Scott Spark 30 XC Full Suspension

• S M L XL sizes

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by MR a All Mountain Rider from Brisbane QLD Australia

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight, variable lock out, carbon frame, looks great

Weaknesses:    Brakes

Bottom Line:
    I purchased a 2010 display model so it is a couple of years old, got what I consider a super deal which is partly why i purchased this model. Overall really happy with the bike, my first duel suspension and pleased with the change. Good climber, probably better than i expected a duel sus to be. Alot better on the downhill than what I am use to with a hard tail. Really love the carbon, lightweight frame. I changed the stem to 80mm as I felt I was reaching a bit with the 100mm and changed the grips but other than that everything is stock. I would have prefered better shocks but for the price I paid I cant complain. The brakes are my only real and very small complaint, would prefer something better as these squeal alot at different times and are just good enough, will probably upgrade over time.

Purchased At:   Online

Bike Setup:   Standard set up, new stem and grips

Submitted by Veda a Racer from Indonesia

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2010

Strengths:    Super fast, one of the lightest fullsus frame in the market @ 1.79kg, acceptably stiff, forward geometry, remote for both front+rear in 1, finishing quality of the carbon frame, included parts of the 2010 models such as handlebar + stem + seatpost are acceptably light enough compared with top carbon parts.

Weaknesses:    Pedal bob when the shock is open. There's no way around it. Racing geometry can be overwhelming sometimes when you want to go slow during descents. External cable routing is busy.

Bottom Line:
    The best a non pedal bob free suspension design can be, compensated by the 3 stages front + back simultaneous lockout remote. The bad part is, since the pedal bob is unavoidable when the lock is open, there are times when I wish I can have just the rear locked (climbing comes to mind) and the fork at open position. That is just impossible with the twin-lock as it changes both shocks with every click. This can be remedied by changing the remote fork with something else like a Fox but that's more cost. All in all, the bike is quite balanced for all applications but the suspension design is a bit outdated compared to newer bikes such as DWLinks. However, they're gonna release the all new Spark at the end of 2011 anyway. In summary, this bike is the perfect bike for someone who only has 1 bike as it can be used for everything but doesn't excel in all.

Purchased At:   local dealer

Similar Products Used:   Many

Bike Setup:   Full X-9 components, Easton XC One wheels, super lights carbon parts inc 170gr Selle Italia gel saddle.

Submitted by gravelrash a Cross Country Rider from scarborough

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2010

Strengths:    Really fast bike that will also shrug off the rough stuff when you set up the clever twin lock suspension. The frame is very light and stiff. Nice looking colour scheme too

Weaknesses:    Not easy to pick a fault, I would probably change the brakes after a year or so, the wheels maybe arnt the lightest but spec is fine for me, easy to upgrade on the superb frame.

Bottom Line:
    I was looking for a strong, agile all day cross country speed machine that would make me laugh out loud whilst flying past my mates on their S works' something that climbs incredibly well. I definatley made the right choice in the Spark 30. If you are sick of having the dirt kicked in your face then buy one!

Favorite Trail:   Dalby

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   nothing like it

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by kevin0802 a Cross Country Rider from Flowery Branch, GA. USA

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2010

Strengths:    Fast....When I am on the trail others have real problems keeping up. I ride this bike very hard three to four times a week. Very good suspension, if you set it up right! Took me a year to get the full advantage out of it. Rear suspension control on the fly, love it! Like I said I take this bike on very rocky, roots, up and down fast hills with no problem at all. Before getting this I was afraid it would not be able to handle the trails in the Georgia Mtns. I have no problem with any thing I have ever came across. When I wear this one out I will get another. By the way I see no wear except on the tires. Keep your chain lubed, tire psi in line, suspension tuned, and you are good to go.

Weaknesses:    Spark 10 is lighter. I really have no complaints, I am sitting, thinking and can not come up with a single thing. It would be nice to have an extra water-bottle cage mount. I would probable never use it so no big deal.

Bottom Line:
    I am the type of person that is never happy with what I have. I alway want better. I am in fact happy with this one. The better I get the faster it gets and still it keeps going. What more do you want? Gave it a 4 for value do to me wanting every thing free or dirt cheap. I did in fact get a great deal on this used.

Favorite Trail:   what ever I get my wheels on.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   You name it I have tried it or seen it once.

Bike Setup:   Stock, replaced chain as I do every season. About to get some Rocket Rons I think.

