, otherwise I probably would have gone with a 40 off the bat

Purchased At:   Overlook Mountain Bi

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Scalpel

Bike Setup:   I changed it over to a Sram X0 drive train with Race Face crank for now, more upgrades at a later date

Submitted by DJTRV a Weekend Warrior from newcastle, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2011

Strengths:    very robust bike, immensely light weight frame which helps on the uphill mountain climbs. shimano running gear works well if kept maintained with oil.
    twinlock system is a brilliant addition by Scott, works great for fire trails and riding on sealed roads to ensure you don't waste any energy on bouncing on the shock.
    Both front and rear shocks are easily adjustable to suit any ride, takes a little trial and error to find the optimum setting for yourself but a good result in the end.
    Shimano brakes aren't the most expensive or best you can buy however, they have a lot of feel and work great.

Weaknesses:    DT Swiss M210 shock seems to leak a lot of air, have spoken to the people where I purchased the bike and it seems im not the only one with the problem. apparently the seals inside can become dry and wear out to cause the air leak. I have been assured that once the seals are replaced, should never happen again...
    Scott seat is not the best on the market and could/should be upgraded to a softer, better version especially for longer rides.
    I paid a discounted price, $1000 less then retail, so for full price, could get a lot better bike.

Bottom Line:
    Fantastic bike all round and I would recommend to anyone. Even though it's an XC bike, the shocks and frame can take a serious beating and can handle most downhill trails. All shimano gear works great and gives peace of mind that it will last a long time.
    Was a little dissappointed at the DT Swiss rear shock but is an easy fix and still under warranty.
    Scott Twinlock system is the top selling point and I would not want a bike without one!

Favorite Trail:   Awaba state