Submitted by doonapj a Cross Country Rider from The Patch, Vic, Australia

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2009

Strengths:    Fast, perfect XC geometry, fast, no wasted input, fast, light.

Weaknesses:    None found so far

Bottom Line:
    I knew this bike was going to be good as I'd ridden my mate's Spark10 a couple of times, but I'm amazed how much quicker & easier this bike is to ride than my 2yo Stumpy. The bike feels alive, is very quick on flats, techo bits & climbing, and stable enough on descents. With my component changes it's nearly as light as a Spark20 but cheaper. I love it - best bike upgrade I've ever done, and that includes 3 decades of road riding & lots of road bikes.

Favorite Trail:   anything out my back door

Purchased At:   Pinnacle Cycles, Rin

Similar Products Used:   Various hardtails, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Bike Setup:   Standard except for Shimano XT XC wheelset, XT 11-34 cassette, XTR pedals, lock-on grips, soon to get carbon bars.

Submitted by Kim a Cross Country Rider from Seattle Washington

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2009

Strengths:    Frame and shock.

Weaknesses:    Wheels.

Bottom Line:
    This bike is a blast to ride. I was looking for a dualie as I am now in the land of roots and rocks, and descending is definitely my weak point. This bike is very light, very solid, and farmore durable than I had thought it would be. Having the on the fly suspension adjustment means I can have a hard tail to climb graded fire roads. A short travel for technical stuff or climbs that are really rough, and then a great medium travel bike chasing buddies down the decents.
    The only weak point in this bike is the wheels. CrossRide a a great robust wheel, but a little on the heavy side when compared to the other components of this bike. Lets face it they are an easy upgrade.
    At full price this is an expensive bike, but probably workth it. At $3000 or less this rocks.

Favorite Trail:   The Burns, Tolt Mac

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   KHS Montana Pro.

Bike Setup:   Stock with a longer Race Face stem. Thinknig of changing to a Fizik saddle as they suit me well.

Submitted by mjaws31 a Racer from Shokan, NY, US

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2009

Strengths:    The carbon frame is super light and with the DT swiss shock they keep the weight down. The fork, Rock Shox Reba, is not as good as the Fox Float RL, ive used both, and like the Fox better but the Reba is still a great fork.
    I am an avid racer and had the Scott Scale before this, their hardtail XC race bike, and the Spark climbs just as well with better traction on the loose climbs, plus it descends extremely well, with only 100mm of travel in the front and 110mm in the back you stay glued to the trail.

Weaknesses:    The groupset is not weak just average don't expect anything amazing from it.
    Other than that this bike is built extremely well.

Bottom Line:
    There is no one perfect bike that will suit eveyone, BUT, if you are looking for a well built carbon race bike this is the way to go. Even with the remote lockout all the way open there is little to no pedal bob. It makes all climbs comically easy and is stable enough for most gnarly downhill sections. I race 15-18 sport, and it helped me take 1st in my last three races.

Favorite Trail:   Shafer Farms

Purchased At:   Overlook Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, Gary Fisher Sugar 4
    Scott Scale 40 (hardtail)

Bike Setup:   everything is stock except a 110mm stem i put on to give it the extreme racy feel i like

Submitted by buynsell214 a Racer from Arlington, TX USA

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2009

Strengths:    Lightweight, Fast, Fast, Fast. Awesome looks! Ok, seriously now. The Mavic Crossrides are ok. Could be better but I'm a lean 215 lbs and 5'10" and I have stressed this wheelset and they hold up fine. Frame is plush and strong - love the geometry and feel of the way this carbon frame soaks up nature's imperfections. Shifter's could have been better but I just received a set of X.0's to swap out tomorrow along with all the shimano stuff. Crankset could be a higher quality but for the price and components you get without having to do the build yourself this wasn't a bad bike. The lifetime warranty on the frame from Scott is just an added bonus.

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
    Great Priced Full Carbon bike for the money!!! It's lightning fast and rock solid!

Favorite Trail:   Rockledge Park www.dorba.org

Purchased At:   Sun & Ski Sports

Similar Products Used:   Titus Motolite, Salsa El Santo, Haro Sonix, Specialized FSR

Bike Setup:   Stock so far

Submitted by Scott Spark 30 a Racer from St.Augustine Florida

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2008

Strengths:    Frameset-suspension works really well, climbs and descends extrememly well, just a fast bike.

Weaknesses:    none as I bought the bike and traded out all stock components for upgraded components

Bottom Line:
    this bike is completely upgraded and rides like a dream but I first test rode the Scott Spark 30 stock 6 months before I bought it and really fell in love with it. Stock or upgraded the Spark is one of the nicest bikes I've owned to date. I paid a big price for the upgrades but it was worth it to me. You could get this bike at a great price and burn up the stock components and upgrade later and have a top of the line xc race bike.

Favorite Trail:   Round Valley in Lebanon NJ

Purchased At:   Bicycles Etc.

Similar Products Used:   GT i-drive race (best bike I've owned) Trek Fuel ex8, Garry Fisher Team

Bike Setup:   Avid Juicy carbon brakes, Ritchey carbon seat post, San Marco Aspide saddle, Bontrager x-light carbon flat bar, Bontrager race x-lite tubeless wheels, Bontrager Gum-Bi tubeless tires, xtr front derailleur, Sram x-9 shifters and rear derailleur.

Submitted by BWAmondson a Cross Country Rider from Sheffield

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2008

Strengths:    Light, Strong, Quick, Stiff, Traction control located on handlebar, Front Shock, Looks great.

Weaknesses:    Brakes (Avid Juicy 5) are not great.

Bottom Line:
    I come from a road bikeground and my only previous experience on mountain bikes has generally involved using heavy cumbersome bikes. This is a very lightweight bike similar in feel to a road bike due to te carbon fibre frame and riding position. Ideal as a cross country bike the traction control button for the rear shock is located on the handlebars allowing you to change the ride to suit the conditions. The options are; locked out for when you are on roads, traction (70mm travel)which is great on the majority of most rides ride and finally fully-open (110mm travel) which is great when you have an aggressive down hill section. The front suspension is also adjustable this is a more standard set-up involving an adjustment switch on the front right fork.

Once you get the hang of using this system it is something that becomes as natural as changing gear and you will be suprised how often you make subtle changes throughout your ride.

You are paying for the Carbon frame and this is definately taken into account with the gears (Shimano LX) which i have found to be a bit agricultural and the brakes (Avid Juicy 5) which are poor. This though is to be expected on a lightweight carbon bike at this end of the price range. If you want better components then you are need to look at the Scott Spark 10 or 20. The difference in price between the 30 and 20 was about £800 - 1200 and to be honest you can use the standard Spark 30 for the first year and add better components to it if you decide you need to. The only components i am definately going to change are the brakes.

All in all i am absolutely thrilled with this bike, it has got me off the roads and into the woods absolutely brilliant on singletracks, so fast it is frightening. It is very strong and you will be amazed at what the bike will let you ride over. I have gone from being a poor mountain bike rider to one of the better ones in our group purely through the bike allowing me to have more confidence to attack sections I would normally avoid and on any uphill sections i have ended up just leaving people behind.

One final point, I purchased this from Westbrook cycles in Middlesborough. Fantasic price (£1350)and outstanding service. I would definately recommend them.

Favorite Trail:   Dalby Forest

Price Paid:    $1950.00

Purchased At:   Westbrook Cycles - M

Similar Products Used:   There isnt one!

Bike Setup:   Standard Specification straight out of the box.

Submitted by shook a Weekend Warrior from Groningen, Netherlands

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2008

Strengths:    Carbon Frame & Remote adjustable rear-suspension

Weaknesses:    The juicy 5's are not that strong and the wheels are good, but a tad heavy. I'll probably replace them, but it's not necessary.

Bottom Line:
    The bike just works great. Good climber on technical trails. Confident on going downhill. Rear-sus lockout when on the road. The frame is very solid/stiff and still very agile. 3 chillis 'cause of cheaper brakes/wheels. 5 chillis overall 'cause it's just a very very great bike.

Favorite Trail:   Sleen

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper FSR XC, Cube hardtails

Bike Setup:   Changed steer for straight carbon one. Rest == factory componentry

Submitted by julie a Racer from avon, colorado

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2008

Strengths:    Climbs like a dream and can take a hit, agressive geometry, Least expensive carbon frame I could get my hands on

Weaknesses:    hmmm. . .can't think of one, Scott really thought of everything

Bottom Line:
    For the price I got it, it could not be beaten. . . I had to break up with my boyfriend because I am having a love affair with this bike!!! Can't wait for race season

Favorite Trail:   horsethief, fruita, colorado